PDA

View Full Version : $100 to Fly Through the Airport

Stoney
03-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Hate the full-body scans, pat-downs and slow going at TSA airport security screening checkpoints? For $100, you can now bypass the hassle.

Yahoo Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/100-fly-airport-033100993.html)

I guess the Obama administration does like people with money after all.

MMC
03-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Personally I would like to see all the Airline industries take a nose dive. Wish the majority of the people around the world would not use them. Bet then they will drop those prices to make it affordable to travel. By this means.

Is that for just American Citizens?

Mister D
03-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I don;t often fly so I don;t consider the security procedures a hassle.

MMC
03-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Yeah I don't fly much either anymore. Use to take a parachute with me when I did. Just in case! :wink:

Mister D
03-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah I don't fly much either anymore. Use to take a parachute with me when I did. Just in case! :wink:

My father was airborne. Forget that shit.

MMC
03-16-2012, 09:01 PM
My father was airborne. Forget that shit.

Nothing wrong with that Bro.....tell ya Father, I said respect and more importantly. Sua Sponte! :icon_salut:

Mister D
03-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Nothing wrong with that Bro.....tell ya Father, I said respect and more importantly. Sua Sponte! :icon_salut:

I'm not one to jump out of planes but I'll let him know. :smiley:

MMC
03-16-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm not one to jump out of planes but I'll let him know. :smiley:

Was he a WWII Vet? Korea? NAM? You never said anything before. So was ya an Army Brat?

Mister D
03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Was he a WWII Vet? Korea? NAM? You never said anything before. So was ya an Army Brat?

Nah. He was long out of the service when I was born. He was wounded in the Belgian Congo or Algeria. I forget exactly where. He was part of a UN peace keeping force that was mostly Dutch. 1960-1961. Got to shake President Kennedy's hand in Paris.

MMC
03-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Still I think they charge to much money to fly. Does anyone see flying being for only the priviliged few. Since they will be the only ones to afford to.

Conley
03-16-2012, 11:34 PM
The problem now as I see it is that all the airlines are merging. Less competition means fewer price wars and they can charge whatever they want without other competitors.

MMC
03-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Truthfully how many will be able to take their whole family anywheres this way? The vacation thingy. I think the last time I flew anywheres was down to Dallas/FT Worth back in the 90's. Thats how long it has been since I have flown.

Although I was ready to book a helicopter flight/Tour over the City of Chicago. I was going to surprise my wife with it on our Annivesary. Dinner Downtown and a Weekend at the Four Seasons. I had to opt out for a Dinner and a movie. As she had a play she was in. They had called her to play her Flute and Piccolo with the orchestra.

Mister D
03-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Still I think they charge to much money to fly. Does anyone see flying being for only the priviliged few. Since they will be the only ones to afford to.

I was looking at flights to LA because I want to visit my brother. I booked a flight in late April. I could only find a one week period where the flights were reasonably priced. I found one for $279 but I paid $339 for a later flight. My laziness got the better of me. :undecided: Anyway, it's round trip and non-stop so I think it's fine. All the other dates I entered into Orbitz and Priceline came back with outrageous prices. $700 plus ! $800 plus! Non-stops over a grand!

Stoney
03-17-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm not familiar enough with the airlines industry to say a whole lot about prices, but artificial prices are always high and always caused by government intervention.

I thought it interesting that government favors one class of flyer over another.

Mister D
03-17-2012, 09:45 AM
I feel bad for my buddy. He flies his wife and 3 kids to Germany every year to see the wife's parents. He often mentions the problems he has finding a decent price.

Conley
03-17-2012, 09:55 AM
I was looking at flights to LA because I want to visit my brother. I booked a flight in late April. I could only find a one week period where the flights were reasonably priced. I found one for $279 but I paid $339 for a later flight. My laziness got the better of me. :undecided: Anyway, it's round trip and non-stop so I think it's fine. All the other dates I entered into Orbitz and Priceline came back with outrageous prices. $700 plus ! $800 plus! Non-stops over a grand!

$340 for round trip non-stop Newark (or wherever) to LAX is a great job!

Mister D
03-17-2012, 09:58 AM
$340 for round trip non-stop Newark (or wherever) to LAX is a great job!

Louis Armstrong airport in Louisiana. It's in New Orleans.

Conley
03-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Louis Armstrong airport in Louisiana. It's in New Orleans.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the other L.A. :embarrassed: I remember that's where he is now.

Mister D
03-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Oh, I thought you were talking about the other L.A. :embarrassed: I remember that's where he is now.

Still, I think that's a reasonable price. I don't understand what makes the prices soar one day and not the next. There shouldn't be a $400 difference.

Conley
03-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Agreed. I guess they can charge whatever they want though.

Mister D
03-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Agreed. I guess they can charge whatever they want though.

Sure seems like it. I'm not sure some of the rates I saw can be justified.

MMC
03-17-2012, 12:09 PM
I never did understand that idea of it's the weekend, so charge more.

Mister D
03-17-2012, 12:11 PM
I never did understand that idea of it's the weekend, so charge more.

Wasn't just the weekends and the price difference is HUGE. In some cases it was more than twice as much.

Mainecoons
03-17-2012, 04:02 PM
When I was a young man, flying was pretty much for the privileged few. They did have those charters that were the first cattlecars of the air. Then, next thing we knew, the charters were gone and everything was like flying on cattlecars.

It may be back to the future for flying.

Stoney
03-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Corporate CEO's are tasked with getting as much return to their investors as they can. The great equalizer is competition if government doesn't limit it.