PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg

Mister D
07-28-2011, 05:33 PM
A buddy and I decided to head over to Gettysburg again this weekend. I think we'll have a lap top so I'll pop in here and there. Anyway, they have great antique shops and most are obviously military related. A couple years ago I bought a local paper that had an article dated a few days after Custer's Last Stand. I knew I was going to buy that as soon as I saw it. What will I find this time... ::)

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 07:37 PM
How far is Gettysburg from Pottsville? If it's not that far, you should stop by Yeungling and sample some wares.

Conley
07-28-2011, 07:41 PM
A buddy and I decided to head over to Gettysburg again this weekend. I think we'll have a lap top so I'll pop in here and there. Anyway, they have great antique shops and most are obviously military related. A couple years ago I bought a local paper that had an article dated a few days after Custer's Last Stand. I knew I was going to buy that as soon as I saw it. What will I find this time... ::)

Cool, keep us updated. Will be tough to keep this place going without you around though.

See if you can't get your bud on here too. ;)

Mister D
07-28-2011, 07:45 PM
How far is Gettysburg from Pottsville? If it's not that far, you should stop by Yeungling and sample some wares.

The guy I'm going with has been there. He brought his father in law from Germany over there. For some reason that dude loves American beer and collects Budweiser paraphernalia. Anyway, that would be fun. The brewery is less than 2 hours from me.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Cool, keep us updated. Will be tough to keep this place going without you around though.

See if you can't get your bud on here too. ;)

I almost always make sure there is a laptop available so I'll be here.

Conley
07-28-2011, 07:47 PM

The guy I'm going with has been there. He brought his father in law from Germany over there. For some reason that dude loves American beer and collects Budweiser paraphernalia. Anyway, that would be fun. The brewery is less than 2 hours from me.

A German beer fan that loves Budweiser?

Crazy...maybe it's the novelty. Give me a Spaten any day...I love that beer. I drank it every day in Munchen ;D

Definitely should hit up the Yeungling though.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Less than 2 hours from you?

Hell, I'd be over there once a month.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 07:52 PM

Crazy...maybe it's the novelty. Give me a Spaten any day...I love that beer. I drank it every day in Munchen ;D

Mister D
07-28-2011, 07:53 PM

Less than 2 hours from you?

Hell, I'd be over there once a month.

:D :D You know I've never been a big fam of their regular amber lager. I'm a Lord Chesterfield man...harrumph...

Conley
07-28-2011, 08:03 PM

???

Mister D
07-28-2011, 08:14 PM

???

:D Where did my post go? OK...I will try and remember this.

I've been out with him a few times and I think the main thing is that he just loves eating and drinking. ;D He is really into Bud stuff though. He likes bar coasters with American beer ads on them too.

I never had Spaten but I see it all the time at the sto'. Hacker Schorr's (sp?) Edelweiss is my favorite German beer so far. It's not a wheat beer. It's a lager but their wheat beers are tasty.

Conley
07-28-2011, 08:28 PM
:D

Thanks for the rewrite...yeah Spaten is great imo but it is very light for a German beer. You can drink it all day and it goes with anything, even in the heat.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the rewrite...yeah Spaten is great imo but it is very light for a German beer. You can drink it all day and it goes with anything, even in the heat.

Lawnmower beer.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I went to this place that was about a half hour from me - Ebenezer's pub. 35 exotic beers on tap and 1,000 in bottles. Buddy of mine told me about it so I took the wife and mother-in-law there last Friday.

First beer I ordered was sour, spoiled. Might have been the heat or whatever - I asked if it was supposed to be sour (it was a dark lager, never heard of it before) and they said no. I lost confidence in their draft system so I ordered a Geary's Hampshire Ale. Local micro beer - 1,000 bottles, they have to have it - right? Nope, so I said just give me a Bass ale (I just wanted a beer in front of me at that point). No bass.

They had Corona, budmiller - all the shit beers, they had Guiness - no Bass?

Fuck it - give me an iced tea. I didn't even get that after asking twice so I drank my wife's ice water.

It's bad enough they charge $8/glass for "exotic" beer, it is too much to ask for one that's not spoiled?

Yeah, they can keep it - beer snobs, the fucking idiot tourists that go there probably think spoiled beer is exotic.

There's a place further down the road in Maine that I've been going to - Bray's. They make their own beer but it's blue collar stuff. Pale ale and a porter and they're great, and two bucks a glass. I'll stick with that.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 08:45 PM
D - take some pics at Gettysburg and post them up.

My mom and dad spent a week there a while back, they had a blast.

Conley
07-28-2011, 08:46 PM

Lawnmower beer.

;D Well put.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 08:50 PM

Lawnmower beer.

;D Well put.

Not that there's anything wrong with it either.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 08:55 PM

That's exactly why I like American style lagers. You can drink a lot of them without feeling full.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I went to this place that was about a half hour from me - Ebenezer's pub. 35 exotic beers on tap and 1,000 in bottles. Buddy of mine told me about it so I took the wife and mother-in-law there last Friday.

