PDA

View Full Version : Do these Brilliant Minds need a raise?

Libhater
05-11-2014, 11:32 AM

Adelaide
05-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Generally, I don't believe representatives should get more than $100,000/year plus travel costs. Our MPs were terribly underpaid at something like $85,000 and voted to raise their salaries and a lot of people were pissed off about it. But when your electoral district is in BC and you're having to live part-time in Ottawa, to use an example, you need more than that. I don't even think that a Prime Minister or President should make more than that, particularly when they live for free in the White House or 22 Sussex.

Peter1469
05-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Generally, I don't believe representatives should get more than $100,000/year plus travel costs. Our MPs were terribly underpaid at something like $85,000 and voted to raise their salaries and a lot of people were pissed off about it. But when your electoral district is in BC and you're having to live part-time in Ottawa, to use an example, you need more than that. I don't even think that a Prime Minister or President should make more than that, particularly when they live for free in the White House or 22 Sussex.

DC is an expensive place to live. And most representatives have to maintain two homes. I would pay them more. But add term limits so they can't stick around after the system corrupts them.

zelmo1234
05-11-2014, 12:06 PM
DC is an expensive place to live. And most representatives have to maintain two homes. I would pay them more. But add term limits so they can't stick around after the system corrupts them.

How about a part time legislator! And I like Murphy beds and showers in their offices.

We have Term limits, they are called elections so no need to change things there but they need to understand that they are not royalty, they are servants of the people

Peter1469
05-11-2014, 12:07 PM
How about a part time legislator! And I like Murphy beds and showers in their offices.

We have Term limits, they are called elections so no need to change things there but they need to understand that they are not royalty, they are servants of the people

I used to think that elections = term limits. Then the facts hit me hard in the face. They are not.

zelmo1234
05-11-2014, 12:12 PM
I used to think that elections = term limits. Then the facts hit me hard in the face. They are not.

I agree that it is hard for someone to challenge the sitting elected official. However I am not willing to take one more freedom away.

If someone wants to serve their county and the people he or she represents want him or her to represent them? Who an I to argue with that?

Peter1469
05-11-2014, 12:31 PM
I agree that it is hard for someone to challenge the sitting elected official. However I am not willing to take one more freedom away.

If someone wants to serve their county and the people he or she represents want him or her to represent them? Who an I to argue with that?

Well, we can shake hands and agree to disagree.

KC
05-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I have radical ideas about how congressional salaries ought to work. Not realistic, just idealistic.

The Sage of Main Street
05-11-2014, 02:50 PM

We have Term limits, they are called elections so no need to change things there but they need to understand that they are not royalty, they are servants of the people To save taxpayer money, we could follow Paul Ryan's suggestion and make them have their Mommies make their lunch to carry to Capitolist Hill.

Libhater
05-11-2014, 06:21 PM
To save taxpayer money, we could follow Paul Ryan's suggestion and make them have their Mommies make their lunch to carry to Capitolist Hill.

Now that's a start......good old Conservative ideals at work.

Bob
05-11-2014, 07:12 PM

When this comes up, I recall how this works.

But a story first.

I spent 3 consecutive years on the Board of Directors for the California Association of Realtor's.

There were about 2200 hundred of us. My board had about 3500 members and was among the largest boards in CA. My board had more Realtors than the state of Nebraska had. (Statewide we 2200 represented 135,000 real estate agents including the brokers.)

There I was on a number of committee assignments. By virtue of my work at home, on various committees then obtained my elected office to our board of directors, where I spent 4 years, with 20 directors including myself, term limits often came up.

I arrived to my committee assignments with no knowledge of Robert's Rules of order. I purchased a book that I still own. Folks, people who truly understand Roberts Rules of Order are few and those experts on them know how to work the system.

Congress also has rules of order.

Anyway, the Board president appointed me to the state board of directors. I told him I preferred being on the local board. He says, trust me, you will love being on the state board.

