PDA

View Full Version : America's Decline And Fall In 13 Steps

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 07:46 AM
This really sums it up well although as usual our "in love with failure" progressive cadre here will completely miss the point.

My favorite is #4 which really sums up the "worst couple" and their government in a nutshell.

“too much of our human capital is diverted into at the low level, low-skill service jobs, and at the high level into things like the president and first lady did until 20 minutes before they became president and first lady – you know the first lady was a diversi-crat, and the president was a community organizer. That’s even more pointless than doing the nightshift at the Quicky-Mart. It’s even less connected to the creation of wealth. And then at the middle you’ve got people who do these sort of jobs with the Department of Paperwork all day long. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a lawyer insuring that something is compliant with the federal regulations, or whether you’re one of those people who says, ‘Well you send me a W-2, and I’ll send you a 1099 and we’ll all pretend that this is some kind of valuable economic activity.’”

And from #8:

But yet at the same time there’s subsidized housing and there’s subsidized this and that…so people can live their lives without having to bear the burdens of their grandparents and great-grandparents, but it’s not a life of dignity. And that’s why I always say the great evil of welfare is not that it wastes money, which it certainly does, but it’s greatest evil is that it wastes people. And that’s absolutely terrible.”

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2014/04/23/americas-decline-and-fall-in-13-quotes-from-our-interview-with-mark-steyn/

Captain Obvious
04-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Mark Steyn has very little objectivity.

I'm not debating his points, I'm just suggesting that it's not a complete work because it's one-sided.

Ravi
04-24-2014, 07:57 AM
He thinks Quicky Mart employees are worthless humans. Cool.

Max Rockatansky
04-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Good article!

In #2, I would have written "then by the fifth generation they've become spoiled rich kids thinking the world owes them everything".

Captain Obvious
04-24-2014, 07:59 AM

He fills in for Rush when Rush is in rehab... er, on vacation.

He just says the same thing over and over again, repeats himself. All the typical stereotype RW rhetoric stuff, occasionally adds something insightful but for the most part just a rhetoric recycler.

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 07:59 AM

No genius, he thinks that diversi-crats and community organizers are.

:rofl:

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 08:00 AM

I'm not debating his points, I'm just suggesting that it's not a complete work because it's one-sided.

It's an Op Ed. Can you debate any of the 13 points or is all you have an ad hom?

Start with #1. Do you disagree that history is cyclical?

How about the part about the U.S. increasingly resembling the Soviet Union before the fall? That has been noted and discussed here often.

Ravi
04-24-2014, 08:04 AM

:rofl:
He thinks all three are. Did you even read the article?

I am perfectly fine with a RWNJ stating that Quicky Mart employees are worthless. I don't agree with him, but hey, why should the guy hide what he believes.

Captain Obvious
04-24-2014, 08:05 AM
It's an Op Ed. Can you debate any of the 13 points or is all you have an ad hom?

Start with #1. Do you disagree that history is cyclical?

How about the part about the U.S. increasingly resembling the Soviet Union before the fall? That has been noted and discussed here often.

Who's ad hom'ing? Don't be so sensitive, all I'm pointing out is that, while these are good points it's an incomplete work because of Steyn's lack of objectivity.

Ravi
04-24-2014, 08:05 AM
He fills in for Rush when Rush is in rehab... er, on vacation.

He just says the same thing over and over again, repeats himself. All the typical stereotype RW rhetoric stuff, occasionally adds something insightful but for the most part just a rhetoric recycler.Ah, that explains it.

Captain Obvious
04-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Ah, that explains it.

Yeah, basically.

Pre-scripted opinions.

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Please quote where Steyn used the word "worthless" genius.

Or just admit you are rewriting things to fit your own biases again.

Amazing you two great thinkers have to be told that something is an op ed.

But not amazing that neither of you can address any of the points he made.

Max Rockatansky
04-24-2014, 08:10 AM

:rofl:I have no idea what a "diversi-crat" is, but the entire article is humorously sarcastic. Not to be taken seriously since it's not factual.

Example, the paragraph under discussion: "too much of our human capital is diverted into at the low level, low-skill service jobs, and at the high level into things like the president and first lady did until 20 minutes before they became president and first lady – you know the first lady was a diversi-crat, and the president was a community organizer. That’s even more pointless than doing the nightshift at the Quicky-Mart."

"Diversi-crat" is a fictious title, the President was a Senator before becoming President. He hadn't been a community organizer since 1992 when he was a law student. While the Quicky-Mart line is funny, anyone who's needed gas, milk or bread very late at night or very early in the morning knows it's not a "pointless" job, just a minimum wage job.

On the point about community organizer; the right wingers often make a big deal about that. What's the difference between a community organizer and a local Tea Party leader? Nothing in terms of duties. Both seek to rally local community members into a grass roots group for their own interests.

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 08:14 AM
I'm glad you figured out it is an op ed, that's progress.

Last time I looked, there are no TP organizers in the White House or headed there. Also, I think you will find most TP organizers have real day jobs.

I don't recall the use of the word "pointless" in the piece either. Maybe you should read what was said and not rewrite it although I'm sure Ravi will be happy to lend her considerable talents in that department to helping you do so.

Question: Would you put a Quicky Market clerk in the White House?

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Last time I looked, there are no TP organizers in the White House or headed there. Also, I think you will find most TP organizers have real day jobs.

I don't recall the use of the word "pointless" in the piece either. Maybe you should read what was said and not rewrite it although I'm sure Ravi will be happy to lend her considerable talents in that department to helping you do so.

