PDA

View Full Version : UK tries ban on super-cheap liquor

ramone
03-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Have the Brits let their gov take them completely down the road of communism? They gave up their guns freely, now their cheap liquor? There must not be a shred of Capitalism left there.

After years of growing concern about heavy drinking and its attendant social problems, the British government moved Friday toward enforcing minimum alcohol prices.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/uk-moves-to-curb-excessive-drinking-with-ban-on-super-cheap-liquor/article2379175/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Home&utm_content=2379175

Conley
03-23-2012, 06:36 PM
No guns, no booze, how is anyone supposed to have fun?

Conley
03-23-2012, 06:38 PM
“When beer is cheaper than water, it’s just too easy for people to get drunk on cheap alcohol at home before they even set foot in the pub,” Mr. Cameron said in a statement. “So we are going to introduce a new minimum unit price – so for the first time it will be illegal for shops to sell alcohol for less than this set price per unit.”

This is because bottled water is way overpriced!

Stoney
03-23-2012, 07:16 PM
The Affordable Care Act will probably do the same here. Cheap booze could cause more medical problems.

MMC
03-23-2012, 07:20 PM
No guns, no booze, how is anyone supposed to have fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k80UQWWUIYs

Fun? Liberalism will lead to nothing but functionality. :wink: :laugh:

Conley
03-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Ha, I saw that movie.

Alcohol definitely leads to increases in health-care costs. Then again, so does being overweight and many other things...it's a slippery slope and having the government decide which unhealthy practices to legislate and which to leave alone isn't a decision I'm comfortable with.

ramone
03-23-2012, 07:34 PM
H Then again, so does being overweight and many other things...

You mean like liberalism, etc., etc.

Mainecoons
03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I haven't found any beer in the U.K. that is cheaper than water. Dammit!

Mister D
03-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I'll drink Boddington's Ale when I'm in the mood for it but in general I don't like British beer.

ramone
03-25-2012, 09:13 AM
I'll drink Boddington's Ale when I'm in the mood for it but in general I don't like British beer.

I spent three and a half years there and it is an acquired taste, I like bitter and Guinness. When I was tdy in Germany I drank Kölsch mostly but all the little towns have their own special brew it seems.

Conley
03-25-2012, 09:14 AM
I like Guinness..when I traveled in Germany, Spaten-Optimator was a favorite of mine.

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/99.jpg

ramone
03-25-2012, 09:17 AM
I can still get Warsteiner at the liquor store here. I like it too, full bodied and good stuff. Not much higher than a decent US beer either.

Conley
03-25-2012, 09:23 AM
That is good stuff. I don't drink foreign been much at all any more...good American beers seem easier to find now.

Mister D
03-25-2012, 09:28 AM
I like Guinness..when I traveled in Germany, Spaten-Optimator was a favorite of mine.

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/99.jpg

They have Spaten Lager on tap nearby. It's pretty good. An excellent happy hour choice. Of course Coors Light is my usual...:embarrassed:

ramone
03-25-2012, 09:33 AM
That is good stuff. I don't drink foreign been much at all any more...good American beers seem easier to find now.

Yeah but I have to go to the liquor store here to buy anything worth buying, I do like Sam Adams Boston Lager even though it comes from yankee land and Blue Moon too.

Captain Obvious
03-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I made the mistake of trying a new cheap beer. "Steel" or something like that, I didn't notice until I got it back to the apartment, it states "high gravity". I immediately realized - malt liquor.

Fucking carbonated vodka. Now I'm trying to find some alcoholic that will take it off my hands.

ramone
03-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Now I'm trying to find some alcoholic that will take it off my hands.

Take it to W. Lake St. in Chicago. Might not be worth the effort though. 1 in 4 chances you will be a victim there. :)

Mister D
03-25-2012, 10:02 AM
I made the mistake of trying a new cheap beer. "Steel" or something like that, I didn't notice until I got it back to the apartment, it states "high gravity". I immediately realized - malt liquor.

Fucking carbonated vodka. Now I'm trying to find some alcoholic that will take it off my hands.

Not Steel Reserve, right? It's a silver can? Kind of looks like Sapparo (sp?).

Peter1469
03-25-2012, 10:53 AM

Boddingtons is good. My Irish Pub used to serve it but switched it out with an Irish cream ale- Killkenney's. Tastes pretty much the same.

Mister D
03-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Boddingtons is good. My Irish Pub used to serve it but switched it out with an Irish cream ale- Killkenney's. Tastes pretty much the same.

I'm not sure if I've veer seen that. I have an Irish pub within walking distance that is actually called Kilkenny House. :grin: Maybe they have it.

Mister D
03-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Conley got me in the mood for German lagers now.