PDA

View Full Version : The 2016 presidential candidate we need

Chris
05-24-2014, 08:03 AM
George Will at his best, The 2016 presidential candidate we need:

All modern presidents of both parties have been too much with us. Talking incessantly, they have put politics unhealthily at the center of America’s consciousness. Promising promiscuously, they have exaggerated government’s proper scope and actual competence, making the public perpetually disappointed and surly. Inflating executive power, they have severed it from constitutional constraints. So, sensible voters might embrace someone who announced his 2016 candidacy this way:

“I am ambling — running suggests unseemly ardor — for president. It is axiomatic that anyone who nowadays will do what is necessary in order to become president thereby reveals character traits, including delusions of adequacy and obsessive compulsive disorder, that should disqualify him or her from proximity to powers concentrated in the executive branch. Therefore, my campaign will initially consist of driving around the Obnoxiously Entitled Four — Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada — trying to interest their 3.8 percent of America’s population in a minimalist president.

“Candidates are constantly asked, ‘Where will you take the country?’ My answer is: ‘Nowhere.’ The country is not a parcel to be ‘taken’ anywhere. It is the spontaneous order of 316 million people making billions of daily decisions, cooperatively contracting together, moving the country in gloriously unplanned directions.

“To another inane question, ‘How will you create jobs?,’ my answer will be: ‘I won’t.’ Other than by doing whatever the chief executive can to reduce the regulatory state’s impediments to industriousness. I will administer no major economic regulations — those with $100 million economic impacts — that Congress has not voted on. Legislators should be explicitly complicit in burdens they mandate.

Peter1469
05-24-2014, 09:38 AM
The modern American electorate would never vote for what is in its best interests. Nice hair, not fat, and lots of platitudes is all that is needed.

midcan5
05-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Yikes, I thought Will had just a bit of smarts, guess not. Do any republicans know any history at all? Harding Coolidge Hoover, guess what happened? Reagan Clinton Bush, guess what happened? Does this fool really think good things happen because greed becomes the means? I'm not sure whether Benghazi or regulation is the cause of all that is wrong in the world. Is it any wonder republican fail when given the presidency? When your mind contains so few thoughts how do they even find their way home?

Here's a presidential speech from a person who lives in the real world and not the world of a few slogans.

"Now it is time for us to get together and beat the common enemy. And that is up to you.

We have been working together for victory in a great cause. Victory has become a habit of our party. It has been elected four
times in succession, and I am convinced it will be elected a fifth time next November.

The reason is that the people know that the Democratic Party is the people's party, and the Republican Party is the party of
special interest, and it always has been and always will be.

The record of the Democratic Party is written in the accomplishments of the last 16 years. I don't need to repeat them. They
have been very ably placed before this convention by the keynote speaker, the candidate for Vice President, and by the
permanent chairman.

Confidence and security have been brought to the people by the Democratic Party. Farm income has increased from less than
$2 ¼ billion in 1932 to more than $18 billion in 1947. Never in the world were the farmers of any republic or any kingdom or
any other country as prosperous as the farmers of the United States; and if they don't do their duty by the Democratic Party,
they are the most ungrateful people in the world!

Wages and salaries in this country have increased from 29 billion in 1933 to more than $128 billion in 1947. That's labor, and
labor never had but one friend in politics, and that is the Democratic Party and Franklin D. Roosevelt.

And I say to labor what I have said to the farmers: they are the most ungrateful people in the world if they pass the Democratic
Party by this year.

The total national income has increased from less than $40 billion in 1933 to $203 billion in 1947, the greatest in all the history
of the world. These benefits have been spread to all the people, because it is the business of the Democratic Party to see that
the people get a fair share of these things.

This last, worst 80th Congress proved just the opposite for the Republicans.

The record on foreign policy of the Democratic Party is that the United States has been turned away permanently from
isolationism, and we have converted the greatest and best of the Republicans to our viewpoint on that subject.

The United States has to accept its full responsibility for leadership in international affairs. We have been the backers and the
people who organized and started the United Nations, first started under that great Democratic President, Woodrow Wilson,
as the League of Nations. The League was sabotaged by the Republicans in 1920. And we must see that the United Nations
continues a strong and growing body, so we can have everlasting peace in the world.

We removed trade barriers in the world, which is the best asset we can have for peace. Those trade barriers must not be put
back into operation again.

We have started the foreign aid program, which means the recovery of Europe and China, and the Far East. We instituted the
program for Greece and Turkey, and I will say to you that all these things were done in a cooperative and bipartisan manner.
The Foreign Relations Committees of the Senate and House were taken into the full confidence of the President in every one of
these moves, and don't let anybody tell you anything else.

As I have said time and time again, foreign policy should be the policy of the whole Nation and not the policy of one party or
the other. Partisanship should stop at the water's edge; and I shall continue to preach that through this whole campaign.

I would like to say a word or two now on what I think the Republican philosophy is; and I will speak from actions and from
history and from experience.

