PDA

View Full Version : Book of the Month and Book Club Suggestions

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 01:59 PM
I moved Green Arrow's original thread over but realized it wasn't easy to find.

Use this thread to suggest books for book clubs.

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Libhater

put your suggestions here and see who wants to read them with you.

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Dr. David Duke has two very interesting fact-filled books titled 'Jewish Supremacism' and 'My Awakening' that I would like to explore with other interested parties.

Libhater this is where you can see who wants to join your book club.

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Actually, I could read "Shooter" again if anyone wants to read it and talk about it.

Peter1469
05-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Actually, I could read "Shooter" again if anyone wants to read it and talk about it.

I could read that if there are enough people to make it worth while.

Perianne
05-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Codename, I like manly stuff. Would a girl like "Shooter"?

Bob
05-26-2014, 02:22 PM
How about reading America's 30 years war.

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-30-Years-War-Winning/dp/0895262487

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Codename, I like manly stuff. Would a girl like "Shooter"?

My mom loved it. I think so.

Perianne
05-26-2014, 02:26 PM
My mom loved it. I think so.

Then sign me up. That's three of us. Libhater?

Libhater
05-26-2014, 02:34 PM
How about reading America's 30 years war.

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-30-Years-War-Winning/dp/0895262487

Now that's a book that would spark my interest.

Peter1469
05-26-2014, 02:44 PM
A Country of Vast Designs by Robert Merry would be a good one. It is about the run up to the Mexican - American War and shows how Congress is supposed to work in our Republic. I expect most Americans would not recognize the system.

Green Arrow
05-26-2014, 03:07 PM
"Coolidge" by Amity Schlaes.

Green Arrow
05-26-2014, 08:24 PM
"In Defense of Internment" by Michelle Malkin. It's a perfect example of how much of an evil bitch she is.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 09:16 PM
"In Defense of Internment" by Michelle Malkin. It's a perfect example of how much of an evil bitch she is.

You really don't have a clue.

Perianne
05-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Green Arrow, please don't. This is supposed to be a positive thread with no backbiting.

Green Arrow
05-26-2014, 09:22 PM
@Green Arrow (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=868), please don't. This is supposed to be a positive thread with no backbiting.

Toward other members. Malkin is a public official who wrote a book defending the unconstitutional internment and murder of Japanese-Americans.

Perianne
05-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Toward other members. Malkin is a public official who wrote a book defending the unconstitutional internment and murder of Japanese-Americans.

Okay, sweetie. How about let's only discuss books we might want to read. Because if you don't you will be in big trouble, mister!! :)

Green Arrow
05-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Okay, sweetie. How about let's only discuss books we might want to read. Because if you don't you will be in big trouble, mister!! :)

Lol, okay then. You might like "Coolidge" by Amity Shlaes. Shlaes is a conservative and chairman of the board of the Calvin Coolidge Memorial Foundation. The book is about President Coolidge and how he was the most conservative and small-government President since the founders.

del
05-26-2014, 09:28 PM

malkin isn't a public official

zelmo1234
05-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Well we are in a forum that is primarily about American Politics?

How about we start at the beginning?

http://www.amazon.com/1776-David-McCullough/dp/0743226720

Or we could all drudge through the VA building Codes for Codename. They are some seriously messed up reading??? :)

Green Arrow
05-26-2014, 09:33 PM

She is for the purposes of this forum's rules.

Green Arrow
05-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I love David McCullough. Good choice!

Well we are in a forum that is primarily about American Politics?

How about we start at the beginning?

http://www.amazon.com/1776-David-McCullough/dp/0743226720

Or we could all drudge through the VA building Codes for Codename. They are some seriously messed up reading??? :)

del
05-26-2014, 09:37 PM
She is for the purposes of this forum's rules.

lol

Peter1469
05-26-2014, 10:45 PM

In the legal sense of the word, she is. Public official does not mean politician. It means someone out in the public voluntarily. She makes her money off her face and words.