First beer I ordered was sour, spoiled. Might have been the heat or whatever - I asked if it was supposed to be sour (it was a dark lager, never heard of it before) and they said no. I lost confidence in their draft system so I ordered a Geary's Hampshire Ale. Local micro beer - 1,000 bottles, they have to have it - right? Nope, so I said just give me a Bass ale (I just wanted a beer in front of me at that point). No bass.

They had Corona, budmiller - all the shit beers, they had Guiness - no Bass?

Fuck it - give me an iced tea. I didn't even get that after asking twice so I drank my wife's ice water.

It's bad enough they charge $8/glass for "exotic" beer, it is too much to ask for one that's not spoiled?

Yeah, they can keep it - beer snobs, the fucking idiot tourists that go there probably think spoiled beer is exotic.

There's a place further down the road in Maine that I've been going to - Bray's. They make their own beer but it's blue collar stuff. Pale ale and a porter and they're great, and two bucks a glass. I'll stick with that.

Beer snobs manage to be even more annoying than wine snobs. Beer is the peoples drink! >:(

Honestly, I'm just not picky with beer. I like beer. Period. I have only a few dislikes and they include spoiled brew (I hear ya on that), very cheap beer (a la Natural Light) and ice brew.

$2 a glass is my kind of place.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 09:01 PM
D - take some pics at Gettysburg and post them up.

My mom and dad spent a week there a while back, they had a blast.

Will do. I don't have a digital camera but my friend does. I'll ask him to bring it along. Devil's Den and Little Round Top are cool. Can't wait to go there again.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 09:05 PM

Lawnmower beer.

I'll never understand that. My dad used to do that whenever he mowed the lawn in the heat. Now he's on blood thinners so he only drinks on special occasions. Anyway, the last thing I want when I'm sweating is an alcoholic drink of any kind.

Conley
07-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah, Bass was probably the first foreign beer I ever drank regularly. Haven't had it for years now, I wonder if I'd like it. Not sure I've ever had 'spoiled' beer before, if so I probably just drank it anyway :-X

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah, Bass was probably the first foreign beer I ever drank regularly. Haven't had it for years now, I wonder if I'd like it. Not sure I've ever had 'spoiled' beer before, if so I probably just drank it anyway :-X

Spoiled beer is sour, vinegary. Draft beer is not pasteurized traditionally and is subject to spoiling if it's not kept refrigerated.

I remember way back when I bought a half barrel of Yeungling Porter, tapped it and it was sour - so I took it back to the place where I bought it. Asked the guy to taste it and he did. This was a big guy, he then picked up the keg and threw it across the warehouse. I almost shit myself, I'm thinking I really pissed this guy off. He stormed back into the cooler and brought out another keg and gave it to me apologizing.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 09:11 PM

Spoiled beer is sour, vinegary. Draft beer is not pasteurized traditionally and is subject to spoiling if it's not kept refrigerated.

I remember way back when I bought a half barrel of Yeungling Porter, tapped it and it was sour - so I took it back to the place where I bought it. Asked the guy to taste it and he did. This was a big guy, he then picked up the keg and threw it across the warehouse. I almost shit myself, I'm thinking I really pissed this guy off. He stormed back into the cooler and brought out another keg and gave it to me apologizing.

Cool story. 8)

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:11 PM

Lawnmower beer.

I'll never understand that. My dad used to do that whenever he mowed the lawn in the heat. Now he's on blood thinners so he only drinks on special occasions. Anyway, the last thing I want when I'm sweating is an alcoholic drink of any kind.

My dad's on thinners also, he stopped drinking maybe 5 years ago. He was a heavy drinker also.

The stuff I'm drinking now (my stuff) - these batches didn't turn out great, but I'll still drink them. I over-shot the alcohol content, they're very high - too high. If I mowed the lawn and had one or two of these, I'd pass out.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 09:13 PM

Lawnmower beer.

My dad's on thinners also, he stopped drinking maybe 5 years ago. He was a heavy drinker also.

The stuff I'm drinking now (my stuff) - these batches didn't turn out great, but I'll still drink them. I over-shot the alcohol content, they're very high - too high. If I mowed the lawn and had one or two of these, I'd pass out.

:D What are we talking? 8%. Higher?! :o

Conley
07-28-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm getting kegerator ads now in addition to the ones for alcoholism treatment >:( :D >:D

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Lawnmower beer.

:D What are we talking? 8%. Higher?! :o

If I sat down and did the math, I could figure it out but it's probably not far from 8%, maybe a little lighter.

I like beer, I like drinking beer - I just don't like getting shitfaced. I have a batch going now (I'm swamping it - it's in a plastic party tub and I rotate frozen bottles of ice to keep it cool in the heat) and I was shooting for a much lower alcohol content (among other improvements to my process).

So far so good.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm getting kegerator ads now in addition to the ones for alcoholism treatment >:( :D >:D

A few months back when I started this project, I was looking at kegorators. I even went to the Home Depot with empty kegs to see if they would fit in those dorm fridges.

Wound up buying a full size fridge that they had on clearance. $240 out the door, I just have to drill holes in it and get my taps set up. I have picnic taps for now, I'll get around to drilling out sooner or later.

I'll drop some pics when I do.

It's way too easy to down beer when it's right there on tap for the taking. I get "the eye" more often than not lately.

Fucker.