He was correct. I was asked by one of the important directors at state if I would take on the job of committee member of State Budget and Finance. I says, I have a few enemies of my own board and am not sure that this woman bitch will allow that. She term limited me out. I recall my final meeting where she broke out in this enormous evil grin as she told the group it was my last meeting. She and I clashed on the local board of directors. I served at State for one year before becoming a director of the local board. It was backwards to me. (first State then local director) I found so much good at State that it became my mission to create the Ambassadors club. My Membership committee that I then chaired was kind enough to support me. We had the aim of making sure all members were able to profit from what we state directors learned at State meetings. I felt the members at large simply knew very little about either the local board operations nor the state operations.

I always voted on the state budget of the CAR.

Anyway, my point being that you can't judge them by a few years on the job.

Just when I was the most valuable to the State CAR, this bitch made sure I did not get appointed again.

Her fucking old man, a guy i liked a lot, ran Kelly Moore Paint company. He was the president. Janet was so fucking authoritarian, and in my book not caring about the members she served, we clashed.

I had watched the board CEO like I was in his back pocket and he was fucking the board.

We directors tallied it up and decided 40 percent of us knew the story and 60 percent did not care. We knew the CEO was ripping off the association. But his pal directors protected him. Talk about corruption.

Finally somebody, I think an employee of the board, delivered to my office at the dead of night, proof of the CEO corruption. The person made it widely available. I had a talk with some of the new incoming directors that they had to repair the board corruption. One asked me, why the fuck didn't you fix it.

I said, my friend, I gave it my best shot. I was shot down by some of the other directors,.

So, how does this relate to congress.

First it takes them time to figure out what is happening in DC. If you term limited them, by the time they knew, they would be out the door. They don't show up knowing all of the inside stuff. At first you think, what the fuck?? Can this be true. Is this person really fucking over the public? Does that person care what harm they do? Those punks group per belief system. I tell Arrow he has to stick with republicans since they are more the honest group. I factually believe what I just told you. Democrats are eager to fuck you. It is their mission in life. Politics to them is cash paid monthly, perks of their offices, the trips they take for free, so long as they can claim it to be official business and so on. They are recognized by the public anywhere they go.

Even as a director at my board. I had strangers approach me acting as if we were best pals. I did not know them. But I was happy to make them pleased at my job.

The Senators serving 6 years have enough time. But we the public are not told enough to realize how good or bad they are. That is why Senators Kennedy, and his shit head pals lasted so long. They find you, feel you up, fuck you and forget you. Do you think Senator Boxer from CA gives a shit? To her credit, I think Senator Feinstein of CA is far more caring about the public. I don't like her politics, but I do not question she cares.

Crap, I realize I can park on this one topic till I am blue in the face. I must have a meal.

Best of luck to all of you. Learn your politics. Study not what they say, study what they do.

Bob
05-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Arrow loves Rand Paul. I say that kindly. I do as well.

Why don't I back Rand Paul to be president should he run?

In a word, he is far too green.

I did not, not like Obama just for being a negro. There are far too many Negros I do like. Negro does not mean evil or not competent.

Rand is just getting the hang of how to be a Senator.

Obama never understood that job. Note his typical vote of present. I tried to locate a track record for Obama but gosh-darn if I could find one. The man managed to leap frog by bullshitting. He bullshitted his way to the top. But why isn't he doing good now?

Because he does not have to. Nobody can hold a flame to his toes to make him learn that job. Some presidents do not ever learn. Obama is in that camp.

nathanbforrest45
05-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Why not have each state maintain a residence for its senators and representatives. It could be like apartments in each state's "embassy". Each state could show off the reason one should live and work there in these "embassies". The congressmen could live in a small one bed room apartment for free. If you put all the "embassies" in a common area transportation could be provided to the Capital. They already maintain offices in the Capital Building

Refugee
05-11-2014, 09:47 PM
$52,000 a year, no perks or extras, $1,000 a week. You don't turn up for meetings, you lose that weeks salary. Now lets see how many really want to serve the people!

Max Rockatansky
05-11-2014, 09:53 PM

Agreed. Cut the pay and only those worth less than $100,000 will apply for the job since most intelligent people can make that much in jobs far easier and much more convenient.

