PDA

View Full Version : Massive Afghan Terrorist Plot Uncovered

Conley
03-28-2012, 10:29 AM
(CBS News) KABUL - A major terrorist plot targeting Afghan soldiers was uncovered Monday at the Ministry of Defense headquarters in Kabul, an official at the Ministry has confirmed to CBS News.

The official, who asked not to be identified because the Afghan government yet to acknowledge the plot, revealed that 11 suicide vests were found in three rooms in the area surrounding a parking lot at the Ministry.

The investigation is still in its early stages but it is known that 11 buses were scheduled to leave the parking lot carrying Afghan army personnel. The working theory among investigators so far is that a bomber was meant to get on each of those buses and stage a spectacular simultaneous attack.

Six Afghan soldiers were immediately arrested on the scene and it is believed they were ready to proceed with a suicide attack.

The BBC reports Tuesday that 12 additional arrests have been made.

The Afghan government has so far refused to confirm the plot, but CBS News has learned that Afghanistan's defense minister has been called to the presidential palace to give a full briefing on the details of the investigation. The palace itself is less than a mile away from where the vests were found.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-57405020-503543/11-suicide-vests-found-at-afghan-military-hq/

I'm not trying to pick on Afghanistan today, honest! The news out of there is just a relentless drumbeat of bad juju.

Peter1469
03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
At least they stopped the plot.

Conley
03-28-2012, 11:05 AM
At least they stopped the plot.

That's a great point.

More on the story - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17520430

MMC
03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Hmmmm.....Wonder if this all staged. But like Pete said. Good thing no one was hurt.

Conley
03-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Hmmmm.....Wonder if this all staged. But like Pete said. Good thing no one was hurt.

That is a definite possibility too. At this point nothing would surprise me. Actually though, I do remember reading the Afghan government was very embarrassed and they were trying to keep a lid on it, so who knows.

MMC
03-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Yeah, like they were embarrased when their minister got busted stealin US Aid money in the millions. :rollseyes: