PDA

View Full Version : NFL Passes New Overtime Rules For Regular Season.....

MMC
03-29-2012, 12:10 AM
The overtime rules that referees and players couldn't keep straight in the playoffs are coming to the regular season.
League owners voted on Wednesday to change overtime rules for the whole season. The postseason overtime that was implemented in 2010 will now be used all year. Instant sudden death is out, with a few caveats.

In layman's terms: As Tim Tebow and Demaryius Thomas showed in the AFC wild-card game, a team will win if it scores a touchdown on the first possession of overtime. If a field goal is scored, the game continues and begins as sudden death.

The downsides of the new system will be evident once the following scenario occurs: The receiving team kicks a field goal, the other team gets the ball back, converts a do-or-die fourth down on the next possession and goes on to win the game with a touchdown. The inherent advantage of going second, and getting four downs to stay in a game, is an advantage on par with receiving the ball first in sudden death.....snip~

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-passes-overtime-rules-regular-season-games-152153688.html

That sucks! :angry:

Mister D
03-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Not sure what I think of this.

Conley
03-29-2012, 08:39 AM
I still don't fully get it. :laugh:

It doesn't like it would need to be complicated. Besides field goals should count like any other points - they are part of the game. There's certainly no problem with it if the team kicks a long distance field goal to win the game at the end of regulation. And I thought stats showed winning the coin toss didn't make it more likely a team would win. So what's the problem?

Mister D
03-29-2012, 08:40 AM
I do hate cheesy field goal wins in OT.

Conley
03-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Why are they cheesy? Points are points. It's a legit part of the game. Do you hate field goal wins in regulation?

Mister D
03-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Why are they cheesy? Points are points. It's a legit part of the game. Do you hate field goal wins in regulation?

It's not so anti-climatic at the end of regulation but if there are still several minutes left an a FG ends the game in sudden death? :undecided:

Conley
03-29-2012, 08:55 AM
It's not so anti-climatic at the end of regulation but if there are still several minutes left an a FG ends the game in sudden death? :undecided:

Maybe it's just because your Jets/Patriots/Broncos/Bears (whoever you cheer for) don't have a good kicker? :kiss:

I will grant you it's not ideal but the defense has a chance to stop the offense long before they ever get in range usually, unless some other part of their team breaks down.

Maybe you have more of a problem with the sudden death component rather than field goal kicking?

Mister D
03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Maybe it's just because your Jets/Patriots/Broncos/Bears (whoever you cheer for) don't have a good kicker? :kiss:

I will grant you it's not ideal but the defense has a chance to stop the offense long before they ever get in range usually, unless some other part of their team breaks down.

Maybe you have more of a problem with the sudden death component rather than field goal kicking?

Since kickers are usually illegal aliens I tend not to have a favorite. :angry:

Yeah, sudden death is the real issue I suppose. Then again, I'm not a huge fan anyway.

MMC
03-29-2012, 10:08 AM

:juggler: .....:smiley_ROFLMAO:

MMC
03-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Since kickers are usually illegal aliens I tend not to have a favorite. :angry:

Yeah, sudden death is the real issue I suppose. Then again, I'm not a huge fan anyway.

:kick:.....:f_whistle:.....:grin20: