PDA

View Full Version : Battle over Obama library takes turn for the absurd

Mr. Mensch
04-24-2014, 12:07 PM
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — The debate over a $100 million Barack Obama Presidential Library has taken a political turn for the absurd.
So says Republican state Rep. Ed Sullivan.
Either one wants to spend the taxpayer dollars — money the state doesn’t have — or one is “wrong” and, thus, a tea party extremist.

http://watchdog.org/140460/battle-over-obama-library-takes-turn-for-the-absurd/

The taxpayer should not be on the hook for the funds to pay for Obama's library.

FYI - The George Bush library was paid for with donated funds.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-ticket/george-w-bush-raises-more-500-million-library-143020106--politics.html;_ylt=A0SO80X3Q1lTu0UAk6dXNyoA;_ylu=X 3oDMTExOTk3ZjhiBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDOQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGl kA1VJQzFfMQ--

Cigar
04-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Wasn't this a Thread two weeks ago?

Or this the other President Obama :laugh:

momsapplepie
04-24-2014, 12:29 PM
So do you think that the Taxpayers in the Bankrupt state of Ill. should pay for Obumbles' monument to me?

MrJimmyDale
04-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Let the state pay for it.......they can just include it in their bankruptcy and........

VOILA!!!! Free Library!!!!

Cigar
04-24-2014, 12:48 PM
So do you think that the Taxpayers in the Bankrupt state of Ill. should pay for Obumbles' monument to me?

Do you care?

I actually live in Illinois ... and I don't give a shit and I don't know anyone who does :laugh: so why don't you tell us ... why do you give a shit ?

keymanjim
04-24-2014, 02:57 PM
You'd think little barry would have his library in Hawaii. Since that's where he and the first heifer like to sped taxpayer's dollars the most.

Perianne
04-24-2014, 03:11 PM
It should be in Kenya.

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Nice to see birthers are still hanging on...

zelmo1234
04-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Do you care?

I actually live in Illinois ... and I don't give a shit and I don't know anyone who does :laugh: so why don't you tell us ... why do you give a shit ?

Because we will likely have to bail your asses out!

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Because we will likely have to bail your asses out!

Are we so sure about that?

http://media.economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/original-size/20110806_WOM959_0.gif

zelmo1234
04-24-2014, 03:20 PM
That is a nice map but not reality.

http://www.wbez.org/news/illinois-pension-problem-how-big-it-really-109659

Just there pensions are underfunded by 250 billion.

Il bonds are basically junk bond status

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 03:22 PM
That is a nice map but not reality.

http://www.wbez.org/news/illinois-pension-problem-how-big-it-really-109659

Just there pensions are underfunded by 250 billion.

Il bonds are basically junk bond status

No, it's reality. The states in red take more federal money than they give.

I'm not sure what state pensions have to do with it.

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Do you understand that you are equating apples to oranges? The point Zelmo was making is that IL, among a bunch of other liberal states, is basically bankrupt. That has nothing to do with which states take in varying levels of Federal spending.

I keep telling myself that if you could understand how to think clearly and logically and not mix things up like this, you probably wouldn't be a liberal either. The two conditions seem to go together.

momsapplepie
04-24-2014, 04:02 PM
It's not going to bother those that need public money, no not much, it's only money that's getting cut from their freebies. Same with the pensioners, it's only money that comes out of their pocket. You think Chitown is in dire straights now? Just wait until that money comes from their poor little pockets! You live in Illinois? poor thing!

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Do you understand that you are equating apples to oranges? The point Zelmo was making is that IL, among a bunch of other liberal states, is basically bankrupt. That has nothing to do with which states take in varying levels of Federal spending.

I keep telling myself that if you could understand how to think clearly and logically and not mix things up like this, you probably wouldn't be a liberal either. The two conditions seem to go together.

The point I was making was these so called "liberal states" like Illinois, actually pay for other states that take more from the federal govt than they give. Maybe if they didn't have to pay for those states, they would have a little more scratch.

I'm so flattered you think of me.

momsapplepie
04-24-2014, 04:13 PM
The point I was making was these so called "liberal states" like Illinois, actually pay for other states that take more from the federal govt than they give. Maybe if they didn't have to pay for those states, they would have a little more scratch.

A little more scratch for what? to erect the monument to me for obumbles? or actually use some monies to pay off some debt?

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 04:14 PM
A little more scratch for what? to erect the monument to me for obumbles? or actually use some monies to pay off some debt?

Debt, infrastructure etc...

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 04:16 PM

I'd be flattered if I saw any chance you'd start thinking because of me. The states don't send money to the Federal government, the Federal government spends money in states as a result of programs, military facilities, the like. Do you comprehend the difference?

