PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ryan Holds Congressional Hearing On Poverty, Excludes Poor People

Cigar
05-01-2014, 11:47 AM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/140501-paul-ryan-holds-congressional-hearing-on-poverty-excludes-poor-people.jpg

On Wednesday, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) will hold a hearing on poverty called “A Progress Report on the War on Poverty: Lessons from the Frontlines.” While it will feature three experts, none of them are actually low-income Americans who struggle to get by.

But that’s not for lack of trying from some poor people themselves. Witnesses to Hunger, an advocacy project that shares the stories of low-income Americans, has tried and failed twice to have some of their members who live in poverty speak at Ryan’s poverty hearings. “When Ryan had his first hearing last July,” Director Mariana Chilton told ThinkProgress, “we wrote to his office to see if we could testify, but they weren’t interested.” While Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) tried to get one of their low-income members to speak, it was too late. They were asked to submit written testimony instead.

Chilton’s organization stayed in touch with his office and immediately called his press team when they saw the announcement for Wednesday’s hearing. “They said, ‘It’s too late, we’ve already chosen our people.’” There was one slot left to be filled by Democrats, but that went to Marian Wright Edelman, president of the Children’s Defense Fund. “I think Marian Wright Edelman is a great choice,” Chilton said. But “they had a stronger interest in having a more well-known person to testify.” That means that once again, the hearing won’t feature anyone who really is on the frontlines of poverty. “None of the people who are testifying today are currently living in poverty and it’s unclear if they really know what’s going on from the perspective of people living in it,” she said.

And the written testimonies they submitted will probably do little to impact the conversation. “They’re submitted and they disappear,” Chilton said. Tianna Gaines-Turner sent in a document last year, and this year Barbie Izquierdo has done the same. “If you look at the July hearing for the War on Poverty, you don’t see evidence of Tianna Gaines-Turner’s submitted testimony,” she added. It’s not on the website for the hearing, despite her requests to his office that they include the document, although it has been included on page 64 of the record. Izquierdo’s will probably meet the same fate. “Asking for formal written testimony is a way to let Paul Ryan’s office off the hook,” she said.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/04/30/3432697/paul-ryan-poverty-hearing-poor-people/

Beautiful ... just Beautiful :laugh:

Peter1469
05-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Get me on your special email list for the talking points. Please.

Chris
05-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Since when has the government sought the input of the people instead of supposed experts?

Cigar
05-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Since when has the government sought the input of the people instead of supposed experts?

I just don't understand-surely, out of all the Republicans in office, the party would be able to find someone who at least grew up in somewhat modest circumstances...

He's from a family of wealthy lawyers and businessmen-going back several generations. One of his brothers is a private equity guy tied to Mitt Romney and Bain Capital (and this was even before Paul was chosen as Mr.Moneybags' running mate). Another brother is a Cargill executive based in China.

Chris
05-01-2014, 01:22 PM
I just don't understand-surely, out of all the Republicans in office, the party would be able to find someone who at least grew up in somewhat modest circumstances...

He's from a family of wealthy lawyers and businessmen-going back several generations. One of his brothers is a private equity guy tied to Mitt Romney and Bain Capital (and this was even before Paul was chosen as Mr.Moneybags' running mate). Another brother is a Cargill executive based in China.

Are you saying the Dems turn to common folk on economics instead of say Krugman?

Face it, government picks experts who support government, politicians pick expert that support politicians.

hanger4
05-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Breaking: Obama's Democrats ram ACA through congress .... exclude Republicans.

The Sage of Main Street
05-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Get me on your special email list for the talking points. Please. Repeating the same irrelevant criticism doesn't get you off the hook for your inability to debate the talking points.

zelmo1234
05-01-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't think that you can deal with the left on economic growth!

What poor people need is jobs? What hey Democrats want them to have is a government program!

What poor neighborhood Children needs is schools that have better educations (Charter) What Democrats want them to have is failing Union Schools

What poor people need is Cheep energy to fuel their cars and heat their homes, What democrats want them to have is unreliable Green energy that raises the cost by 3 times!

What poor people need is access to medical care close to home and cheap insurance polices to protect them from long term care and expensive treatment. What Democrats want them to have is a plan they can't afford that makes them drive for hours to find a l=place that will actually treat them!

The Democratic party is standing directly in the way of poor people having a chance at the American Dream

Mainecoons
05-01-2014, 04:52 PM
I haven't seen any administration that has done as good a job of creating rich people and poor people, have you?

Do we need to post again the data that shows that the only jobs that have recovered since Barry took over management of the economy are McJobs?

How stupid can one be to not understand that if you hit an economy with a ton of tax increases, a disruption of a medical system that 85 percent of the population had coverage with, and a ton of new regulations, that it would hurt job creation?

You have to be really stupid, or a liberal (which seems to be the same thing on this board) to not understand this very simple reality.

Quiz Time:

If you subsidize out of wedlock birth and discourage families, do you get more or less out of wedlock birth? (Hint for the truly retarded, study the "Great Society."

If you oppress the productive and subsidize the unproductive you get more of which?

Chris
05-01-2014, 05:07 PM
I haven't seen any administration that has done as good a job of creating rich people and poor people, have you?

Do we need to post again the data that shows that the only jobs that have recovered since Barry took over management of the economy are McJobs?

How stupid can one be to not understand that if you hit an economy with a ton of tax increases, a disruption of a medical system that 85 percent of the population had coverage with, and a ton of new regulations, that it would hurt job creation?

You have to be really stupid, or a liberal (which seems to be the same thing on this board) to not understand this very simple reality.

Quiz Time:

If you subsidize out of wedlock birth and discourage families, do you get more or less out of wedlock birth? (Hint for the truly retarded, study the "Great Society."

If you oppress the productive and subsidize the unproductive you get more of which?

You're making sense. That doesn't work. You have to appeal to their emotions, it has to feel good.

Mainecoons
05-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Yes, sorry I forgot. It apparently feels good to make the rich richer and everyone else poorer because our liberals sure do support an administration that has done exactly that.

I'm a little slow. It's an "age" thing.

Kalkin
05-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Poor people don't contribute enough to have a voice in how much they get from the taxpayers.

Chris
05-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Yes, sorry I forgot. It apparently feels good to make the rich richer and everyone else poorer because our liberals sure do support an administration that has done exactly that.

I'm a little slow. It's an "age" thing.

It's easy to forget since all they ever do is claim they're doing the opposite. The poor think they're helping, the rich know it.