PDA

View Full Version : New Plant Eats Metal

Guerilla
05-23-2014, 12:50 AM
A new species of plant that eats metal to survive has been discovered in the Philippines.
Rinorea niccolifera eats nickel and is able to consume up to 18,000ppm of the metal in its leaves without being poisoned.

So there's a plant on part of Luzon Island that eats nickel. The dried leaves contain about 2% nickel, much higher than other metal eating plants.

Explaining the terms, the authors note that phytoremediation refers to plants that remove heavy metals from contaminated soils, while phytomining involves using hyperaccumulator plants to recover commercially valuable metals from sites such as Luzon Island.

I think if we searched hard enough, we could find a plant that has molecules or does some function for damn near everything- fuel, medicine, industry in general. And they do it naturally- no pollution. With this plant we can detoxify nickel contaminated land, and mine it from the soil at the same time.

I have a worry that they will mine the plants native land, which is fragmented, and on a small island. They could mine the plants only good soil and ruin it's habitat. We know how short-sighted money can make people. I'm not against using the plant just don't use it irresponsibly. How much do you think people in the Philippines care about that?

Plants are so cool.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/rinorea-niccolifera-plant-eats-metal-survive-160320128.html#mlDTteJ