PDA

View Full Version : New airport signs intended to curb child sex trafficking

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Progressiveism at it's finest.

I flew out of the Buffalo NY airport often, at one time they had signs there that basically were bombs (the bowling ball type with a fuse) with a red circle and line through them.

Like someone would be walking through the airport with a bomb, see that and say "ah shit, I have to leave this in the car".

De-evolution.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/new-airport-signs-intended-curb-child-sex-traffick/nfMxF/

ATLANTA — Hundreds of signs are now up at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in an effort to raise awareness and curb child sex trafficking.

The signs are required under a new Georgia law that mandates the toll free number (1-888-373-7888) to the National Human Trafficking Resource Center be posted at airports, bus stations, strip clubs and other establishments.

The signs say, “Are you or someone you know being sold for sex or made/forced to work for little or no pay and cannot leave?”

nathanbforrest45
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Its plainly obvious to all but the most demented that if there were no sign its a clear sign that carrying a bomb in the airport is legal and acceptable.

Ravi
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Sex slavery is big business and a lot of the slaves don't know where to turn for help. I don't see a problem with this.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Sex slavery is big business and a lot of the slaves don't know where to turn for help. I don't see a problem with this.

Thank God for airports then I guess.

:facepalm:

Ravi
03-28-2014, 11:56 AM

How do you suppose they get brought into the country? They should go further and make the signs in multiple languages.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 11:57 AM
How do you suppose they get brought into the country? They should go further and make the signs in multiple languages.

So you expect measurable results then?

The Xl
03-28-2014, 11:58 AM

http://themostrequested.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/EdLover-CMonSon-Ep16.jpg

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that what they're doing to you is illegal and nearly everywhere in public is where you should turn for help.

The Xl
03-28-2014, 11:58 AM

Word to motha

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 11:59 AM
http://themostrequested.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/EdLover-CMonSon-Ep16.jpg

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that what they're doing to you is illegal and nearly everywhere in public is where you should turn for help.

Yeah, that was kinda my point.

It's like putting up a sign that says "Is someone beating you with a baseball bat? You should go see the police if so".

Ravi
03-28-2014, 11:59 AM
So you expect measurable results then?
If it saves one kid it's worth it.

I've read of cases where the victim didn't actually know they were a victim because they are not from this country and don't know our laws.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Not true.

If the money used for this campaign that saves one kid were used in a more useful campaign that saved hundreds or thousands of kids...

Yeah, sorry - I know. Liberal logic.

Ravi
03-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Not true.

If the money used for this campaign that saves one kid were used in a more useful campaign that saved hundreds or thousands of kids...

Yeah, sorry - I know. Liberal logic.

I imagine there are other monies being spent to catch the offenders. And signs aren't all that expensive.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 12:05 PM
I imagine there are other monies being spent to catch the offenders. And signs aren't all that expensive.

If bureaucrats are running the campaign then yes, they're very expensive.

Ravi
03-28-2014, 12:06 PM
It's a non-profit organization. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to send them a donation.

People that take advantage of kids are scum.

http://www.polarisproject.org/human-trafficking/sex-trafficking-in-the-us

The Xl
03-28-2014, 12:08 PM
It's a non-profit organization. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to send them a donation.

Of course. But this is a largely useless course of action.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Non-profit organizations are among the most inefficient, bureaucratic organizations around. Trust me, I've made a career out of fixing them. Just ask Senator Grassley.

Having said that, it's good karma.

Ravi
03-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Non-profit organizations are among the most inefficient, bureaucratic organizations around. Trust me, I've made a career out of fixing them. Just ask Senator Grassley.

Having said that, it's good karma.
Don't be such a defeatist. First you say the government can't do anything right, now you say neither can non-profits. I guess no one can. :rolleyes:

They have some of their success stories on their website.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Don't be such a defeatist. First you say the government can't do anything right, now you say neither can non-profits. I guess no one can. :rolleyes:

They have some of their success stories on their website.

Funny you say that, I've compared non-profit organizations to governmental bureaucracies often.

The culture is very similar. No competition, laid back, no sense of urgency, mindset of virtually unlimited resources.

It's one of the reasons why hospitals (most of them being NFP's) started going in the shitter fast when CMS started tightening reimbursement screws 20 years ago.

Ravi
03-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Funny you say that, I've compared non-profit organizations to governmental bureaucracies often.

The culture is very similar. No competition, laid back, no sense of urgency, mindset of virtually unlimited resources.

It's one of the reasons why hospitals (most of them being NFP's) started going in the shitter fast when CMS started tightening reimbursement screws 20 years ago.

I don't see any for profit business expressing any interest in the sex trade. Well, except for profit.

Cthulhu
03-28-2014, 12:54 PM

You need to educate yourself on the topic. Some of the victims are adults, more often than not they are underage with falsified paperwork. Many times they live under threat to their loved ones.

I don't think this will stop anything, but if they did manage to call the numbers and get help, they could potentially do a bust. I think it is a great idea.

But airports are not the most common methods of getting them into the country. Canadian and Mexican borders are because pre-existing smuggling routes aid them.

nic34
03-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Progressiveism at it's finest.

I flew out of the Buffalo NY airport often, at one time they had signs there that basically were bombs (the bowling ball type with a fuse) with a red circle and line through them.

Like someone would be walking through the airport with a bomb, see that and say "ah shit, I have to leave this in the car".

De-evolution.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/new-airport-signs-intended-curb-child-sex-traffick/nfMxF/

And we know for certain PC-ness only comes from them tax-raising, latte-drinking, sushi-eating, volvo-driving, new york times-reading, lib-ral per-gressives ..... ta think, some of 'em don't even eat MEET! :laugh:

patrickt
03-28-2014, 04:20 PM
And we know for certain PC-ness only comes from them tax-raising, latte-drinking, sushi-eating, volvo-driving, new york times-reading, lib-ral per-gressives ..... ta think, some of 'em don't even eat MEET! :laugh:

My god, Nic, you're catching on.

As for the signs, I doubt they do a lick of good but they don't hurt anything.

Adelaide
03-29-2014, 01:10 PM
It's a bigger problem than most people realise. I'm really supportive of any actions taken to try and deal with trafficking so long as the techniques are smart (not a waste of money for the sake of appearances).

Blackrook
04-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Sex slaves know that if they are rescued by the police, the next thing that happens is they get deported to their home country. That's why they DON'T seek help.

nathanbforrest45
04-02-2014, 06:54 AM

I've read of cases where the victim didn't actually know they were a victim because they are not from this country and don't know our laws.

You are joking right? Well, I didn't know it was against the law to make me do something against my will so although I really didn't want to do this I accept my fate.

Slaves, knowing it was legal prior to the civil war, still tried to escape and gain freedom. To claim they accept their fate because they thought it was legal is stupidity at its finest