PDA

View Full Version : US, Mexican Leaders Trade Warnings Over Gun Violence.....

MMC
04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) — The explosion of drug-fueled violence along Mexico's border with the United States could harm relations between the two nations, President Barack Obama said Monday; Mexico's leader retorted that much of the problem of drugs and guns begins on the U.S. side of the line.

In the thick of political contests in both the United States and Mexico, Obama and Mexican President Felipe Calderon traded unusually direct claims about the cause and effect of the drug violence that has consumed a swath of northeastern Mexico. They were cordial and complimentary to one another, but did not hide the degree of worry on both sides about a six-year spasm of violence that has killed more than 47,000 people.

The three leaders launched a new bid to pare back regulation and boost North American trade.

After a one-day summit, Obama said the United States has trimmed outdated and burdensome rules in talks with both its neighbors, but all three countries will now go beyond that.
"Our three nations are going to sit down together, go through the books and simplify and eliminate more regulations that will make our joint economies stronger," he said.
Obama noted trade among the three neighbors now tops $1 trillion a year, and he wants to see that number rise. "This is going to help create jobs," he said.
The summit ranged broadly across issues of energy and climate change, immigration and the fight against the drug trade
.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/us-mexican-leaders-trade-warnings-gun-violence-222644118.html;_ylt=AgGt213IfX0c0H9NlKLdfzhvaA8F;_ ylu=X3oDMTNqbmh0dGFrBGNjb2RlA2N0LmMEcGtnAzdjODVkMW JjLWNmMjUtMzJhYS1hZWQ3LTQwY2M0MTI5YjY0YQRwb3MDNARz ZWMDbW9zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHZlcgM5YWIxMDU2MS03ZDI1LTExZT EtYmU3Yy05MzI3NGI0NjAwYjA-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrM25vcXFyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnMEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3
Associated Press – 21 hrs ago<<<<< More Here Way more!

More people have been killed here than all of our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Will this create jobs as they trimmed down the books of regulations? Mexico's Election has started. Isn't the nature of our overall relationship already deteriorated?

Then Calderon was blaming the Republican Party by stating Obama faces internal problems with issues over Gun Control and Assault Weapons.

MMC
04-03-2012, 09:34 PM
http://www.debatepolitics.com/images/smilies/New_Smilies/2bump.gif

MMC
04-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Heya MC.....your take?

Conley
04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Who's the third country mentioned in the article? This seems like a US - Mexico problem at the heart of it.

MMC
04-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Didnt you read the piece to know what 3rd country they were talking about?

Mainecoons
04-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Americans are the biggest consumers of drugs on the planet. That's what drives the whole thing.

There is going to be an election in Mexico this summer. It looks almost certain that the PRI, the party that used to have the sweetheart deal with the narcos, is going to take over. Most people expect them to cut a deal with the main gangs to leave the civilians and government out of it, in return for which there would be a return to the old system where everyone had his turf and anyone who got out of line was dealt with privately and quietly.

The government here isn't nearly strong enought to deal with narco organizations that take in $30 billion per year, most from the Americans. Calderon, a very good fellow in many respects, simply overestimated the ability of the government to deal with the cartels when he bought into the U.S. war on drugs.

Three months after the PRI takes over, it is going to get very quiet in Mexico. The average Mexican really could give a rats whether the cartels sell their crap to the Americans and Canadians as long as they leave the civilians out of it. IMO, that's where it is headed down here.

Vilifier of Zombies
04-04-2012, 01:08 PM

I read about this earlier so I know it's Canada, but your post didn't reference Canada as being the third country, although "neighbors" was a clue [sorry Conley, if you were a Yankees fan you would've already known the answer].

MMC
04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I read about this earlier so I know it's Canada, but your post didn't reference Canada as being the third country, although "neighbors" was a clue [sorry Conley, if you were a Yankees fan you would've already known the answer].

Which is why I asked if he had read the piece first. Nor did the Title mention Canada either.....Correct?

Conley
04-04-2012, 01:23 PM

Ha, yes the Mexicans have an entirely different definition of Yankee than we do. I see now it was about North American trade so obviously Canada. I though the neighbor in question could have been another Central American country affected by the Drug War, but those countries don't get much coverage in the news here.

Conley
04-04-2012, 01:24 PM

My apologies, just trying to add to the discussion you started.

MMC
04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
My apologies, just trying to add to the discussion you started.

No need to apologize to me.....it was just a question I asked.

Conley
04-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Cool.

Vilifier of Zombies
04-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Ha, yes the Mexicans have an entirely different definition of Yankee than we do. I see now it was about North American trade so obviously Canada. I though the neighbor in question could have been another Central American country affected by the Drug War, but those countries don't get much coverage in the news here.

Yep, I'll try to help those that aren't Yankees fans whenever and wherever I can.

Glad to be of service Conley.

Conley
04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Yep, I'll try to help those that aren't Yankees fans whenever and wherever I can.

Glad to be of service Conley.

So do you have a legitimate reason to be a fan of the Evil Empire or do you just like cheering for teams that buy championships? :grin:

dadakarma
04-04-2012, 01:53 PM
So do you have a legitimate reason to be a fan of the Evil Empire or do you just like cheering for teams that buy championships? :grin:

~ En Garde! ~

Vilifier of Zombies
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM

I do.

I grew up an A's fan then the strike in '94 happened then I went on a few deployments then got stationed in Germany for awhile and lost track altogether.

We I came back to the states I was stationed in Washington state, no way I was gonna become a Mariners fan so I put baseball on hold for a little longer.

I'd got out then my wife got orders for West Point, New York to teach. At first I was skeptical, not really sure what to think about the Yankees, I've always known that I despised the Red Sox, I've never really hated the Yankees, I've always appreciated the history of baseball and let's face it, as a kid, the curse of the Bambino was as real as it gets...point is, my first of many Yankees games that I attended at Yankees Stadium I was sold on the Yankees.

Every year that we were there we'd sponsor two or three cadets, mostly football or hockey players every once and awhile we'd get a female cadet, turns out one of them was the daughter of the Yankees PR Director, for seven out of the eleven years we were there I was knee deep in free Yankees tickets, most of 'em good seats.

Conley
04-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Hmm. OK, I'll give you a pass. You're lucky you weren't an A's fan when Jeter made that flip (around :55 in the video) followed by Giambi basically ripping the heart out of Oakland on his way to NY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNyniQ5eCY

That is pretty cool about your sponsorship and the PR director not having a lump of coal where his heart should be.

MMC
04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Still 47k, is a lot of people in 6 years. Who is the party that Calderone belongs to?

Vilifier of Zombies
04-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Hmm. OK, I'll give you a pass. You're lucky you weren't an A's fan when Jeter made that flip (around :55 in the video) followed by Giambi basically ripping the heart out of Oakland on his way to NY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNyniQ5eCY

That is pretty cool about your sponsorship and the PR director not having a lump of coal where his heart should be.

Giambi was on the juice, but then again, so too was McGwire...I still kinda like the A's, when they're not playing the Giants or the Yankees I'll root for 'em, and the Giants (Will Clark) for that matter as well as I was a fan of the Astros (Nolan Ryan, it didn't matter who they were playing so long as Ryan was pitching) growing up, each team had my childhood heros on them.

He was pretty nonchalant about it, "hey, anytime you wanna go to a game, let me know, there will be some tickets for you at the Will Call booth," as a fan of baseball I took him up on his offer and then some. I'll still make the trip even though we've since moved away for the big games, id est, Subway Series or at home Red Sox games.