PDA

View Full Version : WTF is going on in Chicago?

Mister D
04-22-2014, 03:06 PM
On Easter weekend, 45 people were shot in the city, six of them children.

Snip

And this bloody Easter weekend was preceded by a weekend in which 37 people were shot, four of them fatally.

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-became-chiraq-094500160--politics.html

patrickt
04-22-2014, 03:14 PM
It's Chicago. A city in Illinois. They've been killing each other at a prodigious rate for years. It's also called The Chicago Way. It's what we have in the White House now. Chicago compassion. That concept was started by Al Capone and the original Mayor Daly.

Matty
04-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Aren't you glad you don't live there?

nathanbforrest45
04-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Its a shame really. Chicago is a very pretty city and does have a lot to offer. Its much cleaner than New York. It also has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country.

Matty
04-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Blind liberals.

Perianne
04-22-2014, 03:56 PM
They kinda deserve what they get. They keep voting for the same type of leadership.

Green Arrow
04-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Nothing good, unfortunately. I pray for them daily, but other than that there's nothing I can do.

Matty
04-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Nothing good, unfortunately. I pray for them daily, but other than that there's nothing I can do.

Don't fret sweetie because even if you're dead you still get healthcare in Illinois.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/t/story/apnewsbreak-medicaid-paid-12m-illinois-dead-23388577?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Perianne
04-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Don't fret sweetie because even if you're dead you still get healthcare in Illinois.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/t/story/apnewsbreak-medicaid-paid-12m-illinois-dead-23388577?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

And you can vote!

bladimz
04-22-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm glad i don't live in Chicago. Especially if i had to live in the inner city. I'm lucky. I don't have to worry about that. I wasn't raised in an inner-city environment by parents who were born, raised and lived their entire lives in the inner-city; because their parents spent their entire lives in the same environment because they had not the opportunity nor the where-with-all to find a decent job, move out and get a fresh start.

I'm fortunate. I at least had enough money to buy some bootstraps.

zelmo1234
04-22-2014, 04:20 PM

And you can still vote for decades

zelmo1234
04-22-2014, 04:21 PM
And you can vote!

You beat me to it!!!!

Perianne
04-22-2014, 04:23 PM
And you can still vote for decades

It's their ghost that vote. That is why some people are referred to as "spooks". :)

bladimz
04-22-2014, 04:26 PM
These dead voters.... are they conservatives or progressives?

Perianne
04-22-2014, 04:27 PM
These dead voters.... are they conservatives or progressives?

They are Democrats.

bladimz
04-22-2014, 05:01 PM
They are Democrats.Maybe their votes equal out the votes that are lost due to republican gerrymandering across the country.

Peter1469
04-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Maybe their votes equal out the votes that are lost due to republican gerrymandering across the country.

Whichever party is in power at any particular time gerrymanders.

patrickt
04-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Maybe their votes equal out the votes that are lost due to republican gerrymandering across the country.

You don't think Democrat gerrymandering offsets Republican gerrymandering? Trying to deflect, disavow, or ignore Democrat fraud is a hopeless task. It's like Hercules cleaning the Aegean stables. The Democrats shit faster than anyone can clean.

Refugee
04-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Maybe Obama will write this city off as he did Detroit? The police will now tighten up as they have to be seen to be doing something. There will follow protests that's it's becoming a police state, maybe a riot or two? Give people the freedom to do what they want, destroy all previous values and norms which held it together and what you get is this. You're shocked, the progressives aren't.

bladimz
04-22-2014, 05:53 PM
You don't think Democrat gerrymandering offsets Republican gerrymandering? Trying to deflect, disavow, or ignore Democrat fraud is a hopeless task. It's like Hercules cleaning the Aegean stables. The Democrats shit faster than anyone can clean.Well, considering that it was the GOP that took the loss in the last two presidential elections, it would be my guess (just a guess, mind you) that it'd be the republicans who'd be more pressured to involve themselves in redistricting, not the dems. Know what i mean?

Peter1469
04-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Well, considering that it was the GOP that took the loss in the last two presidential elections, it would be my guess (just a guess, mind you) that it'd be the republicans who'd be more pressured to involve themselves in redistricting, not the dems. Know what i mean?

