PDA

View Full Version : The Rap Battle: Invented By Vikings

Green Arrow
05-04-2014, 05:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gatNLacOjC8

(Enjoy, Alyosha :tongue:)

For anyone familiar with rap music, the practice of "rap battling" is well-known. In a rap battle, two rappers will rap freestyle, the content of the rap consisting of serious insults against the opposing rapper. After the first rapper launches his "attack," the opposing rapper will respond. They will go on until a winner is declared. Most people think the rap battle originated with rap music...but history tells a different story.

In the 5th century, a poem story appeared in the Poetic Edda called "Lokasenna." The word "Lokasenna" means "Loki's quarrel," and is about the Norse god Loki, god of mischief, engaging in what is called a "flyting" with Freyja, the goddess of love, sexuality, and beauty. In his flyting match, Loki accuses Freyja of sexual impropriety. Freyja responds with an insult on Loki, and the other gods gathered soon get involved in the flyting match, producing such gems as this:

I will no longer keep it secret:it was with thy sister
thou hadst such a son
hardly worse than thyself.

The practice of flyting continued well into the 16th century. The Scottish poet Sir David Lyndsay got into a famous flyting match with King James V, in which he said to the king:

Like ane boisteous bull, ye rin and rydeRoyatouslie, lyke ane rude rubatour
Ay fukkand lyke ane furious fornicatour!

And yes, "fukkand" is exactly the word it sounds like, the Old English "fucking." In modern English, it roughly translates to:

Like a boisterous bull, you run and ride
Riotously, like a rude
And fucking like a furious fornicator!

Shakespeare himself had many flyting matches in his works, such as this bit from Act 2, Scene 1 of Troilus and Cressida:

Ajax: Thou bitch-wolf's son, canst thou not hear? Feel then.

Thersites: The plague of Greece upon thee, thou mongrel beef-witted lord!

So, to loosely quote Pavel Chekov of Star Trek fame: The rap battle was invented by Vikings! :D

Peter1469
05-04-2014, 08:49 AM
That was actually an amazing movie. Unlike most the tools in Hollywood, Eminem can act.

Green Arrow
05-04-2014, 08:51 AM
That was actually an amazing movie. Unlike most the tools in Hollywood, Eminem can act.

It helps that he lived it :tongue:

Peter1469
05-04-2014, 09:33 AM
It helps that he lived it :tongue:

His new album is coming out soon.

Alyosha
05-04-2014, 09:38 AM
...and I'm still here screaming FUCK THE FREE WORLD!

313 bitches

Alyosha
05-04-2014, 09:39 AM
You know I love me some Eminem. :D

Green Arrow
05-04-2014, 09:44 AM
You know I love me some Eminem. :D

Now imagine him with a thick, braided red beard, Viking armor, and speaking Old English :tongue:

Alyosha
05-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Now imagine him with a thick, braided red beard, Viking armor, and speaking Old English :tongue:

My first boyfriend looks like the guy in the show Vikings. I'll just imagine him. :)

The Sage of Main Street
05-04-2014, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=Green Arrow;600120]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gatNLacOjC8

(Enjoy, @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863) :tongue:)

Eminem be an Albino chimp.

Alyosha
05-04-2014, 02:22 PM
The Sage of Main Street

http://memecrunch.com/meme/LEG6/eminem-middle-finger/image.png (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=CAae5zKUpM0BuM&tbnid=49ki9gMBETjSFM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemecrunch.com%2Fmeme%2FLEG6%2Fem inem-middle-finger&ei=ZpNmU6ClB6W58gHEhoDQAw&bvm=bv.65788261,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNGf1CTYk13lvbf04x1kQIugelxVIQ&ust=1399317706582126)

BB-35
05-09-2014, 06:45 PM
I thought it when I was 25 and I think it today,So I know it's not just age,But rap has to be one of the most worthless 'musical' styles ever,In my opinion,of course

Spectre
05-09-2014, 06:51 PM
I thought it when I was 25 and I think it today,So I know it's not just age,But rap has to be one of the most worthless 'musical' styles ever,In my opinion,of course

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SO true, SO on the money! I-hate-it-I-hate-it-I-hate-it-I-hate-it-I-hate-it-I-hate-it-I-hate-it-I-hate-it-I-hate-it!!!!!!!

