PDA

View Full Version : MNsure is shifting project management to outside vendorMNsure is shifting project man

Professor Peabody
04-16-2014, 09:42 PM
MNsure is shifting project management to outside vendor

Article by: JEFFREY MEITRODT , Star Tribune
Updated: April 16, 2014 - 6:26 AM

After fumbling the job for more than a year, MNsure has hired an experienced IT company to coordinate the complex work needed to finish and repair its troubled health insurance exchange.

Deloitte Consulting is scheduled Wednesday to present its plans for moving the online marketplace forward during MNsure’s board of directors meeting. It isn’t clear how much the contract with Deloitte is worth, but MNsure’s preliminary budget earmarked at least $10 million for technical work this year.

The hiring of an outside company reflects a grudging recognition that MNsure is not capable of managing the project, a concern recently voiced by its independent auditor. The state agency was created to enroll uninsured Minnesotans as part of the Affordable Care Act, but its efforts have been hampered by a troublesome website that has frustrated thousands of would-be enrollees.

Overall, MNsure failed to make progress on 15 of 44 outstanding issues, worse than any previous quarter, according to the March 20 report. SES concluded that Minnesota “is unable to effectively manage the project.”

http://www.startribune.com/business/255427641.html

Did they really think this would get better with the same people in charge? The article below came out in January....

Independent report slams MNsure leaders, says state should consider scrapping system

News & Features Catharine Richert, Elizabeth Stawicki · St. Paul, Minn. · Jan 22, 2014

An independent consultant has issued a damning report of the state's troubled online insurance marketplace.

MNsure's management structure is "non-existent" according to Optum, a subsidiary of Minnetonka-based UnitedHealth Group, which recently performed a week-long analysis of the more than $100 million website.

MNsure's board members called for the end-to-end review after the website continued to experience major technological issues three months after it launched.

Those problems, however, won't be fixed quickly and the state should consider scrapping the system altogether and starting over, the report said.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/01/22/health/mnsure-report?from=social

Columnist Dave Barry once said Democrats have the management skills of celery, the Minnesota Democrats have shown just how true the statement was. Don't feel too bad Minnesotans, Maryland Democrats spent $125.5 million taxpayers dollars on a system "that crashed within moments of launching"! Now, they're going to spend more to buy someone else's system? I doubt they will get more from the Fed so this one's likely on their state taxpayers backs. Oregon's health insurance exchange is foundering as well.

Minnesotans, you have a chance to fix an awful lot of what's wrong this coming November, but you must remember one thing. All the good intentions in the world don't amount to anything if the folks that have them also have the management skills of celery and can't get it done.

November is a time for choosing, choose wisely and by all means choose competence over ideology regardless of the political party. Go to the campaign town-hall's, ask questions and demand specific answers. If the candidate is unwilling or unable to give specific answers, thank them, then get up and leave immediately. When I did that, almost half got up and followed me out the door. I guess it was a learning experience as the next meeting in a different place she got very specific and was Booed by the audience. She eventually lost the election on those specifics........no surprises later folks.

If you're unhappy with what Obama Care has brought to your family, remember what Franken said......

Sen Al Franken On Health Care: “I’m Proud Of What We’re Doing, I’m Really Proud.” (Senator Al Franken, “Sen. Franken Delivers Final Speech on Health Care Reform,” Press Release, 12/23/09 (http://mngop.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4962e29c827b10a434ddf13b6&id=7e03e485e9&e=af8d172ab8))