PDA

View Full Version : Apple and Foxconn Reach Historic Labor Standards

Conley
03-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Apple Inc and its main contract manufacturing Foxconn agreed to tackle violations of conditions among the 1.2 million workers assembling iPhones and iPads in a landmark decision that could change the way Western companies do business in China.

Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group, whose subsidiary Hon Hai Precision Industry assembles Apple devices in factories in China, will hire tens of thousands of new workers, eliminate illegal overtime, improve safety protocols and upgrade workers' housing and other amenities.

It is a response to one of the largest investigations ever conducted of a U.S. company's operations outside of America. Apple (AAPL.O) had agreed to the probe by the independent Fair Labor Association FLA.L to stem a crescendo of criticism that its products were built on the backs of mistreated Chinese workers.

The association, in disclosing its findings from a survey of three Foxconn plants and over 35,000 workers, said it had unearthed multiple violations of labour law, including extreme hours and unpaid overtime.

FLA President Auret van Heerden expects the agreement between Apple, the world's most valuable listed company, and Foxconn, which supplies 50 percent of the world's consumer electronics, to have far reaching affects.

"Apple and Foxconn are obviously the two biggest players in this sector," he said in an interview. "Since they're teaming up to drive this change, I really do think they set the bar for the rest of the sector."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/30/uk-apple-foxconn-idUSLNE82T00B20120330

Clearly all of our pissing and moaning on political forums has pressured Apple into getting this done. :grin: Seriously, it is good news.

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 07:12 PM
http://ihackstore.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/siri-3gs-2.png

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 07:16 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/198/798/chatroulette-trolling-thanks-siri-now-where-can-i-buy-a-shovel.jpg

dsolo802
03-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Apple Inc and its main contract manufacturing Foxconn agreed to tackle violations of conditions among the 1.2 million workers assembling iPhones and iPads in a landmark decision that could change the way Western companies do business in China.

Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group, whose subsidiary Hon Hai Precision Industry assembles Apple devices in factories in China, will hire tens of thousands of new workers, eliminate illegal overtime, improve safety protocols and upgrade workers' housing and other amenities.

It is a response to one of the largest investigations ever conducted of a U.S. company's operations outside of America. Apple (AAPL.O) had agreed to the probe by the independent Fair Labor Association FLA.L to stem a crescendo of criticism that its products were built on the backs of mistreated Chinese workers.

The association, in disclosing its findings from a survey of three Foxconn plants and over 35,000 workers, said it had unearthed multiple violations of labour law, including extreme hours and unpaid overtime.

FLA President Auret van Heerden expects the agreement between Apple, the world's most valuable listed company, and Foxconn, which supplies 50 percent of the world's consumer electronics, to have far reaching affects.

"Apple and Foxconn are obviously the two biggest players in this sector," he said in an interview. "Since they're teaming up to drive this change, I really do think they set the bar for the rest of the sector."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/30/uk-apple-foxconn-idUSLNE82T00B20120330

Clearly all of our pissing and moaning on political forums has pressured Apple into getting this done. :grin: Seriously, it is good news.It is good news for the Chinese people, and for the American worker too. No matter how good the American worker is there is no way we can compete with a country that heavily exploits slave and child labor.

I was reading today that some 20% of the Chinese work force are children, supported by a groups that make their living by kidnapping children and selling them to Chinese factories.

We don't tolerate that kind of abuse here, we should not be subsidizing it abroad.

dsolo802
03-31-2012, 07:27 PM
VoZ, you are showcasing inferior Apple technology: Everyone knows a metal foundry is not a great place to hide a dead body.

Conley
03-31-2012, 07:37 PM
VoZ, you are showcasing inferior Apple technology: Everyone knows a metal foundry is not a great place to hide a dead body.

True...but if you're being chased by a Terminator, there's no better place.

dsolo802
03-31-2012, 07:41 PM
True...but if you're being chased by a Terminator, there's no better place.We can all agree on that :)

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 07:50 PM

Hey, I've had all out battles with Siri, I've won some, I've lost some...

