PDA

View Full Version : What's for Dinner?

Pages : [1] 2 3

momsapplepie
04-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Tonight, Smoked pork shoulder. Marinated in Pineapple/ Brown sugar, Worcestershire, and a few other nice little flavorings.

With baked potatoes! YUMMM!

Captain Obvious
04-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Awesome! You gotta post that recipe.

I've been trying to smoke pork butts on the smoker with varied success. Looks like you're doing that in the oven.

Matty
04-13-2014, 07:43 PM
We had pot roast! Yours looks way better!

momsapplepie
04-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Nope. That's in the Smoker. Started at 9 this morning. Been marinated since yesterday.

Grew up in Kansas so this is a KC style Marinade and rub. It's great for Beef and Pork!
1/2 Cup of cider vinegar
3 Tblsps sugar. ( I use brown sugar for pork)
2 tsps. dry mustard
2 cups pineapple juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup diced onion
3 1/2-3 lbs of beef or pork (cuts for smoker, your choice)
Heat vinegar to boiling, remove from heat, add sugar, and mustard stir to dissolve, add juice and Worcestershire. Cool.
Add meat in a large ziplock and marinate 4-24 hours.
Remove from marinade.
Rub with
2-3 Tblsp of sugar
4 tspns Paprika
2 tsps. Garlic powder.
Use smoke wood of choice. I prefer Cherry, Apple or Pecan.
225 degrees in smoker until desired temp is reached.
This one was around 8Lbs.

ChoppedLiver
04-13-2014, 08:03 PM

The potatoes...

:cool:

ChoppedLiver
04-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Nope. That's in the Smoker. Started at 9 this morning. Been marinated since yesterday.

Thar She Blows!!!

:cool:

Captain Obvious
02-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Made pork chops, kraut and threw some brussel sprouts in there - in the crock pot.

My wife isn't crazy about kraut or sprouts but she'll eat them. Didn't care for them this way. I liked them a lot, so did my kid.

It's going to be a smelly night.

Mister D
02-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Made pork chops, kraut and threw some brussel sprouts in there - in the crock pot.

My wife isn't crazy about kraut or sprouts but she'll eat them. Didn't care for them this way. I liked them a lot, so did my kid.

It's going to be a smelly night.

What a coincidence. I just had a pork chop with some Brussels sprouts.

Peter1469
02-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Pork chops with organic honey, pineapple and tabouleh.

Mister D
02-01-2015, 09:34 PM
BTW, they're very good for you.

Mister D
02-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Pork chops with organic honey, pineapple and tabouleh.

Was it with the pork today? :laugh:

Captain Obvious
02-01-2015, 09:35 PM

Superbowl Sunday - feels like a holiday to eat pork on.

Peter1469
02-01-2015, 09:47 PM
I just had some in the fridge.

But as far as healthy meat goes, pork ain't it. But I love it.

Mister D
02-01-2015, 09:48 PM
I just had some in the fridge.

But as far as healthy meat goes, pork ain't it. But I love it.

I eat a lot of it. not worried about it. High protein, very low fat.

Redrose
02-01-2015, 09:49 PM
60 buffalo wings, salad, beer.

Captain Obvious
02-01-2015, 09:54 PM
60 buffalo wings, salad, beer.

In one sitting?

Man...

:biglaugh:

Captain Obvious
02-01-2015, 09:56 PM
When I was in my 20-something's we used to go to this bar on the Southside, Stones Tavern, old shot and beer joint. Had wings on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I was a regular there.

Buddy of mine, Moonhead - dude was pushing 450lbs. Ordered 75 wings one night.

Redrose
02-01-2015, 09:57 PM
In one sitting?

Man...

Two sittings. Two people. :smiley:

Dr. Who
02-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Oven BBQ'd pork back ribs, baby potatoes and salad.

PolWatch
02-01-2015, 11:41 PM
The redneck (me) tried the pasta & kale. I sautéed garlic, onions, red peppers with the kale. Mixed with penne pasta and topped with parmesan cheese. The entire group of rednecks loved it! I also had baked chicken & garlic bread but the pasta & kale was the real hit. Thanks to everyone who told me about how to fix the kale.

Redrose
02-02-2015, 12:24 AM
I love sautéed garlic, especially baby asparagus with parmesan cheese. That's candy to me.

Bob
02-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Tonight, Smoked pork shoulder. Marinated in Pineapple/ Brown sugar, Worcestershire, and a few other nice little flavorings.

If you lived closer, I would be right over. LOL

momsapplepie
02-02-2015, 01:37 AM
If you lived closer, I would be right over. LOL
Bob, You would be welcome at any time. I'll pm you my email. I won't be posting here anymore.

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:57 AM
The redneck (me) tried the pasta & kale. I sautéed garlic, onions, red peppers with the kale. Mixed with penne pasta and topped with parmesan cheese. The entire group of rednecks loved it! I also had baked chicken & garlic bread but the pasta & kale was the real hit. Thanks to everyone who told me about how to fix the kale.

I bought a bag of collard greens and had them twice now with multi-grain penne. Good.

Dr. Who
02-02-2015, 08:50 PM
I bought a bag of collard greens and had them twice now with multi-grain penne. Good.
I've never been able to overcome the chewy factor with multi-grain penne. Perhaps it the brands that I have chosen. I don't mind multi-grain spaghetti or linguine, since they seem to get to a normal al dente texture. Is it just me, or is multi-grain penne a little extra al dente even when it's well cooked?

Mister D
02-02-2015, 08:54 PM
I've never been able to overcome the chewy factor with multi-grain penne. Perhaps it the brands that I have chosen. I don't mind multi-grain spaghetti or linguine, since they seem to get to a normal al dente texture. Is it just me, or is multi-grain penne a little extra al dente even when it's well cooked?

I love that though. I always undercook my pasta so I'm probably not the best judge. I use barilla.

Dr. Who
02-02-2015, 09:12 PM
I love that though. I always undercook my pasta so I'm probably not the best judge. I use barilla.
I do like barilla. Not sure if I've tried their multi-grain, since barilla wasn't available at my grocers when I was first trying out the multi-grain products. I will try it and judge for myself. What I dislike is that almost hard paste like texture. It's hard to describe.

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:19 PM
I do like barilla. Not sure if I've tried their multi-grain, since barilla wasn't available at my grocers when I was first trying out the multi-grain products. I will try it and judge for myself. What I dislike is that almost hard paste like texture. It's hard to describe.

It's called "barilla plus". They have whole wheat too but I don't like it. I haven't had all white flour in a long time now.

I think I know what you mean. I like it al dente but I hate a doughy texture.

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:26 PM
In addition to white flour they use lentils, chickpeas, flaxseed, barley, spelt and oats. It has around 75% more protein and fiber.

Dr. Who
02-02-2015, 09:28 PM
In addition to white flour they use lentils, chickpeas, flaxseed, barley, spelt and oats. It has around 75% more protein and fiber.
That actually sounds rather tasty.

Dr. Who
02-02-2015, 09:29 PM
By the way, did you chop the collards differently to go with the penne?

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:33 PM
By the way, did you chop the collards differently to go with the penne?

They come chopped and triple washed. It's only a dollar and change more so why not, right? I lightly fried the collards with some garlic and a little andouille.

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:35 PM
That actually sounds rather tasty.

I wanted to move away from white flour and I have to admit I have had no desire whatsoever to go back to regular pasta.

Dr. Who
02-02-2015, 09:36 PM
They come chopped and triple washed. It's only a dollar and change more so why not, right? I lightly fried the collards with some garlic and a little andouille.
Sounds really good.

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Sounds really good.

Simple, inexpensive, and healthy. Oh, that reminds me. It's not a big deal to me but for those on a tighter budget it might be. Plus costs around twice as much as the regular pasta. I eat so many vegetables with it that I'll get at least three meals out of a single box so I don't care but that might be a turn off for others.

Common
02-02-2015, 09:44 PM
That roast looks really good. I put seasoned pork butt on the grill and indirect cook it on low for hours.

Dr. Who
02-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Simple, inexpensive, and healthy. Oh, that reminds me. It's not a big deal to me but for those on a tighter budget it might be. Plus costs around twice as much as the regular pasta. I eat so many vegetables with it that I'll get at least three meals out of a single box so I don't care but that might be a turn off for others.
Not an issue for me, but then again I'm not feeding a bunch of kids. Still, if you are mixing a lot of veggies in, you aren't making the meal primarily pasta. The protein in the pasta is still cheaper than meat. Although it may not work for boys in their teens who tend to be bottomless pits.

Common
02-02-2015, 09:47 PM
What a coincidence. I just had a pork chop with some Brussels sprouts.

Oh wow, I had pork chops with brussel sprouts today, I love brussel sprouts

Captain Obvious
02-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Had those brussel sprouts, pork and kraut yesterday. Didn't move this morning which was really rare for me, I'm usually like clockwork.

Had taco salad today.

Tomorrow morning is going to be brutal if I make it.

Common
02-02-2015, 09:50 PM

I buy non white pasta on sale, buy one get one and I buy a bunch. I also buy it in Aldis which is excellent and cheaper. Everyone once in a while they have imported from italy whole grain pasta and I buy a bunch

I love pasta with vegetables or beans and I make it lots of ways.

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Not an issue for me, but then again I'm not feeding a bunch of kids. Still, if you are mixing a lot of veggies in, you aren't making the meal primarily pasta. The protein in the pasta is still cheaper than meat. Although it may not work for boys in their teens who tend to be bottomless pits.

Yeah, because of the humane thing I eat more legumes and pasta than ever before. The multi grain pasta helped fill a gap. Greek yogurt helped a lot too.

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:52 PM
I buy non white pasta on sale, buy one get one and I buy a bunch. I also buy it in Aldis which is excellent and cheaper. Everyone once in a while they have imported from italy whole grain pasta and I buy a bunch

I love pasta with vegetables or beans and I make it lots of ways.

I just can't acquire a taste for the whole wheat product.

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Had those brussel sprouts, pork and kraut yesterday. Didn't move this morning which was really rare for me, I'm usually like clockwork.

Had taco salad today.

Tomorrow morning is going to be brutal if I make it.

lol Keep us posted.

Mister D
02-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Oh wow, I had pork chops with brussel sprouts today, I love brussel sprouts

Seems to be a pork week! Brussels sprouts are awesome. Very good for you.

Common
02-02-2015, 10:04 PM

Some are better than others, for example Muellers is disgusting, Ronzoni isnt good, Barilla is almost tolerable.
I buy multigrain, Delallo makes a good whole grain lighter taste and so does aldi.

In the end with sauce and veggies or olive oil and garlic, no one tastes much of the pasta. Whole grain has a much lower glycemic level than regular pasta, I never compared it to multigrain.

Common
02-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Seems to be a pork week! Brussels sprouts are awesome. Very good for you.

Im a veggie lover and so is my wife. We eat a variety of veggies, the whole gamut and artichokes and one of my favorites broccoli Raab, kale, turnip greens and collards. I EATUM all. All different ways

Captain Obvious
02-02-2015, 10:12 PM
lol Keep us posted.

Couldn't wait until the morning.

I hate shitting before going to bed, hope my timing isn't off now.

Dark Mistress
02-02-2015, 10:44 PM

I love whole grain everything, but pasta I can't be turned onto while I do still eat it. I switch out my whole grain pasta for brown rice most of the time. I love spaghetti and other pastas on brown rice. Delish! Homemade fried rice still tastes better with white rice though...

Dark Mistress
02-02-2015, 10:47 PM
For dinner tonight- Pumpkin pie and banana cream pie. Leftover from last night's "Thanksgiving" dinner. Turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry jello salad, rolls and pie. I won a turkey and needed all the fixings.

I have leftovers for the rest of the week so now I won't feel bad when I dont have time to cook for the familt. That's what I Love about the weekend- I can cook most of it. I don't have time during the week anymore.

PolWatch
02-03-2015, 01:27 AM
Its really hard for me to cook for 2. I end up trying to fix things I can freeze for later...casseroles, soup, gumbo. I start to make a small pot of soup and end up with 5 gallons. For several years I was cooking for a husband & 3 teenage boys so I was interested in volume!

sachem
02-03-2015, 02:01 AM
lol Keep us posted.Don't tell him that.

Redrose
02-03-2015, 02:02 AM
Im a veggie lover and so is my wife. We eat a variety of veggies, the whole gamut and artichokes and one of my favorites broccoli Raab, kale, turnip greens and collards. I EATUM all. All different ways

I love broccoli rabe sautéed in garlic and oil. I like pasta with oil even more than with a tomato gravy.
It took my a long time to get hubby to eat veggies. He hated everything except corn and corn is too much sugar. Can't do brussel sprouts anymore, little gassy time bombs. lol I used to love them cut in half and dipped in egg batter and bread crumbs and sautéed in gatlic and rosemary oil, with greated cheese.

We just got a great Italian restaurant in town, he's from NY and has a pastry shop, deli and pizza place. He even makes scungili salad!! I'm in heaven now.

Captain Obvious
03-13-2015, 07:02 PM
So the ol'lady drives up to the fish place and gets a pound of shrimp and 4 nice fillets of catfish. I love catfish, it's just fatty enough for grilling.

I marinate both, shrimp in cajun seasoning (the cheap stuff, I gotta start spending more money on spices) and blackened seasoning for the catfish. Both with some Louisiana hot sauce, garlic and some olive oil.

The shrimp weren't big enough for open grilling so I tinfoiled the grate, I don't do that often. I wanted to almost burn the shrimp, both shrimp and catfish can't be overcooked IMO.

It was fucking awesome, it's gone, all of it. My kid ate most of it. The shrimp with some added hot sauce was out of this world.

She made a salad too. The local grocery store started carrying baby Boston lettuce heads, they're fantastic. With some fresh cut radishes, a yellow tomato, some cukes. I ran out of dressing, we really don't use a lot of dressings, she makes her own blue cheese dressing but we didn't have any. So I sprinkled some Creole seasoning (that stuff everyone buys, PolWatch knows it), some balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil, gawd was that good.

I'm burping it up now and it still tastes good.

PolWatch
03-13-2015, 07:12 PM
you're ruining your shrimp by cooking it too long! Shrimp in boiling water is done in about 3-5 minutes depending on size. They get rubbery if cooked too long.

If you really want some great catfish or shrimp....heat some olive oil & garlic in a skillet...coat the seafood with Tony's and pan broil it. Use just enough oil to slick the pan...you don't want to fry it. My husband would eat fish cooked that way every day if I would cook it!

Captain Obvious
03-13-2015, 07:24 PM
you're ruining your shrimp by cooking it too long! Shrimp in boiling water is done in about 3-5 minutes depending on size. They get rubbery if cooked too long.

If you really want some great catfish or shrimp....heat some olive oil & garlic in a skillet...coat the seafood with Tony's and pan broil it. Use just enough oil to slick the pan...you don't want to fry it. My husband would eat fish cooked that way every day if I would cook it!

lol! Yeah, I've cooked shrimp lots of times. I like it a little crispy on the grill. Shrimp to me is always a little chewy anyway and if there's enough fat (oil) in the marinade then it's pretty good. IMO that is.

I don't boil shrimp but I've pan fried it and yeah, in the pan I go high heat for a couple minutes.

I've made blackened fish at home also, in an iron skillet. High heat and lots of seasoning. She was reminding me of that, stinks up the house, everyone's choking like someone busted a mustard gas bomb.

Redrose
03-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Talking about the crab sauce we like, I decided to make it again. Couldn't find any decent crabs, so I made a sause with muscles, clams, scallops and some pollock fillets cut up. It was great. I used to make my own pasta, but I've gotten too lazy to do that now. The sauce is even better the next day.

I love shell fish.

PolWatch
03-13-2015, 10:15 PM
Its been rainy & messy all week...gumbo weather! I thawed a tub of seafood gumbo for supper...shrimp, crabs & chunks of crab meat! oink!

Redrose
03-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Its been rainy & messy all week...gumbo weather! I thawed a tub of seafood gumbo for supper...shrimp, crabs & chunks of crab meat! oink!

I haven't made gumbo in a long time. What seasoning do you use?

PolWatch
03-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Very few seasonings: salt, pepper, cayenne & Tony Chachere's....most of the flavor is from the seafood & fresh onion, garlic, bell peppers, celery, okra and corn.

Redrose
03-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Very few seasonings: salt, pepper, cayenne & Tony Chachere's....most of the flavor is from the seafood & fresh onion, garlic, bell peppers, celery, okra and corn.

I'm thinking of making it this week. I'm craving fish meals. I'll try your version.

Common
03-13-2015, 10:40 PM
I love broccoli rabe sautéed in garlic and oil. I like pasta with oil even more than with a tomato gravy.
It took my a long time to get hubby to eat veggies. He hated everything except corn and corn is too much sugar. Can't do brussel sprouts anymore, little gassy time bombs. lol I used to love them cut in half and dipped in egg batter and bread crumbs and sautéed in gatlic and rosemary oil, with greated cheese.

