PDA

View Full Version : Toyota to move jobs and marketing headquarters from Torrance to Texas

Mr. Mensch
04-28-2014, 07:48 AM
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-04-27/toyota-said-to-prepare-to-move-u-dot-s-dot-sales-headquarters-to-texas

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebuss/2014/04/27/it-makes-sense-for-toyota-to-leave-california-for-texas/

Good news for Texas. Sorry California.

nathanbforrest45
04-28-2014, 08:01 AM
Wait wait. I thought we moved all our manufacturing facilities to China. What is this upstart Japanese company doing building cars in the US?

Mr. Mensch
04-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Wait wait. I thought we moved all our manufacturing facilities to China. What is this upstart Japanese company doing building cars in the US?

Apparently that trend is changing. And the office that Toyota is moving is in charge if their U.S. Sales division.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/05/15/foreign-manufacturers-bringing-jobs-to-us/2070327/

nathanbforrest45
04-28-2014, 08:14 AM
This pattern is predicted in "Atlas Shrugged" as states become more "People's Republic of California" etc. Businesses will not remain in business if they cannot keep a substantial part of their earnings. Now, not only will many of those 5000 folks who work in So Cal lose their jobs but so will those who work for local vendors of the facility. This will affect 10's of thousands of workers by the time they move out.

Couldn't happen to a nicer state.

MrJimmyDale
04-28-2014, 08:15 AM
couldn't happen to a nicer state. yep!!!

Refugee
04-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Who needs Toyota when you have welfare and legalized dope :wink:

nathanbforrest45
04-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Of course look at what happened in Chattanooga with VW. They will probably move to Mexico now.

Mainecoons
04-28-2014, 08:29 AM
They are already in Mexico in a big way.

VWs are very popular here. They build mainly for the home market.

Adelaide
04-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Some employees in the two plants near me are trying to get a union in - it's all over the news up here. Most employees realise that this means the jobs would move to the US or another country where Toyota wouldn't have to worry about this crap. I have a family member that works there and there's a lot of hushed discussions about opposing unions because it would likely mean their jobs would disappear. Which, makes sense for Toyota. They certainly don't want to go the way of American car manufacturers. It would be a major blow to two cities in my region, so here's to hoping the dipshits in charge of trying to organize a union smarten the fuck up.

Peter1469
04-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Some employees in the two plants near me are trying to get a union in - it's all over the news up here. Most employees realise that this means the jobs would move to the US or another country where Toyota wouldn't have to worry about this crap. I have a family member that works there and there's a lot of hushed discussions about opposing unions because it would likely mean their jobs would disappear. Which, makes sense for Toyota. They certainly don't want to go the way of American car manufacturers. It would be a major blow to two cities in my region, so here's to hoping the dipshits in charge of trying to organize a union smarten the fuck up.

When I was at Ft. Drum, a plant couldn't start up in New York because of environmental reasons. So it was built across the boarder in Canada and with the prevalent wind flow, the pollution typically ends up in the US anyway. No wonder upstate New York is impoverished.