PDA

View Full Version : Athiests Sue to Have Cross Removed at Ground Zero

Conley
07-29-2011, 10:49 AM
NEW YORK US atheists are suing to try to block a cross-shaped steel girder once part of the destroyed World Trade Center from being displayed in an upcoming 9/11 museum.

The American Atheists group filed the lawsuit on Tuesday against the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and other bodies linked to the museum, which is due to open next year.

At issue is a piece of wreckage that happens to form a cross shape and which became a symbol of faith for many of those involved in the clean-up and reconstruction after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in which nearly 3,000 people died.

The cross was moved over the weekend to the still incomplete museum at Ground Zero as part of feverish preparations ahead of the 10th anniversary of 9/11 this September.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i8QdCBE-U3Q7kU3BHlIPndkpn-xA?docId=CNG.0ada76caa7222587dc079819aa56e0a2.591

This gets my vote for idiotic lawsuit filing of the week. I respect atheists' right to believe what they want, wish they would do the same for others as well.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, pretty silly and counter productive. I guess the idea is to get exposure for whatever group is suing but this is like PETA and the Holocaust analogies. For every person that stops and think there will be many more who will be repelled.

Conley
07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
They must have very empty lives for this to be a priority.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 12:42 PM

If they really care about it definitely but I'm guessing they don't. Thsi is just a plublicity stunt.

Conley
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM

If they really care about it definitely but I'm guessing they don't. Thsi is just a plublicity stunt.

I agree with you - I would think the backlash would negate any positive effects. Anyone on the fence would roll their eyes ::) and the hard core atheists don't need to be convinced to join.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 12:53 PM

I agree with you - I would think the backlash would negate any positive effects. Anyone on the fence would roll their eyes ::) and the hard core atheists don't need to be convinced to join.

Exactly. I'm not sure what advantage they think they are going to derive from this.

MMC
07-29-2011, 01:27 PM
You called it earlier D.....that 15 minutes of fame brutha. >:D

Mister D
07-29-2011, 02:11 PM
You called it earlier D.....that 15 minutes of fame brutha. >:D

For whatever it's worth to them...

hellraiser
07-29-2011, 11:08 PM
athiests like the rest of amercia can do whatever they want. tax dollars shouldnt go toward paying for this cross. let the christians pay for it themselves.

guaranteed if tax dollars were being spent on the ground zero mosque republicans would be screaming bloody murder. the government shouldnt choose between religions, thats why we have separation of church and state, or at least we should have it.

MMC
07-30-2011, 08:10 AM
athiests like the rest of amercia can do whatever they want. tax dollars shouldnt go toward paying for this cross. let the christians pay for it themselves.

guaranteed if tax dollars were being spent on the ground zero mosque republicans would be screaming bloody murder. the government shouldnt choose between religions, thats why we have separation of church and state, or at least we should have it.

Did you forget the Mosque Democrats that are against such too.....musta missed em....Huh? >:D

hellraiser
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
not sure what you mean. the republicans are more anti muslim than the democrats, or do you not agree? proof?

Mister D
08-02-2011, 09:02 AM
not sure what you mean. the republicans are more anti muslim than the democrats, or do you not agree? proof?

What dioes it mean to be anti-Muslim?

MMC
08-02-2011, 11:33 AM
How are the Republicans Anti-Muslim? Methinks you need to go and take a look at some pictures in past history. Plus I think there are plenty of pics running around when Bush jr layed that kiss on the Saudi King or vice versa.....then ya got Johnny Quest McCain running around saying Libyan Rebels are his heroes. musta forgot those Sunni that are involved with the MB. >:D

Mister D
08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
How are the Republicans Anti-Muslim? Methinks you need to go and take a look at some pictures in past history. Plus I think there are plenty of pics running around when Bush jr layed that kiss on the Saudi King or vice versa.....then ya got Johnny Quest McCain running around saying Libyan Rebels are his heroes. musta forgot those Sunni that are involved with the MB. >:D

I'd curious as to what anti-Muslim means in this context. Examples might help.

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 11:42 AM
anti-muslim means against muslims

what does mb mean?

