PDA

View Full Version : The Cosmos: A Space Odyssey

bladimz
03-31-2014, 05:00 PM
After watching the first few episodes, i think the show is dynamite (Big Bang... get it?). It's visually stunning, laid out well for the viewer and well presented by Mr. Taylor. I'm enjoying it, but i hear that some creationists aren't too happy:

Fox is under no obligation to give creationists equal time on its science show 'Cosmos'

...So creationists have a problem with the show. They’re demanding equal air time on Fox to present their own beliefs, rooted in the idea that all things were created by an omnipotent being. It’s as if the eons-old debate between religion and science is a political election, subject to equal time laws....

Apparently, these people didn’t get the memo: Fox can do what it wants. Even if that means excluding creationism and instead creating and airing a magnificent show that glorifies knowledge, learning and understanding.

If Fox wanted to air a show about a cartoon dog and his pal, a diabolical baby — and leave the flat-earth society out of that one too — the network can, and actually has. That one’s called “Family Guy.” It’s drawn its own share of criticism and comes from the other “Cosmos” executive producer, Seth MacFarlane.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/fox-exclude-creationists-cosmos-article-1.1736742If you don't like the show, and are unhappy about its' content, don't watch it.

That's how i handle Duck Dynasty.

Peter1469
03-31-2014, 05:20 PM
I need to look up its time slot. I wanted to see it, but haven't yet.

Bob
03-31-2014, 05:24 PM
Why do those who bring up creationism start talking about evolution? Those topics are not the same at all.

Many scientists who promote Darwin believe in GOD.

Don
03-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Why do those who bring up creationism start talking about evolution? Those topics are not the same at all.

Or associate creationists with young earth proponents.

Bob
03-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Even believing in the Bible does not mean Earth was created 6000 years ago. Some have written books to explain how the Bible can be accepted yet that Earth is 4.5 billion years old. Some still may believe in the 6,000 theory but in no way does that mean they are most of us.

kilgram
03-31-2014, 06:44 PM

Because creationists demand be taken seriously when they are a joke. And they demand that their believes be treated in the same level of science.

Peter1469
03-31-2014, 06:55 PM
Because creationists demand be taken seriously when they are a joke. And they demand that their believes be treated in the same level of science.

Which ones are a joke? The ones who agree with Darwinian evolution (as modified over time)? For reference, science doesn't explain the beginning.

kilgram
03-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Which ones are a joke? The ones who agree with Darwinian evolution (as modified over time)? For reference, science doesn't explain the beginning.
The joke is the creationism.

Neither religion explains the beginning. Science explains from the "Big Bang".

And I don't understand the reference of Darwinian evolution (as modified over time). Science always evolves. For example from the theory of Gravity to the theory of Relativity.

Bob
03-31-2014, 07:05 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=563304#post563304)

Say lad

Tell us all how many courses you passed with top grades on Chemistry, Physics, general science?

How many courses have you taken in Calculus, Analytic Geometry, Advanced Geometry, Trigonometry, Geometry and Algebra?

Have you studied biology?

When you claim to defend scientists from those kind of jerks, at least tell us you are the expert.

I have studied those things, most of them I got top grades in.

I believe in GOD. I believe GOD created the universe.

I do not believe Earth was created 6000 years ago. I am not sure how man was created but unlike the so called experts, i am not so foolish as to create a chain of evidence from the single cell to the thinking human being by saying as fact he came from apes. By logic and scientific reasoning, it means that the ancestor of man was the simple germ.

Do you believe we came from germs?

Bob
03-31-2014, 07:07 PM

And I don't understand the reference of Darwinian evolution (as modified over time). Science always evolves. For example from the theory of Gravity to the theory of Relativity.

Let me tell you what you are actually saying to us.

You believe that once there was NOTHING.

You believe that this (nothing) suddenly sprang to life in the form of the big bang.

But what is your cause of the big bang?

I say GOD created it.

What or who do you blame?

Peter1469
03-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Science does not explain how it all began. It starts with a an act that needed an actor or something that science does not explain.

I said Darwinian evolution (as modified over time) because most Americans think that what Darwin said is currently accepted 100%.

kilgram
03-31-2014, 07:28 PM

You believe that this (nothing) suddenly sprang to life in the form of the big bang.

I say GOD created it.

Do you know that you add more questions than answers?

Who created this god? How this god was born? How is this god eternal? How is possible that this being goes beyond the time and the space?

Can you explain any of those added questions to your belief.

I don't believe anything. I know what I know. And the rest things, just I don't know. I don't add beliefs or impossible things to answer.

kilgram
03-31-2014, 07:31 PM
Science does not explain how it all began. It starts with a an act that needed an actor or something that science does not explain.

I said Darwinian evolution (as modified over time) because most Americans think that what Darwin said is currently accepted 100%.
Ah ok, about Darwin. Well, I am not American ;).

Science does not explain the beginning, true. And? Is it important? Is it rellevant to science? No.

Science will advance and will give more answers, for sure.

