PDA

View Full Version : Star Tribune: Sex abuse of detained immigrant in Minn. jail shows national pattern

spunkloaf
04-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Star Tribune: Sex abuse of detained immigrant in Minn. jail shows national pattern

http://m.startribune.com/?id=255046481

This caught my eye this morning as I was browsing on my phone.

To quote some highlights:

More than 50 ICE *detainees recently sent a letter to the Star Tribune outlining their concerns about being housed at the jail, from fears of being victimized by prisoners to improper medical care.

Sorsor Jallah, a 26-year-old immigrant from Liberia who drafted the letter, said the detainees fear for their lives because they are housed with rapists and other violent offenders. He said many are too afraid to complain.

“A lot of [the detainees] were saying not to sign their names because it might impact their case,” Jallah said.

...(ICE stands for Immigration and Customs Enforcement)

Sherburne County has made a business out of housing other people’s prisoners. In addition to the 85 ICE detainees, there are 183 other federal prisoners and 136 state Department of Corrections prisoners. The county receives about $11.5 million a year to house those prisoners, *translating to about $900,000 in profit.

One of those state prisoners is John Allen Goetz, who was convicted of two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct in 2006 for molesting four children, including a 4-year-old girl. Goetz, 31, has been serving his sentence in Sherburne County with a release date of 2019.

Back in Sherburne County, Jallah, who had permanent residence status, has been detained since February and described the jail as a place that instills fear in many detainees.

“ICE keeps you in here frozen. You can’t make any moves,” Jallah said. “Some get so tired of being in here that they stop fighting their case and say they want to be deported.”

He faces the same fate. Later this month an immigration judge will decide if he can stay or will be deported to Liberia. Jallah has been in the state since 2002 and says he has no roots in the country he left as a teenager.

“I came here when I was 13. I don’t have any family over there,” Jallah said. “There is no law and order. If I get sent back I won’t have anyone there.”

Jallah was working in the oil fields of Williston, N.D., after serving time for a theft conviction in 2010. He said he was on his way to see his probation officer in Duluth when he was pulled over for a burned-out taillight. He was booked in jail and ICE placed a hold on him.

Despite the jail conditions and the prospect of being forced back to Liberia, Jallah still says, “America is the best country in the world.”

“People come here from all over the world to change their lives,” he said. “I still believe Americans are good people.”

On a personal note, I am a bit humbled by this man's statements in the last quote given the shit that the government is putting him through.

I'm for fair and lawful immigration, but this issue goes a bit beyond immigration. This story speaks to the neglect of non-violent, innocent humans who are trying to take part and contribute in our society which is subjecting them to hostile detainment.

I'm also a bit shocked by the amount of money that is "profited" from this. $11.5 million for the handling of 404 total prisoners/detainees in this scenario. That amounts to $28,465.34 per year for each of them. I didn't even make that much money last year and doubt that I will this year, and it is certainly more money than a person on minimum wage can make per year. And we're talking about the cost of providing a living cell and three shitty meals a day.