Mister D
08-02-2011, 11:50 AM
anti-muslim means against muslims

what does mb mean?

Could you give us some examples to help illustrate your case?

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 11:55 AM
ok

there are many many examples look at hermain cain most recently

http://www.phillytrib.com/tribune/tribunecommentary/20522-tribune-editorial-gop-should-rebuke-anti-muslim-bigotry.html

mosque banning

this is the kind of thing republicans love

Mister D
08-02-2011, 12:04 PM
ok

there are many many examples look at hermain cain most recently

http://www.phillytrib.com/tribune/tribunecommentary/20522-tribune-editorial-gop-should-rebuke-anti-muslim-bigotry.html

mosque banning

this is the kind of thing republicans love

Can demonstrate the love of the GOP for "mosque banning"? Sorry, pointing to an editorial that criticizes Herman Cain just won't do. Is this all you have?

Secondly, there appears to be more to the story. Who knew! :o ;D

But if some people in Murfreesboro want the county to reject construction of the new mosque, they also wanted and won rejection of a proposed Bible theme park in the city. "It isn't about Islam or religion, it's about where they want to build," insists Kevin Fisher, an organizer of opposition to the mosque who says he also opposed the Bible park because developers wanted to build too close to a subdivision. Along with worries over increased traffic on a road he says is already too dangerous, Fisher says the Center's plans to one day have a cemetery could generate soil and water contamination. Ayash says that while one member of the Center is already buried on the property, without a coffin, "in accord with Islamic custom," it all took place with county and city approval and within health guidelines.

Fisher says that's not good enough. "Each of my concerns is based on legitimate issues. This has nothing to do with anti-Islam; it's not racism. I'm African-American, I know what it's like to be discriminated against. I wouldn't do that to someone." Still, Fisher concedes he didn't object to the construction of the new Grace Baptist Church at the same corner. "That's a much smaller building [than the 52,000 feet complex the Center might one day build] and they don't plan a cemetery."

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2011847,00.html

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 12:09 PM
see if you read that carefully you see he was ok with the church being built just not the mosque

that proves my point!

MMC
08-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey What the hell is going on I just sent to posts and they never posted up.

Mister D
08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
see if you read that carefully you see he was ok with the church being built just not the mosque

that proves my point!

If you had read that carefully he explained exactly why. You can not believe him. That's fine, but that hardly proves yor point.

Again, can you demonstrate this "love" for "mosque banning" supposedly displayed by the GOP? Or is this just the sort of smear you throw out there in the hopes that no one will call you on it?

Mister D
08-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey What the hell is going on I just sent to posts and they never posted up.

If someone posts ahead of you you will see a message with a pink background. You have to resubmit it.

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
lol

he lies i can not belive you fall for that

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local%20News/Republican-s--anti-Muslim-letter-sparks-outrage

everywhere this happens

The chairwoman of an Otero County Republican women's group on Tuesday defended a letter to the editor in which she wrote, "I believe Muslims are our enemies."

see?

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
or maybe to many bad words

Mister D
08-02-2011, 12:23 PM
lol

he lies i can not belive you fall for that

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local%20News/Republican-s--anti-Muslim-letter-sparks-outrage

everywhere this happens

The chairwoman of an Otero County Republican women's group on Tuesday defended a letter to the editor in which she wrote, "I believe Muslims are our enemies."

see?

How do you know he is lying? Hint: you have no idea.

So we have two people out of tens of millions of registered Republicans who have possibly expressed anti-Muslim sentiment. :D :D So where is this love for "mosque banning" you were speaking of?

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
these are republican leaders there are many many like them

did you hear about mosque in new york near ground zero? of course

Mister D
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
these are republican leaders there are many many like them

did you hear about mosque in new york near ground zero? of course

These two people are obscure. So where is this love for "mosque banning"? Never mind. You've already answered my question. This is just one of those smears you throw out hoping you won't get called on it.

Sure did. Were all those people Republicans? In NYC? Seriously? :D

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 12:49 PM
you know i am right so you keep changing the arguement

Mister D
08-02-2011, 12:52 PM
you know i am right so you keep changing the arguement

I'm only addressing what you claimed. You simply cannot support your claim but I knew that before I asked.