Max Rockatansky
05-11-2014, 09:54 PM
$52,000 a year, no perks or extras, $1,000 a week. You don't turn up for meetings, you lose that weeks salary. Now lets see how many really want to serve the people!

The answer is "Only fucking morons". Is that who you really want passing laws such as voting on the budget and passing legislation to raise your taxes?

Refugee
05-11-2014, 10:19 PM
The answer is "Only fucking morons". Is that who you really want passing laws such as voting on the budget and passing legislation to raise your taxes?

I wouldn’t necessarily call people on a 1000 a week morons, but I’d call millionaires like Reid and Pelosi morons. If politicians were running businesses the vast majority would be bankrupt. Perhaps if you treble the salaries of politicians you’d get some clever ones, or the same ones earning treble what they’re getting now?

Peter1469
05-12-2014, 04:06 AM
Agreed. Cut the pay and only those worth less than $100,000 will apply for the job since most intelligent people can make that much in jobs far easier and much more convenient.

Or build a barracks near the capital building. Make it really nice. Let the Congress Critters live there when they are in DC.

Mainecoons
05-12-2014, 07:20 AM
New Mexico and some other states have a great arrangement for limiting the mischief of these politicians. They are only allowed to meet for 3 months every two years, otherwise one month. That forces them to quickly cut to the chase and not pass token nonsense.

Combine this with term limits.

Max Rockatansky
05-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Or build a barracks near the capital building. Make it really nice. Let the Congress Critters live there when they are in DC.

That's nice, but it doesn't change that fact that only people who are willing to spend half a year living in a barracks for $100,000 will apply for the job. While some will do it out of patriotism, over time, they'll put their family first and find a better job with better hours and benefits closer to home.

The Sage of Main Street
05-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Now that's a start......good old Conservative ideals at work. When do Conservatives ever apply their ideals to themselves? Flag-waving draftdodgers, welfare moochers off Daddy's money, unincentivized unpaid education, etc.

Libhater
05-12-2014, 11:12 AM
When do Conservatives ever apply their ideals to themselves? Flag-waving draftdodgers, welfare moochers off Daddy's money, unincentivized unpaid education, etc.

Nice imagination there mr. utopian, but none of those scenarios have a remote semblance to me and my life experience(s).

Max Rockatansky
05-12-2014, 12:22 PM
When do Conservatives ever apply their ideals to themselves? Flag-waving draftdodgers, welfare moochers off Daddy's money, unincentivized unpaid education, etc.

When do Liberals? It seems personal accountability is a rare commodity in American politics.

donttread
05-12-2014, 01:59 PM

If they think they are underpaid don't apply for the job and don't spend so much money trying to keep the job. I'll do it for $174,000.00 plus bernes

Mini Me
05-12-2014, 11:48 PM

Force them to live in a commisary, eat nothing but gruel and grits, with buckets only for toilets, and no running water.
And have public floggings for the public to enjoy for their bad actions, and put them in stocks for the peasants to throw eggs at them!

They must learn humility!:laugh:

Mini Me
05-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Arrow loves Rand Paul. I say that kindly. I do as well.

Why don't I back Rand Paul to be president should he run?

In a word, he is far too green.

I did not, not like Obama just for being a negro. There are far too many Negros I do like. Negro does not mean evil or not competent.

Rand is just getting the hang of how to be a Senator.

Obama never understood that job. Note his typical vote of present. I tried to locate a track record for Obama but gosh-darn if I could find one. The man managed to leap frog by bullshitting. He bullshitted his way to the top. But why isn't he doing good now?

Because he does not have to. Nobody can hold a flame to his toes to make him learn that job. Some presidents do not ever learn. Obama is in that camp.

So true Bob!

Obama was another Bilderberger puppet, and a champion bullshitter!

Mini Me
05-13-2014, 12:03 AM
Here is a real winner!

Ban any lawyers and lobbyists from serving!

The Sage of Main Street
05-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Here is a real winner!

Ban any lawyers and lobbyists from serving! Ban anyone whose father held office. Hereditary power belongs in the crumbling castles of Europe, choking in their dust there instead of suffocating us here.