We just got a great Italian restaurant in town, he's from NY and has a pastry shop, deli and pizza place. He even makes scungili salad!! I'm in heaven now.

I had baccala today a friend of mine makes it fantastic he always gives me some.

Redrose
03-13-2015, 10:46 PM
I had baccala today a friend of mine makes it fantastic he always gives me some.

I have eaten it, but it was never a big favorite. My dad made it a few times, but my aunt made the best.
My mom hated it. Well, she is from England, Italian food to her was totally foreign.

Peter1469
03-13-2015, 10:48 PM
I have eaten it, but it was never a big favorite. My dad made it a few times, but my aunt made the best.
My mom hated it. Well, she is from England, Italian food to her was totally foreign.

Until recently, good food was foreign to the English.

Redrose
03-13-2015, 10:55 PM
Until recently, good food was foreign to the English.

Don't I know it! lol

Captain Obvious
05-11-2015, 09:30 PM
So we're in a bit of a food rut, same shit every week. She makes great mac and cheese in the crock pot but I've been told it's off the menu. I grill wings and burgers, or steaks if I can get them, chops too. And hot sausage.

The grocery store here is limited and I don't go to Walmart, not that they have anything anyway so I bought some hot sausage and thought I'd maybe change it up a bit.

Tomatoes looked really good so I got a bunch of them, and green onions, fairly big ones. They also had fresh cilantro, got some of that. I have been getting fresh basil for tomatoes but I thought the cilantro would be a nice change. Mozz cheese too.

So I tell the wife I'm grilling the hot sausage and mixing it in with this salad. She looks at me like I'm from Mars, she clearly has her doubts. I'm confident.

So I grill the sausage. They're fatty, I almost light the campsite on fire, grill them down, slice them up, mix them in with the salad. Made a fresh dressing for it.

It's gone, all of it. She was really impressed.

It was good too, I enjoyed it.

Captain Obvious
05-17-2015, 02:58 PM
ok - did ribs on the smoker yesterday, they were fantastic. And tomato salad, need some roughage to counter all that pork fat.

Today, Spamburgers. And yes, I already got the vote of no confidence from my crew.

And I'm totally trashing it up too, grilling Spam and sliced onions then topping it off with cheese whiz.

The spray can stuff, as a rule.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 03:07 PM
I don't eat spam, but do have lots of it in my SHTF stash. I find that spam only tastes good when you are starving. I also have several canned hams that should last years. And a lot more.

Polecat
05-17-2015, 03:18 PM
I don't eat spam, but do have lots of it in my SHTF stash. I find that spam only tastes good when you are starving. I also have several canned hams that should last years. And a lot more.

We ate a lot of spam during a rough spell when I was a kid. I never liked it. TOO salty. Fast forward 40 years and I get a case of nostalgic itch and found a delightful little idea on the web somewhere for making a Spam & Velveeta sandwich. Some bacon fat in the skillet and a 1/2 inch thick slice of vadalia onion for the spam to rest on top of while the onion gets grilled to a dark brown. Flip over and set the cheese on the toasted onion and continue cooking until the spam gets a nice tan. Serve on a plate or toast.

Redrose
05-17-2015, 03:25 PM

If things really got that drastic and bad, that SHTF provisions were needed I couldn't survive and I'm too old and chicken to battle scavengers and thieves. I'd probably check out, so my SHTF kit is one .38.

Polecat
05-17-2015, 03:29 PM
If things really got that drastic and bad, that SHTF provisions were needed I couldn't survive and I'm too old and chicken to battle scavengers and thieves. I'd probably check out, so my SHTF kit is one .38.

Me too Red. But I can't plug myself. I figure some street preaching will take care of the situation.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 03:34 PM
We ate a lot of spam during a rough spell when I was a kid. I never liked it. TOO salty. Fast forward 40 years and I get a case of nostalgic itch and found a delightful little idea on the web somewhere for making a Spam & Velveeta sandwich. Some bacon fat in the skillet and a 1/2 inch thick slice of vadalia onion for the spam to rest on top of while the onion gets grilled to a dark brown. Flip over and set the cheese on the toasted onion and continue cooking until the spam gets a nice tan. Serve on a plate or toast.

I have never eaten it cooked. I ate it some when I was growing up as a sandwich. Ate it in the field in the army in lieu of an MRE. I enjoyed it that time.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 03:35 PM

Don't do that. You have to have people around you who are ready to some extent for SHTF. Join up with them.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 03:36 PM
I could never give up.

Redrose
05-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Don't do that. You have to have people around you who are ready to some extent for SHTF. Join up with them.

I read an article a few years ago that said a civilized society would collapse in less than 72 hours if 'armageddon' happened. No water, electricity, food, communication would bring out our animalistic survival nature and it would be a jungle survival of the fittest. You'd have bands of scavengers and thieves, willing to do anything, to get what you have...your SHTF provisions...and you'd be in a war constantly to survive and keep your provisions.

Makes me think of the middle ages with old villages hiddend behind stone walls with a moat to help keep invaders out.

I might last a week, maybe two, until our ammo ran out. My neighbor told us to save two bullets for him and his wife. People do talk about this stuff.

We have become a very soft society. Look at all the electronic devices we use daily to get through the day. Those who make a living off of the land may fare better than those in our cities. It would get ugly very quickly.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Correct. If there is an EMP event (man made or natural) and if the damage is enough to prevent getting electricity back online within one year, the estimates are 90% dead in the U (http://www.empcommission.org/)S.

But don't ever give up. I couldn't conceive such a thing.

I read an article a few years ago that said a civilized society would collapse in less than 72 hours if 'armageddon' happened. No water, electricity, food, communication would bring out our animalistic survival nature and it would be a jungle survival of the fittest. You'd have bands of scavengers and thieves, willing to do anything, to get what you have...your SHTF provisions...and you'd be in a war constantly to survive and keep your provisions.

Makes me think of the middle ages with old villages hiddend behind stone walls with a moat to help keep invaders out.

I might last a week, maybe two, until our ammo ran out. My neighbor told us to save two bullets for him and his wife. People do talk about this stuff.

We have become a very soft society. Look at all the electronic devices we use daily to get through the day. Those who make a living off of the land may fare better than those in our cities. It would get ugly very quickly.

Redrose
05-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Correct. If there is an EMP event (man made or natural) and if the damage is enough to prevent getting electricity back online within one year, the estimates are 90% dead in the U (http://www.empcommission.org/)S.

But don't ever give up. I couldn't conceive such a thing.

I rarely think of such things, but once in a while the topic comes up. Most people I know worry about the vulnerability of our grid system. An enemy could hurt us badly. I don't fear a major attack, I do fear a combination of 'lone terrorists'. It wouldn't take much to bring us to our knees.

I would like to believe I would fight to the death, but I'm realistic enough to realize that would come quickly.

We already have a weak version of those 'scavengers' in our area. We're in a very nice fairly affluent community. The cars advertise there is money here. We have seen, a couple of times, groups of thieves arrive in white beat up vans from other areas, even other states. They drop off a few people to peruse the area. They are opportunists, and will steal anything they can. An open car door, or unlocked house door is perfect for them. Then they make a call and their van shows up to drive them off with their take. The police try to get them but ususally the tag is obscured and they are hard to track. I confronted two, young men dressed casually, carrying clip boards. They give a BS line they are taking surveys as to cable vs satellite. We are a no solicitation community, so I told them to leave. By the time police arrive to check out the thefts that occurred that day, they are no where to be found. One such group was apprehended working out of North Carolina a couple of years ago.

So what I'm saying is there are already people who want what others have and just come and take it. In a crisis situation it would be deadly very quickly.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Yes it will. Now is the time to organize the community so you will act together when the SHTF.

I rarely think of such things, but once in a while the topic comes up. Most people I know worry about the vulnerability of our grid system. An enemy could hurt us badly. I don't fear a major attack, I do fear a combination of 'lone terrorists'. It wouldn't take much to bring us to our knees.

I would like to believe I would fight to the death, but I'm realistic enough to realize that would come quickly.

We already have a weak version of those 'scavengers' in our area. We're in a very nice fairly affluent community. The cars advertise there is money here. We have seen, a couple of times, groups of thieves arrive in white beat up vans from other areas, even other states. They drop off a few people to peruse the area. They are opportunists, and will steal anything they can. An open car door, or unlocked house door is perfect for them. Then they make a call and their van shows up to drive them off with their take. The police try to get them but ususally the tag is obscured and they are hard to track. I confronted two, young men dressed casually, carrying clip boards. They give a BS line they are taking surveys as to cable vs satellite. We are a no solicitation community, so I told them to leave. By the time police arrive to check out the thefts that occurred that day, they are no where to be found. One such group was apprehended working out of North Carolina a couple of years ago.

