PDA

View Full Version : Kirsten Dunst: Men need to be men, women need to be women

Green Arrow
04-14-2014, 10:28 AM
via Us Weekly (http://m.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/kirsten-dunst-traditional-gender-role-comments-harpers-bazaar-uk-201484):

Feminist are chanting "Off with her head!" after Marie Antoinette star Kirsten Dunst's latest comments on gender roles were revealed in the May issue of Harper's Bazaar UK.

The 31-year-old cover girl has a more traditional view when it comes to relationships between men and women.

"I feel like the feminine has been a little undervalued," she told the magazine. "We all have to get our own jobs and make our own money, but staying at home, nurturing, being the mother, cooking – it’s a valuable thing my mom created."

The Midnight Special star, who has been dating actor Garrett Hedlund since the Sundance Film Festival in January 2012, argues that finding a manly man is necessary.

"And sometimes, you need your knight in shining armour," continued Dunst, whose exes include Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire, and Justin Long. "I’m sorry. You need a man to be a man and a woman to be a woman. That’s how relationships work."

Naturally, her comments have stirred up controversy on the Internet. Sites like Jezebel and Uproxx have bashed Dunst's comments.

“Kirsten Dunst is not paid to write gender theory so it shouldn't surprise anyone that she's kind of dumb about it,” Jezebel writer Erin Gloria Ryan wrote.

After dating Toby Maguire, it's no wonder she wants a manly man.

zelmo1234
04-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Yes that will not go over well, in the circles she runs in!

Germanicus
04-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Is this some kind of talking point or something? I read about this on another site the other day. Kinda. That thread was saying how Kirsten Dunst had offended feminists.

Kirsten Dunst is hot.

Kirsten Dunst is so ruling class it isnt funny. Interview with a Vampire. Years off and then career. And lets face it, she isnt really that hot. You will see a hotter girl in the supermarket next time you go grocery shopping. So is this some kind of talking point? What is the point?

And I bet Toby Maquire would beat you up Green Arrow. Toby Maguire is a good actor and he is in a few movies that I like. He is so Ruling Class its not funny too. I remember seeing him in a picture with Leonardo Dicarprio in some pool in the backyard of some mansion when they were both teenagers and Leo had just finished Growing Pains. These motherfuckers clearly have things planned out for them. These Ruling Class types.

# bet

edit- I hate Leonardo Dicaprio. He watches Jersey Shore does he? Funny stuff Leo. Fucking faggot.

Kirsten Dunst is in this film clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZDMRJXY0nk

edit- actually I remember reading in I think that very magazine with the pic that Leo had a poor single mother and all this nonsense. These Ruling Class types have fake identities. They pretend to have come from poor backgrounds sometimes. Holy fuck America is strange. The backstory of Leo is utter bullcrap is my guess.

The Ruling Class must be such cowards.

Chris
04-14-2014, 10:58 AM
There's an aspect of this I agree with her. Alfred Jay Nock, Memoirs of a Superfluous Man, talks about the women's movement--this was back in the 50s still--and criticizes it because it seems women were not after betting themselves as women but after becoming equal to men, becoming like men, becoming men. Women should be women, memn, men. --Maybe she didn't intend that.

Kabuki Joe
04-14-2014, 11:02 AM
via Us Weekly (http://m.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/kirsten-dunst-traditional-gender-role-comments-harpers-bazaar-uk-201484):

After dating Toby Maguire, it's no wonder she wants a manly man.

...what would a bisexual, cry me a river of tears know about being a man?...tell me, I'm interested...

Peter1469
04-14-2014, 11:09 AM
...what would a bisexual, cry me a river of tears know about being a man?...tell me, I'm interested...

Warning: stop the personal attacks.

kilgram
04-14-2014, 11:20 AM
What is a manly man?

It is a topic that is absolutely foreign to me. And in all the threads that I've participated about this it has not been explained. What is expected from a man?

sachem
04-14-2014, 11:29 AM
If Kirsten said it, it must be true.

Bob
04-14-2014, 11:43 AM
There's an aspect of this I agree with her. Alfred Jay Nock, Memoirs of a Superfluous Man, talks about the women's movement--this was back in the 50s still--and criticizes it because it seems women were not after betting themselves as women but after becoming equal to men, becoming like men, becoming men. Women should be women, memn, men. --Maybe she didn't intend that.

Women should understand this fact. They become mothers. There is nothing wrong with a woman being a woman. The man is not the same as the woman. They are equals so don't get the wrong idea. If she holds a job, she deserves equal pay if she has equal training and experience.

Some construction jobs have women out getting filthy with the men. If they can do journeyman work, pay them scale.

I once worked on a construction job where one of the crew, a man, had lost his arm in a construction accident. He got full pay though he had one arm.

The Xl
04-14-2014, 11:46 AM
She's entitled to her opinion, for sure. But at the end of the day, individuals need to do what's best for them, and if Ms. Dunst believes what she says, she needs to go get her a Brock Lesnar king of the jungle and not a fuckin Toby Maguire.

Captain Obvious
04-14-2014, 11:50 AM
I have absolutely no idea who any of these people are.

The Xl
04-14-2014, 11:50 AM
I have absolutely no idea who any of these people are.

Dunst was that chick in the spider man movie

Captain Obvious
04-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Dunst was that chick in the spider man movie

Recent movie? I think I only saw the first one.

The Xl
04-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Recent movie? I think I only saw the first one.

I'm pretty sure she was in the 1st one. The redhead

Captain Obvious
04-14-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure she was in the 1st one. The redhead

OK - I know who she is now.

