PDA

View Full Version : Gaddafi is stronger than ever in Libya

Conley
07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
The fact Gaddafi has survived the rebellions and Nato bombing undermines the simplistic view of a hated tyrant clinging on

"Fresh diplomatic efforts are under way to try to end Libya's bloody civil war, with the UN special envoy flying to Tripoli to hold talks after Britain followed France in accepting that Muammar Gaddafi cannot be bombed into exile.

The change of stance by the two most active countries in the international coalition is an acceptance of realities on the ground. Despite more than four months of sustained air strikes by Nato, the rebels have failed to secure any military advantage. Colonel Gaddafi has survived what observers perceive as attempts to eliminate him and, despite the defection of a number of senior commanders, there is no sign that he will be dethroned in a palace coup.

The regime controls around 20% more territory than it did in the immediate aftermath of the uprising on 17 February."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/libyan-rebels-have-conceded-ground-since-bombing-began-2326524.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/29/gaddafi-libya-nato

How many different quagmires can we find ourselves in simultaneously?

MMC
07-29-2011, 12:46 PM
He is even stronger now CL.....http://news.yahoo.com/libyan-rebels-military-chief-killed-011616885.html >:(

BENGHAZI/NALUT, Libya (Reuters) - Libya's rebels said their military commander was shot dead in an incident that remained shrouded in mystery, pointing either to divisions within the movement trying to oust Muammar Gaddafi or to an assassination by Gaddafi loyalists.Younes was killed in mysterious circumstances on Thursday after being recalled to Benghazi from the front line near the oil port of Brega.
The rebels said Younes was shot dead by assailants after being summoned back from the battlefield.

The killing coincided with the start of a rebel offensive in the west and further international recognition for their cause, which they hope to translate into access to billions of dollars in frozen funds.
Younes was not trusted by all of the rebel leadership due to his previous role in cracking down on anti-Gaddafi dissidents.

But his death is likely to be a severe blow to a movement that has won the backing of some 30 nations but is laboring to make progress on the battlefield."A lot of the members of the TNC were Gaddafi loyalists for a very long time. They were in his inner circle and joined the TNC at a later stage," said Geoff Porter from North Africa Risk Consulting.

The fighting has settled into a stalemate in a conflict that Gaddafi has weathered for five months, despite rebel gains, mainly in the east, and hundreds of NATO air raids on his forces and military infrastructure.A recent flurry of diplomatic activity has yielded little, with the rebels insisting Gaddafi step down as a first step and his government saying his role is non-negotiable.....snip~

Conley
07-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks MMC.

All of this is very disturbing :(

MMC
07-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks MMC.

All of this is very disturbing :(

This is what the Asociated Pres put up this morning.....http://news.yahoo.com/fear-confusion-among-libyas-rebels-killing-110329856.html

BENGHAZI, Libya (AP) — Fear and confusion have gripped the de-facto rebel capital in eastern Libya after the rebel military chief was shot dead.Much remains unclear about Younis' death. A rebel leader said Younis was summoned for questioning but shot dead with two aides before he arrived. He said rebels arrested someone for the attack, but had not found the bodies.

Rebel security officers said earlier that they had arrested Younis for questioning about alleged ties to Gadhafi's regime, raising the possibility he died in their custody.
He said two of the commander's aides, both colonels, were also killed in the attack by gunmen and that rebels had arrested the head of the group behind the attack. He did not say what he thought motivated the killers.

Adding to the confusion, the rebels had said hours earlier they had already detained the commander, Abdel-Fattah Younis, on suspicion his family might still have ties to the regime of Moammar Gadhafi, raising questions about whether he might have been assassinated by his own side.Such a scenario would signal a troubling split within the rebel movement at a time when their forces have failed to make battlefield gains despite nearly four months of NATO airstrikes against Gahdafi's forces. It could also shake the confidence of the United States, Britain and several dozen other nations that have recognized the rebel council as Libya's legitimate leaders.

Hours before the commander's death was announced, rebel military spokesman Mohammed al-Rijali had said Younis was taken for interrogation from his operations room near the front line to the de facto rebel capital of Benghazi in eastern Libya.Later, Abdul-Jalil presented a different scenario, saying Younis had been "summoned" for questioning on "a military matter," but that he had not yet been questioned when he was killed.

Further complicating matters, another security officer, Fadlallah Haroun, told The Associated Press before Abdul-Jalil's announcement that security had found three badly burned bodies. Two of them were dead and one was unconscious, Fadlallah said, adding that one was known to be Younis, though they didn't know which one.

U.S. and British officials said they were unable to confirm details of the reports but were looking into them.....snip~

Looks like the Libyan Rebels are lying their ass off. Also as Reported thru Reuters the Rebels stated they had take n some towns. But as Reuters Reported they saw no evidence of this. It is has become increasingly clear these Rebels not only lied to the UN and Nato Forces. This whole time they were and have been looking for more support from us. Moreover Qadhafi still has people coming out over 100,000 strong.

The Berbers are not going to stand for any Sunni or Muslim brotherhood to be backing or running anything, if they can oust Qadhafi. Doesnt look like the former ruling Dynasty can even get any backing from the other Berbers, besides whats in the Rebels. How do you think this affect the US now?