Has place in a scientific tv show a religious view? No, in any way.

kilgram
03-31-2014, 07:33 PM

I say GOD created it.

I don't believe that there was nothing. Just I don't know what was there. And if you ask me, I like the idea of multiverses and that our universe comes from the implosion of other universe. And it is cyclic. However it is an idea and it is as fantastic as god, for now. Pure fantasy, pure fiction from our imagination. With the difference that one speculation comes from the scientific method and the other just from the human imagination.

Peter1469
03-31-2014, 07:36 PM
And that is my position. Science and religion are not incompatible. :smiley:

Science does not explain the beginning, true. And? Is it important? Is it rellevant to science? No.

Mister D
03-31-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't believe that there was nothing. Just I don't know what was there. And if you ask me, I like the idea of multiverses and that our universe comes from the implosion of other universe. And it is cyclic. However it is an idea and it is as fantastic as god, for now. Pure fantasy, pure fiction from our imagination. With the difference that one speculation comes from the scientific method and the other just from the human imagination.

Uh, no. There is nothing scientific about multiverses.

Bob
03-31-2014, 08:05 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=563304#post563304)

Depends on who you speak of. Do you mean the uneducated who know only what they learn in Sunday school at some particular church?

What evidence do you have to support that you know more about science than those mentioned by me?

Who elevated you to chief scientist?

Bob
03-31-2014, 08:12 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=563381#post563381)

I say GOD created it.

Let's say for argument's sake, that I being religious, believes in GOD, agrees with you.

Does that mean you now agree with me?

The scientists using the scientific method have made many errors of judgment and fact.

Yet you want me to think of them as error free?

Bob
03-31-2014, 08:26 PM

As to your claims you will wait on science, that seems to make sense.

Is the beginning important? Must be since you speak of the Big Bang.

Seems to me that some trade in the idea they operate like scientists do but speak against scientists that believe in GOD.

Science is very curious. Those who deny GOD have shut the door despite that they have nothing to back them up.

Think of GOD the same way you think of music. GOD gives off a wonderful note, a tone ... the thing we call music. But you can't tell me that that music came from nothing.

For examples of the music of God, isn't the universe a wonderful work of art?

Bob
03-31-2014, 08:33 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=563381#post563381)

I say GOD created it.

Who created this god? How this god was born? How is this god eternal? How is possible that this being goes beyond the time and the space?

I don't believe anything. I know what I know. And the rest things, just I don't know. I don't add beliefs or impossible things to answer.

Here is the thing. Science should cause more questions than answers. Once a thing is solved, it lost it's magic.

Your questions would presume you also believe in GOD, for if not, they make no sense.

It has to be because you do not understand the nature of GOD. I am not speaking of this from the view of a Bible thump-er. My reasoning does not depend on the Bible.

I am not suggesting that you take action to please GOD. Some who go to church may tell you that. I don't.

See, your problem is you believe the Big Bang took place. But you still can't remotely explain how it happened.

Your explanations will no doubt also provoke more questions than you can answer.

As to the nature of GOD, I have spoke to this on various forums and my reply ends up being, AWESOME POWER. The mother of all power. The power to do a grand job creating the Universe and so creating even planets such that on those planets now lives humans who ask questions.

kilgram
04-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Uh, no. There is nothing scientific about multiverses.
It is more metaphisical. It is basically a supposition. However, to the idea of multiverses can be arrived from many theories like the theory of the inflation (that is confirmed or almost).

kilgram
04-01-2014, 01:26 AM
Depends on who you speak of. Do you mean the uneducated who know only what they learn in Sunday school at some particular church?

What evidence do you have to support that you know more about science than those mentioned by me?

Who elevated you to chief scientist?
You didn't mention no one. And we are in a forum, we just express opinions or what we think. It is only an opinion not a thesis.

kilgram
04-01-2014, 01:30 AM
Here is the thing. Science should cause more questions than answers. Once a thing is solved, it lost it's magic.

Your questions would presume you also believe in GOD, for if not, they make no sense.

It has to be because you do not understand the nature of GOD. I am not speaking of this from the view of a Bible thump-er. My reasoning does not depend on the Bible.

I am not suggesting that you take action to please GOD. Some who go to church may tell you that. I don't.

See, your problem is you believe the Big Bang took place. But you still can't remotely explain how it happened.

Your explanations will no doubt also provoke more questions than you can answer.

As to the nature of GOD, I have spoke to this on various forums and my reply ends up being, AWESOME POWER. The mother of all power. The power to do a grand job creating the Universe and so creating even planets such that on those planets now lives humans who ask questions.
And if this power is the universe itself?

Bob
04-01-2014, 01:53 AM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=563479#post563479)

And if this power is the universe itself?

Since I am familiar with physics, explain how that works?

Bob
04-01-2014, 01:54 AM
You didn't mention no one. And we are in a forum, we just express opinions or what we think. It is only an opinion not a thesis.

Well, at least try to be a bit informed when you pontificate.

