PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS Sours on Obama Care.....

MMC
03-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Supporters of President Obama's health-care reform law were confident the court would rule it constitutional. It appears the predictions were off the mark.

A week ago, supporters of the Affordable Care Act and legal scholars seemed certain that the Supreme Court would find the law constitutional, by a 6-3 or even a 7-2 vote. But after three days of contentious hearings this week, such forecasts seem presumptuous: The five members of the court's conservative majority all apparently doubt whether Congress has the authority to force (nearly) every American to buy health insurance (the "individual mandate"), an essential provision of President Obama's health-care overhaul. How did so many people get their predictions so wrong (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/28/divining-the-supreme-court-health-care-arguments/)?
1. Obama's lawyer unexpectedly blew it
Solicitor General Donald Verrilli's defense of ObamaCare "may go down as one of the most spectacular flameouts in the history of the court," says Adam Serwer at Mother Jones (http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/obamacare-supreme-court-disaster). He was fighting for "liberalism's biggest domestic accomplishment since the 1960s," but came across like a stammering teenager, stumbling over the "most predictable of questions." Verrilli parroted tired talking points instead of clearly explaining how enforcing the individual mandate wouldn't give the government unlimited powers. "If the law is upheld, it will be in spite of Verrilli's performance, not because of it.".....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-sours-obamacare-did-legal-experts-wrong-103100400.html

Mainecoons
03-31-2012, 07:59 AM
And apparently the court lefties did their damndest to coach him. So much for being impartial judges.

This is going to be a 5:4 decision and all you have to do is look at Obama's two appointments to realize why it is absolutely vital that he be defeated before being able to appoint any more of the same. One of these people, Kagan, doesn't even have the decency to recuse despite the obvious conflict of interest.

MMC
03-31-2012, 08:11 AM
And apparently the court lefties did their damndest to coach him. So much for being impartial judges.

This is going to be a 5:4 decision and all you have to do is look at Obama's two appointments to realize why it is absolutely vital that he be defeated before being able to appoint any more of the same. One of these people, Kagan, doesn't even have the decency to recuse despite the obvious conflict of interest.

Did you see the new 17 trillion dollar funding gap they discovered this last weekend. Check this out MC . Its what they are trying to cover over.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/2580-Another-17-Trillion-Surprise-Found-in-Obamacare

Mainecoons
03-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Eventually, enough people will get around to reading the bill to find out what is in it that all the goodies like this one will come out.

MMC
03-31-2012, 08:17 AM
I got it up for ya. Despite them trying to hide it over. :thumbsup20:

Peter1469
03-31-2012, 09:45 AM

That is what happens at the appellate level. No surprise there.

Peter1469
03-31-2012, 09:46 AM
I have no desire to practice at the appellate levels. I liken them to the vultures hanging around for battles to end so they can feed off the dead.

MMC
03-31-2012, 10:19 AM

I thought Kagan did dismiss herself from this issue?

Conley
03-31-2012, 10:22 AM
I thought Kagan did dismiss herself from this issue?

Not that I know of. When was the last time a SC judge recused anyhow?

Peter1469
03-31-2012, 10:35 AM
She did not, and the Chief Judge backed her.

MMC
04-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Eventually, enough people will get around to reading the bill to find out what is in it that all the goodies like this one will come out.

Well we know they were reading it. Sessions is Adamant about finding any of the unfunded obligations that may or may not be hidden.

Conley
04-01-2012, 01:36 PM
This might be considered by some a poor generalization, but I'd say any bill that size should be inherently suspicious.

MMC
04-01-2012, 01:44 PM
This might be considered by some a poor generalization, but I'd say any bill that size should be inherently suspicious.

That bill is ridiculous with the way it was put together as well.