Perianne
05-26-2014, 11:42 PM
In the legal sense of the word, she is. Public official does not mean politician. It means someone out in the public voluntarily. She makes her money off her face and words.

Public, yes. Official?

Green Arrow
05-26-2014, 11:44 PM
"Cultures of War" by historian John W. Dower is another good one. Dower takes Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima and draws parallels to 9/11 and the War in Iraq.

Bob
05-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Lol, okay then. You might like "Coolidge" by Amity Shlaes. Shlaes is a conservative and chairman of the board of the Calvin Coolidge Memorial Foundation. The book is about President Coolidge and how he was the most conservative and small-government President since the founders.

Amity also wrote "The Forgotten Man. A must read. She takes on a span of history encompassing how the great depression happened and why FDR's policies failed.

Perianne
05-27-2014, 12:18 AM
Just speaking for me, but I don't want to read a history book on policy. I would like to read a story, maybe like "Shooter".

Matty
05-27-2014, 05:34 AM
If you want a good True war story read Blackhawks Down, or Lone Survivor.

del
05-27-2014, 08:01 AM

with all due respect, that's horse shit

a public official has some kind of authority- malkin is a pundit.

frankly, i don't give a rat's ass, but words do, after all, have meanings

pub·lic (pŭb′lĭk)adj.1. Of, concerning, or affecting the community or the people: the public good.
2. Maintained for or used by the people or community: a public park.
3. Capitalized in shares of stock that can be traded on the open market: a public company.
4. Participated in or attended by the people or community: "Opinions are formed in a process of open discussion and public debate" (Hannah Arendt).
5. Connected with or acting on behalf of the people, community, or government: public office.
6. Enrolled in or attending a public school: transit passes for public students.
7. Open to the knowledge or judgment of all: a public scandal.

n.1. The community or the people as a whole.
2. A group of people sharing a common interest: the reading public.
3. Admirers or followers, especially of a famous person. See Usage Note at collective noun (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/collective+noun).

she certainly is public

of·fi·cial (ə-fĭsh′əl)adj.1. Of or relating to an office or a post of authority: official duties.
2. Authorized by a proper authority; authoritative: official permission.
3. Holding office or serving in a public capacity: an official representative.
4. Characteristic of or befitting a person of authority; formal: an official banquet.
5. Authorized by or contained in the U.S. Pharmacopoeia or National Formulary. Used of drugs.

n.1. One who holds an office or position, especially one who acts in a subordinate capacity for an institution such as a corporation or governmental agency.
2. Sports A referee or umpire.

[From Middle English, ecclesiastical officer, from Old French, from Latin officiālis, an attendant of an office, from officium, duty, service; see office.

she's definitely not official

i'll look forward to more redefinitions of common phrases as needs must lol

Paperback Writer
05-27-2014, 08:23 AM
I don't intend to read books by raging mentals like Malkin or Duke. I don't want to be seen in a discussion group blathering on about Duke's bizarre obsession with race. If you wish to placate libhater's hurt feelings do as you must. I refuse to be a part of dissecting humans according to skin pigment.

It's undignified.

Libhater
05-27-2014, 02:19 PM
I don't intend to read books by raging mentals like Malkin or Duke.

Who cares what you read?....Nobody...that's who! And David Duke has a Doctorate degree and Michelle Malkin has authored a few books herself.

I don't want to be seen in a discussion group blathering on about Duke's bizarre obsession with race. If you wish to placate libhater's hurt feelings do as you must. I refuse to be a part of dissecting humans according to skin pigment.

Duke doesn't have any more of an obsession with race than does Obama. Looks like the only one around here who has his feelings hurt is you. Suck it up pal!

Peter1469
05-27-2014, 04:14 PM
No it isn't. It is first year law school stuff, and frankly I thought general knowledge. I guess not.

with all due respect, that's horse shit

a public official has some kind of authority- malkin is a pundit.

frankly, i don't give a rat's ass, but words do, after all, have meanings

she certainly is public

she's definitely not official

i'll look forward to more redefinitions of common phrases as needs must lol

Matty
05-27-2014, 04:28 PM
No it isn't. It is first year law school stuff, and frankly I thought general knowledge. I guess not.

