PDA

View Full Version : Obama-care a bit like the astronaut on the tip of a rocket

Bob
04-25-2014, 02:52 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/15/obamacare-is-a-bit-like-the-astronaut-on-top-of-the-rocket/

Robert Laszewski is president of Health Policy and Strategy Associates, a policy and marketplace consulting firm that has him working closely with many in the heath industry as they try to navigate the Affordable Care Act, as well as the author of the excellent Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review (http://healthpolicyandmarket.blogspot.com/) blog. As such, he has a unique view on how the rollout looks from the industry side. We spoke on Monday. A lightly edited transcript of our conversation follows.

Ezra Klein: You wrote about how the problems on the back-end of the insurance portals, in the way they communicate with the systems of actual insurers, might be as bad or worse than the front-end traffic problems. What are you worried about, exactly?
Bob Laszewski: What I’m worried about is that when people go to their doctor in January they may walk in, and the doctor and hospital won’t find them in the insurer’s computer system or their bank account won’t be appropriately debited or they’ll be signed up for the wrong plan. I’m worried about all these things. Now, we have a few weeks to get this straightened out. But only a few weeks.
EK: Tell me what you’re hearing from the insurance industry that has you concerned.
BL: The insurance industry is literally receiving a handful of new enrollments from the 36 Obama administration-run exchanges. It’s really 20 or 30 or 40 each day through last week. And a good share of those enrollments are problematic. One insurance company told me, “we got an enrollment from John Doe. Then five minutes later we got a message from CMS disenrolling him. Then we got another message re-enrolling him.” On and on, up to 10 times. So insurers aren’t really sure if the enrollments they’ve got are enrollments they should have.
And remember, the insurers have automated all this. They don’t have a clerk sending out a welcome letter and an enrollment card. So if you just let the computer run, it could theoretically issue a welcome letter, a cancellation letter, a welcome letter, a cancellation letter, etc. Now, they’re not doing this right now because it’s all screwed up. They can manage a few dozen per day by hand. But when you’re talking about thousands or tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands, it becomes completely unmanageable.
EK: What do you think went wrong in the design of the federal insurance marketplace. The Obama administration put a lot of focus on this. They knew how important it was. But what they built has, thus far, performed disastrously.

If this interests you, I invite you to real all of this using the link above.

Bob
04-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Same man, Robert Laszewski lecturing on why Republicans should work to repair the ACA rather than repeal the law.

It was not fun for me to watch him, but he makes sense. Once you understand his complete plan. He praises Sen. Tom Coburn's plan and laments Democrats refused to listen to his plan.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?319034-3/robert-laszewski-health-care

Bob
04-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Same man, Robert Laszewski lecturing on why Republicans should work to repair the ACA rather than repeal the law.

It was not fun for me to watch him, but he makes sense. Once you understand his complete plan. He praises Sen. Tom Coburn's plan and laments Democrats refused to listen to his plan.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?319034-3/robert-laszewski-health-care

lynn
04-26-2014, 11:41 AM
The exchanges could have easily been set up to always provide the exact number of people signing up, if this was their first time obtaining insurance, who they were insured under in the past if they had coverage prior, and a wealth of other information that could have been provided for those doing analysis of the data.

The fact is they did not want any method of accountability in place to defeat the ACA nor did they want any people who are investing in it to obtain any real numbers that will invest in that stock. The many problems with the exchanges provides numerous excuses for the government to say we don't know yet.

Mainecoons
04-26-2014, 11:46 AM
No, sorry, it should not be repaired. It should be repealed. The Federal government has no right to be involved in this and as we've seen, they've brought their usual level of stupidity, incompetence and chicanery to it.

1751_Texan
04-26-2014, 11:58 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/15/obamacare-is-a-bit-like-the-astronaut-on-top-of-the-rocket/

Robert Laszewski is president of Health Policy and Strategy Associates, a policy and marketplace consulting firm that has him working closely with many in the heath industry as they try to navigate the Affordable Care Act, as well as the author of the excellent Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review (http://healthpolicyandmarket.blogspot.com/) blog. As such, he has a unique view on how the rollout looks from the industry side. We spoke on Monday. A lightly edited transcript of our conversation follows.

Ezra Klein: You wrote about how the problems on the back-end of the insurance portals, in the way they communicate with the systems of actual insurers, might be as bad or worse than the front-end traffic problems. What are you worried about, exactly?
Bob Laszewski: What I’m worried about is that when people go to their doctor in January they may walk in, and the doctor and hospital won’t find them in the insurer’s computer system or their bank account won’t be appropriately debited or they’ll be signed up for the wrong plan. I’m worried about all these things. Now, we have a few weeks to get this straightened out. But only a few weeks.
EK: Tell me what you’re hearing from the insurance industry that has you concerned.
BL: The insurance industry is literally receiving a handful of new enrollments from the 36 Obama administration-run exchanges. It’s really 20 or 30 or 40 each day through last week. And a good share of those enrollments are problematic. One insurance company told me, “we got an enrollment from John Doe. Then five minutes later we got a message from CMS disenrolling him. Then we got another message re-enrolling him.” On and on, up to 10 times. So insurers aren’t really sure if the enrollments they’ve got are enrollments they should have.
And remember, the insurers have automated all this. They don’t have a clerk sending out a welcome letter and an enrollment card. So if you just let the computer run, it could theoretically issue a welcome letter, a cancellation letter, a welcome letter, a cancellation letter, etc. Now, they’re not doing this right now because it’s all screwed up. They can manage a few dozen per day by hand. But when you’re talking about thousands or tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands, it becomes completely unmanageable.
EK: What do you think went wrong in the design of the federal insurance marketplace. The Obama administration put a lot of focus on this. They knew how important it was. But what they built has, thus far, performed disastrously.

If this interests you, I invite you to real all of this using the link above.

what does CMS have to do with Obama care? CMS is not a ACA agency. If CMS was having problems on whether to enrole him, how is that a cause of ACA?