PDA

View Full Version : What's new with you?

spunkloaf
06-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Some of us haven't heard from each other for quite some time. I thought it would be cool to have a personal update thread to share anything new or exciting since we last parted.

I started a debt collections job last year. It sure has changed me for the better, I think. But it takes a toll on me emotionally. Imagine the things I've been told, and how much my head has been fucked with. The pay can be good if I hit my commission goal, which unfortunately is not that often. I'm not the best collector on my team, but I work with the most successful team in the company which makes the most money and the biggest commission payout. It's also managed by the company owner's son, and he and I have gotten to be good pals. This is the most unorthodox job I've ever had. It certainly is a trip.

I moved out of my dad's basement! And right into my grandma's basement. (I wasn't really in my dad's basement. Now I am actually in a basement.)

I quit smoking in September 2010. Cigarettes, that is. I caught a nasty cold which made me feel like I wanted to die. Needless to say cigarettes became the last thing on my mind for almost a month. Once I got better I decided it would be pointless to pick up another cigarette since the nicotine was out of my system already. So quitting was easy, except for the fact that a nasty cold made me do it.

Recently bought a new (used) vehicle. Chevy Blazer 98, 4wd. Good price. My first SUV.

I quit the band I was in, and have 2 or 3 other bands inquiring about my interests to join them. It surprises me. Sometimes I feel like people think I'm more talented than I am, either that or I don't give myself enough credit.

That's about all for me, I want to know what's been up with you all.

Mister D
06-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Bought a house this past November. I have a lot of guns now too.

Captain Obvious
06-21-2011, 07:41 PM
For the past 3 years or so I was doing consulting and interim work - CFO, controller at hospitals, stuff like that. Money was great, lots of travel though but I was generally able to spend weekends at home (they paid for all my travel - airfare, car rental, hotel).

I wanted to stay put until my middle boy finished high school but about a year ago we huddled up and decided that a permanent move would work, so after some searching for the right position I took a gig in NH. Been here 6 months and everything is going great.

Family is all moved and we're still trying to sell that house in PA.

Conley
06-21-2011, 08:07 PM
awesome...i always wanted to live in new england, mostly because i like the snow, solitude, and boston sports teams have been on a crazy sports tear.

anyhow i ended up in california (long story) and i dig it out here. it's chill.

Captain Obvious
06-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Being a displaced Steeler fan makes it a bit fun.

It's an odd area I landed in. Very touristy so eating out is tricky. Dropping a benji every time we go out for dinner at one of those tourist traps gets old quick, so we've been driving over the border to Maine, which is like another country in and of itself.

Captain Obvious
06-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Where in CA are you?

I was in San Diego last fall to hit the zoo and a couple other sites.

Conley
06-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Being a displaced Steeler fan makes it a bit fun.

It's an odd area I landed in. Very touristy so eating out is tricky. Dropping a benji every time we go out for dinner at one of those tourist traps gets old quick, so we've been driving over the border to Maine, which is like another country in and of itself.

well how many little capt'ns you got? if it's the whole family i can see a benny, but yeah just you and the missus that's gotta be some anniversary type shit. i'd love to go explore maine.

actually, i'm in san diego now! i tried la, didn't work out...san diego is much more my style.

Captain Obvious
06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Great climate and landscape in SD.

I have 3 sons, but generally me, wifey and the youngest go out. Older boys don't get much into weekly nights out any more, and yeah - for 3 of us to eat at one of those tourist traps it's a benji.

I found a bar in Maine that has wings on Wednesdays (tomorrow), fairly cheap and good also. It's been our regular hangout.

spunkloaf
06-21-2011, 09:26 PM

That must be cool having a house.

Conley
06-21-2011, 09:29 PM
depends where it is i think...some places it makes more sense to rent, especially with property taxes

Mister D
06-21-2011, 09:30 PM

It's awesome. Thanks. My buddy rents a room and that's some extra income too. Otherwise, it would just be me and the cat.

Conley
06-21-2011, 09:34 PM
get your buddy on the rant!

or is that why you're always logging out right after you post?

don't want him posting under your name

:D

Mister D
06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
get your buddy on the rant!

or is that why you're always logging out right after you post?

don't want him posting under your name

:D

This is his PC, actually. I need a new one but I'm still getting back on my financial feet so to speak. Slow as shit this thing...

Captain Obvious
06-21-2011, 09:37 PM

It's awesome. Thanks. My buddy rents a room and that's some extra income too. Otherwise, it would just be me and the cat.

Wait until your hot water heater blows 40 gallons of hot water all over your basement floor or a family of raccoons decides to build a cubbyhole in your attic.

Conley
06-21-2011, 09:41 PM
spunk do you have any more band videos?

your old band way back when sounded awesome, but i can see how that kind of thing doesn't last.

you should still play gigs. debt collection must be brutal though, especially these days. there's been a rash of murder-suicides here in san diego and the causes have been suggested in the papers to be financial difficulties.

Mister D
06-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Wait until your hot water heater blows 40 gallons of hot water all over your basement floor or a family of raccoons decides to build a cubbyhole in your attic.

Had some nonsense already. Apparently, the guy who rented this place (the seller lives in NYC) stopped paying the water bill which I didn't know. They turned off my water during the coldest part of last year. I was still in my apartment because I was having the kitchen gutted and renovated so it wasn't an inconvenience in that respect but when they turned the water back on it caused leaks and clogs all over the house. And under my brand new kitchen sink! >:(

Conley
06-21-2011, 09:47 PM
how did you know who to hire to do your kitchen? i dont trust any of them.

Mister D
06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
how did you know who to hire to do your kitchen? i dont trust any of them.

He was referred through a friend. The guy came recommended and I actually saw his previous work. I've had two guys here so far and they both were recommended by a close friend. I hear what you're saying. I'd be a little concerned too.

Conley
06-21-2011, 10:02 PM
yeah being part of a mob italian family does come with those kinds of benefits ;)

spunkloaf
06-21-2011, 11:07 PM
spunk do you have any more band videos?

your old band way back when sounded awesome, but i can see how that kind of thing doesn't last.

you should still play gigs. debt collection must be brutal though, especially these days. there's been a rash of murder-suicides here in san diego and the causes have been suggested in the papers to be financial difficulties.

The band I was in wasn't my style. I tried for so long not to be picky about it and be grateful for what I had. Then I realized that wasn't helping anybody, least myself. So I jet. As of now I'm exploring some different avenues. One of them includes trying to start up a Beach Boys tribute band.

Debt Collections is tough if you let it be. Right now I'm less worried about improving my performance, and more worried about how I'm going to be rewarded because of the pay scale change. A year ago, I could have been taking home $2500 commission checks every month. This didn't include base pay by the hour, or perks like drawings for large amounts of cash and hefty shopping cards. Now I can top out at $600 plus base pay, doing the same amount of work. That is IF I hit the ridiculous commission goal they set for me. People are quitting. Some are getting themselves fired so they can draw unemployment. I'm thinking about starting a heated argument with the CFO, and seeing where I end up. I'm still worth more alive than dead there, so I don't think they will fire me unless I present a huge risk to the company or really piss somebody off.