PDA

View Full Version : Google Unveils Self-Driving Car, No Steering Wheel

GrassrootsConservative
05-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Or brake pedals, or accelerator.

A two-seater prototype of the vehicle was unveiled Tuesday by Google CEO Sergey Brin during an onstage interview at the Recode Code Conference in Palos Verdes, Calif. Instead of the car (http://www.cnet.com/topics/car-tech/) controls indispensable to today's drivers, Google's prototype relies on built-in sensors and a software system to safely maneuver the vehicle."We took a look from the ground up of what a self-driving car would look like," Brin said.
The goal of the project is for self-driving cars to be "significantly" safer than human-driven cars in a few years, Brin said. He said that that the project has experienced no crashes during testing, but the cars only operate at speeds of around 25 miles per hour, which gives them more time to react to obstacles.

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-unveils-self-driving-car-sans-steering-wheel/

Pretty cool, and I've got to think it's "driving" :drumdude:towards a safer future for America's roads. That is, if our government lets us have them.

Also, it looks like something straight out of a cartoon, complete with a front that just HAS to be trying to look like a face.

Captain Obvious
05-28-2014, 10:42 AM
All optional equipment on standard cars too, btw.

Peter1469
05-28-2014, 03:55 PM
I don't think that I will ever trust them. Especially if there is no manual override possible.

Polecat
05-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Google is starting to scare me. They are way deep into too much high tech shit. I say let them finish off Bill Gates then break them apart like AT&T in the 70's. ........yeah.....that didn't really work did it?

Mr. Mensch
05-29-2014, 07:40 AM
http://i.imgur.com/x3p8HCkl.jpg

Captain Obvious
05-29-2014, 08:22 AM
I don't think that I will ever trust them. Especially if there is no manual override possible.

Agreed.

We over-think things now, cars are impossible to fix/maintain because of all the crap we keep adding to them every year. And people become reliant on this shit which doesn't teach people basic common sense driving skills - like pumping your brakes on ice. Antilock brakes don't stop you faster, they keep you under control as you're maneuvering through the trees or whatever. Pumping your brakes will stop you faster.

It's why I drive a truck. My F-250 has roll-up windows, no carpeting. No muss, no fuss. Has AC, wish it had a CD player but fuck it.

Mr. Mensch
05-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Agreed.

We over-think things now, cars are impossible to fix/maintain because of all the crap we keep adding to them every year. And people become reliant on this shit which doesn't teach people basic common sense driving skills - like pumping your brakes on ice. Antilock brakes don't stop you faster, they keep you under control as you're maneuvering through the trees or whatever. Pumping your brakes will stop you faster.

It's why I drive a truck. My F-250 has roll-up windows, no carpeting. No muss, no fuss. Has AC, wish it had a CD player but fuck it.

I thought that was you I saw the other day!

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607998800402058084&pid=15.1

Peter1469
05-29-2014, 09:00 AM
When I was enlisted I bought a 1975 280Z for $2500 cash. It was a fix-er-upper, but I could fix it up on my own. I open the hood to my 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid and then close the hood.... A lesser man would feel inadequate. I just remember the good old days.

Agreed.

Mr. Mensch
05-29-2014, 09:02 AM
When I was enlisted I bought a 1975 280Z for $2500 cash. It was a fix-er-upper, but I could fix it up on my own. I open the hood to my 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid and then close the hood.... A lesser man would feel inadequate. I just remember the good old days.

That's why you should consider getting a car that includes all the maintenance that is required. No muss, no fuss.