PDA

View Full Version : So this years project on working hard.

zelmo1234
04-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Well we are just 3 weeks from my collage kids starting to return home and hopefully the ice cream truck will hit the road shortly after that!

However I have 2 other young ambitious people that want to try something different!

I have acquired a street vender license for Grand Rapids, and could do a hot dog cart, but they would likely loose a third of their summer, because of acquiring the cart and health department approvals?

So I was thinking about trying to bring back the shoe shine? Very little investment, very little equipment, and low over head!

Any thoughts????

I know when I travel I look forward to getting my shoes all shined up? but would people stop on the street?

I also have the owners of 2 hotels that would let them work the lobby one day a week? as a trail to see if there customers liked the idea?

Akula
04-07-2014, 08:50 AM
There are shoeshine stands in some of the nicer hotels here. There are some at the airport, too.

Low overhead and a cash business..What's not to like?

Matty
04-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Well we are just 3 weeks from my collage kids starting to return home and hopefully the ice cream truck will hit the road shortly after that!

However I have 2 other young ambitious people that want to try something different!

I have acquired a street vender license for Grand Rapids, and could do a hot dog cart, but they would likely loose a third of their summer, because of acquiring the cart and health department approvals?

So I was thinking about trying to bring back the shoe shine? Very little investment, very little equipment, and low over head!

Any thoughts????

I know when I travel I look forward to getting my shoes all shined up? but would people stop on the street?

I also have the owners of 2 hotels that would let them work the lobby one day a week? as a trail to see if there customers liked the idea?
Why not the airport. Good way to spend layover time.

zelmo1234
04-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Why not the airport. Good way to spend layover time.

Airports are done on long term contracts, and yes the is the golden egg in the shine business.

But this is not a venture that I will make money on! It is about teaching Collage kids how to run a business. And of course they will work from the first part of May until the end of Aug!

I will cover the cost of the LLC, insurance, the license and the start up supplies, and likely charge them a fee of 25 cents per shine or some nominal amount!

I know they could make a killing in with a food cart, but not a lot of time to get set up?

nathanbforrest45
04-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Zig Zigler had a chapter in one of his books about a guy who ran a shoeshine stand in an airport and the tactics he used to one attract people into getting a shine in the first place and then getting them to upgrade to a more expensive shine. The guy made about $50,000.00 a year shinning shoes. Of course he worked his ass off to make it work.

Hotels, barbershops, anywhere business men may be and on their way to a business meeting or sales call. Its unique enough today to maybe make a comeback.

Ransom
04-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Any thoughts????

Work your way into some lobbys of corporations...where men and women still wear dress shoes....you might have something.

Our company has an in house telephone vendor....during the last contract negotiations he tells me he's out of business come 2015. He and his son off to Illinois....to grow pot. Says there is huge money to be made barring his son doesn't smoke the profits.

Mr. Right
04-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Work your way into some lobbys of corporations...where men and women still wear dress shoes....you might have something.

Our company has an in house telephone vendor....during the last contract negotiations he tells me he's out of business come 2015. He and his son off to Illinois....to grow pot. Says there is huge money to be made barring his son doesn't smoke the profits.

The pot biz is the new gold rush in Colorado. Didn't know about Illinois legalizing it. Hats off to zelmo for teaching his kids hands on. My son worked on my charter boat from age 15-26. It was wonderful having him around all the time. My older daughter will lifeguard at a pool on a
military facility this summer.

nathanbforrest45
04-07-2014, 11:37 AM
I am opening a chain of Mr. Munchie Push Carts outside of the new Marijuana Distribution Centers