So what I'm saying is there are already people who want what others have and just come and take it. In a crisis situation it would be deadly very quickly.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 04:32 PM
The end would likely be fast for me because of where I live. But I won't go quietly into the night.

Captain Obvious
05-17-2015, 05:20 PM
No riots, everyone ate up.

She wasn't crazy about the cheese whiz tho.

Thumbs up for another go around, the apocalypse not withstanding.

Dark Mistress
05-17-2015, 05:39 PM
A quality diet of toast, crackers and bananas for this gal today. Can't remember the last time I got the stomach flu so bad. Dying for a burger hot off the grill...

Dr. Who
05-17-2015, 05:58 PM
ok - did ribs on the smoker yesterday, they were fantastic. And tomato salad, need some roughage to counter all that pork fat.

Today, Spamburgers. And yes, I already got the vote of no confidence from my crew.

And I'm totally trashing it up too, grilling Spam and sliced onions then topping it off with cheese whiz.

The spray can stuff, as a rule.
I can understand eating Spam some nostalgic reason, although it's just salt, fat, nitrates, fillers and some meat, but to add chemical cheese food to that is just crazy. Were you having a salt craving?

Dark Mistress
05-17-2015, 06:01 PM
I can understand eating Spam some nostalgic reason, although it's just salt, fat, nitrates, fillers and some meat, but to add chemical cheese food to that is just crazy. Were you having a salt craving?
Every now and again I crave some Ritz and spray cheese whiz although I do prefer a homemade cheese ball.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Maybe the next time my best girl is down here, I will bust open my SHTF stash and introduce her to spam.

Or maybe that isn't a good idea. Ideas?

Captain Obvious
05-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Maybe the next time my best girl is down here, I will bust open my SHTF stash and introduce her to spam.

Take a mulligan on that idea, lol!

I can roll those dice, my ol'lady's stuck with me.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 06:17 PM
Take a mulligan on that idea, lol!

I can roll those dice, my ol'lady's stuck with me.

Probably right!

Dr. Who
05-17-2015, 06:20 PM

I suspect that she won't touch it with a ten foot pole for a variety of reasons.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 06:24 PM
I suspect that she won't touch it with a ten foot pole for a variety of reasons.

Darn.... Not even a practice SHTF event?

Captain Obvious
05-17-2015, 06:25 PM

The original Philly cheesesteak is made with cheese whiz and it's Spam, have to trash it up a bit.

Hell, I even picked out bakery buns at the grocery store and she said "might as well just get the 99 cent store brand buns".

Dr. Who
05-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Darn.... Not even a practice SHTF event?
LOL. Perhaps she already tried it as a child. That stuff used to be pretty common. If not, the day that the SHTF is probably soon enough. However I've often thought that if you mash it up, add some chopped scalion, garlic and ginger, and perhaps some mushroom, you could make a decent wonton from it, in a pinch.

Dr. Who
05-17-2015, 06:32 PM
The original Philly cheesesteak is made with cheese whiz and it's Spam, have to trash it up a bit.

Hell, I even picked out bakery buns at the grocery store and she said "might as well just get the 99 cent store brand buns".
LOL - no point trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 06:33 PM
LOL. Perhaps she already tried it as a child. That stuff used to be pretty common. If not, the day that the SHTF is probably soon enough. However I've often thought that if you mash it up, add some chopped scalion, garlic and ginger, and perhaps some mushroom, you could make a decent wonton from it, in a pinch.

She hates mushrooms for some odd reason....

I will give it a shot!

Captain Obvious
05-17-2015, 06:33 PM
LOL - casting pearls before swine.

She knows the stock she's invested in.

edit: lol - you didn't have to change that

Dr. Who
05-17-2015, 06:35 PM
She knows the stock she's invested in.
Actually I changed that - you're just too fast. More like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Captain Obvious
05-17-2015, 06:35 PM
Actually I changed that - you're just too fast. More like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I'm way too fast, lol!

PolWatch
05-17-2015, 06:40 PM

I agree! Why would I want to stick around for that kinda life....not worth it to me. I am a believer in leaving with some dignity.

Dr. Who
05-17-2015, 06:42 PM
She hates mushrooms for some odd reason....

I will give it a shot!
You could sub in some chopped water chestnut. Also, I hope your spam is low sodium, because then you could add a little soya sauce or oyster sauce for flavor. You should also add a bit of cornstarch so it's not too mushy.

PolWatch
05-17-2015, 06:44 PM
My husband craves a Spam samwich occasionally. I don't share....yuck!

Redrose
05-17-2015, 07:58 PM

I have heard it can give you bad gas. Why risk it?

Captain Obvious
05-17-2015, 08:00 PM
I have heard it can give you bad gas. Why risk it?

If a rift or two is too much then is she the right gal?

True love is not laughing at bathroom noises... too much.

Redrose
05-17-2015, 08:07 PM
If a rift or two is too much then is she the right gal?

True love is not laughing at bathroom noises... too much.

We passed that hurdle on our honeymoon. It's true love. lol

del
05-17-2015, 08:54 PM

it makes a pretty good ham salad equivalent. mayo, pickle relish

Peter1469
05-17-2015, 09:37 PM
it makes a pretty good ham salad equivalent. mayo, pickle relish
I would sub mustard for the mayo.

del
05-17-2015, 09:45 PM
I would sub mustard for the mayo.

i put mustard on the bread

it's a navy thing ;)

Redrose
05-18-2015, 12:01 AM
The worst meal ever placed before me was in Pennsylvania, it was a plate of scrappel. I went hungry that day.

Peter1469
05-18-2015, 05:31 AM
i put mustard on the bread

it's a navy thing ;)

Mustard is good. And zero calories. Unlike mayo.

Peter1469
05-18-2015, 05:31 AM
The worst meal ever placed before me was in Pennsylvania, it was a plate of scrappel. I went hungry that day.

I have had haggis in Scotland. Love it.

Captain Obvious
05-18-2015, 08:42 AM

You don't like breaded nostril cartilage, eyeballs and gelatine?

PolWatch
05-18-2015, 08:48 AM

no accounting for taste....it sounds so attractive

<running from room with barf bag>

Captain Obvious
05-18-2015, 09:01 AM

bladimz was said to be fond of scrapple.

What happened to that guy, I liked him.

Captain Obvious
05-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Grilled burgers.

Campground filled up for the weekend, all the hoopies are here with their kids, dogs and god awful country music blaring. Watching these morons chase their fodder around was entertaining for a while. I suspect there will be an incident before the clock strikes twelve.

Anyway, grilled burgers but I picked up some fresh green beans, they had a washing machine carton full of them at the store. Wife cut them up and boiled them, I added butter and browned them, then garlic and parmesean cheese.

Yeah, that was really good.

Burgers were ok.

Redrose
05-22-2015, 08:40 PM

Thank you for that, now I will go barf.

Redrose
05-22-2015, 08:41 PM
@bladimz (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=7) was said to be fond of scrapple.

What happened to that guy, I liked him.

The scrapple killed him.

Redrose
05-22-2015, 08:44 PM

Pol it was a plate of shiny chunks of stuff, like jelly, some egg, I think it was egg, and other bits and chunks of shiny pink and maroon grissle and fat. I would have welcomed a plate of dog poop over that mess.

I've thrown better garbage away.

Captain Obvious
05-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Yesterday I tried Private Pickle 's smoke method sort of. Ribs, rubbed them dry and smoked them, with just standard store bought chips. Smoked them a couple hours then tin foiled them. They weren't fall-apart condition but good enough, didn't add BBQ sauce, just ate them with the rub and they were pretty good.

Today, burgers. Used that slaw I made the other day to top the burgers wtih, it was nice and soft. Muenster cheese and those were good burgers.

Common
05-24-2015, 09:50 PM

Did you taste it

Common
05-24-2015, 09:55 PM
Yesterday I tried @Private Pickle (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=615) 's smoke method sort of. Ribs, rubbed them dry and smoked them, with just standard store bought chips. Smoked them a couple hours then tin foiled them. They weren't fall-apart condition but good enough, didn't add BBQ sauce, just ate them with the rub and they were pretty good.

Today, burgers. Used that slaw I made the other day to top the burgers wtih, it was nice and soft. Muenster cheese and those were good burgers.