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
do you have any muslim friends?

any republican friends?

Mister D
08-02-2011, 01:27 PM

any republican friends?

What does it matter? In any case, yes. My bartender is a young Albanian.

Of course. That shouldn't be a surprise since registered Republicans outnumber Muslims by a VERY wide margin.

MMC
08-02-2011, 01:33 PM

any republican friends?

Of course. That shouldn't be a surprise since registered Republicans outnumber Muslims by a VERY wide margin.

Gawd forbid you got some Republican friends.....huh D? Thats almost as bad as the bangers runnin around asking peep what you be about. :D ::)

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
so ask your republican friends what they think of muslims :)

Mister D
08-02-2011, 01:39 PM

any republican friends?

Gawd forbid you got some Republican friends.....huh D? Thats almost as bad as the bangers runnin around asking peep what you be about. :D ::)

I wonder if hell has any friends on the right?

Mister D
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
so ask your republican friends what they think of muslims :)

I don't have to considering that we all (Repub, Dem or independent) have a nice time at happy hour with a Muslim bartender. :o :o

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
so its ok for muslims to serve you but not ok for them to build mosques i see

were you against the mosque in ny? why?

Mister D
08-02-2011, 01:47 PM

I gave you a negative karma for that remark. It was an uncalled for personal attack.

What does it matter? I'm not a Republican.

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 01:54 PM
thats not fair not a personal attack im just asking questions

english is not my first language

you dont want to discuss mosque fine but you attack more than me

MMC
08-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Ah.....that explains it English is not your first language. What is? Such may be why you are not understanding fully what one says.

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 01:59 PM
people stop with bad karma!

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 02:04 PM

I gave you a negative karma for that remark. It was an uncalled for personal attack.

i did not give you negative karma even though you are wrong

Mister D
08-02-2011, 02:05 PM

You had no basis for asking what you asked me. I never once gave my views regarding mosques in the US. They aren't relevant. Neither is my personal life.

So what? That is not a license to attack people.

I am discussing the banning of mosques and your claims regarding the GOP.

Mister D
08-02-2011, 02:05 PM

i did not give you negative karma even though you are wrong

Wrong about what?

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 02:12 PM
hellraiser
08-02-2011, 02:12 PM
and mosque

Mister D
08-02-2011, 02:20 PM
and mosque

I haven't expressed my thoughts or feelings regarding the building of mosques. What am I wrong about? Moreover, I'm not a Republican.

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 02:26 PM
ok

friends? :)

Mister D
08-02-2011, 02:27 PM
ok

Sure. :-*

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 02:32 PM
:)

MMC
08-02-2011, 02:41 PM
ok

Sure. :-*

Awww aint that sweet.....http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/olovo/smilies/pillowfight.gif >:D

hellraiser
08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
i like you to

you know all about muslims shia sunni

you must read the news all the time

i will learn from you :)

MMC
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
i like you to

you know all about muslims shia sunni

you must read the news all the time

i will learn from you :)

Thanks HR.....I will give ya some good karma once the site lets me. I think it only lets us give out one in an hour to each individual. Yes you might say history is something I like studying about. It is the same for Mister D as he knows history quite well. ;)

Also I work for the one of the largest News outlets in the Country. Running a buisness with all Print, including East Coast papers and Mags. :)

spunkloaf
08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm way late on replying to this. But I as well too also additionally think it is dumb to sue anybody for erecting a cross made of steel.

spunkloaf
08-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Ever feel like people stop talking when you make a comment? Like you just killed a great conversation by adding your two cents? I think I'm that guy. :(

Conley
08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Ever feel like people stop talking when you make a comment? Like you just killed a great conversation by adding your two cents? I think I'm that guy. :(

Don't take it personally. There are only 3 1/2 people on this site...me, D, MMC, and Cap'n when he's not working for the man ;)

Also I was going to post something about getting sued for an erection but I thought we were trying to be intellectual up in this bitch.