How can this President present any justification for involving us in this civil war if the Rebels are going to begin killing each other before they can even take the Country. We have already proven the French and the Brits with their Sunni backers have lied from the get go about Qadhafi committing genocide. It's not Genoicde to kill treasonous scum now is it? Its not genocide to kill rebels that will not surrender, is it now?

Mister D
07-29-2011, 02:12 PM
In terms of population, who has the "hearts and minds", so to speak? Or do we even know. ???

Conley
07-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I imagine they are pretty split as well. It is a civil war after all. Then again who really knows?

Conley
07-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm glad I could add such in-depth analysis and insight into this conflict. :D

Mister D
07-29-2011, 03:14 PM
I imagine they are pretty split as well. It is a civil war after all. Then again who really knows?

I'm just curious if Omar has mass support or is it the the army? A certain class? Urban? Rural? You'd think someone in our intelligence services would have a clue.

MMC
07-29-2011, 06:22 PM

I'm just curious if Omar has mass support or is it the the army? A certain class? Urban? Rural? You'd think someone in our intelligence services would have a clue.

The problem is that most of the country supports Qadhafi, the Afican Union supports Qadhafi, which is why he is called the Brother Leader. The Berbers have no qualms killing Sunni any chance they get. The only ones that are saying he is committing these crimes are the Rebels. Even our own media sources have not produced any genocide that has been talked about. or why the UN is using such as a rational for their Mandate. Their there to stop Qadhafi from killing his own people.

Nothing has added up here other than a chance to get some payback on Qadhafi, while going for his oil fields which support the EU. Both France and Italy lead the charge. Both have disputed pasts with Libya and what they have done in Libya and in the African Continent. Of course the Sunni have always tried to get into Africa Yet for some reason could never get past Egypt. Anyone ever wonder why that was?

Benghazi and the eastern Border by Egypt is where the Rebels have some sort of support. Notice in an area where the Muslim brotherhood has people and the populations are mixed. Also lets not forget one of the rebel factions is being led by a Mujah. Plus no one has validated that AQ is not in the rebels. Or the Islamic Radicals the Maghevrb Tribe. Note: North Africa is also where AQ began and is home.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 07:36 PM

The problem is that most of the country supports Qadhafi, the Afican Union supports Qadhafi, which is why he is called the Brother Leader. The Berbers have no qualms killing Sunni any chance they get. The only ones that are saying he is committing these crimes are the Rebels. Even our own media sources have not produced any genocide that has been talked about. or why the UN is using such as a rational for their Mandate. Their there to stop Qadhafi from killing his own people.

Nothing has added up here other than a chance to get some payback on Qadhafi, while going for his oil fields which support the EU. Both France and Italy lead the charge. Both have disputed pasts with Libya and what they have done in Libya and in the African Continent. Of course the Sunni have always tried to get into Africa Yet for some reason could never get past Egypt. Anyone ever wonder why that was?

Benghazi and the eastern Border by Egypt is where the Rebels have some sort of support. Notice in an area where the Muslim brotherhood has people and the populations are mixed. Also lets not forget one of the rebel factions is being led by a Mujah. Plus no one has validated that AQ is not in the rebels. Or the Islamic Radicals the Maghevrb Tribe. Note: North Africa is also where AQ began and is home.

The AU is a joke. They will support their own. They back Mugabe for God's sake.

OK so the rebel strongholds are close to Egypt. Interesting.

MMC
07-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah and protected by the UN.....all the ground the Rebels gain they have now lost over 20% of it.....they cannot break out of the mountains and even get close to Tripoli. Not to mention there are other tribes not loyal to Qadhafi that have attacked the rebels. Musta been going after the rebels that are not Berbers.....huh? Btw that was in the East too.

If one looks at the map of Libya they are all at the top of the Country. Qadhafi hasn't even retreated to in-country. Thru the desert and to the south. No one hears shit because there is nothing to hear in the South. No Rebels unless closer to Egypt.

Also we do not hear about the mercenaries that have come to Libya to fight against NATO forces. Althought from Tanzania and Somalia they held protests and vowed to march to help their Brother Leader.

NATO is bombing what they can but like I stated before he can hide out with the foreign Journalists from Russia, China, North Korea, Belarus, and any other non-allies of the US. NATO can't bomb them. So he is safe with them.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a real mess. ::)

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I have zero faith in Obama's ability to lead us to a satisfactory resolution.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:13 PM

Did we even need a solution? ???

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Let me add that Egtypt is sort of important but I really don't think Libya is.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:17 PM

Did we even need a solution? ???

There was never any reason to get involved to begin with. Now I don't know what it's going to take for us to leave it alone.

hellraiser
07-29-2011, 11:09 PM
its not up to obama, a lot of people wanted to go to war in libya to help stop the atrocities. but i agree it doesnt look good.

MMC
07-30-2011, 04:13 AM
its not up to obama, a lot of people wanted to go to war in libya to help stop the atrocities. but i agree it doesnt look good.

What do you mean it's not up to Obama? He is the President and since he involved us with NATO with the use of an Executive Order.....he can rescind that order. Simple and get us out of another Iraq before it takes place. Let the French suffer their fate. Proving once again that France just needs to shut the hell up and get ready to pay out to that IMF bailout thats coming for their ass once Spain is done.