PDA

View Full Version : Dark Comedy: Meet My Raspist

Peter1469
04-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Jessie Kahnweiler is an artist and filmmaker whose short film, “Meet My Rapist,” debuted at the 2014 Slamdance Film Festival.

Now she writes an article: I Made a Film About My Rape and Now I Can't Get Laid. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jessie-kahnweiler/i-made-a-film-about-my-rape-cant-get-laid_b_5162916.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=1771094b=facebook)

Last summer, I made a short film called "Meet My Rapist," (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bAAPkqn8Q0) a dark comedy about running into my rapist at the farmers market. The film was inspired by my frustration at not being able to "get over" my own rape, no matter how much therapy I went through. The movie helped me confront the effect my rape had on my identity, relationships and sexuality.

I was overwhelmed with the film's reception, particularly from other sexual abuse survivors. Opening the floodgates to my own trauma also let in some of the most surreal moments of my life: like the father of three from Seattle who sent me his gratitude for making the film in the form of a fruit basket or the actress from San Diego who, in a dim Temple parking lot, said the film gave her the courage to finally tell her fiancé about her own rape and that they've never felt so close. And then there's the accountant from Germany who said the film inspired her to confront her own demons and face her rapist, whom she happened to call Dad.

This wasn't my movie anymore. It was all of ours.

Captain Obvious
04-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Ugh, no.

Too many rape threads lately, it's a really unsettling topic.

Peter1469
04-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Ugh, no.

Too many rape threads lately, it's a really unsettling topic.

That seems to be one of the author / director's messages.

Ravi
04-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Maybe referring to a date as Mr. ScruffyBeard GyroBreath is the wrong approach.

Kabuki Joe
04-24-2014, 08:17 AM
Maybe referring to a date as Mr. ScruffyBeard GyroBreath is the wrong approach.

...is that a pick-up line that didn't work for you?...