You have to control the state government to redistrict. The GOP did it in Florida to get Alan West out of office.

bladimz
04-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Maybe Obama will write this city off as he did Detroit? The police will now tighten up as they have to be seen to be doing something. There will follow protests that's it's becoming a police state, maybe a riot or two? Give people the freedom to do what they want, destroy all previous values and norms which held it together and what you get is this. You're shocked, the progressives aren't.And if Obama had decided to bail Detroit out, what would you have said? Since you brought him into the conversation, perhaps you'd like to tell us what you think the POTUS should do concerning Chicago? Funny, i'd think that you'd not want him to weigh in on Chicago's problems. That's the state's issue.

Mainecoons
04-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Obama bailing out Chicago would be about as successful as Obama bailing out Solyndra.

:rofl:

Refugee
04-22-2014, 06:21 PM
A perspective from a left wing UK tabloid, ‘The Guardian’. Even with the political correctness we have we get it. Put a liberal in charge; promote diversity and differences and eventually all hell breaks loose.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/19/chicago-deadly-shooting-guns-rahm-emanuel-2014 (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/19/chicago-deadly-shooting-guns-rahm-emanuel-2014)

Mainecoons
04-22-2014, 06:52 PM
You have to be pretty stupid to believe that giving more money to any government in America would actually improve anything.

bladimz
04-22-2014, 06:53 PM
You have to control the state government to redistrict. The GOP did it in Florida to get Alan West out of office.Very true. It can be very effective and a very crappy part of the electoral process.

Cigar
04-22-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm going to a Concert at Depaul University on Saturday ... I'll ask around and let them know Mister D is concerned :grin:

Green Arrow
04-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Well, considering that it was the GOP that took the loss in the last two presidential elections, it would be my guess (just a guess, mind you) that it'd be the republicans who'd be more pressured to involve themselves in redistricting, not the dems. Know what i mean?

Both parties gerrymander. California is a Democrat stronghold for the same reason Texas is a Republican stronghold: gerrymandering.

All gerrymandering affects is state races and Congressional races. Presidential races are not affected.

Mister D
04-22-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm going to a Concert at Depaul University on Saturday ... I'll ask around and let them know Mister D is concerned :grin:

I own this guy! :laugh:

Cigar
04-22-2014, 07:36 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/32263257.jpg

Refugee
04-22-2014, 07:50 PM
And if Obama had decided to bail Detroit out, what would you have said? Since you brought him into the conversation, perhaps you'd like to tell us what you think the POTUS should do concerning Chicago? Funny, i'd think that you'd not want him to weigh in on Chicago's problems. That's the state's issue.

I'd have said he was pretty stupid if he got involved, which is why he probably didn't.
You wait till they vote the democrats out and then blame the mess on whoever come next. It's the liberal way of doing things. :smiley:

Ransom
04-22-2014, 07:57 PM
And if Obama had decided to bail Detroit out, what would you have said? Since you brought him into the conversation, perhaps you'd like to tell us what you think the POTUS should do concerning Chicago? Funny, i'd think that you'd not want him to weigh in on Chicago's problems. That's the state's issue.

It's too bad, huh Blad? That you never asked candidate and Senator Obama what he should do about Chicago, never mind holding him to account for the realities there....since we are talkin about him and what not.

Cigar
04-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Doesn't the Obama's live in DC and Chicago has it's own Mayor?

I mean ... if Obama paid more attention to Chicago wouldn't that be unfair to the other Cities.

I'm sure Fox would have an issue with that. :grin:

exotix
04-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Its a shame really. Chicago is a very pretty city and does have a lot to offer. Its much cleaner than New York. It also has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country.
I'm not sure I understand ... when murderers assume their 2nd Amendment Rights ... how does the thin-air of a gun law save you ?

zelmo1234
04-22-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure I understand ... when murderers assume their 2nd Amendment Rights ... how does the thin-air of a gun law save you ?

Of course Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country? So it is only logical that there murder and shooting rates are so high!

The criminals have an entire city that is a gun free zone! They have nothing to fear!

Matty
04-22-2014, 08:14 PM
So why are democrats so hell bent on passing gun laws?

exotix
04-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Of course Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country? So it is only logical that there murder and shooting rates are so high!

The criminals have an entire city that is a gun free zone! They have nothing to fear!
I was merely wondering how guns laws save you from an AR-15 round designed specifically to vaporize body-parts that's all.

zelmo1234
04-22-2014, 08:19 PM

Well they don't want anyone shooting back at the criminals? Those fine upstanding citizens have civil rights you know.

And they sure as hell are not going to attack a group of thugs shooting up Chicago, when there is a terrorist letting his cattle eat some grass on public lands out west!

They have bigger fish to fry. I hear that they are sending a battalion to a serial J walker in TX next week

Matty
04-22-2014, 08:26 PM
I was merely wondering how guns laws save you from an AR-15 round designed specifically to vaporize body-parts that's all.
Oh! Finally you see the light. Progress has been made!

Dr. Who
04-22-2014, 09:57 PM
It's too bad, huh Blad? That you never asked candidate and Senator Obama what he should do about Chicago, never mind holding him to account for the realities there....since we are talkin about him and what not.

Obama was only a Senator for 3 years and 8 months, so the conditions in Illinois can't really be attributed to him, never mind municipal influence.

momsapplepie
04-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Obama bailing out Chicago would be about as successful as Obama bailing out Solyndra.

:rofl:
Obam Bail out Chicago? How about he just pays them the money he owes them for his inaugural party? That would be a start.

momsapplepie
04-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Obama was only a Senator for 3 years and 8 months, so the conditions in Illinois can't really be attributed to him, never mind municipal influence.

True. He didn't do much as a senator for Illinois or the US. He voted to kill born alive infants and he voted no on Iraq. The rest of the time he voted present, was off campaigning, or was facilitating corrupt land deals to slum lords.

Refugee
04-22-2014, 10:42 PM

There has never been an armed police State together with an armed population. Banning firearms is one of the first things the UK did.

Refugee
04-22-2014, 11:12 PM

It’s the dumbing down period before progressivism. You make places so inhabitable, so violent and the economy such a mess, that eventually a savior comes along and together with a police State, they repair the damage. You’re ever so grateful; the police State becomes a secondary issue and everyone votes for more of it.

First a few problems; gun laws, increased welfare dependency, gang warfare, sub-culture groups, the dumbing down of education . . . pretending all is well and promoting it is where the liberals come into it and standing on the sidelines urging them on are the elite politicians, the bankers and Big Business.

Simply an opinion mind you, but from European experience keep your eye on the gun laws, chopped away bit by bit, laws prohibiting demonstrations unless approved and offence laws that limit free speech. If the U.S. is playing by the European script, that’s on its way. :smiley:

Peter1469
04-23-2014, 04:41 AM
I own this guy! :laugh:

Warning: ease up. Mister D has been banned from this thread.

Cigar
04-23-2014, 07:01 AM
You have to be pretty stupid to believe that giving more money to any government in America would actually improve anything.

Can you name one time in your life Wealth grew faster than it has under any other Government Administration?

zelmo1234
04-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Can you name one time in your life Wealth grew faster than it has under any other Government Administration?

Wealth has not grown under the Obama Administration ?

It has been a transfer between the classes, this is what the left has been bitching about for the last 5 years

In order for wealth to grow, you have to support private investment with the correct tax and regulation policies. and you and I both know that is not happening under President Obama

Cigar
04-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Wealth has not grown under the Obama Administration ?

It has been a transfer between the classes, this is what the left has been bitching about for the last 5 years

In order for wealth to grow, you have to support private investment with the correct tax and regulation policies. and you and I both know that is not happening under President Obama

The Left has been Bitching about War on The Middle Class and The Right has denied it ... as if there's been no change :rollseyes:

Talk about in Denial :laugh:

zelmo1234
04-23-2014, 07:23 AM
No you have that wrong too! the left is saying that the 1% are not doing there fair share! And they want more of there money to keep the poor and middle class on the plantation!

The conservatives would like to create taxation, regulation, and energy policy that creates jobs and thus the middle class can start to rebuild their wealth that the Democrats have stolen from them over the past 5 years.

The job creation is not going to happen until there is more chance for reward than the risk of expanding new business.

Cigar
04-23-2014, 07:27 AM
No you have that wrong too! the left is saying that the 1% are not doing there fair share! And they want more of there money to keep the poor and middle class on the plantation!

