PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Stands Up for Civil Liberties Again. And Against David Barron

Chris
05-21-2014, 12:23 PM
The more Rand says and stands up for the more I like him as a politician...

Rand Paul Stands Up for Civil Liberties Again. And Against David Barron (http://reason.com/blog/2014/05/21/rand-paul-stands-up-for-civil-liberties)

"I rise today to oppose the nomination of anyone who would argue that the President has the power to kill American citizens not involved in combat," Paul will say on the Senate floor Wednesday. "I rise today to say that there is no legal precedent for killing American citizens not directly involved in combat and that any nominee who rubber stamps and grants such power to a President is not worthy of being placed one step away from the Supreme Court."

...As Paul explained in The New York Times, Barron authored at least two memos justifying the killing by the U.S. government of a U.S. ciitzen abroad. No trial necessary. Paul isn't alone in wanting more information about Barron's role in the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC)....

Paperback Writer
05-21-2014, 12:34 PM
He's prolly just butthurt. It seems all Americans are butthurt.

Cthulhu
05-21-2014, 12:50 PM
He's prolly just butthurt. It seems all Americans are butthurt.

Well, we have good reason to be so. Things when from bad to worse from Bush to Obama. Not that it is directly either of their fault mind you, but as time marches on, American government looks less and less appealing.

midcan5
05-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Rand Paul has become the republican candidate par excellence, he says something sensible on Tuesday only to retract it on Friday. It seems republicans now believe things alternate days, alternate audiences, alternate media outlets. It is funny to watch, but sadly the American voter believes Tuesday a thing, some believe Wednesday and on Friday a different Rand Paul shows up. That may just be his libertarian mind at work, freedom to switch and to switch and to switch. Check his voting instead, will the real Rand Paul please stand up. "Why the heck are you sitting and standing and sitting.....'

"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." Lewis Carroll

Chris
05-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Rand Paul has become the republican candidate par excellence, he says something sensible on Tuesday only to retract it on Friday. It seems republicans now believe things alternate days, alternate audiences, alternate media outlets. It is funny to watch, but sadly the American voter believes Tuesday a thing, some believe Wednesday and on Friday a different Rand Paul shows up. That may just be his libertarian mind at work, freedom to switch and to switch and to switch. Check his voting instead, will the real Rand Paul please stand up. "Why the heck are you sitting and standing and sitting.....'

"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." Lewis Carroll

he says something sensible on Tuesday only to retract it on Friday

Interesting claim the lack of substance of which you try to cover up with BS.

Are you trying to say he promises one thing and fails to deliver on any like Obama? For example: 19 Huge Broken Campaign Promises of President Obama (http://www.ijreview.com/2013/06/58005-president-obamas-broken-campaign-promises/).

texan
05-21-2014, 02:28 PM
I consider the terror threat as serious as combat. I do like Paul and respect his stance, but if you are trying to kill us and get shot doing it to damn bad.

Chris
05-21-2014, 02:33 PM
I consider the terror threat as serious as combat. I do like Paul and respect his stance, but if you are trying to kill us and get shot doing it to damn bad.

As the OP article goes on to explain:

The Fifth Amendment provides that no one can be “deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.” The Sixth Amendment provides that “the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury,” as well as the right to be informed of all charges and have access to legal counsel.

Of course if someone's firing at you you have a right to defend yourself.

Professor Peabody
05-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Rand Paul Stands Up for Civil Liberties Again. And Against David Barron (http://reason.com/blog/2014/05/21/rand-paul-stands-up-for-civil-liberties)

The right to due process is one of the basic rights in the Constitution. The right is even extended to non citizens on U.S. soil legal or not. It most assuredly extends to American Citizens no matter where they are.

Trial in absentia

A person who is subject to criminal proceedings in a court of law but is not physically present at those proceedings is said to have undergone trial in absentia. In absentia is Latin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin) for "in the absence". Its meaning varies by jurisdiction and legal system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_in_absentia

Notify the Yemeni Government that the American Citizen in their country that he will be tried in the U.S. with or without his presence. If he's convicted and sentenced to death.....then send the drone. Obama didn't do that. They chose to be Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Green Arrow
05-21-2014, 02:51 PM

And too damn bad for the innocent people in the way?

donttread
05-21-2014, 04:00 PM

I believe he's the guy if we can get the word out, he's pretty damn hard not to like

Chris
05-21-2014, 04:03 PM
I believe he's the guy if we can get the word out, he's pretty damn hard not to like

The problem will be with establishment GOP types, from social cons to neocons.

Don
05-21-2014, 04:57 PM

And neocon media. They will smear and defame him worse than the left will.

donttread
05-21-2014, 05:24 PM

Maybe he should leave the repubs and run LP

Don
05-21-2014, 05:30 PM

I think many of the repubs should stop pretending they are Republicans and join the Democrats. Better yet, most of the dems and repubs should create a new party called the Progressives and stop stinking up the Democrat and Republican parties. Even better yet we all should shun any politician who belongs to a party at all.

Don
05-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Ted Cruz is also on board with Rand Paul about David Barron.

Cthulhu
05-21-2014, 05:43 PM
I think many of the repubs should stop pretending they are Republicans and join the Democrats. Better yet, most of the dems and repubs should create a new party called the Progressives and stop stinking up the Democrat and Republican parties. Even better yet we all should shun any politician who belongs to a party at all.

There is much win to be had in this statement.

Chris
05-21-2014, 05:49 PM

Yea, I don't know. It's what Should Rand Paul Embrace or Downplay the Libertarian Label? (http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2014/05/19/should-rand-paul-embrace-or-downplay-the-libertarian-label/) asks:

Which raises the question: is it easier to make that sell if Paul embraces his libertarianism or downplays it? That will be one question the 2016 nomination race seeks to answer. It’s easy to see both sides of it. It’s possible that the GOP just isn’t ready to go full libertarian at the presidential level, and therefore downplaying his libertarian label in favor of a more conservative-Republican tag might settle some nerves. Yet it’s also possible that by avoiding the term “libertarian” Paul is implicitly reinforcing the idea that libertarianism is an idea whose time has yet to arrive, thus justifying the suspicions of the establishment.

And Why A ‘Libertarian’ Can Win The GOP Nomination (http://thefederalist.com/2014/05/20/why-a-libertarian-can-win-the-gop-nomination/) answers:

No, you never go full libertarian. Not if you want to win an election. But considering Rand Paul’s name, his ideological tendencies and his on-the-record history of taking uncomfortably libertarian positions, it’s going to be difficult for him to break free no matter what he decides to call himself. And as a practical political matter, there’s really little reason for him to try.