Don
04-01-2014, 02:00 AM
I watched tonight. The ghosts in the sky episode. I like all these types of programs. The Universe, Through the wormhole, Wonders of the universe and several others. I don't think the type of programming allows for too deep of thinking due to the limited audience and the age differences of viewers and time constraints. I like the use of CGI blended in with Hubble footage but sometimes I think they overdo it. I like Tyson and I like Dr. Michio Kaku. They are both honest enough as to not discount much of anything due to our lack of knowledge. They both speculate based on observation. Tyson said "if you want to know what it looks like inside a black hole, just look around." Its possible. He said early in the show that when you first see the sun on the horizon you don't really see it because the light is refracted by the atmosphere so the sun isn't really there yet, it would be two more minutes before it actually got to that point on "the horizon" making it an illusion. (He also said the horizon was an illusion which is true.) He then stated that when we see the sun we are seeing it as it was eight minutes before because it takes that long for its light to get here. So in fact it was at that point on "the horizon" six minutes after we "saw it." He didn't say that. I don't see a conflict between religion and believing in a creator and science and discovery. Quite a few religious scientists throughout history.

Bob
04-01-2014, 02:01 AM
It is more metaphisical. It is basically a supposition. However, to the idea of multiverses can be arrived from many theories like the theory of the inflation (that is confirmed or almost).

There is no reason why God could not create as many universes as GOD chose to create.

Max Rockatansky
04-01-2014, 06:43 AM

While I agree it's good to ask questions, part of the problem is that asking questions about God is an attempt to put logic in the illogical. To put a time limit on eternity. To put physical limits on an entity that is beyond our space-time continuum.

If you want to ask "Does God grant red bicycles if one prays hard enough?" that's one thing, but to say there is no God while simultaneously saying the Universe spontaneously generated is a matter of faith. In this regard, despite their denials, all atheists are acting on faith by virtue of the fact they have no way of knowing or proving their position.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/64mmnk.jpg

kilgram
04-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Well, at least try to be a bit informed when you pontificate.
What do you mean?

I am not informed. You don't know what the hell I know.

kilgram
04-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Since I am familiar with physics, explain how that works?
I've exposed a possibility, not something factible or not. And also you must explain how this god works. You cannot.

I can explain with science from the Big Bang, with the gravitational waves... I cannot go further.

With god you cannot explain anything. With god you cannot do predictions. God is absolutely ascientific and irrational.

Mister D
04-01-2014, 07:50 AM

It's basically unscientific. Beyond that you can call it whatever you want.

kilgram
04-01-2014, 07:57 AM
While I agree it's good to ask questions, part of the problem is that asking questions about God is an attempt to put logic in the illogical. To put a time limit on eternity. To put physical limits on an entity that is beyond our space-time continuum.

If you want to ask "Does God grant red bicycles if one prays hard enough?" that's one thing, but to say there is no God while simultaneously saying the Universe spontaneously generated is a matter of faith. In this regard, despite their denials, all atheists are acting on faith by virtue of the fact they have no way of knowing or proving their position.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/64mmnk.jpg
Answer of all atheists: unknown. To discover.

Or mine as atheist: unknown. To further investigation and research.

kilgram
04-01-2014, 08:00 AM
It's basically unscientific. Beyond that you can call it whatever you want.
It's not proved. It is a hypothesis. And that area is called many times metaphisics, a part of philosophy. I've not invented anything.

Mister D
04-01-2014, 08:06 AM
It's not proved. It is a hypothesis. And that area is called many times metaphisics, a part of philosophy. I've not invented anything.

It can't be proved, tested, falsified...anything. Kilgram, it's not science. I didn't say you invented it. I said it's the kind of pseudo-scientific claptrap people like yourself embrace because it sounds all 'scienecy'.

nic34
04-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Kilgram just referred to it as philosophy.

Is philosophy a science?

http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/is-philosophy-a-science/45795

Mister D
04-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Kilgram just referred to it as philosophy.

Is philosophy a science?

http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/is-philosophy-a-science/45795

So it's like religion. I know but I'm not sure Kilgram will appreciate that.

Max Rockatansky
04-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Answer of all atheists: unknown. To discover.

Or mine as atheist: unknown. To further investigation and research.

How do you use science to discover something that is outside of science? Science is the study of the natural universe. Outside of the natural universe the laws of science do not apply.

Mister D
04-01-2014, 01:23 PM
How do you use science to discover something that is outside of science? Science is the study of the natural universe. Outside of the natural universe the laws of science do not apply.

Exactly.

Bob
04-01-2014, 04:33 PM
I've exposed a possibility, not something factible or not. And also you must explain how this god works. You cannot.

I can explain with science from the Big Bang, with the gravitational waves... I cannot go further.

With god you cannot explain anything. With god you cannot do predictions. God is absolutely ascientific and irrational.

That is too bad you feel what way son.

nic34
04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
That is too bad you feel what way son.

Same back at ya! :laugh:

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe. [Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact]

Mister D
04-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Same back at ya! :laugh:

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe. [Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact]

What? lol