The conservatives would like to create taxation, regulation, and energy policy that creates jobs and thus the middle class can start to rebuild their wealth that the Democrats have stolen from them over the past 5 years.

The job creation is not going to happen until there is more chance for reward than the risk of expanding new business.

Hey ... Einstein ... The 1% get 90% of what they want in Washington.

But when 80% of North America Polled wanted Simple Commonsense Gun Laws ... guess what percent shot it down?

Even The Chamber of Commerce is beginning to see the light.

zelmo1234
04-23-2014, 07:47 AM

But when 80% of North America Polled wanted Simple Commonsense Gun Laws ... guess what percent shot it down?

Well this post is about the gun violence with the strongest "Common Sense" gun laws in the country?

How is that working out for Chicago?

and the 1% have been buying on the fire sale created by the policies of the Obama administration! This is the transfer of wealth and why the middle class has lost 40% of their wealth under his rule!

You say you are investing in rental's? Why? because you can buy them cheap, and because the lower middle class can buy homes you can charge higher rents. (that transfers wealth)

You have taxation and regulation policies that are keeping unemployment rates at record heights for longer than past recessions! This means if you are hiring a new worker, you can pay them less, That transfers wealth!

You have the government pumping billions every month into the market! this means I don't have to risk creating a new company but can invest in the market and make a killing. This transfers wealth!

This is not rocket science.

The only thing that is baffling to all of use that run businesses is that the left really believe that we are going to invest into the economy, when there is very little reward for the risk involved

Business is not a charitable operation. So liberal policies never work

bladimz
04-23-2014, 01:33 PM
It's too bad, huh Blad? That you never asked candidate and Senator Obama what he should do about Chicago, never mind holding him to account for the realities there....since we are talkin about him and what not.I suppose it's a shame. Maybe i would have had i had concerns about Chicago's issues. If i cared, you know? At the same time, i guess i should have talked to Florida's democratic senator about Miami's problems. Or how about a conversation with Mitt about my worries concerning Cambridge?

No. See, i have to give a shit about a place before i start grilling any elected official.

bladimz
04-23-2014, 01:37 PM
I'd have said he was pretty stupid if he got involved, which is why he probably didn't.
You wait till they vote the democrats out and then blame the mess on whoever come next. It's the liberal way of doing things. :smiley:Why would i blame Chicago's problems on anyone in the White House, republican or democrat, man or woman, black or white?

bladimz
04-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Well this post is about the gun violence with the strongest "Common Sense" gun laws in the country?

How is that working out for Chicago?

and the 1% have been buying on the fire sale created by the policies of the Obama administration! This is the transfer of wealth and why the middle class has lost 40% of their wealth under his rule!

You say you are investing in rental's? Why? because you can buy them cheap, and because the lower middle class can buy homes you can charge higher rents. (that transfers wealth)

You have taxation and regulation policies that are keeping unemployment rates at record heights for longer than past recessions! This means if you are hiring a new worker, you can pay them less, That transfers wealth!

You have the government pumping billions every month into the market! this means I don't have to risk creating a new company but can invest in the market and make a killing. This transfers wealth!

This is not rocket science.

The only thing that is baffling to all of use that run businesses is that the left really believe that we are going to invest into the economy, when there is very little reward for the risk involved

Business is not a charitable operation. So liberal policies never workThe Left should never have fallen for the GOP's "trickle-down" BS. Ronald Reagan is probably still laughing his ass off.

bladimz
04-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Both parties gerrymander. California is a Democrat stronghold for the same reason Texas is a Republican stronghold: gerrymandering.

All gerrymandering affects is state races and Congressional races. Presidential races are not affected.I happen to believe that state and congressional elections have an affect on presidential races. I don't know why anyone wouldn't.

BB-35
04-23-2014, 04:01 PM

80% did NOT say they wanted that

Besides 'common sense' is too abiguous a term when applied to firearms to trust you libs with applying it.

Ransom
04-23-2014, 04:05 PM
I suppose it's a shame. Maybe i would have had i had concerns about Chicago's issues. If i cared, you know? At the same time, i guess i should have talked to Florida's democratic senator about Miami's problems. Or how about a conversation with Mitt about my worries concerning Cambridge?

No. See, i have to give a shit about a place before i start grilling any elected official.

