PDA

View Full Version : Obama warns 'unelected' supreme court not to strike down healthcare law

Stoney
04-02-2012, 06:44 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/4/2/1333404083723/Barack-Obama-White-House-007.jpg Barack Obama makes remarks during a joint press conference at the White House on Monday. Photograph: Pete Marovich/EPA

Barack Obama (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/barack-obama) has said it would be wrong for the "unelected" supreme court to take the "unprecedented and extraordinary" decision to strike down his signature health care legislation when it was passed by an elected Congress.

The comments suggest the president may make an election issue of those described by Democrats as partisan judges if they throw out the Affordable Care Act following last week's dramatic hearings at which the aggressive tide of questioning from some of the justices suggested that the conservative majority is hostile to the legislation. Their decision is expected in June.

"I am confident that the supreme court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/02/barack-obama-unelected-supreme-court?newsfeed=true

I'm wondering if this SCOTUS is up to being intimidated. Was this a wise move? Of course time will tell. But I'm just wondering.

MMC
04-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Sounds like he is using that bully pulpit to me. Don't know if it will work. I hope it doesn't. Yet while he talks about legislation. Why Didin't someone ask him about Libya and how that applies to him with regards to that Legislation. Plus what about with Syria since Clinton admitted that we were helping the Syrian Rebels inside Syria to evade and avoid Assad's troops?

RollingWave
04-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Isn't that the whole point of the court though, to have learned guys who don't need to worry about elections there to make rational decisions?

personally, the whole healthcare issue in the US have been derailed so far and so lack in consesus that it might as well be dropped, I personally think that in principal a public option make sense, though in the US it was been complicated y far too many other factors.

spunkloaf
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Before I read some of these inflammatory posts and get all pissed off, I'm going to put in my two cents that Obama is putting his foot in his mouth with his "warning." The job of the supreme court is to pass judgment based upon the principles of the constitution ALONE. Not with bias regard to the comments of the POTUS. Obama loses cool points with this.

spunkloaf
04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Ok nothing very inflammatory thus far. Good debate, peoples. :wink:

wingrider
04-03-2012, 01:17 AM
first lets start with a review of what the supreme court is supposed to do:

Interprets the Constitution

Evaluates constitutionality of challenged laws
Hears cases involving the constitution and federal laws on appeal
| President Barack Obama has warned the Supreme Court about the possible overturning of the federal health care overhaul, according to Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/02/obama-confident-supreme-court-will-uphold-health-care-law/). It is not unprecedented for a president to make comments about what the Supreme Court is debating, but his comments point to something unprecedented. As a political scientist, I cannot think of a time when a president made comments to make people think he has no idea how the Constitution works.
Among his comments, President Obama stated how he did not understand how an "unelected group of people" could overturn a law passed by a majority of Congress. It is the job of the Supreme Court to interpret the Constitution and see if particular cases before the justices uphold the content and context of the document. His Oath of Office (http://www.presidentsusa.net/oathofoffice.html) included the words, "protect and defend the Constitution of the United States" so he better have an understanding of the document he is sworn to protect and defend. The "how" he does not understand is the "how" it works.
President Obama went on to say, "I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress." If the Supreme Court strikes down the health care law, it will not be an unprecedented move as the Supreme Court has struck down national laws since the court's inception (http://www.congress.org/news/what-happens-to-laws-that-are-struck-down/). I worry about a president who does not understand the history of the court system.
The second part of the previous statement scares me as well. The president pointed out how the health care law was passed by a majority of elected officials. I believe it would be a good idea for the president to familiarize himself with the classic "How a Bill Becomes a Law." After reading, he should realize all bills need to be passed by a majority of Congress to become law. Can we trust a leader who does not apparently understand the system?
Finally, President Obama stated how the health care law is constitutional. I wonder how he can make this determination on his own as he proved in a few short sentences how he does not understand the content or context of the Constitution. Can we reelect a person who does not understand the basics of U.S. government?

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-proves-does-not-understand-constitution-212200164.html

besides this. the supreme court has struck down other laws that congress has passed. most notable the 18th amendment. I tried to find a list but am at a loss as to how to google it.. when I tried I got quite a few pages discussing the current health care law. maybe one or 2 of you all can do a better job of it than i have..

Stoney
04-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Sounds like he is using that bully pulpit to me. Don't know if it will work. I hope it doesn't. Yet while he talks about legislation. Why Didin't someone ask him about Libya and how that applies to him with regards to that Legislation. Plus what about with Syria since Clinton admitted that we were helping the Syrian Rebels inside Syria to evade and avoid Assad's troops?

He took one question during a recent event that let him to comment on the Travon Martin case. Some might think that questions are planted.

MMC
04-03-2012, 09:59 AM
He took one question during a recent event that let him to comment on the Travon Martin case. Some might think that questions are planted.

Definately by the MS Media Stoney......moreover he knows that the Supreme Court Justices arn't elected as well as he know they are the Check and balance to Congress and HIM. He also already that he can say his HC is Constitutional. That there are others that are legal experts as well who it is Unconstitutional.

He also knows if the Supreme Court Shoots it down. His second term will go down as one of the Worst in this Country's History. I am sure he is quite Concerned about losing the Senate. This is going to happen. Then all that division talk he throws out there. Will be done for the rest of His Presidency.