Chef Paul Prudhomme sells a BBQ rub, its damn good, I rub my ribs let them sit in the fridge a while. Then slow cook them. Right before thier done I put a thin coat of kansas city bbq sauce and finish cooking them till their a bit glazed. I dont have a smoker

PolWatch
05-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Today was a fry-up! Huge fresh Gulf shrimp.... fried with Vidalia onion rings & a green salad (gotta have something healthy).

Captain Obvious
05-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Today was a fry-up! Huge fresh Gulf shrimp.... fried with Vidalia onion rings & a green salad (gotta have something healthy).

Kinda made my burgers sound sucky.

Captain Obvious
05-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Chef Paul Prudhomme sells a BBQ rub, its damn good, I rub my ribs let them sit in the fridge a while. Then slow cook them. Right before thier done I put a thin coat of kansas city bbq sauce and finish cooking them till their a bit glazed. I dont have a smoker

If he's not dead he should be. We have one of his cook books from literally 25 years ago and the pic of him on the cover shows him with a cane, he has to be pushing 400.

It was basically him and Geoff Smith who I got a lot of my cooking style from.

Redrose
05-25-2015, 12:03 AM
Did you taste it

Common With my food, if it looks bad or smells bad there ain't no way in hell it's going in my mouth.
That has been my credo since I was a child. It has served me well. :smiley:

Common
05-25-2015, 03:37 AM
@Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659) With my food, if it looks bad or smells bad there ain't no way in hell it's going in my mouth.
That has been my credo since I was a child. It has served me well. :smiley:

The reason im asked is ive had scrapple lovers tell me if you dont know what iti s before you eat it, you will love it. I didnt believe them and I already knew before I didnt try it

Redrose
05-25-2015, 03:46 AM
The reason im asked is ive had scrapple lovers tell me if you dont know what iti s before you eat it, you will love it. I didnt believe them and I already knew before I didnt try it

The nuns threw in some scrambled eggs with that slop and called it food.

I'd never be that hungry.

I cut off fat from a filet mignon steak.

Common
05-25-2015, 03:49 AM

I buy pasta imported from italy from Aldi when they have it. I usually buy enough last me till they get it again.

There are so many shapes of pasta that you cant buy in florida that they have up north and with multigrain your limited even more. I dont know why they dont make more shapes

Common
05-25-2015, 03:49 AM

ugh

Redrose
05-25-2015, 03:54 AM
I buy pasta imported from italy from Aldi when they have it. I usually buy enough last me till they get it again.

There are so many shapes of pasta that you cant buy in florida that they have up north and with multigrain your limited even more. I dont know why they dont make more shapes

One pasta I loved to use was the linguine that was tri-color...spinich, carrot, egg. I loved that with a great pesto sauce. I can't find it here.

Common
05-25-2015, 04:09 AM
One pasta I loved to use was the linguine that was tri-color...spinich, carrot, egg. I loved that with a great pesto sauce. I can't find it here.

I never bought the tricolor but I believe publix has it. I love linguine with Pesto and Broiled Scallops.
Aldis sells a jar of pesto imported from italy in different styles. Regular Pesto and pesto with dried tomatoes and
Pesto with Grana Padano, its good stuff. The jars are small so theres no waste.

Common
05-25-2015, 04:14 AM
Tell you what I make for a quick thing. I take anchovies and chop them into small pieces. I saute olive oil and garlic and right before the garlic is done, I toss the anchovies into the oil and they disintigrate into black specs.
I toss with spaghetti and some parsley and crushed red pepper. It doesnt take like fish at all. I always have a couple of cans of anchovies around.

I just wish garlic stayed fresh longer. Its one item that keeps me running to the veggie stand or supermarket all the time

Redrose
05-25-2015, 04:16 AM
I never bought the tricolor but I believe publix has it. I love linguine with Pesto and Broiled Scallops.
Aldis sells a jar of pesto imported from italy in different styles. Regular Pesto and pesto with dried tomatoes and
Pesto with Grana Padano, its good stuff. The jars are small so theres no waste.

We are FINALLY getting a Publix here. I have to drive to Knoxville to the closest Publix, which is about an hour. Too far to food shop, things melt.

Our Publix will open next Spring. It will be about 10 minutes away. Hallelujah!!

I have made my own pesto. Fresh basil, EVOO and pinoli nuts. I love it, even cold.

Captain Obvious
05-25-2015, 05:13 AM

You're really upset with this scrapple stuff.

Captain Obvious
05-25-2015, 05:14 AM
We are FINALLY getting a Publix here. I have to drive to Knoxville to the closest Publix, which is about an hour. Too far to food shop, things melt.

Our Publix will open next Spring. It will be about 10 minutes away. Hallelujah!!

I have made my own pesto. Fresh basil, EVOO and pinoli nuts. I love it, even cold.

We get fresh basil pretty much everywhere which I'm sort of surprised, we eat a fair amount of it. In salad with tomatoes.

Common
05-25-2015, 06:22 AM

i make my own also, just for info, i bought material coolers from costco. Nylon type they fold relatively flat and ive keep icecream in it from freezing for two hours. They are excellent, i bought two of them

Common
05-25-2015, 06:28 AM
We get fresh basil pretty much everywhere which I'm sort of surprised, we eat a fair amount of it. In salad with tomatoes.

Basil is good stuff

zelmo1234
05-25-2015, 07:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_UDDAfV1aA

PolWatch
06-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Tonight was the first official fruit of summer! 'Mater samwich! Husband bought some red, ripe tomatoes from a local fruit stand....sliced with mayo, salt & pepper....heavenly! Real ripe tomato flavor!

Our tomato plants all drowned in the recent rains so we had to buy 'em instead of growing them this year.

Peter1469
06-04-2015, 07:34 PM
pork in honey and pineapple. jasmine rice. Thai shrimp salad.

PolWatch
06-04-2015, 07:38 PM
I love jasmine rice. I use in stuffed bell peppers....with green onion sausage!

PolWatch
06-13-2015, 07:01 PM
It may be humid and getting hot....but I love the Gulf Coast. I just put 25 lbs of fresh, Gulf shrimp in the freezer. A friend caught them yesterday....beautiful, white, 12 count! Boiled shrimp for supper tonight!

Mister D
06-13-2015, 07:03 PM
It may be humid and getting hot....but I love the Gulf Coast. I just put 25 lbs of fresh, Gulf shrimp in the freezer. A friend caught them yesterday....beautiful, white, 12 count! Boiled shrimp for supper tonight!

25 pounds!?

PolWatch
06-13-2015, 07:06 PM
25 pounds!?

yeap. I will probably put more up later if he catches some smaller shrimp for gumbos, etc. We always try to put up seafood when the quality is high and the price is low. Can't beat shrimp that has been put up with a few hours of catching them.

Mister D
06-13-2015, 07:07 PM
yeap. I will probably put more up later if he catches some smaller shrimp for gumbos, etc. We always try to put up seafood when the quality is high and the price is low. Can't beat shrimp that has been put up with a few hours of catching them.

:angry:

Peter1469
06-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Sounds yummy!

Redrose
06-13-2015, 08:12 PM

That's true of most fish. We'd get flounder and fluke on Long Island, filet it and cook it right away, it was excellent. Bluefish, black fish, blue claw crabs, clams, scallops were great.

silvereyes
06-18-2015, 08:29 AM
roast with baby carrots and new potatoes.

PolWatch
06-18-2015, 08:38 AM
roast with baby carrots and new potatoes.

yum! Roast samwich tomorrow!

Captain Obvious
07-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Since the wife has been spending time back at the homestead I'm down here by myself. I don't make full meals just for me, I can live on pennies a day.

So over the weekend I got some lunchmeat and cheese and those tortilla things and made like lunchmeat burritos. Chopped up some green onions and tomatoes too for them. Add a little dab of sour cream and a healthy blast of cock sauce and it ain't too bad.

So she's down here a couple days because she misses the sex and sees the tortillas. Makes faces at me after I tell her my scheme so I made them yesterday for dinner.

On the way home today I text her to make sure she got home ok, a little late maybe. Had to stop at the store for lunchmeat and tortillas.

Captain Obvious
10-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Bought some cubed pork steaks for chicken fried steak.

Mixed flour and a LOT of pepper, garlic powder, salt and paprika (lots of all of them) and egged/breaded the pork steaks. They were way softer than I expected, almost near ground meat and the fell apart a bit but that was ok. Fried them in an iron skillet.

Made mashed (with skins on naturally) and we bought some dried white gravy mix. She made it and sort of panicked, it was really bland but a heavy dose of salt and pepper rescued it.

It was outstanding, all of it, I was instructed to make it again.