Well Perer? What can Malkin officially do? What policy does she set? I guess I"m guilty of not understanding "official" also.

Libhater
05-27-2014, 04:29 PM
7652Here's my latest suggestion for a good read:

'party of one'....the loners' manifesto by anneli rufus

Her book 'party of one' is about our subculture--the subculture that will never, by nature, join hands and whose voices will never, by nature, form a chorus. Some loners are sculptors and some are office cleaners. Some loners are neuroscientists and some are surfers and some are survivor fans. Some are law students.

No two loners are alike, but all of us have one thing in common: We like to be alone. We like it. Everyone else--non-loners, that is--can't stand to be alone. They squirm. They feel ashamed. They yearn for company when they're alone. They're bored and don't know what to do. They're lonely. We're not.

Maybe we're not holed up in caves all day, or in submarines like Captain Nemo in his Nautilus. But alone we feel most normal. Most ourselves. Most alive.

Mainstream culture loves non-loners. Joiners, schmoozers, teamworkers, congregants and all those who play well with others scoop up the rewards.

Meanwhile, loners get dissed. All the time. At school, at work, at church or temple, in movies, loners are misunderstood, misjudged, loathed, pitied, and feared. Reporters and profilers calmly and constantly call us perverts, losers, stalkers, and serial killers.

Non-loners call loners crazy. Cold. Stuck-up. Standoffish. Selfish. Sad. Bad. Secretive. But we know being a loner isn't about hating people. It's about essence, about necessity. We need what others dread. We dread what others need.

Famous loners span every era, every realm. Albert Einstein, Ann Rice, Michelangelo, Barry Bonds, Isaac Newton, Franz Kafka, Stanley Kubrick, Janet Reno, John Lennon, James Michener, Emily Dickinson, Alexander Pope, Herman Hesse, Paul Westerberg, Georgia O'Keeffe, Kurt Cobain, Haruki Murakami, Gustav Klimt, Charles Schultz, Dan Cloves, Piet Mondrain, Saint Anthony, H.P. Lovecraft, Beatrix Potter, and Joe DiMaggio.

Not to mention Superman, Batman and Shiva.

So--as the pickpockets sang in the musical Oliver!--consider yourself one of us.

Peter1469
05-27-2014, 04:51 PM
For the love of God. I told you what the law is. I don't care if you don't understand it.

Well Perer? What can Malkin officially do? What policy does she set? I guess I"m guilty of not understanding "official" also.

del
05-27-2014, 04:52 PM

that definition must be unique to your law school.

probably why it isn't *general knowledge*

carry on

Peter1469
05-27-2014, 04:56 PM
that definition must be unique to your law school.

probably why it isn't *general knowledge*

carry on

Don't make your education level so obvious.

Common Sense
05-27-2014, 05:00 PM
A book everyone should read...

Paris 1919

http://www.amazon.ca/Paris-1919-Months-Changed-World/dp/0375760520

http://www.ralphmag.org/BS/paris-1919-cov323x482.gif

del
05-27-2014, 05:07 PM

i'm sure you'll be able to provide a cite from black's or an equivalent, *counselor*?

Peter1469
05-27-2014, 05:13 PM
public figure n. in the law of defamation (libel and slander), a personage of great public interest or familiarity like a government official, politician, celebrity, business leader, movie star, or sports hero. Incorrect harmful statements published about a public figure cannot be the basis of a lawsuit for defamation unless there is proof that the writer or publisher intentionally defamed the person with malice (hate). (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Public+Figure)

Perianne
05-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Well now, Peter. I didn't know that. It is not common knowledge.

Perianne
05-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Well now, Peter. I didn't know that. It is not common knowledge.

