PDA

View Full Version : Slow cooker recipes

Mister D
03-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Post 'em here.

Can I cook a whole chicken?

Bob
03-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Depends on the size of your slow cooker. Or how small the chicken is. And of course, if it is dead or alive. :smiley:

Mister D
03-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Depends on the size of your slow cooker. Or how small the chicken is. And of course, if it is dead or alive. :smiley:

It looks like it might fit. That said, should I add vegis? Will they slowly cook in the fat? Does it make sense to do it that way? Or would roasting it be better? I happen to have a bird in the fridge that's why I'm asking about whole chickens.

Peter1469
03-29-2014, 04:40 PM
There is no reason why you couldn't cook a whole bird, assuming size isn't an issue. But it will likely fall off the bone, so it could be tricky.

Check the internet for suggestions. I can look in a couple of cookbooks that I have when I get home tomorrow.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 04:42 PM
There is no reason why you couldn't cook a whole bird, assuming size isn't an issue. But it will likely fall off the bone, so it could be tricky.

Check the internet for suggestions. I can look in a couple of cookbooks that I have when I get home tomorrow.

Ah, that could be a problem. I'd have a mass on my hands.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Just took it out of the box 20 minutes ago.

Peter1469
03-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Ah, that could be a problem. I'd have a mass on my hands.

In school I always found pork roasts on sale. I would get a 6 lbs pork roast and put pineapple and honey on it and cook it for 10-12 hours on low. The meat would melt in your mouth. I also find that I have to use extra salt with crock pot receipts (but I like salt.)

Peter1469
03-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Just took it out of the box 20 minutes ago.

The crock pot? Wash it first.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 04:49 PM
The crock pot? Wash it first.

Yeah. I plan on it. Maybe I'll start small. Just some turkey drumsticks and vegis.

Peter1469
03-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Yeah. I plan on it. Maybe I'll start small. Just some turkey drumsticks and vegis.

I add some chicken or beef broth for moister.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 04:51 PM
I add some chicken or beef broth for moister.

Is liquid a must? I meant to ask that.

Bob
03-29-2014, 04:55 PM
It looks like it might fit. That said, should I add vegis? Will they slowly cook in the fat? Does it make sense to do it that way? Or would roasting it be better? I happen to have a bird in the fridge that's why I'm asking about whole chickens.

First, anybody can google recipes for slow cookers.

I believe you first put in the vegetables you want in it. And the meat is last.

I personally cut up such birds. I suppose it can be put in whole but you cut it up at that point if it is not falling apart. That depends on cooking time.

What i did is buy a couple of recipe books that are for slow cookers.

Today, the easy way is to look what you can find on a good cooking site.

Were it me, I would look up America's Test Kitchen if you want the best recipes

As to slow cooking or roasting.

I prefer roasting since it is faster and does a nice job.

Bob
03-29-2014, 04:56 PM

Slow cookers do not require much liquid.

Captain Obvious
03-29-2014, 04:57 PM

Yes, but don't overdo it or you'll just wind up boiling it.

The best way is to just pay attention to what you try and see what works best for you.

My wife likes to finish it when it's just barely done, I like to slow cook the shit out of it - until stuff starts to brown or burn slightly - again, depending on what I'm cooking.

We don't cook a lot of meat - chicken or whatnot, bone-in stuff I mean. Anything with noodles, soups, stews, BBQ, that kind of stuff is what I like.

Captain Obvious
03-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Yeah, what Bob said - tons of google recipes out there.

I'll post a couple of mine when I get around to it.

Halushki is one must in a crock pot. Basically heavy egg noodles, cabbage, butter, salt/pepper. A MUST to cook a looooong time first.

Bob
03-29-2014, 04:59 PM

Vegetables go in first. Don't put the meat in first. Go spare on liquids. It is too easy to put in too much. Broths as Peter says work fine. Chicken broth is good. I use Swansons for the liquid but happen to like the paste better that is low sodium. It comes in rather small jars.

Oh, when you cut vegetables, try to keep them to the same sizes as you are able.
Carrots, celery, potatoes and even parsnips work great.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes, but don't overdo it or you'll just wind up boiling it.

The best way is to just pay attention to what you try and see what works best for you.

