PDA

View Full Version : Santorum May Be Pushing Toward Brokered Convention

Conley
03-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Rick Santorum again raised the specter of a brokered Republican convention on Monday as he sought to appeal to conservative voters in Illinois to deliver another setback to Mitt Romney’s presidential ambitions in the state’s primary on Tuesday.

The two men set out on Monday for a full day of campaigning across Illinois following a weekend in which Mr. Romney prevailed in Puerto Rico, winning more than 80 percent of the vote and capturing all of the territory’s 20 delegates.

A week-old poll shows Mr. Romney and Mr. Santorum essentially tied in Illinois, which will award its 69 delegates proportionally, although Mr. Santorum is ineligible to get some of them. Nationwide, Mr. Romney holds a more than two-to-one lead over Mr. Santorum in the effort to collect delegates.

More recent polling, including some that use automated calls and do not survey cell phone users, suggests that Mr. Romney may have opened up a lead in Illinois in the last several days.

But Mr. Santorum remains insistent that he and the other Republican challengers are in a position to deny Mr. Romney the 1,144 delegates he needs to claim the party’s nomination. In an appearance on CBS’s “Early Show,” Mr. Santorum said Mr. Romney could not win.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/before-illinois-primary-santorum-talks-of-brokered-convention/?hp

If he believes Romney can't win, then he has to admit he can't either. I wonder what he thinks the brokered convention would entail. It still doesn't seem likely that in such an event he would secure the nomination. Does anyone think he really has the best interests of the GOP at heart? All of these individuals are doing what's best for themselves. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't pretend you're doing the party a favor.

Peter1469
03-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I can not think of any reason to vote for Santorum.

Stoney
03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
If it was between Santorum and Hillary I'd vote for Hillary.

MMC
03-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Lmao yet Santorum knows he is uneligible to get some of them. Pretty much says it right there. All Santorum is.....is a waste of people's time and efforts. As far as who he is out for. Thats a simple one. Nothin but himself.

Mainecoons
03-19-2012, 07:53 PM

Mega dittos to that.

roadmaster
03-19-2012, 08:03 PM

I will take him over Obama.

Peter1469
03-19-2012, 08:20 PM
If I had that choice I would skip election day.

MMC
03-19-2012, 08:28 PM
With what Paul said about Santorum on World-Wide Television. Does any really think he has any sort of chance? Santroum must not know how to count. he hasn't made up ground in delegates. Plus he should know Paul won't slide his delegates towards him. So truthfully what can he get out of the convention?