Wait a minute. You said public official, which is different from public figure. I didn't read your definition correctly the first time.

del
05-27-2014, 06:15 PM

a public figure isn't a public official, although a public official could also be a public figure, as your definition shows.

as i said, words have meaning.

counselor

Peter1469
Wait a minute. You said public official, which is different from public figure. I didn't read your definition correctly the first time.

public figure is the legal term of art.

Matty

well we aren't all lawyers, so there's that. but that's okay. As far as I'm concerned she has an opinion and she officially doesn't make policy.

Perianne
05-27-2014, 06:17 PM
public figure is the legal term of art.
Peter1469 "legal term of art"? What does that mean?

del
05-27-2014, 06:18 PM
@Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10) "legal term of art"? What does that mean?

whatever he wishes

Peter1469
05-27-2014, 06:19 PM
@Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10) "legal term of art"? What does that mean?

A word or phrase that has special meaning in a particular context.
(http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Term+of+Art)
(http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Term+of+Art)A term of art is a word or phrase that has a particular meaning. Terms of art abound in the law. For example, the phrase double jeopardy can be used in common parlance to describe any situation that poses two risks. In the law, (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Term+of+Art)Double Jeopardy (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Double+Jeopardy) refers specifically to an impermissible second trial of a defendant for the same offense that gave rise to the first trial. (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Term+of+Art)

Peter1469
05-27-2014, 06:20 PM
You should remember the concept from your military days, no?

whatever he wishes

Green Arrow
05-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Public figure! That's the word I was looking for.

Perianne
05-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Public figure! That's the word I was looking for.

public figure is the legal term of art. :)

del
05-27-2014, 06:26 PM
You should remember the concept from your military days, no?

most of the officers with whom i served were competent, so i wasn't taught to play bullshit games nor to refuse to admit when i was wrong, but i certainly remember those who did.

why do you ask?

Libhater
05-27-2014, 06:30 PM

Great read concerning the racial history of America and the One World Order of the Zionist Cabal:

"My Awakening" by Dr. David Duke

Peter1469
05-27-2014, 06:36 PM
most of the officers with whom i served were competent, so i wasn't taught to play bullshit games nor to refuse to admit when i was wrong, but i certainly remember those who did.

why do you ask?

Do you recall any phrases that meant something special to your military specialty? You know, a term of art?

del
05-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Do you recall any phrases that meant something special to your military specialty? You know, a term of art?

indeed i do

i also know the difference between a public figure and a public official, my glaring academic deficiencies notwithstanding

Perianne
05-27-2014, 06:51 PM
I am as lost in the legal field as most people would be in the medical field. I defer to Peter.

Green Arrow
05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Kinda like me in mathematics :tongue:

Mister D
05-27-2014, 08:06 PM

Great read concerning the racial history of America and the One World Order of the Zionist Cabal:

"My Awakening" by Dr. David Duke

My Awakening? He was a neo-Nazi before I was born.

Codename Section
05-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Does anybody care what the word is, like besides the people making a huge deal out of it in this thread? We all know what was meant and I don't think anyone actually wants to read either of the "public figures" books.

Like why waste people's time skipping your posts so you argue over capitalization, typos, word choices, etc. It doesn't make anyone look smarter but annoys the hell out of people like me who can't stand petty bullshit.

Here's the real question: Who wants to read either David Duke or Malkin? I sure don't.

Perianne
05-27-2014, 08:13 PM
I vote for "Shooter". Is it a book about the guy in Happy Gilmore?

(sorry. Bad joke.)

Peter1469
05-27-2014, 08:18 PM
My Awakening? He was a neo-Nazi before I was born.

Of course he was. I was born nearby and grew up with his flock. Because I resemble an Aryan god they felt free to speak freely around me. They made me sick.

Peter1469
05-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Maybe we should consider the Great Gatsby next? It is a classic. And it begs for an economic analysis.

