PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare's National Enrollment Looks OK, But States Matter More

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 11:13 AM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/03/28/295255808/obamacare-s-national-enrollment-looks-ok-but-states-matter-more

With this year's deadline to register for individual health insurance just a weekend away, much attention is being lavished on two numbers — the who have signed up so far, and the percentage of those folks who are (or aren't) young.

But experts say the national numbers actually don't mean very much.

"These are really state-based markets," says Caroline Pearson, vice president at , a consulting firm based in Washington D.C. Because each insurance market is run within each individual state, big numbers in some states can't make up for shortfalls in others.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2014/03/27/ap636939535099_wide-a43e03224cf5581494b2fa6f584be837b35d27d0-s4-c85.jpg

Mainecoons
03-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Once again:

1. How many of them have actually paid and have insurance cards?
2. How many are free or heavily subsidized?
3. How many have actually tried to or been able to use these policies with their high deductibles and copays?

I know that if I were a doc or hospital and someone showed up with one of those policies, I would require proof of ability to pay the deductible and the copay before accepting the patient. That of course doesn't include the mandatory emergency care for which those of us who actually have decent and usable insurance policies are already paying for.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Once again:

1. How many of them have actually paid and have insurance cards?
2. How many are free or heavily subsidized?
3. How many have actually tried to or been able to use these policies with their high deductibles and copays?

I know that if I were a doc or hospital and someone showed up with one of those policies, I would require proof of ability to pay the deductible and the copay before accepting the patient. That of course doesn't include the mandatory emergency care for which those of us who actually have decent and usable insurance policies are already paying for.

Can't, CMS reg.