Redrose
10-14-2015, 08:30 PM

Mixed flour and a LOT of pepper, garlic powder, salt and paprika (lots of all of them) and egged/breaded the pork steaks. They were way softer than I expected, almost near ground meat and the fell apart a bit but that was ok. Fried them in an iron skillet.

Made mashed (with skins on naturally) and we bought some dried white gravy mix. She made it and sort of panicked, it was really bland but a heavy dose of salt and pepper rescued it.

Sounds delicious. I love red potatoes mashed with the skins. I pepper everything. :smiley:

Mister D
10-14-2015, 08:54 PM

Du Breton has these really thin sliced pork cutlets that would be perfect for that.

Mister D
10-14-2015, 08:54 PM
I don't often bread and fry meat though.

Captain Obvious
10-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Du Breton has these really thin sliced pork cutlets that would be perfect for that.

I've been suddenly inspired to pound some chicken and/or pork thin into cutlets and fry them.

Maybe on next weeks menu, we have a full fridge for dinners this week so far.

Mister D
10-14-2015, 08:59 PM
I've been suddenly inspired to pound some chicken and/or pork thin into cutlets and fry them.

Maybe on next weeks menu, we have a full fridge for dinners this week so far.

Whole Foods has these cutlets for a few weeks now. It's one of those random things you don't see to often. It's not available regularly. I remember finding some Du Breton pork cubes for stew one time. lol First and only time I ever found lean pork cubed specifically for stew. Anyway, the cutlets are enticing...

Common
10-14-2015, 10:48 PM
Sounds delicious. I love red potatoes mashed with the skins. I pepper everything. :smiley:

Think about this, Bought " Pork for chicken fried steak " :)

Common
10-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Whole Foods has these cutlets for a few weeks now. It's one of those random things you don't see to often. It's not available regularly. I remember finding some Du Breton pork cubes for stew one time. lol First and only time I ever found lean pork cubed specifically for stew. Anyway, the cutlets are enticing...

Whats with the boycott of whole foods in jersey, I saw something about it.

Redrose
10-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Think about this, Bought " Pork for chicken fried steak " :)

I caught that but knew what he meant. I think many say 'chicken fried steak' as the style of cooking.

Common
10-14-2015, 10:53 PM
I caught that but knew what he meant. I think many say 'chicken fried steak' as the style of cooking.

I know :) its in alot of restaurants here. What caught my eye was the pork for chicken fried steak.Its got all 3 meats.

Redrose
10-14-2015, 10:57 PM
I made an easy lunch today. I had some ground beef, 93% lean mixed it with some ground sweet Italian sausage, added chopped onions, salt and pepper, parsley, garlic powder and an egg. I browned the meat in a bit of oil first.

I made two patties. Then took some philo dough and made a pocket for the patty. Coated the pocket with oil/butter combo and backed covered with foil for 15 minues, then uncovered for 30 minutes.

They were great.

Common
10-14-2015, 11:01 PM
They sound really good, you made it sound easy but theres some work to that.

Redrose
10-14-2015, 11:22 PM
They sound really good, you made it sound easy but theres some work to that.

The hardest part is getting the philo dough just right. Too cold it cracks, too warm it melts and is unworkable. I'm pretty good with it, I've used it quite often for desserts and dinners. You can use frozen pie crusts too, but the philo dough is much flakier. You can uses more than one layer of philo dough, brush liquid butter between layers. Then the pockets look like a turnover...flaky.

PolWatch
10-15-2015, 04:02 AM
I haven't been able to stand up long enough to cook anything decent for a couple of weeks now. I'm really glad I had several meals in the freezer....sausage stuffed peppers, beef soup, a couple of different casseroles, stuffed manicotti & shrimp stuffed merlitons. The freezer is running out of prepared meals and we are facing husband's meal planning....I hope I can start standing up more....you can only eat so much delivered pizza!

Chloe
10-15-2015, 04:07 AM
All I had for dinner last night was two vanilla pudding cups that were left over from babysitting and then a short time later some leftover brown rice. I'm surprisingly not hungry at the moment but i'm about to go back to bed before I do get hungry.

Matty
10-15-2015, 05:14 AM
I haven't been able to stand up long enough to cook anything decent for a couple of weeks now. I'm really glad I had several meals in the freezer....sausage stuffed peppers, beef soup, a couple of different casseroles, stuffed manicotti & shrimp stuffed merlitons. The freezer is running out of prepared meals and we are facing husband's meal planning....I hope I can start standing up more....you can only eat so much delivered pizza!

Can you teach him to make simple suff like eggs, or pancakes? Does he grill? Tacos are easy and good.

nathanbforrest45
10-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Bangers and Mash. I am going to try that. Its the onion gravy that makes the difference (that and using actual "banger" sausages). I may do it next week end or maybe this Thursday night.

Redrose
10-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Bangers and Mash. I am going to try that. Its the onion gravy that makes the difference (that and using actual "banger" sausages). I may do it next week end or maybe this Thursday night.

My grandmother in England would make bangers and mash. I hated it. The sausages were very fatty.

She'd make bubble and squeek. That I liked.

nathanbforrest45
10-20-2015, 02:12 PM
My grandmother in England would make bangers and mash. I hated it. The sausages were very fatty.

She'd make bubble and squeek. That I liked.

Bubble and Squeak - I always thought that was cabbage and sausage but its not is it? Its cabbage, mashed potatoes and other veggies.

One thing I make very well is Polish sausages, sliced potatoes and cabbage.

1 large Keilbasa sausage cut into 1 inch segments
I head of cabbage shredded
enough potatoes, sliced
1 yellow onion sliced
I can Swanson's Chicken Broth.
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Lightly brown the sausage in olive oil
Add the potatoes and light brown those as well.
in cast iron frying pan with a lid place all of the ingredients
bring to boil, then simmer until cabbage is the desired doneness about 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve with rye or pumpernickel bread with butter and good German beer.

Redrose
10-20-2015, 02:25 PM
Bubble and Squeak - I always thought that was cabbage and sausage but its not is it? Its cabbage, mashed potatoes and other veggies.

One thing I make very well is Polish sausages, sliced potatoes and cabbage.

1 large Keilbasa sausage cut into 1 inch segments
I head of cabbage shredded
enough potatoes, sliced
1 yellow onion sliced
I can Swanson's Chicken Broth.
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Lightly brown the sausage in olive oil
Add the potatoes and light brown those as well.
in cast iron frying pan with a lid place all of the ingredients
bring to boil, then simmer until cabbage is the desired doneness about 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve with rye or pumpernickel bread with butter and good German beer.

They way she'd make it was cabbage and potatoes with a piece of pork in the pot. Very tasty. These were 'poor man's' meals. She'd make meat pies too. A simply pastry dough in a pan, she'd cut up all the leftover meats, veggies, and stuff the pie crust, top and bottom, bake, serve with a jelly or a jam on the side. It was beautiflul watching her make the dough, such a light touch. Her dessert pies were great too.

That recipe sound great, I like Keilbasa with sauerkraut. My ex was from Denmark and liked sauerkraut cooked with flour and fennel. It is thick like mashed potatoes. A 'stick to your ribs' sort of meal.

Peter1469
10-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Baked cod and pasta.

Captain Obvious
10-20-2015, 08:10 PM

My wife's birthday is St. Patrick's Day, I was taking her to a local place who did bangers for their special.

It's really nothing special, kind of bland but the nostalgia is what counts.

Corned beef and cabbage is much better IMO.

PolWatch
10-20-2015, 08:14 PM
I love corned beef & cabbage....I like to add boiled red potatoes & carrots to the pot!

Peter1469
10-20-2015, 08:15 PM
My wife's birthday is St. Patrick's Day, I was taking her to a local place who did bangers for their special.

It's really nothing special, kind of bland but the nostalgia is what counts.

Corned beef and cabbage is much better IMO.

Haggis (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/haggis-recipe.html) is better.

Captain Obvious
10-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Haggis (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/haggis-recipe.html) is better.

Never tried it. I would, not anxious to try it though. But if given the opportunity I would.

Peter1469
10-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Never tried it. I would, not anxious to try it though. But if given the opportunity I would.

I think it was part of my meals for all of my meals the last time that I was in Scotland. To include a week on Lock Ness hunting for the monster!

Captain Obvious
10-20-2015, 08:43 PM
I think it was part of my meals for all of my meals the last time that I was in Scotland. To include a week on Lock Ness hunting for the monster!

I'm... funny about offal. Liver smells great frying, tastes like crap. The texture is.. ugh.

We make shepherds pie but use beef.