My wife likes to finish it when it's just barely done, I like to slow cook the shit out of it - until stuff starts to brown or burn slightly - again, depending on what I'm cooking.

We don't cook a lot of meat - chicken or whatnot, bone-in stuff I mean. Anything with noodles, soups, stews, BBQ, that kind of stuff is what I like.

I just want to try it out. I'll add a cup of broth to the drumsticks. They are pretty safe I hear so I'll do it on a workday.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Yeah, what Bob said - tons of google recipes out there.

I'll post a couple of mine when I get around to it.

Halushki is one must in a crock pot. Basically heavy egg noodles, cabbage, butter, salt/pepper. A MUST to cook a looooong time first.

Sounds tasty

Captain Obvious
03-29-2014, 05:01 PM
I just want to try it out. I'll add a cup of broth to the drumsticks. They are pretty safe I hear so I'll do it on a workday.

The skin will be mushy, keep that in mind.

If it were me, I'd dump a bottle of bbq sauce in there. Or oyster sauce, sriracha, soy maybe.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Vegetables go in first. Don't put the meat in first. Go spare on liquids. It is too easy to put in too much. Broths as Peter says work fine. Chicken broth is good. I use Swansons for the liquid but happen to like the paste better that is low sodium. It comes in rather small jars.

Oh, when you cut vegetables, try to keep them to the same sizes as you are able.
Carrots, celery, potatoes and even parsnips work great.

Carrots for sure, Seems perfect for a slow cooker.

Captain Obvious
03-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Sounds tasty

Yeah, but plan on tripling your run time the next day.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 05:02 PM
lol

Bob
03-29-2014, 05:03 PM
America's test kitchen has videos, shows on PBS and work hard to create very great recipes. They have annual services where you can see them online and get recipe books sent to you. I have a small collection of their books.

Often around 1 pm the show comes on. I noticed it first on Sundays but learned it is also on PBS various other days of the week. Check your PBS to find it.

Google America's Test Kitchen or Cooks country.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 05:04 PM
I've seen the show.

Bob
03-29-2014, 05:06 PM
As has been pointed out, the liquid means you are boiling rather than slow cooking. I have made that error by dumping in liquids thinking it would boil down. Wrong....

A little liquid goes a long way. Vegetables provide more liquid as does meat.

America's test kitchen favors Swansons for liquid.

I also favor Better than Bullion reduced sodium ... reduced base.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=better+than+bouillon&tag=googhydr-20&index=gourmet&hvadid=29642650627&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5421377393271684348&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1ajnhojob6_b

I buy it from Smart and Final a chain store that might be in your area.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 05:07 PM
As has been pointed out, the liquid means you are boiling rather than slow cooking. I have made that error by dumping in liquids thinking it would boil down. Wrong....

A little liquid goes a long way. Vegetables provide more liquid as does meat.

Understood.

Bob
03-29-2014, 05:13 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Cooker-Revolution-Editors-Americas-Kitchen/dp/1933615699

oceanloverOH
03-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Mister D, long time no talk! Of course you know I had to chime in on a recipe thread! Here's my favorite whole-chicken recipe for the crockpot:

Best Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
Large chicken requires a 5-qt or 6-qt crockpot, small chicken requires a 3-qt or 4-qt crockpot

Prep: 10 min
Cook: 8 hours
Stand: 15 min
Total: 8 hours, 25 min
Serves: 4

2 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper (gives the chicken skin a little zing)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 ½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup chopped onions
½ cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 large roasting chicken (about 5-6 lb) (see note below for smaller 3-4 lb chicken)
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 jar sliced mushrooms
½ bag frozen peas or green beans or corn (optional)

In a ziploc baggie, add the spices and shake to mix. Remove and discard any giblets, wash chicken and pat dry. Brush chicken with melted butter. Sprinkle the spice mixture generously onto the chicken, coating it evenly. When ready to cook, put onions, celery, carrots, bell pepper, garlic and bay leaf in bottom of crockpot and mix together. Place prepared chicken on top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. When chicken is done, remove to platter and allow to stand for 15 min before carving. Meanwhile, pour drippings and vegetables from crockpot into large saucepan. Add can of soup, jar of mushrooms (and frozen vegetables if using) and mix well. Simmer over medium heat till thickened (about 5 min). If gravy seems too thin for your taste, mix 1 Tbsp water and 1 Tbsp cornstarch together and add to gravy; continue simmering till thickened. Fish out and discard bay leaf. Carve chicken and serve chunks of chicken and gravy over cooked rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.