>:D

spunkloaf
08-03-2011, 08:50 PM

Don't take it personally. There are only 3 1/2 people on this site...me, D, MMC, and Cap'n when he's not working for the man ;)

Also I was going to post something about getting sued for an erection but I thought we were trying to be intellectual up in this bitch.

>:D

:D

It's not personal at all. I'm just drinking and posting randomly, is all.

I also work for the man. I scheduled an entire week off and am in the midst of it now.

Conley
08-03-2011, 08:55 PM
You got a week off and are only showing up now in the middle of it?

>:( >:( >:( ;)

Mister D
08-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm way late on replying to this. But I as well too also additionally think it is dumb to sue anybody for erecting a cross made of steel.

You pretty much agree with the rest of us. What more is there to say?

spunkloaf
08-03-2011, 10:07 PM

I've been in a bout of deep depression lately, it's now that I took some time off that I am returning to normal and making a presence again. I might even go beyond the internet and start going out again! ::)

spunkloaf
08-03-2011, 10:08 PM

You pretty much agree with the rest of us. What more is there to say?

I don't know. Diddo?

Conley
08-03-2011, 11:07 PM

I've been in a bout of deep depression lately, it's now that I took some time off that I am returning to normal and making a presence again. I might even go beyond the internet and start going out again! ::)

I've been there man...glad you are feeling better. ;D

spunkloaf
08-03-2011, 11:19 PM

I've been there man...glad you are feeling better. ;D

Getting Better- The Beatles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk0dBZ1meio#)

Conley
08-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Nine Inch Nails - "We're In This Together" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Zulx4mjHk#noexternalembed)

Conley
08-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Hrrmph...The video's owner can bite me >:(

freecell
08-04-2011, 12:07 AM
As a Christ follower i would love to know how many atheist think we don't also pay taxes.

wingrider
08-04-2011, 01:13 AM
for freecell

Cristy Lane - One Day At A Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz2L1v7Wkx8#)

spunkloaf
08-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Nine Inch Nails - "We're In This Together" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Zulx4mjHk#noexternalembed)

This was one of the songs that solidified my love for NIN. I still get chills when I hear this song, when Reznor screams right before the guitar solo. Wow.

Conley
08-04-2011, 10:22 AM

This was one of the songs that solidified my love for NIN. I still get chills when I hear this song, when Reznor screams right before the guitar solo. Wow.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:terribletowel:

Mister D
08-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Seems like a hateful dude though...

spunkloaf
08-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Seems like a hateful dude though...

His material certainly paints that image for him.

Trent Reznor has a fetish for making morbid and shocking lyrical statements.

"God is dead
And no one cares
If there is a hell
I'll see you there"

The lyrics depict a struggle with religion more than an attack on God. Reznor actually makes quite a few references to God in his works, but more of his "hateful" jabs are aimed at religion and tyrannical governments, and the notion that humans swallow it all thinking it's all good for them.

This notion was dramatically conveyed in NIN's Year Zero album/experience, where Trent hired a media production company to create an alternate-reality online world where information from the future was supposedly sent back 15 years through time to warn us of the 1984-like world we're entering ourselves into. HBO is in the works of creating a miniseries based off the concept album, which was released in 2007.

Politically Reznor leans more to the left, but describes himself as non-political, embracing the idea that any grab for power can't be trusted to have the purest of intents.

In real life Reznor presents himself as a calm, collected and intelligent artist. Much like Marilyn Manson, who would not have the career he does without Reznor's support.

Mister D
08-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Black people.

Conley
08-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Trent used to be more pissed off, then he found love, got married, and mellowed out :(

Conley
08-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Interesting that we've gone from Ground Zero to Year Zero in this thread :D

spunkloaf
08-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Trent used to be more pissed off, then he found love, got married, and mellowed out :(

How To Destroy Angels - The Believers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yNgfcl6TE8#ws)

He couldn't have picked a better mate.

Conley
08-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Ah, I rememeber the old HtDA site.

Yep, Trent did well for himself.

spunkloaf
08-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Black people.

Yer darn tootin.

Conley
08-05-2011, 12:39 AM
O0