I do like liverwurst though, it's a key ingredient in my famous "stinkwitch". Liverwurst, seeded rye, sliced raw onion, limburger and horseradish mustard.

Peter1469
10-20-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm... funny about offal. Liver smells great frying, tastes like crap. The texture is.. ugh.

I do like liverwurst though, it's a key ingredient in my famous "stinkwitch". Liverwurst, seeded rye, sliced raw onion, limburger and horseradish mustard.

The key with liver is to chop it very fine. Then roll it in spices.

It is so good that way. But a slab of liver on the plate..., forget it.

Mister D
10-20-2015, 08:56 PM

I like liverwurst but I kind of use it like it was a condiment. I'll put thin slices of liverwurst on a sandwich, for example, like it was an onion.

Mister D
10-20-2015, 08:58 PM
The key with liver is to chop it very fine. Then roll it in spices.

It is so good that way. But a slab of liver on the plate..., forget it.

Chicken livers are pretty good though. I don't think the chickens live as long so the liver isn't anywhere near as funky as a cow's. You still know it's liver but it's pretty good. When I get a whole chicken I'll eat the liver right out of the roasting pan. No seasoning. Just coated in chicken fat.

Captain Obvious
10-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Chicken livers are pretty good though. I don't think the chickens live as long so the liver isn't anywhere near as funky as a cow's. You still know it's liver but it's pretty good. When I get a whole chicken I'll eat the liver right out of the roasting pan. No seasoning. Just coated in chicken fat.

It's great catfish bait if you leave it in the sun for a day or two.

Peter1469
10-20-2015, 09:01 PM

I prefer beef liver. But I can drop a chicken liver in one bite.

Redrose
10-20-2015, 09:41 PM

Boarshead Brunsweiger liverwurst cut thick on dark brown bread with course ground mustard, onion and a sliced beet and some raw horseradish. I could easily overdose on that.

Dr. Who
10-20-2015, 11:03 PM
I must be weird. I like liver, but it has to be cooked properly - not fried to shoe leather, but cooked through. Better cooked with onions.

Redrose
10-20-2015, 11:26 PM
We had a dachshund named Fritzi when I was a teen, he loved calves liver but would only eat it with fried onions like we did. He was fussy.

valley ranch
10-21-2015, 01:47 AM
The Bangers in Australia aren't fatty.

Was Fritzti a long hair Dachshund? Then he could be fussy and fuzzy. Wifey and her mum used to raise Dachshunds.

I used to love liver, wifey can't stand it, now I don't know. When my brother John got out of the service he started a chicken ranch on the folks farm, with an store on the roadside where whole poultry an parts.[also sold to restaurants]There were trays of liver. We used to eat whole meals of liver at times. But now I don't miss it. I do miss mom's Turkey stuffing, made with rice and contained cut up liver and spices. We used to sell bags of dried bread stuffing, couldn't believe anyone would eat it. Now most people have that even if they have another stuffing.

Redrose
10-21-2015, 02:14 AM
The Bangers in Australia aren't fatty.

Was Fritzti a long hair Dachshund? Then he could be fussy and fuzzy. Wifey and her mum used to raise Dachshunds.

I used to love liver, wifey can't stand it, now I don't know. When my brother John got out of the service he started a chicken ranch on the folks farm, with an store on the roadside where whole poultry an parts.[also sold to restaurants]There were trays of liver. We used to eat whole meals of liver at times. But now I don't miss it. I do miss mom's Turkey stuffing, made with rice and contained cut up liver and spices. We used to sell bags of dried bread stuffing, couldn't believe anyone would eat it. Now most people have that even if they have another stuffing.

Fritzi was a black and tan short haired dachshund. Very fat. Spoiled rotten. He was my sweet 16 birthday present. He was 16 when he passed away. He was the only dog that ever bit me, I foolishly tried to take a bone out of his mouth. 16 stitches on my hand. He was a good dog really, I was very dumb to do that.

I never cared for chicken livers. I do love calves liver though. I haven't had it in years, my husband can't stand the smell of it cooking. My ex MIL would make goose liver pate, quite good.

My best stuffing is for duck, I use apples and prunes with a good bread stuffing, some white raisins are nice too and some walnuts if I have them.

I made an oyster stuffing one year for Thanksgiving, and there was almost a mutiny that year, nobody liked oysters.

Mister D
10-21-2015, 09:23 AM
I prefer beef liver. But I can drop a chicken liver in one bite.

I want to experiment a little chicken livers. Maybe over pasta.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2015, 08:40 PM
I want to experiment a little chicken livers. Maybe over pasta.

Liver pate is on my next cooking to-do list but I think I'm going to use calves liver.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Playing with fennel. There's available fresh fennel here so I did this. Got two whole fennel bunches, sliced the bulbs up for salad. Added sectioned oranges and grapefruits (and juice from both). Some olive oil, pepper, just a pinch of salt and fresh basil.

Then took the fennel sprigs and chopped them up and coated some salmon steaks with them. Salt, pepper and pan fried them in olive oil.

Going to make that salad again. Salmon was great too but the fennel was really mild.

sachem
11-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Playing with fennel. There's available fresh fennel here so I did this. Got two whole fennel bunches, sliced the bulbs up for salad. Added sectioned oranges and grapefruits (and juice from both). Some olive oil, pepper, just a pinch of salt and fresh basil.

Then took the fennel sprigs and chopped them up and coated some salmon steaks with them. Salt, pepper and pan fried them in olive oil.

Going to make that salad again. Salmon was great too but the fennel was really mild.Any of that stuff food?

del
11-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Any of that stuff food?

https://d.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1380422340ra/840150.gif

Gypsy
11-07-2015, 10:31 PM
My best friend came over with potato soup and we watched a documentary about H.H. Holmes lol

Captain Obvious
11-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Any of that stuff food?

Plebe!

jimmyz
11-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Is vodka and Ritz crackers food?

Captain Obvious
11-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Is vodka and Ritz crackers food?

The breakfast of champions

sachem
11-08-2015, 01:27 AM
Is vodka and Ritz crackers food?I'm mostly of Irish heritage. A potato is a potato.

Captain Obvious
11-08-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm mostly of Irish heritage. A potato is a potato.

A mick from Baahston, huh?

sachem
11-08-2015, 03:19 PM
A mick from Baahston, huh?I know. Who'd a thunk it?

Common
11-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Theres irish in boston ?

Mister D
11-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Theres irish in boston ?

Didn't you see Good Will Hunting?

Common
11-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Didn't you see Good Will Hunting?

I was kidding

sachem
11-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Theres irish in boston ?

Didn't you see Good Will Hunting?Funny, funny boys. :p

Captain Obvious
11-08-2015, 04:04 PM
I didn't see Good Will Hunting actually

sachem
11-08-2015, 05:35 PM
I didn't see Good Will Hunting actuallyThey talk funny.

Captain Obvious
11-08-2015, 09:02 PM
They talk funny.

I'm from Pittsburgh, it comes naturally.

Captain Obvious
11-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Meatloaf and baked/smashed potatoes.

My meatloaf is hands down among the best and yeah, I top it like a cake with ketchup. The secret is lots of pepper and lots of parsley.

Those potatoes are great too, I bake them then mash them with a hand masher. Add sour cream (sour cream in mashed potatoes is fucking fan-tastic), lots of pepper and some salt, butter, a little milk and chopped green onions as a topping. And sharp cheddar - in the potatoes.

Mister D
11-08-2015, 09:08 PM
I haven't made meatloaf in ages. I should get one of those meatloaf pans.

Captain Obvious
11-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Use a cake pan.

Mister D
11-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Use a cake pan.

I don't have anything of the kind right now. I'll have to get something. I tried it a few times without a pan and it was good but it was oddly shaped and kept falling apart.

Captain Obvious
11-08-2015, 09:25 PM
I don't have anything of the kind right now. I'll have to get something. I tried it a few times without a pan and it was good but it was oddly shaped and kept falling apart.

You should have been a contestant on Queer Eye.

Common
11-09-2015, 02:21 AM
I haven't made meatloaf in ages. I should get one of those meatloaf pans.

I bought a good meatloaf pan from cutlery and more site. Loaf sits in a removeable rack that lets all the fat drip down. Makes it come out much better imo

Common
11-09-2015, 10:39 AM
The last meatloaf my wife made she mixed 50/50 very lean turkey and beef. I couldnt tell the difference that there was turkey in it.
My wife does it with tomato juice of which sacramento is the best. Its much better than the ketchupy taste and as you baste the tamato juice it thickens some. So its a slightly healthier meatloaf with less fat.