The situation in 1932 was due to the policies of the Republican Party control of the Government of the United States. The
Republican Party, as I said a while ago, favors the privileged few and not the common everyday man. Ever since its inception,
that party has been under the control of special privilege; and they have completely proved it in the 80th Congress. They
proved it by the things they did to the people, and not for them. They proved it by the things they failed to do.

Now, let's look at some of them--just a few." rest here: http://www.trumanlibrary.org/publicpapers/index.php?pid=1060

Alyosha
05-24-2014, 12:08 PM
midcan5

please make it clear in your posts which are your words and someone else's? Put the quote in a quote box or something.

Chris
05-24-2014, 12:24 PM
midcan5

please make it clear in your posts which are your words and someone else's? Put the quote in a quote box or something.

I don't think any are. Besides I stopped reading at his usual ad hom "Yikes, I thought Will had just a bit of smarts, guess not." WHich is ironic when Will was mainly criticizing Republicans, which says midcan didn't read the OP past "George Will."

Green Arrow
05-24-2014, 12:42 PM
I intend to vote facial hair in 2016. Taft was the last President with facial hair, and that is unacceptable!

Chris
05-24-2014, 12:44 PM
I intend to vote facial hair in 2016. Taft was the last President with facial hair, and that is unacceptable!

So if Hillary grew a beard you'd vote for her!

http://i.snag.gy/KSgll.jpg

Green Arrow
05-24-2014, 01:06 PM
So if Hillary grew a beard you'd vote for her!

http://i.snag.gy/KSgll.jpg

You know, it's bizarre, but she actually looks better with that beard.

darroll
05-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Republicans are for special interest groups.................. Yes..........
Good schools with discipline, lower taxes, less regulations, honest leaders.

Montoya
05-25-2014, 04:21 AM
Hillary Rodham Clinton.

patrickt
05-25-2014, 06:10 AM
Midcan: "The reason is that the people know that the Democratic Party is the people's party, and the Republican Party is the party of
special interest, and it always has been and always will be."

That might be the funniest thing Midcan has ever written. Democrats? The party of Jim Crow and rabid segregationists. Democrats have always been the racists and always will be. Democrats? The party that supports the special interest of unions, trial lawyers, environmental extortionists, and criminals. Democrats? The party that supports Card Check, election fraud, and tyranny. Democrats hate democracy. Always have and always will.

Midcan, do you really believe the nonsense you write?

Peter1469
05-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Do you think her age will disqualify her by that time? Women don't age like men do.

patrickt
05-25-2014, 07:37 AM
I don't think it should. I've know women in their nineties who were mentally sharp and functioned quite well. I think the disqualifications for Hillary Clinton are more personal and should be blamed on her gender.

She didn't choose her gender. She did choose to be a lawyer. Find those billing records yet? How are those investments doing now that your husband isn't governor?

Mainecoons
05-25-2014, 07:39 AM
None of that matters, Patrick, as you are about to watch the leftist media anoint the first woman POTUS just as it anointed the first "black" one.

Watch and learn.

Seriy
05-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Might be before we reach 2016.

Montoya
05-25-2014, 12:03 PM
We need a worker friendly and business tolerant president.

Chris
05-25-2014, 12:27 PM

Cronyism, whether it be to corporations or unions only corrupts the system.

Bob
05-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Midcan: "The reason is that the people know that the Democratic Party is the people's party, and the Republican Party is the party of

That might be the funniest thing Midcan has ever written. Democrats? The party of Jim Crow and rabid segregationists. Democrats have always been the racists and always will be. Democrats? The party that supports the special interest of unions, trial lawyers, environmental extortionists, and criminals. Democrats? The party that supports Card Check, election fraud, and tyranny. Democrats hate democracy. Always have and always will.

Only a fool would believe what Midcan says.

Mini Me
05-26-2014, 02:11 PM
The modern American electorate would never vote for what is in its best interests. Nice hair, not fat, and lots of platitudes is all that is needed.

And ten second sound bites.

If you ever want to learn anything valuable, blow up your TV!
And stay off slanted political forums!

Mini Me
05-26-2014, 02:16 PM
I don't think any are. Besides I stopped reading at his usual ad hom "Yikes, I thought Will had just a bit of smarts, guess not." WHich is ironic when Will was mainly criticizing Republicans, which says midcan didn't read the OP past "George Will."

George Will is BORING!

Even when he writes about baseball(which is my fav sport) he is BORING!

He's just another "stuffed shirt" Ivy League conservative!

I would much rather read Pat Buchannon, as he provides the sizzle and the steak.

Kalkin
05-26-2014, 02:18 PM
I intend to vote facial hair in 2016.
And if Hillary doesn't run?

Mini Me
05-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Republicans are for special interest groups.................. Yes..........
Good schools with discipline, lower taxes, less regulations, honest leaders.

"Honest leaders?" WTF!

I spit out my coffee when you said that!