Does anybody care what the word is, like besides the people making a huge deal out of it in this thread? We all know what was meant and I don't think anyone actually wants to read either of the "public figures" books.

Like why waste people's time skipping your posts so you argue over capitalization, typos, word choices, etc. It doesn't make anyone look smarter but annoys the hell out of people like me who can't stand petty bullshit.

Here's the real question: Who wants to read either David Duke or Malkin? I sure don't.

del
05-27-2014, 08:35 PM
unbroken is an excellent book

http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World-Survival-Resilience-Redemption/dp/1400064163

del
05-27-2014, 09:11 PM
this too

http://www.amazon.com/The-Righteous-Mind-Politics-Religion/dp/0307455777

Libhater
05-27-2014, 09:34 PM

Well, no one is ever going to accuse you of having an open mind. Its your kind of attitude along with your misunderstanding and or perhaps your inability to cope with race issues that is the problem here; and the problem is all yours.
When people can't or won't read up on the other side or listen to the opposing opinions of an issue, then one is led to believe that person doesn't know his ass from his elbow.
For example, I for one will watch and listen to the horrible MSNBC parade out one liberal hack after another giving their progressive take on every current issue. I even read books by liberal authors in order to educate myself to the opposing anti American progressive pabulum rhetoric.

What are you afraid of by a reading of a Duke or a Malkin book? You sound like a little boy who didn't get his tootsie roll. And what do have against trying to save the WHITE race from extinction? Merely talking about it seems to scare you away.

Paperback Writer
05-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Well, no one is ever going to accuse you of having an open mind. Its your kind of attitude along with your misunderstanding and or perhaps your inability to cope with race issues that is the problem here; and the problem is all yours.
When people can't or won't read up on the other side or listen to the opposing opinions of an issue, then one is led to believe that person doesn't know his ass from his elbow.
For example, I for one will watch and listen to the horrible MSNBC parade out one liberal hack after another giving their progressive take on every current issue. I even read books by liberal authors in order to educate myself to the opposing anti American progressive pabulum rhetoric.

What are you afraid of by a reading of a Duke or a Malkin book? You sound like a little boy who didn't get his tootsie roll. And what do have against trying to save the WHITE race from extinction? Merely talking about it seems to scare you away.

I'm not afraid of poo. I don't want to handle it, however.

Do shut up about this nonsense with Duke. No one but you wants to read it, and I'm leaning towards your not really wanting to read it either.

Libhater
05-27-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm not afraid of poo. I don't want to handle it, however.

Do shut up about this nonsense with Duke. No one but you wants to read it, and I'm leaning towards your not really wanting to read it either.

Oh, so now you speak for everyone? Looks like another one who can't or won't read facts about our racial problems.

Paperback Writer
05-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Oh, so now you speak for everyone?

I speak for sensible people, yes.

Libhater
05-27-2014, 09:52 PM
I speak for sensible people, yes.

You then speak for close-minded people.

Paperback Writer
05-27-2014, 09:57 PM
You then speak for close-minded people.

Has nothing to do with close-minded. I've read Mein Kampf. Didn't burn my eyes out or anything. I've no patience for your buffoonery and mockery of good people's time.

Libhater
05-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Has nothing to do with close-minded. I've read Mein Kampf. Didn't burn my eyes out or anything. I've no patience for your buffoonery and mockery of good people's time. You read Mein Kamph. Gold star of david for you. Look, I realize there are a lot of closed-minded people around who either have no interest in learning facts about race relations or have this WHITE guilt over our slave history as a nation to where they won't read or discuss race under any circumstance. There are also those of you who have this pre-conditioned notion that anything Duke says or does has to come from a racist mindset. I get it.....this book wouldn't do anything for a person having a closed vitriol speaking mind. So I'll mark you as a no show for membership in my ever exciting book club. Perhaps you'll see why the other book I offer here...'party of one' makes so much sense. I wonder with so many anti Christians around here if I would receive as much consternation had I offered the reading of the BIBLE? Food for thought my good man.