PDA

View Full Version : Potential Solutions for America

wildlyrefused
05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
I have written a 17pg paper/rant told from a neutral point of view that has potential to change things. It is a new system of govt that caters to all wings ideals, from the value of work and respecting labor, while realizing materialism is the new natural resource. I am looking for more critique of the idea, not the literary rules of writing. It has a huge potential and I am only doing this because of the push from peers that have both seen the hard copy, and heard the verbal run-down. I am somewhat ignorant of political forums when it comes to finding forums specifically meant to cater to one side. Here is the link.

http://jakemill00.wix.com/solutions

The Sage of Main Street
05-14-2014, 12:34 PM
I have written a 17pg paper/rant told from a neutral point of view that has potential to change things. It is a new system of govt that caters to all wings ideals, from the value of work and respecting labor, while realizing materialism is the new natural resource. I am looking for more critique of the idea, not the literary rules of writing. It has a huge potential and I am only doing this because of the push from peers that have both seen the hard copy, and heard the verbal run-down. I am somewhat ignorant of political forums when it comes to finding forums specifically meant to cater to one side. Here is the link.

http://jakemill00.wix.com/solutions
Like most people here, I don't want to read 17 pages. So I'll comment on what to me, as in similar DO NOT ENTER signs in @ImpressPolly's dissertations, is a basic error received from the intellectual authorities but never questioned. Astronomy is a wasteful leisure-class pursuit that distracted science for 3 millennia from having any value to mankind. Glorifying that self-indulgent stagnation makes me believe you've gotten off on the wrong track. From that spoiled perspective, we should also be happy with high grades in college even though it is work without pay.

Peter1469
05-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Ha!

Akula
05-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Astronomy is a wasteful leisure-class pursuit that distracted science for 3 millennia from having any value to mankind. Glorifying that self-indulgent stagnation.....

I heartily disagree.
Without astronomy there would be no navigation or exploration. No space travel, no moon landings...

The world would still be considered flat and the sun considered to revolve around the earth. No one would understand the tides, the seasons or astronomical phenomenon like eclipses and meteors...You're talking about the Dark Ages, man.

Bob
05-14-2014, 03:57 PM
I read several pages of his beginning and 2 at the end. It was enough to understand his point.

Things are bad enough right now without resorting to his solution.

Blackrook
05-14-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm not going to read a 17-page manifesto from some random guy on the internet. Why don't you give me the Reader's Digest version?

The Sage of Main Street
05-15-2014, 10:40 AM
I heartily disagree.
Without astronomy there would be no navigation or exploration. No space travel, no moon landings...

The world would still be considered flat and the sun considered to revolve around the earth. No one would understand the tides, the seasons or astronomical phenomenon like eclipses and meteors...You're talking about the Dark Ages, man. You're referring to practical benefits, which didn't come into play until scientists became practical in the 15th Century. Before that, practical benefits were considered lower class. Because only the rich could afford this self-indulgent and superstitious star-gazing, science was of little value to the rest of mankind.

Peter1469
05-15-2014, 11:05 AM
What about navigation at sea?

You're referring to practical benefits, which didn't come into play until scientists became practical in the 15th Century. Before that, practical benefits were considered lower class. Because only the rich could afford this self-indulgent and superstitious star-gazing, science was of little value to the rest of mankind.

Akula
05-15-2014, 01:11 PM
I was hoping the sextant was invented before the 15th century, Sage.

Alas.

The Sage of Main Street
05-16-2014, 12:11 PM
I was hoping the sextant was invented before the 15th century, Sage.

Alas. Whatever. The purpose of astronomy was not navigation. It's purpose was useless self-indulgence. As with NASA, spinoffs hardly pay for the main goal of an escapist Trekkie circus and could have been directly funded instead of being tied in to such a childish pursuit.

Peter1469
05-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Bean counting economists traced the economic benefit-to-cost of Apollo to 26:1, and say that it likely much greater, but it gets impossible to track at some point.

Whatever. The purpose of astronomy was not navigation. It's purpose was useless self-indulgence. As with NASA, spinoffs hardly pay for the main goal of an escapist Trekkie circus and could have been directly funded instead of being tied in to such a childish pursuit.

The Sage of Main Street
05-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Bean counting economists traced the economic benefit-to-cost of Apollo to 26:1, and say that it likely much greater, but it gets impossible to track at some point. The corporations in the lunatic loop get free funding, whether they succeed or fail, and then get to keep the patents. The beanheads are part of the spaced-out ruling class. Again, if the government wants to increase the power of computers, for example, let them have a computer program instead of tying it in with a childish spectacle.