Peter1469
11-09-2015, 01:50 PM
I like a beef, lamb, pork mix.

Gypsy
11-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Would you guys come cook for me? lol

Common Sense
11-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Crap, now I want meatloaf.

Peter1469
11-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Would you guys come cook for me? lol

I would!

Gypsy
11-09-2015, 04:51 PM
I would!

Come on over! lol

Peter1469
11-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Come on over! lol

What would your choice for dinner be?

jimmyz
11-09-2015, 04:58 PM
What would your choice for dinner be?

Beef Stroganoff served over garlic mashed potatoes (instead of egg noodles) and lemon buttered sauteed zuchini

Matty
11-09-2015, 05:02 PM
I am having some fruit and cottage cheese tonight.

Gypsy
11-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Hmmm cajun sounds wonderful and Arnaud's is my FAVORITE place to eat. But I'd like meatloaf and baked smashed potatoes lol

Peter1469
11-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Hmmm cajun sounds wonderful and Arnaud's is my FAVORITE place to eat. But I'd like meatloaf and baked smashed potatoes lol

I make a good andoullie gumbo. I grew up south west of New Orleans.

Gypsy
11-09-2015, 05:12 PM
I make a good andoulliegumbo. I grew up south west of New Orleans.

You are my new favorite person!

Peter1469
11-09-2015, 05:13 PM
I make a good andoullie gumbo. I grew up south west of New Orleans.

sachem
11-09-2015, 05:34 PM
We never had ketchup anywhere near our meatloaf growing up. I prefer it that way.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2015, 06:55 PM
So I deep fried wings for a change, I usually grill them.

I tried frying them before and they always stuck but I've gotten better at things. Took veg oil and an iron dutch oven and fried them, moved them around constantly. No basket also.

They turned out perfect, crispy and the sauce I made which was a bunch of things but I used a little butter in it (and tons of garlic) and some oyster sauce, turned out fantastic.

Now I'm feeling all fat.

Captain Obvious
11-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Chicken fajitas and home-made guacamole.

Seared chicken breasts with a lot of stuff on them, garlic, fresh lime juice, cumin, cilantro, sliced it up thin (still pink in the middle) and re-fried them with lots of colorful bell peppers, onions, more garlic, more cilantro, etc.

Made guacamole from fresh avacados which was basically avacado, garlic, tomato, cilantro and onion.

Served on heated tortillas with cheese, fresh chopped green onion, salsa, sour cream, stuff like that.

It was so friggen good I'm still burping it.

;)

Captain Obvious
11-15-2015, 10:08 PM
My kid made most of the guacamole too, even chopped the garlic.

The awesome was overflowing.

sachem
11-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Chicken fajitas and home-made guacamole.

Seared chicken breasts with a lot of stuff on them, garlic, fresh lime juice, cumin, cilantro, sliced it up thin (still pink in the middle) and re-fried them with lots of colorful bell peppers, onions, more garlic, more cilantro, etc.

Made guacamole from fresh avacados which was basically avacado, garlic, tomato, cilantro and onion.

Served on heated tortillas with cheese, fresh chopped green onion, salsa, sour cream, stuff like that.

It was so friggen good I'm still burping it.

;)I think I'm falling in love with you. You are such a charmer.

:p

Captain Obvious
11-15-2015, 10:20 PM
I think I'm falling in love with you. You are such a charmer.

:p

I have my downsides too.

;)

sachem
11-15-2015, 10:27 PM
I have my downsides too.

;)You're married??

:D

Captain Obvious
11-15-2015, 10:29 PM
You're married??

:D

I prefer "availability challenged".

http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/smilies/newsmilies/biglaugh.gif

PolWatch
11-16-2015, 04:15 AM
I made a huge pot of vegetable beef soup yesterday....celery, onion,peppers, corn, peas, okra, cabbage, potatoes, garlic, tomatoes, barley, chunks of sirloin, cayenne peppers and everything else I could find in the fresh produce department! One of the nephews ate about a gallon of soup (he is big fella - appx 6'4").

Tricia
11-16-2015, 01:45 PM
New recipe: tostadas in the slow cooker. I love dumping stuff in my slow cooker and letting it cook all day. With my family on various schedules (sports teams, etc) it is great to have something hot that they can grab at their convenience.

Peter1469
11-16-2015, 02:01 PM
I need to do that more often.

Captain Obvious
11-16-2015, 06:11 PM
New recipe: tostadas in the slow cooker. I love dumping stuff in my slow cooker and letting it cook all day. With my family on various schedules (sports teams, etc) it is great to have something hot that they can grab at their convenience.

Yeah, we use ours more and more anymore. Doing pulled pork again, butts were on sale for 99 cents.

And mac and cheese is pretty good in the crock too.

Gypsy
11-16-2015, 06:46 PM
I made beef stew the other night. Nothing for tonight, no appetite. Chicken and dumplings tomorrow night.

Common
11-16-2015, 07:17 PM
My wife has a horrific sinus infection, shes on antibiotics and has a headache from hell. She had zero appetite. So I put on my apron and my chef luigi hat and created my famous tuna fish with onion and mayo on rye toast. It was a culinary masterpiece that delighted the palate, I finished with a non aged glass of clear ice water with dill pickles and roasted peppers on the side.

PolWatch
11-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Tonight was lasagna.....I can't make a small pan of the stuff so I freeze it in containers for 2. Tonight was no cooking....just thaw & warm! (but I did make chocolate chip/pecan cookies for dessert)

Archer0915
11-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Sketti and wine!

Common
11-16-2015, 07:41 PM
My wife has a tray of lasagna she made in the freezer

Archer0915
11-16-2015, 07:48 PM
My wife has a tray of lasagna she made in the freezer
Must have wine or beer with that!

Tricia
11-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Tonight was lasagna.....I can't make a small pan of the stuff so I freeze it in containers for 2. Tonight was no cooking....just thaw & warm! (but I did make chocolate chip/pecan cookies for dessert)

I always do double batches of baked spaghetti and chicken pies so I will have extra to freeze for later.

Common
11-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Must have wine or beer with that!

Red Wine Barolo or chianti, malbec or cabernet savignon, they are my favorites anyway

Mister D
11-16-2015, 08:01 PM
I never consume alcohol with my meals. I'll drink before and after but I like water when I'm eating.

Common
11-16-2015, 08:05 PM
I never consume alcohol with my meals. I'll drink before and after but I like water when I'm eating.

So do I, I most always drink water, except when im eating red sauced anything, I have a glass of wine and water. I dont drink wine with meat or poultry. I have with potroast though a friend got me on that.

Archer0915
11-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Pasta is the only meal I have wine with. Most wine useage around my home is actually for cooking.

Mister D
11-16-2015, 08:50 PM
So do I, I most always drink water, except when im eating red sauced anything, I have a glass of wine and water. I dont drink wine with meat or poultry. I have with potroast though a friend got me on that.

Havn't had pot roast in ages. Sounds like a good crock pot dish.

Common
11-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Havn't had pot roast in ages. Sounds like a good crock pot dish.

Thats how I do it, stick it in the crock on low, add a little water mixed with low salt beef boullion. I slice onions thick and lay then on the bottom of the potroast and the top. Let it go for 3 hours or so and add carrots potatoes and whole button mushrooms. Then let it go until it falls apart, if the carrots and taters are done before the meat is super tender, I take them out and re heat. I do add seasoning to our taste

Tricia
11-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Thats how I do it, stick it in the crock on low, add a little water mixed with low salt beef boullion. I slice onions thick and lay then on the bottom of the potroast and the top. Let it go for 3 hours or so and add carrots potatoes and whole button mushrooms. Then let it go until it falls apart, if the carrots and taters are done before the meat is super tender, I take them out and re heat. I do add seasoning to our taste

You missed my pot roast thread the other day, Common. Yours sounds delicious!

Common
11-16-2015, 09:08 PM
You missed my pot roast thread the other day, Common. Yours sounds delicious!

Aww I did miss it, I dont have my puter running yet, im on a laptop, im used to a 30 inch screen now i have a 15

Mister D
11-16-2015, 09:13 PM

Let's say it's a 3 pound roast. How much water?

Common
11-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Let's say it's a 3 pound roast. How much water?

I mix warm water with low salt beef boullion and I would put it halfway up the roast. If your lid isnt tight and you lose too much just add some more. You dont want too much water

Mister D
11-16-2015, 09:22 PM
I mix warm water with low salt beef boullion and I would put it halfway up the roast. If your lid isnt tight and you lose too much just add some more. You dont want too much water

OK that's good enough. About halfway up the roast.