If Siri says stashing a dead body at a metal foundry is a good idea, then it's a good idea.

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 07:51 PM
True...but if you're being chased by a Terminator, there's no better place.

Exactly...

dsolo802
03-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey, I've all out battles with Siri, I've won some, I've lost some...

If Siri says stashing a dead body at a metal foundry is a good idea, then it's a good idea.Isn't Siri Tom Cruise's kid?

Never mess with a Scientologist, man. That can get you dead.

Mainecoons
03-31-2012, 08:07 PM
What I find very interesting is that Apple, a flaming liberal company, has been caught in effect running a sweatshop. However, we all know just how deep hypocrisy runs in liberalism.

(grin)

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Isn't Siri Tom Cruise's kid?

Never mess with a Scientologist, man. That can get you dead.

I think we're talking about two different Siri's...

http://youtu.be/Bz-fmXX9QDI

dsolo802
04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I think we're talking about two different Siri's...

http://youtu.be/Bz-fmXX9QDI
VoZ, that was "humor." I shall attach an example of what i consider to be humorous for easy analysis and comparison :)

Conley
04-01-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't see an attachment. Is that the joke? No sense of humor? :grin:

Conley
04-01-2012, 11:52 AM
It is good news for the Chinese people, and for the American worker too. No matter how good the American worker is there is no way we can compete with a country that heavily exploits slave and child labor.

I was reading today that some 20% of the Chinese work force are children, supported by a groups that make their living by kidnapping children and selling them to Chinese factories.

We don't tolerate that kind of abuse here, we should not be subsidizing it abroad.

Agreed. I'm perfectly fine paying more for a computer built under better conditions, just like I am willing to pay more for healthier food.

dsolo802
04-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Agreed. I'm perfectly fine paying more for a computer built under better conditions, just like I am willing to pay more for healthier food.Both parties, you'd think, could agree with this - unless they truly want to make plain that money is the highest value.

This is an opportunity for our political whores of both parties to step up and demonstrate that America truly does value human life, and the honest labor of American workers, over the ethic that says make money by fair means if possible, foul means if necessary.

This is a human rights issue.

Conley
04-01-2012, 01:34 PM
True enough. "It's only business" / "I'm just doing my job" / "what's best for the shareholders" has somehow become carte blanche to make money as you put it - by fair means if possible, foul means if necessary.

dsolo802
04-01-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't see an attachment. Is that the joke? No sense of humor? :grin:My reference to an attachment was yet another joke.

Alas, looks like I should hang onto my day job.

VoZ's sardonic and ironic posts tend to elicit bizarre, gonzo riffs from me. Then again, reading the Federalist Papers and caselaw will do that to me as well.

Conley
04-01-2012, 01:41 PM
My reference to an attachment was yet another joke.

VoZ's sardonic and ironic posts tend to elicit bizarre, gonzo riffs from me. Then again, reading the Federalist Papers and caselaw will do that to me as well.

Nah, I appreciated both - tone is hard to convey but yes, I LOL'd and was giving it back to you.

Vilifier of Zombies
04-01-2012, 02:34 PM
My reference to an attachment was yet another joke.

Indeed, right now my brain is mush - the Law on Natural Resources - The Stockholm Declaration 1972 - The Brundtland Commission make for light Sunday reading...

Vilifier of Zombies
04-01-2012, 02:45 PM
VoZ, that was "humor." I shall attach an example of what i consider to be humorous for easy analysis and comparison :)

Siri would demote Maverick's Scientology status to the membership association - and if push came to shove Siri would rename the kid because of diametrically opposed predilections...

Siri is becoming ever more powerful each and every day!

dsolo802
04-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Siri would demote Maverick's Scientology status to the membership association - and if push came to shove Siri would rename the kid because of diametrically opposed predilections...

Siri is becoming ever more powerful each and every day!Siri sounds a little like Vijar, from Star Trek, the Original Series and the first Star Trek movie.