PDA

View Full Version : Security Breach Hits Card Processors, Banks.....

MMC
03-31-2012, 09:46 PM
(Reuters) - Four giant card-payment processors and large U.S. banks that issue debit and credit cards were hit by a data-security breach after third-party services provider Global Payments Inc discovered its systems were compromised by unauthorized access.

U.S. law enforcement authorities including the Secret Service are investigating and MasterCard said it has hired an independent data-security organization to review the incident.

The shares of Atlanta-based Global Payments, which acts as a credit-checking middleman between merchants and card processors, were halted on Friday afternoon after dropping more than 9 percent on the news.

Global Payments said it determined that an unauthorized entity had accessed its systems and possible customer card data in early March. Krebs on Security, a blog that first reported the incident on Friday, said accounts had been compromised for over a month, between January 21, 2012 and February 25, 2012.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/mastercard-tells-banks-possible-security-breach-154439326.html

MMC
03-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Mastercard, Visa, Discover, all dropped in the markets.

Peter1469
03-31-2012, 11:35 PM
There is a need for legislation to provide for very harsh punishment for this sort of crime. We are entering an electronic age and we cannot be held hostage by electronic thieves. My preference would be to draw and quarter them. But I don't think that the girls would agree with that.

MMC
03-31-2012, 11:43 PM
No, I don't think they would approve. :laugh:

Peter1469
03-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Spoil sports.

Dagny
04-01-2012, 07:56 AM
There is a need for legislation to provide for very harsh punishment for this sort of crime. We are entering an electronic age and we cannot be held hostage by electronic thieves. My preference would be to draw and quarter them. But I don't think that the girls would agree with that.
Where did you fall in the Bradley Manning debates? I'm guessing you'd offer the same solution for him?

There seems to be an outcrop of people who see Anonymous as heroes. The problems arise, when these hackers begin to enter territory that isn't just fun and games anymore.

MMC
04-01-2012, 09:04 AM

Well, with this issue they still have not found out who it was. The Piece says the Feds are involved, plus Mastercard hired a Private investigator.

Peter1469
04-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Where did you fall in the Bradley Manning debates? I'm guessing you'd offer the same solution for him?

There seems to be an outcrop of people who see Anonymous as heroes. The problems arise, when these hackers begin to enter territory that isn't just fun and games anymore.

Bradley Manning is going to be court-martialed for aiding the enemy. Drawing and Quartering is not a punishment available under the UCMJ.