"That’s even more pointless than doing the nightshift at the Quicky-Mart."

Libhater

Mark Steyn is totally objective and totally correct with his take on the issues facing our nation.

Ravi

Question: Would you put a Quicky Market clerk in the White House?Pointless was in the article. Referring to Quicky Mart employees. Pointless = worthless. You're welcome. Your article was worthless.

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Mark Steyn is totally objective with his take on the issues facing our nation.

...and so are you, Libhater.

Libhater
04-24-2014, 08:21 AM
...and so are you, Libhater.

Thank you for stating the obvious.

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Pointless was in the article. Referring to Quicky Mart employees. Pointless = worthless. You're welcome. Your article was worthless.

Your non response is worthless as usual. This clearly hits too close to home for a brain dead progressive like yourself. Have a nice day.

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 08:24 AM
“[america] was founded on certain ideas about liberty, and small government and self-reliant citizens, and so if it is no longer a self-governing republic of limited government by self-reliant citizens, that it’s actually – a majority of people are actually comfortable with european-sized welfare states, and dependency, and all the rest of it – if at that point america still has any more purpose than the soviet union did after it ceased being communist. And i think that’s an interesting question. The soviet union broke up, and yugoslavia broke up and…big countries are not the norm, and a big country that checks out of its founding principles…there’s no reason why it should expect to maintain the same real estate in perpetuity.”

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 08:40 AM
“again, it’s [climate change] an elite accessory that will destroy millions of lives. And we should be free to talk about it. And again…i’ve got no problem…most people who are opposed to gay marriage don’t object to you or anyone else arguing in favor of it, but increasingly people who are in favor of gay marriage don’t even want to hear about opposing arguments. and i don’t like official ideology. I don’t like it whether it’s fascism or communism, or whether it’s marriage equality or climate change. I don’t want to be told this is the official ideology and you can’t deviate from it, because it’s despotic and it’s totalitarian.

i’m not making crazy comparisons here: I know the difference between hitler and stalin, and james cameron and barbara streisand. I can tell the difference between barbara streisand and hitler at two hundred yards, but it is totalitarian and despotic when you start saying, the other side cannot make its case.”

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 08:42 AM
I can tell the difference between barbara streisand and hitler at two hundred yards, but it is totalitarian and despotic when you start saying, the other side cannot make its case.”

...and yet all they do is make their case. Do you see anyone stopping him, or you or anyone????

Akula
04-24-2014, 09:17 AM
It's an Op Ed. Can you debate any.....
Seriously?

You ask HIM that?...I think we know the answer to whether or not capt obv can debate..... anything.

If you want crude, juvenile "humor", cursing, vulgarity, insults, name calling, irrelevant cartoons and pictures with stupid captions added to them, he's your go to guy.

That pretty much covers his wide range of "debating" skills.

Max Rockatansky
04-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Question: Would you put a Quicky Market clerk in the White House?Obviously it's an op-ed. There are many types of op-eds such as serious, factual, humorous, sarcastic, etc. How would you categorize this one?

Correct, but it's not for a lack of trying. Palin, Ryan, Perry, Cruz, Rubio and Walker, just to name a few, have either run or will make a play in 2016. As for "real job", when Obama was a community organizer he was also a law student. When he graduated he went on to a "real job". If you local TP leaders were elected to office, do you think they'd quick their "real jobs"?

You might want to reread your own link. I even quoted the pertinent part for you as you did in the OP. The word "pointless was, indeed, used as in "you know the first lady was a diversi-crat, and the president was a community organizer. That’s even more pointless than doing the nightshift at the Quicky-Mart. "

No, I wouldn't. OTOH, unlike you, the fact someone worked at a gas station, a Walmart or a Quicky-Mart in college wouldn't stop me voting for them 20 years later given they were the best candidate for the job.

The Xl
04-24-2014, 12:37 PM

A Quicky Market clerk would probably do a better job than the recent assholes that occupied the White House. Probably smarter, too.

Max Rockatansky
04-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Pointless was in the article. Referring to Quicky Mart employees. Pointless = worthless. You're welcome. Your article was worthless.The article, although sarcastic and a bit over the top, does make many fine points such as #1, History is cyclical. Whether or not you agree with his portrayal of it is a point of debate. #2, was an interesting perspective to me and I agree with 4/5's of it as noted in a previous post. #3 is also interesting. It's Westerncentric and full of fear, but it does note that times change. They always have. Either we change with them or we end up on the dust heap of history like the British Empire and the Soviet Union.

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 03:44 PM
A Quicky Market clerk would probably do a better job than the recent assholes that occupied the White House. Probably smarter, too.

Hard to disagree with you here. :rofl:

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 03:45 PM
...and yet all they do is make their case. Do you see anyone stopping him, or you or anyone????

I see you and a lot of liberals in the government and academia doing just that. The flimsier your scientific case gets, the more you try and shut off debate.

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/heating-up-climate-change-advocates-try-to-silence-krauthammer/question-4203647/

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2014-03-23/anti-science-those-who-wish-debate-climate-threatened-death-or-jail

Not that I think you will read any of that. Several of you are very well described in this quote from the first reference:

Maybe this reflects a broader trend in which people want to wall themselves off from contrary information — and wall off others as well. Debating a complicated subject like climate change — and, equally important, what to do about it — is difficult. Attempting to silence the other side is the easy way out.

It sure beats the tough job of examining your beliefs against reality and results and admitting when you're wrong.