As you voted for the clown for President.....I would have assumed his record in Chicago politics would have been relevant.....oh that's right...you didn't know anything about him or his record when you voted for him......did you?

Green Arrow
04-24-2014, 12:59 AM
I happen to believe that state and congressional elections have an affect on presidential races. I don't know why anyone wouldn't.

If the tide is in favor of one party or another, then it could be said to affect the presidential race, but the practice of gerrymandering does not affect presidential races like it does Congressional races. States aren't getting rid of voters, they are just drawing districts in such a way that gives the reigning party more power in Congress. Since presidential votes are counted as states rather than districts, none of that redrawing affects the presidential race. The only way it would is if a state apportioned its electoral votes by Congressional district, rather than winner-takes-all. The vast majority of states are winner-take-all.

Green Arrow
04-24-2014, 01:03 AM

No, and that's unfortunate. The Obama administration has done little of substance to end poverty and the rich continue to get richer while the poor continue to get poorer. The wealth gap is bigger under Obama than under previous Presidents.

He's not your progressive hero, Cigar. He's a rich white guy in a black guy's skin.

Refugee
04-24-2014, 01:34 AM
Why would i blame Chicago's problems on anyone in the White House, republican or democrat, man or woman, black or white?

Obama is the President of the U.S. What happens in the U.S. in his term of office is his responsibility. The buck stops here?

Green Arrow
04-24-2014, 02:09 AM
Obama is the President of the U.S. What happens in the U.S. in his term of office is his responsibility. The buck stops here?

Actually, no. The President has no authority to intervene in the affairs of cities or states. All he can do is talk to the leaders of those cities/states and try to get Congress' help. But if Congress doesn't put a bill on his desk, he can't do anything.

Akula
04-24-2014, 02:18 AM
I suppose it's a shame. Maybe i would have had i had concerns about Chicago's issues. If i cared, you know? At the same time, i guess i should have talked to Florida's democratic senator about Miami's problems. Or how about a conversation with Mitt about my worries concerning Cambridge?

Crime is bad for society as a whole wherever it occurs.
How could you not care?

Green Arrow
04-24-2014, 02:32 AM
Crime is bad for society as a whole wherever it occurs.
How could you not care?

Because crime doesn't really affect anyone outside the community it takes place in. Why should someone living in Bakersfield, CA care about a murder or robbery in Memphis, TN? They shouldn't.

Everybody should focus on improving their own communities before they meddle in someone else's.

Akula
04-24-2014, 02:40 AM
Because crime doesn't really affect anyone outside the community it takes place in. Why should someone living in Bakersfield, CA care about a murder or robbery in Memphis, TN? They shouldn't.

Everybody should focus on improving their own communities before they meddle in someone else's.

I'm not advocating meddling anywhere.
I made a statement that crime degrades society. I believe it does, anyway.
Most people want society to improve, not devolve.

Green Arrow
04-24-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm not advocating meddling anywhere.
I made a statement that crime degrades society. I believe it does, anyway.
Most people want society to improve, not devolve.

It would depend on what you mean by "society." To me, "society" is the city of Chattanooga, Tennessee. To others, like Ravi, "society" is the entire U.S.

patrickt
04-24-2014, 03:47 AM
When I hear of a young person killed in Chicago I care. I think of the family grieving. I'm sorry but I can't shrug and say, "Well, it's not my town...yet." I have a son living in one state and a daughter living in another. I have family and friends in a lot of states. It's back to the "vote your own self-interest" and to hell with everyone else for some.

As for President Obama not being able to do anything until he gets a bill on his desk, what happen to the swagger and "I've got a pen." He can unilaterally do as he pleases as long as it's in his best interest.

Chicago. The city of broad shoulders. The city that works. Sadly, it's a corrupt city in arguably the most corrupt state ruled, and ruled is the right word, by liberals.

Green Arrow
04-24-2014, 04:13 AM
When I hear of a young person killed in Chicago I care. I think of the family grieving. I'm sorry but I can't shrug and say, "Well, it's not my town...yet." I have a son living in one state and a daughter living in another. I have family and friends in a lot of states. It's back to the "vote your own self-interest" and to hell with everyone else for some.

If you have people living in other states, you have reasons to concern yourself with those states. My wife lives in Louisiana, so I have to care about Louisiana politics until 2016. Much of my family and childhood friends still live in California, so I (unfortunately) still have to care about that cesspool.

