PDA

View Full Version : Appeals court fires back at Obama's comments on health care case

Stoney
04-03-2012, 09:28 PM
In the escalating battle between the administration and the judiciary, a federal appeals court apparently is calling the president's bluff -- ordering the Justice Department to answer by Thursday whether the Obama Administration believes that the courts have the right to strike down a federal law, according to a lawyer who was in the courtroom.

The order, by a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, appears to be in direct response to the president's comments yesterday about the Supreme Court's review of the health care law (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57408181-503544/obama-supreme-court-overturning-health-care-would-be-unprecedented/). Mr. Obama all but threw down the gauntlet with the justices, saying he was "confident" the Court would not "take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_162-57408827-504564/appeals-court-fires-back-at-obamas-comments-on-health-care-case/

It seems we have a bit of struggle between two of our branches of government.

Conley
04-03-2012, 10:53 PM
This is great news. I'm in favor of any opposition to the executive branch at this point. Every administration seems to usurp more and more power.

wingrider
04-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Good for the court.. They have to answer his challenge and prove to Obama that he isn't the American Dictator, but is an elected Official and is only the head of One branch of the triune system of government.. Wait until November when he loses the senate to republicans and has already lost the house.(2010) He will be the most ineffective president in the History of the United States,

This is exactly what he deserves after 4 years of divisive rhetoric

Conley
04-03-2012, 11:18 PM
The thing is that even with Congress against them now the POTUS can do anything. Start a war without congressional approval against a sovereign nation like Libya? No problem. Throw an American in jail, indefinitelly? NDAA. It's a scary future we are facing.

The more I think about NDAA the more I'm convinced we've moved past the point of no return. There are no 'right hands' for that kind of power, but in the 'wrong hands'...it is all over.

spunkloaf
04-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Good for the court.. They have to answer his challenge and prove to Obama that he isn't the American Dictator, but is an elected Official and is only the head of One branch of the triune system of government.. Wait until November when he loses the senate to republicans and has already lost the house.(2010) He will be the most ineffective president in the History of the United States,

This is exactly what he deserves after 4 years of divisive rhetoric

You're dividing things right here as you speak. You're putting me on the defensive, because I'm a supporter of his.

wingrider
04-04-2012, 01:09 AM
You're dividing things right here as you speak. You're putting me on the defensive, because I'm a supporter of his.
no i am not dividing things.. I am doing my level best to point out the obvious path this could lead to.. look spunk .. I don't care that you support Obama if that is your thing I am cool with it.. so the ball is in your court .. if you believe Obama is correct in challenging the court, then tell my why he is, convince me that he is on the right path , I will read every word you say.

MMC
04-04-2012, 01:33 AM
As will I Spunk! :wink:

Mainecoons
04-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Me too. Where's the beef?