NUTRITION:
70 grams fat, 9 grams carbohydrates, 61 grams protein per serving.
Note: If you have a smaller crockpot, use a 3-lb chicken. You'll only need 1 Tbsp melted butter and half the spices; reduce veggies by half, use the same amounts of everything else. Serves 2.

Mister D
03-29-2014, 05:34 PM
I lured you in! :grin:

It's 3.5 pounder. I like how you can make a gravy. I like this. :smiley:

Bob
03-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Sounds good to me so I put it in my recipes and printed it out. I shall try it tomorrow.

Bob
03-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Crock Pots often prove to be disappointing. I still advise checking with America's test kitchen since they have some proven recipes.

Germanicus
03-29-2014, 06:24 PM
I used to make Roast on Saturday at this Cafe. You can make huge profit margins on a roast. It was like a thing. Roast are a great thing to sell. You compare the profit on selling your roast to selling say frozen fish and it is incredible. You really cant make much on products from a wholesaler. The profit margins are small on most things you sell in a cafe. You make fuck all on drinks, deep fried stuff and chocolates/lollies. We had BYO( evening )and did a heap of meals and that was the place to make your cash. Sat take away roasts were the easiest money to be made in my cafe. ( My girlfriend was in charge of meals. I cant cook very well really ) One time I was actually in charge of the roast. And I fucked up and forgot it. SO all these regulars missed their roast. It was like the end of the wordl for my gf. I really didnt give a fuck. It was kinda funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1YV9Bj72c

Oh my god I want to fuck Naomi Watts. Ever seen Brides of Christ? Good lord.

Bob
03-29-2014, 06:33 PM
We have people here wanting to cook and this dude from Australia wants to do what to Naomi Watts?

What sort of person does that to cooking threads?

Dr. Who
03-29-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm hoping to find out how Mister D 's chicken came out. I really like slow cooked chicken, although I might cut it up first.

darroll
03-29-2014, 07:55 PM
I take a whole plucked chicken.
I put it on a tray in the crock.
Fill with water just below the tray.
Let it cook all night and just in time for tomorrows dinner.
Add veggies and enjoy.

Bob
03-29-2014, 08:07 PM
I found one of those Super 8 Packard Convertibles of the same year as the one I traded in for a new Chevrolet today for a mere $200,000

Damn, i made a mistake taking $600 for that car.

I bet it is next to impossible to find parts for that old car.

<----------------------------

oceanloverOH
03-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Sounds good to me so I put it in my recipes and printed it out. I shall try it tomorrow.

Bob; Mister D: if either of you give this a try, let me know how it comes out. I've tried many crockpot chicken recipes and this one is by far the best; I got the basic recipe from the internet then started tweaking over several months till I got it just right for my taste!

Bob
03-30-2014, 11:48 AM
@Bob (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1013); @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4): if either of you give this a try, let me know how it comes out. I've tried many crockpot chicken recipes and this one is by far the best; I got the basic recipe from the internet then started tweaking over several months till I got it just right for my taste!

I certainly will. My plan is to use the chicken breasts I have frozen.

Mister D
03-30-2014, 12:19 PM
@Bob (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1013); @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4): if either of you give this a try, let me know how it comes out. I've tried many crockpot chicken recipes and this one is by far the best; I got the basic recipe from the internet then started tweaking over several months till I got it just right for my taste!

This is kind of like a stew so I think I have this down. Will do! This is cool because I can throw it all in and go to work. I don't even need to make a lot. That reminds me, how much electricity does a slow cooker use?

Mister D
03-30-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm hoping to find out how @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4) 's chicken came out. I really like slow cooked chicken, although I might cut it up first.

I was going to try some turkey drumsticks first but I was thinking about what CO said about mushy skin and reconsidered.

oceanloverOH
03-31-2014, 04:10 AM
I was going to try some turkey drumsticks first but I was thinking about what CO said about mushy skin and reconsidered.