They aren't leading anything, besides misleading people!

That's comedy gold! Keep it up, I need the laughs!:laughing4:

Perianne
05-26-2014, 02:22 PM
And if Hillary doesn't run?

He said "facial hair", not hairy armpits and legs. :)

Mini Me
05-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Might be before we reach 2016.

I love great propaganda art work!

That should be hanging in the RNC headquarters! Karl Rove would be proud of it. So would Joseph Goebbels!

After all, this is a battle of who can shout the loudest, and lie the most, isn't it?

Mini Me
05-26-2014, 02:33 PM

The president cannot create jobs!

Where are all those jobs the Rethugs promised us? In China?

And Maobama is friendly to multinational corps, and China.

Is that what you mean? LOL<

Montoya
05-26-2014, 03:18 PM

I support President Obama.

Chris
05-26-2014, 03:45 PM

Interesting perspective here: The Hillary-Industrial Complex (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/05/25/the_hillary-industrial_complex_122731.html):

Hillary Clinton is in a pickle. She’s a shoe-in for her party’s presidential nomination because of Barack Obama’s failures. But those failures might keep her from getting the job. Her husband’s “law of politics” is that elections are always about the future, but she’s stuck in the past.

In 2008, Obama pandered to liberal hopes while Clinton appealed to their good sense. Obama promised miracles and magic. Clinton promised more homework.

“Cynicism” was Obama’s real opponent, he explained. And he used Clinton as a stand-in for it. She played her part, pointing out that the Civil Rights Act got through Congress because of LBJ’s hard work, not Martin Luther King’s speeches. She insisted that politics was toil, not performance art.

And, as we have learned from a president who so often thinks giving a speech is a substitute for solving a problem, she had the better argument. One need only look at the reaction from Democrats to President Obama’s handling of the VA scandal to see that even they would trade some inspirational claptrap for a bit more old-fashioned competence.

That attitude helps Clinton immensely. Burned by disappointment, many liberals want to vote with their heads, not their hearts, this time around.

And the Hillary-Industrial Complex is ready to exploit that sentiment....

Green Arrow
05-26-2014, 03:50 PM

So not Hillary, then.

Matty
05-26-2014, 04:03 PM

So the head libtard cannot create jobs but you want the "Rethugs" to do it? Good, we'll elect them and give them the opportunity to clean up this mess the libtards made.

Bob
05-26-2014, 04:10 PM
And now you got the hopeless speak of Dr. Strange-love.

Thanks for your depressing posts my good man.

Mainecoons
05-26-2014, 04:27 PM
With emphasis on the Strange part...

zelmo1234
05-26-2014, 04:36 PM

So you are voting for Hilary then???? :) Oh! that was just not nice on my part but it made me laugh!

zelmo1234
05-26-2014, 04:43 PM

Actually you have to understand that they are not driven by facts and results, once you understand that only good iintentions are important to Democrats everything falls into place.

Fro example Look at the minimum wage argument. They know that it will be harder for younger and unskilled workers to get jobs, they know there will be more automation, off shoring, and higher unemployment. They know that it wall cause inflation! THEY DON'T CARE!

Because it is intended to give people more money and that is compassionate and helps them sleep at night! The FACT that the results are just the opposite of what they intended is not even to be considered in the equation. Only intentions!

Midican and other liberals know that FDR's New Deal policies prolonged the Depression, they know that the Equity in housing Act caused the current recession, THEY DON'T CARE BECASUE THEY WERE DESIGEND TO BE COMPASIONATE! And we al know that they are willing to lie about history!

So when you put those things together. It is a hard argument to win!

zelmo1234
05-26-2014, 04:44 PM

That would not be Hilary. DR Carson would fit that bill!

zelmo1234
05-26-2014, 04:47 PM

Let me ask you? What is the President doing to create jobs? or the environment to create jobs?

Kalkin
05-26-2014, 06:37 PM
He said "facial hair", not hairy armpits and legs. :)
Cankle-hair candidate?

Kalkin
05-26-2014, 06:39 PM
After all, this is a battle of who can shout the loudest, and lie the most, isn't it?
Crap, if you're basing it on lies, Obama will be president for life.

Kalkin
05-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Shocker, that. What if he stops subsidizing you?

lynn
05-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Let me ask you? What is the President doing to create jobs? or the environment to create jobs?

Absolutely nothing! Plenty of things to discourage new jobs from happening. What makes no sense to me is why they are making it difficult for the middle class to stay middle class? Do they only want poor and rich people in society or just rich people and get rid of the rest?

Refugee
05-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Absolutely nothing! Plenty of things to discourage new jobs from happening. What makes no sense to me is why they are making it difficult for the middle class to stay middle class? Do they only want poor and rich people in society or just rich people and get rid of the rest?

It’s not about creating jobs, it’s about creating more welfare to make you dependent on the State. It’s about making everyone equal at the lowest common denominator and a rule by the elite. Those on welfare are obviously the biggest supporters of it.