Chris
04-14-2014, 11:56 AM
What is a manly man?

It is a topic that is absolutely foreign to me. And in all the threads that I've participated about this it has not been explained. What is expected from a man?

I don't think many of us even ask.

midcan5
04-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Huh, so I guess my question would be when is a woman not a woman or a man not a man? Is there some special time during the day when a woman can dig a ditch and a man cook? Is that it? This stuff is too silly for additional comment.

"There is no spectacle on earth more appealing than that of a beautiful woman [handsome man] in the act of cooking dinner for someone she [he] loves." Thomas Wolfe

Depends on who's looking. Anyone ever read Wolfe, his words can flow like water. Edit, see how I had to add a descriptive. ;)

What is a manly man?

Me, I'll ask my wife when she is back. Be back this evening.

Alyosha
04-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Why does her opinion bother people?

Captain Obvious
04-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Huh, so I guess my question would be when is a woman not a woman or a man not a man? Is there some special time during the day when a woman can dig a ditch and a man cook? Is that it? This stuff is too silly for additional comment.

"There is no spectacle on earth more appealing than that of a beautiful woman [handsome man] in the act of cooking dinner for someone she [he] loves." Thomas Wolfe

Depends on who's looking. Anyone ever read Wolfe, his words can flow like water. Edit, see how I had to add a descriptive. ;)

Is she visiting a real man?

(sorry, I just had to post that - I'm totally joking!)

Bob
04-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Why does her opinion bother people?
I don't know. It does not bother me one bit.

Bob
04-14-2014, 01:00 PM
She's entitled to her opinion, for sure. But at the end of the day, individuals need to do what's best for them, and if Ms. Dunst believes what she says, she needs to go get her a Brock Lesnar king of the jungle and not a fuckin Toby Maguire.

Interesting smear against Toby Maquire.

The Xl
04-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Not a smear, just an observation.

midcan5
04-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Ok we have a consensus, a manly man is a man who is comfortable with themselves. That from a few woman. A bit vague I acknowledge. It seems women find men who are secure in their skin, and with what they do, and are about, manly. Pretty simple really. The secure word came up a few times, and was mentioned with the ability to sometimes be laid back. A man who could feel comfortable in a woman's shop and around things that women do without feeling threatened. And being around other men without the usual braggadocio, and yet secure within themselves.

You can reverse this quote. "A man is already halfway in love with any woman who listens to him." Brendan Francis

Alyosha
04-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Women like men who are hot or men who have money. A poor ugly dude could be secure as all hell in who he is and he's going to be last picked for the kickball team.

Sorry. We're as shallow as you guys are.

Bob
04-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Women like men who are hot or men who have money. A poor ugly dude could be secure as all hell in who he is and he's going to be last picked for the kickball team.

Sorry. We're as shallow as you guys are.

I respect your honesty.

And there are good reasons for a woman to be that way.

She wants her children to be hot.

She wants security.

It is nature, pure and simple nature.

Bob
04-14-2014, 08:06 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=576870#post576870)

Not a smear, just an observation.

I respect honesty. But just in case I am wrong, do you know Toby?

Are you a close friend?

Have you encountered him to know him?

If not, it is a smear.

Kabuki Joe
04-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Ok we have a consensus, a manly man is a man who is comfortable with themselves. That from a few woman. A bit vague I acknowledge. It seems women find men who are secure in their skin, and with what they do, and are about, manly. Pretty simple really. The secure word came up a few times, and was mentioned with the ability to sometimes be laid back. A man who could feel comfortable in a woman's shop and around things that women do without feeling threatened. And being around other men without the usual braggadocio, and yet secure within themselves.

You can reverse this quote. "A man is already halfway in love with any woman who listens to him." Brendan Francis

...women don't set the standard for what men are...if your wife is setting your standard, shame on you...

midcan5
04-15-2014, 07:40 AM
...women don't set the standard for what men are...if your wife is setting your standard, shame on you...

Damn that's dumb, no one said they did, except you read it that way as you mentally live in a box and don't even realize the box controls your every thought.

And to the woman who replied, of course appearance is important but unless you are happy with a cutout figure there's a lot more to attraction than being physically attractive. For the empiricist consider only our divorce rates. And conscious uncoupling is still failure. We do age and change. I'd love to show the very attractive and beautiful couple of so many years ago, but I'll leave it there.

"A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband." Michel de Montaigne

"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person." Mignon MCLaughlin

"It is sometimes essential for a husband and a wife to quarrel they get to know each other better." Goethe

"A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it." John Steinbeck

'A Word to Husbands by Ogden Nash
To keep your marriage brimming
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you’re wrong, admit it;
Whenever you’re right, shut up.'

Kabuki Joe
04-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Damn that's dumb, no one said they did, except you read it that way as you mentally live in a box and don't even realize the box controls your every thought.

And to the woman who replied, of course appearance is important but unless you are happy with a cutout figure there's a lot more to attraction than being physically attractive. For the empiricist consider only our divorce rates. And conscious uncoupling is still failure. We do age and change. I'd love to show the very attractive and beautiful couple of so many years ago, but I'll leave it there.

"A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband." Michel de Montaigne

"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person." Mignon MCLaughlin

"It is sometimes essential for a husband and a wife to quarrel they get to know each other better." Goethe

"A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it." John Steinbeck

'A Word to Husbands by Ogden Nash
To keep your marriage brimming
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you’re wrong, admit it;
Whenever you’re right, shut up.'

...were you not repeating what they said?...