The skin is not good for you, has nothing nutritious in it....all fat and connective tissue. I remove it from the cooked chicken (peels right off) in large pieces and simmer it in the gravy for that last bit of flavor from the spices that were rubbed into it, then fish it out and toss it before serving the gravy.

As for the electricity usage, here's and interesting little article:
http://food.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/10/crock_pot_cooking.php

Mister D
03-31-2014, 09:42 AM
The skin is not good for you, has nothing nutritious in it....all fat and connective tissue. I remove it from the cooked chicken (peels right off) in large pieces and simmer it in the gravy for that last bit of flavor from the spices that were rubbed into it, then fish it out and toss it before serving the gravy.

As for the electricity usage, here's and interesting little article:
http://food.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/10/crock_pot_cooking.php

I'm trying to gain weight. :wink: Plus, after roasting the fat is long gone. It melts over the meat.

Great article. Thanks! I use a gas stove so this won't save me any $$$ but it doesn't look like it will be a significant change either way.

Captain Obvious
03-31-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm trying to gain weight. :wink: Plus, after roasting the fat is long gone. It melts over the meat.

Great article. Thanks! I use a gas stove so this won't save me any $$$ but it doesn't look like it will be a significant change either way.

Peanuts

Mister D
03-31-2014, 12:36 PM
Peanuts

Cool I was just asking some girls at work. I will start using it tomorrow morning. I'll wash it tonight and defrost the Pork chop.

Captain Obvious
03-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Cool I was just asking some girls at work. I will start using it tomorrow morning. I'll wash it tonight and defrost the Pork chop.

No - peanuts to gain weight.

Mister D
03-31-2014, 01:04 PM
No - peanuts to gain weight.

lol I buy them every so often. hey aren't something I can eat every week though.

Dr. Who
03-31-2014, 07:46 PM
lol I buy them every so often. hey aren't something I can eat every week though.

If you make Thai food you can eat them more often. Peanut sauce. Satay. You can also add them to salad.

Mister D
03-31-2014, 07:47 PM
If you make Thai food you can eat them more often. Peanut sauce. Satay. You can also add them to salad.

not a fan of Asian cuisine.

Dr. Who
03-31-2014, 07:49 PM
not a fan of Asian cuisine.

Too bad. I love Asian foods, but I don't know what you've tried. Bad Asian food is terrible.

Mister D
03-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Too bad. I love Asian foods, but I don't know what you've tried. Bad Asian food is terrible.

It's psychological. I got sick twice from a good, clean, popular place. There must be an ingredient that doesn't agree with me. I actually like some of the dishes.

Dr. Who
03-31-2014, 08:44 PM
It's psychological. I got sick twice from a good, clean, popular place. There must be an ingredient that doesn't agree with me. I actually like some of the dishes.It could be MSG which is used extensively in Asian restaurants. Many people have an allergic reaction. You don't have to use it when making Asian food yourself. I don't use it, although I'm not allergic. MSG is found in many pre-prepared foods under other names:

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Hydrolyzed Protein, Hydrolyzed Plant Protein, Plant Protein Extract,Sodium Caseinate, Calcium Caseinate, Yeast Extract, Textured Protein, Autolyzed Yeast, Hydrolyzed Oat flour, Malt extract, Malt Flavoring, Bouillon, Broth Stock, Flavoring, Natural Flavoring, Natural Beef or Chicken Flavoring,, Seasoning, Spices, Carrageenan, Enzymes, Soy Protein Concentrate, S oy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate.

Often the extent of the reaction depends on the quantity of MSG in the food. Some Asian restaurants advertise that they don't use MSG since so many people are allergic.

Ingredients in Asian food are not that exotic - other than MSG. Asian dishes typically include soya sauce, garlic, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, possibly five spice, asian pepper, anise and various bean curds or fermented bean sauces and possibly sugar or honey as well as meat or fish and very fresh vegatables. There may also be Szechwan pepper*. I know you're not allergic to beans, so probably not to fermented soya beans or soya sauce. They typically deep fry or stir fry in peanut oil, but if you're not allergic to peanuts, peanut oil is probably not a problem.

*Szechwan pepper is not a pepper at all, but is included in five spice. It comes from the dried buds from certain trees in the citrus family. There is always a chance that you are allergic, but they are only used in Szechwan (aka Sichuan) cuisine.