PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds of Afghan Women Imprisoned for "Crimes" Such as Being Raped and Running Away

Conley
03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Hundreds of Afghan women are in jail for "moral crimes", including running away and extra-marital sex, Human Rights Watch (HRW) has said.

In a report, it said that women were punished for fleeing domestic abuse and violence while some rape victims were also imprisoned.

Sex outside marriage - even when the woman is forced - is considered adultery, another "moral crime".

The I Had to Run Away report was released in Kabul on Wednesday.

The report said that the government of President Hamid Karzai had failed to fulfil its obligations under international human rights laws.

"It is shocking that 10 years after the overthrow of the Taliban, women and girls are still imprisoned for running away from domestic violence or forced marriage," HRW Executive Director Kenneth Roth said.

The report called on the government to release about 400 women and girls held in jails or juvenile detention centres.

"Some women and girls have been convicted of mina, sex outside of marriage, after being raped or forced into prostitution," it said.

The treatment of women and girls accused of 'moral crimes' is a black eye on the face of the post-Taliban Afghan government and its international backers, all of whom promised that respect for women's rights would distinguish the new government from the Taliban”

"Judges often convict solely on the basis of 'confessions' given in the absence of lawyers and 'signed' without having been read to women who cannot read or write.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17533816

It doesn't seem too different from Taliban practices. Old habits die hard for these people, apparently. Hard to believe anyone ever thought nation building would be a success there. Stories like this just further underscore how alien that culture is and how putting a U.S. soldier in the middle of that mess isn't going to change a thing.

MMC
03-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Who is Afghanistans International backers for the Taliban? Thats what I want to know. These guys are a disgrace to humanity. Plus it is not much better concerning Afghani men and that so called education. Or reading and writing. I will bet half of those Judges only know how to sign their damn name.

Truly I am tired of hearing about these low life ******-*******, and that they are some type of significant Warrior people. These guys are the scum of this planet, and the We should be about driving that point home to these POS. Yeah I am rambling and not feeling any sympathy for the A**-***** today.

Truthfully I would like to see a Kublai Khan moved made on their azz. Bet the World would see a different reaction from these Cowards! One thing is for sure be glad it's not My Way. Cuz the Last thing anybody would know about would be what was once Called Afghanistan. :rant:

Peter1469
03-28-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't think that they have much international support. I do not believe that many nations even recognized their government prior to 9-11.

dadakarma
03-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Who is Afghanistans International backers for the Taliban? Thats what I want to know. These guys are a disgrace to humanity. Plus it is not much better concerning Afghani men and that so called education. Or reading and writing. I will bet half of those Judges only know how to sign their damn name.

Truly I am tired of hearing about these low life ******-*******, and that they are some type of significant Warrior people. These guys are the scum of this planet, and the We should be about driving that point home to these POS. Yeah I am rambling and not feeling any sympathy for the A**-***** today.

Truthfully I would like to see a Kublai Khan moved made on their azz. Bet the World would see a different reaction from these Cowards! One thing is for sure be glad it's not My Way. Cuz the Last thing anybody would know about would be what was once Called Afghanistan. :rant:

Pakistan.

http://ariananews.af/regional/pakistan-straightly-backs-taliban-nato-report/

Conley
03-28-2012, 09:46 AM
The same Pakistan we give millions of dollars to each year.

It's the same as all the cash we hand out in Afghanistan in the sense that the money can come right back around and bite us in the ass.

dadakarma
03-28-2012, 09:53 AM
The same Pakistan we give millions of dollars to each year.

It's the same as all the cash we hand out in Afghanistan in the sense that the money can come right back around and bite us in the ass.

Yes, Pakistan, our "ally" (wink, wink). Kind of like our "ally" Saudi Arabia.

We are fair weather friends with these leaders and they with us. Friendship lasts on average eleven years or so. We used to be buds with Hussein, remember?51

Conley
03-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Oh yeah, all through the Iran-Iraq war we were BFFs. Well, guess not so much forever. "For now" is probably more accurate.

dadakarma
03-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Oh yeah, all through the Iran-Iraq war we were BFFs. Well, guess not so much forever. "For now" is probably more accurate.

Remember when we were pals with the Taliban, arming them so they could fight off the Russians in Afghanistan? I need a scorecard to keep the shit straight?

Conley
03-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Yep! It'd be nice if we learned some lessons from our foreign policy missteps, especially since the world has changed a lot since we were at odds with USSR. Our current strategies are not working.

dadakarma
03-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Yep! It'd be nice if we learned some lessons from our foreign policy missteps, especially since the world has changed a lot since we were at odds with USSR. Our current strategies are not working.

Being a superpower by plundering reserves of other nations is hard work, especially once everyone starts getting wise to your real motives for 'intervention'.

Conley, have you read 'Confessions of an Economic Hitman' yet?

Conley
03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
I have - it was a while ago. I've always been cynical of U.S. efforts in 3rd world nations but I don't think that our government or people are any more 'evil' than anyone else's. Any nation will pursue their interests through a variety of means at their disposal, but because we're the biggest we often break things worse than others might, and of course get the bulk of the attention.

dadakarma
03-28-2012, 10:25 AM
I have - it was a while ago. I've always been cynical of U.S. efforts in 3rd world nations but I don't think that our government or people are any more 'evil' than anyone else's. Any nation will pursue their interests through a variety of means at their disposal, but because we're the biggest we often break things worse than others might, and of course get the bulk of the attention.

I don't think we're any more evil, either - I think hegemonic arrogance is what comes with power and it's a flaw of the human nature. Give any leader/country that much power and the same cancer will overtake that leader's brain. There may be some exceptions to this, but they're few and far between.

I am glad that I've not been duped and dumbed down into that 'good guys/bad guys simplistic perspective, because it's completely false and that mentality and those who express it are part of why many in other countries find us obnoxious.

Conley
03-28-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't think we're any more evil, either - I think hegemonic arrogance is what comes with power and it's a flaw of the human nature. Give any leader/country that much power and the same cancer will overtake that leader's brain. There may be some exceptions to this, but they're few and far between.

I am glad that I've not been duped and dumbed down into that 'good guys/bad guys simplistic perspective, because it's completely false and that mentality and those who express it are part of why many in other countries find us obnoxious.

I agree with all of that - you expressed it more eloquently than I would be able to. I do believe it comes with power. Man is flawed.

MMC
03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Pakistan.

http://ariananews.af/regional/pakistan-straightly-backs-taliban-nato-report/

Yes Pakistan.....okay but who with the money.

MMC
03-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Being a superpower by plundering reserves of other nations is hard work, especially once everyone starts getting wise to your real motives for 'intervention'.

Conley, have you read 'Confessions of an Economic Hitman' yet?

While true, what resources are we getting from Afghanistan?

MMC
03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Remember when we were pals with the Taliban, arming them so they could fight off the Russians in Afghanistan? I need a scorecard to keep the shit straight?

Yes and Brezinski, Father of Mika of MSDNC, and with Osama Bin Laden and his Cover Name.