I don't know anyone in Chicago and I don't live there, so why waste my time caring? Nothing I ever say or do will affect Chicago or Chicagoans one iota.

As for President Obama not being able to do anything until he gets a bill on his desk, what happen to the swagger and "I've got a pen." He can unilaterally do as he pleases as long as it's in his best interest.

Not if you believe in federalism and the constitution, he can't.

Refugee
04-24-2014, 04:26 AM
Actually, no. The President has no authority to intervene in the affairs of cities or states. All he can do is talk to the leaders of those cities/states and try to get Congress' help. But if Congress doesn't put a bill on his desk, he can't do anything.

So and I'm genuinely puzzled, what is the point of him being President? He can force Obamacare on you all, but he can't intervene in different States on domestic matters? So let's say America invades somewhere; he has to go to each State to ask and those that don't want to, don't go?

spunkloaf
04-24-2014, 04:27 AM

I just have to jump in here and say I disagree. The president has certain limited powers, and is not responsible for everything that happens on US soil.

On a side note, it did bring up a funny joke I'm fond of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkQxHlr2fXM

Peter1469
04-24-2014, 05:06 AM

He has the power of the pulpit and with Obama especially the MSM in his back pocket.

Peter1469
04-24-2014, 05:08 AM
The president is the commander in chef of the armed forces. That states have zero say on whether the federal government wages war. (Prior to the 17th Amendment they did have say- 2 senators in the Senate).

So and I'm genuinely puzzled, what is the point of him being President? He can force Obamacare on you all, but he can't intervene in different States on domestic matters? So let's say America invades somewhere; he has to go to each State to ask and those that don't want to, don't go?

Green Arrow
04-24-2014, 05:41 AM

Thing is, technically, he isn't forcing Obamacare on us. Congress is. Obama's executive agencies implement the law, but Congress passed it and Congress ultimately decides its fate.

As for the military, the President is Commander-in-Chief of the United States military. Constitutionally, he has to get authorization from Congress before he can use military force, but both Presidents Bush Jr. and Obama have pretty much eroded that.

Green Arrow
04-24-2014, 05:43 AM
He has the power of the pulpit and with Obama especially the MSM in his back pocket.

True, but I'm referring to more tangible actions. He can campaign and whip up support, but otherwise he has to wait on Congress to do pretty much everything. Though, lately, they've been giving him a pretty slack leash.

Peter1469
04-24-2014, 05:54 AM
True, but I'm referring to more tangible actions. He can campaign and whip up support, but otherwise he has to wait on Congress to do pretty much everything. Though, lately, they've been giving him a pretty slack leash.

Agreed.

Refugee
04-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Thing is, technically, he isn't forcing Obamacare on us. Congress is. Obama's executive agencies implement the law, but Congress passed it and Congress ultimately decides its fate.

As for the military, the President is Commander-in-Chief of the United States military. Constitutionally, he has to get authorization from Congress before he can use military force, but both Presidents Bush Jr. and Obama have pretty much eroded that.

It’s about the same in the UK, the Prime Minister can’t do what he wants, but is the leader of those who can and do. So our Prime Minister would put a law before our Parliament, (your congress) and they have a vote.

Being the majority representation it would pass and therefore become a law of that particular party under that particular administration. In other words, it’s always going to be Obamacare and never Democratcare, if you see what I mean? Is that about right?

Green Arrow
04-24-2014, 07:34 AM
It’s about the same in the UK, the Prime Minister can’t do what he wants, but is the leader of those who can and do. So our Prime Minister would put a law before our Parliament, (your congress) and they have a vote.

Being the majority representation it would pass and therefore become a law of that particular party under that particular administration. In other words, it’s always going to be Obamacare and never Democratcare, if you see what I mean? Is that about right?

Well, America isn't a parliamentary democracy like the UK, so the President isn't always in power with a Congress on his side. President Bush, for example, had a Democrat supermajority for his last years in office.

Obamacare has been attempted by both parties. It has its origins in the Heritage Foundation, a conservative arm of the GOP. Republicans never really backed it in force until Mitt Romney (Republican) got it passed in Massachusetts when he was governor, and then the Democrats picked it up in 2009 and got it passed.