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 04:19 PM
I'd be flattered if I saw any chance you'd start thinking because of me. The states don't send money to the Federal government, the Federal government spends money in states as a result of programs, military facilities, the like. Do you comprehend the difference?

Individuals pay federal taxes in return for federal expenditures. Many states take more federal money than their citizens contribute. Illinois is not one of those states.

Read it slowly then read it again, then maybe you'll understand.

momsapplepie
04-24-2014, 04:22 PM
The funds are coming from State taxes, not the feds. So yes, it is coming from the pockets of the freebiers and pensioners who the state has already cut. Now they will have to do with out more....all for the Obama monument. Let Obummer go grub and beg for his own funding for his monument. Every other president has!

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 04:24 PM
I understand it perfectly. You don't understand the difference between state spending/fiscal responsibility and Federal tax collections. The Feds spend that money where their programs and facilities dictate. That has absolutely nothing to do with a state like IL that has so overcompensated and over pensioned its employees that it is going broke.

Did you sleep through the same government class that Nic did?

sachem
04-24-2014, 04:27 PM
So do you think that the Taxpayers in the Bankrupt state of Ill. should pay for Obumbles' monument to me?That is up to them.

Why would Obama build a library to honor you?

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 04:27 PM
The funds are coming from State taxes, not the feds. So yes, it is coming from the pockets of the freebiers and pensioners who the state has already cut. Now they will have to do with out more....all for the Obama monument. Let Obummer go grub and beg for his own funding for his monument. Every other president has!

You realize Obama hasn't asked for this. He has a group that raises money for his library. Just as there was a battle over where George W's library was going to be, there will in turn be a battle over who gets O's library.

I think it's stupid that they have proposed to use public money for it. But if Illinois wants to...it's their choice. Personally, I think the concept of the presidential libraries are stupid. They cost the taxpayer $75 million a year to operate.

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Well, you don't REALLY know what Obama has asked for, now do you?

Agree about these presidential libraries. What a friggin waste of money. What are they going to do with Obama's, run golfing and vacation clips all day?

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 04:31 PM
What are they going to do with Obama's, run golfing and vacation clips all day?

That's the theme of Bush's...

Common Sense
04-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Well, you don't REALLY know what Obama has asked for, now do you?

...and you do?

Mainecoons
04-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I'm not claiming one way or the other. You are claiming he hasn't.

So where's your proof?

momsapplepie
04-24-2014, 04:59 PM
That is up to them.

Why would Obama build a library to honor you?
It's Obumbles' "monument to me". a lot of demscum try to get buildings etc. named after them.

sachem
04-24-2014, 05:01 PM
It's Obumbles' "monument to me". a lot of demscum try to get buildings etc. named after them.Ah. That's not what you wrote. You mean Obama's monument to himself. Correct?

momsapplepie
04-24-2014, 05:05 PM
yes it is Obama's "monument to me", meaning himself.

sachem
04-24-2014, 05:08 PM
yes it is Obama's "monument to me", meaning himself.Um....ok. That will have to do.

patrickt
04-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Our most transparent administration ever has probably already started shredding documents. The "library" can probably be housed ina double-wide trailer. Another liberal Democrat is just now releasing some of his records twelve years after he and his wife left the White House. Not all of the records are being released, mind you, but some.

President Obama hasn't released his school records yet. Sen. Kerry fought valiantly against releasing his military records but did release some.

sachem
04-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Our most transparent administration ever has probably already started shredding documents. The "library" can probably be housed ina double-wide trailer.
That will save some money.

patrickt
04-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Are we so sure about that?

http://media.economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/original-size/20110806_WOM959_0.gif

I realize you really don't understand.
A. Some people in Illinois pay federal income tax.
B. Some people in Illinois pay far more state and local taxes than people in, oh, Texas, for example.

Now, I'll go slow here. The reason Illinois is going to fail is because no matter how much money they get from state and local taxes, they spend more. It's really quite simple and anyone who actually has common sense can see that.

The map you put up is pretty and is called an incredibly stupid diversion. You are saying that if Illinois paid less in federal income tax then everything would be fine. Or, if other states got no kickbacks from the feds and it all went to Illinois, Illinois would be fine. Actually, it wouldn't. Illinois would still spend more than they have coming in. And money from the feds doesn't go into the general fund to cover graft and corruption. Illinois is doomed. Detroit is doomed. California is doomed. New Jersey, New York, not looking good.

That's why this thread was started. A state facing bankruptcy is actually considering spending $100,000,000 on a presidential library. I think my ex-wife is working for the State of Illinois.

Blackrook
04-24-2014, 09:04 PM
At some point the party is going to end and someone is going to have to clean up the mess.

Mr. Mensch
04-25-2014, 02:49 PM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/gmc11824720140424032300.jpg