PDA

View Full Version : Sean Payton Speaking to Bill Parcells About Being Interim Coach of Saints

Conley
03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
While seeking the counsel of his former boss and mentor, Bill Parcells, New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has broached the idea of Parcells becoming the interim head coach during Payton's suspension for the 2012 season, according to several league sources.

Payton and Parcells have spoken numerous times, sources said, since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced last Wednesday that the Saints coach was being suspended for the year because the league found that the team had engaged in a bounty program that included incentives to injure opposing players.

Payton is contemplating an appeal of his stiff sentence, sources said. His suspension begins April 1 and will end after the Super Bowl.

Payton's agent said Monday "no decisions have been made about an appeal."

Donald Yee said Payton "fully supports the league's player safety goals."

However, under a number of problem-solving scenarios related to his suspension that he has discussed with Parcells, one of those scenarios has gauged Parcells' interest in taking over as interim head coach. Payton served as assistant head coach under Parcells when the two were with the Dallas Cowboys from 2003-05, and has sought his counsel on a regular basis since becoming the Saints coach in 2006.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7738693/sean-payton-bill-parcells-discuss-new-orleans-saints-job-sources-say

I don't think Parcells has it any more but it might be fun to see him on the sidelines again. I think Payton's offense is probably way too complicated for him, but I guess Brees can run it himself at this point.

MMC
03-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Well.....needles to say I don't think the Saints will be round playoff time.

Conley
03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
I think they might have a chance. ATL took a step back this year, but it's going to be tough for them, I agree.