That's why I can't listen to any Nu Metal except for some very early Korn--metal infected with RAP?!?!?! HERESY!!!!

Adelaide
05-10-2014, 02:49 PM
I don't mind rap. When I was younger I had a very public rap off with my best friend. We were obviously drunk. But it was funny. Our boyfriends at the time just looked at us as though we'd lost our minds because our music choices were punk and hardcore rock music, and rapping, well, was not so much us.

There's actually a video of us on Youtube. Not linking to it.

Green Arrow
05-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Rap is good if you find the right stuff. Unfortunately, most of the rap out there is shit.

Mister D
05-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Eminem and anything Nordic do not belong on the same thread. What. The. Fuck.

Green Arrow
05-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Eminem and anything Nordic do not belong on the same thread. What. The. Fuck.

It's a hilarious image, though :tongue: He'd get his ass kicked in the first raid :tongue:

Heyduke
05-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Rapping is a lot older than any of you think.

Many species of male birds are known to rap. They trade insults with other singing males, back and forth, building and adapting as they go.
So, one bird might be like, "Tweetie tweetie twoop twoop twee!"
And the other bird scoffs and goes, "Tweetie tweet twoop twoopie twee!"
And the first bird fires back, "Twoopie tweetie tweep? Tweetie tweetie trill."

And they go back and forth in a rap battle, all in order to sound impressive to the ladies, and to intimidate the other males. What we hear is just tweets and chirps. We think it's just nonsense. But, in bird language, what that male might be saying is, "I'll make it rain on them hoes, I'll make it rain on them hoes, check out my perch you loser birds cuz I got bling on my toes, my feathers shine like gold and my beak ain't a nose!" Or, something like that, you get the idea, unless you don't because you've never actually listened.

nathanbforrest45
05-11-2014, 04:44 AM
According to Jesse Jackson Rap, like everything else, started in Africa and was a way of telling stories. This happened when Africa was the center of culture and refinement. Just before the white man showed up.

nathanbforrest45
05-11-2014, 04:46 AM
Rap is good if you find the right stuff. Unfortunately, most of the rap out there is shit.

Your first sentence is like saying "Being beheaded is ok, as long as you find a sharp enough sword"

Gerrard Winstanley
05-11-2014, 04:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipKiXt5PkWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3spSAvJkm8

Heyduke
05-11-2014, 12:29 PM
The Gospel of Mark is a sick-ass phat rap. If you're familiar with the Gospel of Mark, you know how hectic the narrative is. It has been called The Immediate Gospel, or the Gospel of Immediacy. The Greek word euthus (meaning straight away, or immediate) is used 40 times. Jesus does this, and goes here and hurries there and immediately he busts a move and steps out of this club and hits up another club, just sippin that bub and receiving that dove cuz you're not gonna reach his telephone! (Sorry, borrowed a bit from Lady Gaga there).

The Gospel of Mark was written entirely without punctuation. The Good News was meant to be spread from homie to homie rap-sonically, by laying down a verbal track; lay down a rhythm, knock it to the side, lay down a rhythm, knock it to the side; 1,2,3,4=1 then 1,2,3,4=2 then so on til you get 16 bars, beat break.

The thing about rap is that it's all about the beat, and the number of syllables don't really matter.
1-2-3-4, wassup? Can you feel me, dog? 1-2-3-4, huh!

The voice of one crying in the wilderness, [One Time!]
Prepare ye the way of the Lord, [Huh!]
make his paths straight. [That's right!]
John did baptize in the wilderness, [Huh!]
and preach the baptism of repentance [Word!]
for the remission of sins [That's right!]
Mark 1: 3-4