PDA

View Full Version : Middle School Teacher Suspended For Showing Video About White Actor Wearing Blackface

Mr. Mensch
06-02-2014, 07:26 AM
A middle school history teacher in small-town southeastern Michigan has been placed on paid administrative leave because he informed students that white entertainers used to paint their faces black to imitate black people and showed kids a video about it.

The suspension occurred after an assistant principal observed Barron teaching an eighth-grade class. Barron’s topic for the day was racial segregation laws during the Jim Crow era. The lesson included a video which showed how white actors commonly used theatrical makeup known as blackface — a practice which began in the nineteenth century and lasted over 100 years.

The unidentified assistant principal concluded that Barron’s lesson about how entertainers used to be racist was itself racist.

http://news.yahoo.com/middle-school-teacher-suspended-showing-video-white-actors-122027921.html;_ylt=A0LEV1.na4xTRk0A2KhXNyoA;_ylu= X3oDMTEzdTE3cnU0BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dG lkA1ZJUDQwMl8x

So now discussing racism is racist. WTF?

https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608022701895715267&pid=15.1

Codename Section
06-02-2014, 07:39 AM
Everybody is race sensitive. It's just stupid but there it is. You're a little race sensitive, too, for example. We can't help it. The government and media have been making victimization attractive.

We're moving away from the Nietzsche/Conan the Barbarian individualism and ubermensch and into collectivization and sameness. First they group you, then they weaken you, then they absolve you of uniqueness.

Mr. Mensch
06-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Everybody is race sensitive. It's just stupid but there it is. You're a little race sensitive, too, for example. We can't help it. The government and media have been making victimization attractive.

We're moving away from the Nietzsche/Conan the Barbarian individualism and ubermensch and into collectivization and sameness. First they group you, then they weaken you, then they absolve you of uniqueness.

Translation: People are idiots.

Codename Section
06-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Translation: People are idiots.

It's everywhere and pushed at you at all times. It's why I don't watch TV anymore. I'm less angry, less controlled.

Mr. Mensch
06-02-2014, 07:43 AM
It's everywhere and pushed at you at all times. It's why I don't watch TV anymore. I'm less angry, less controlled.

People say that we need to discuss race, but it is a trap because all some of them want to do is twist your words and trap you. These "witch-hunts" are only going to drive the true racists underground and make people less likely to move beyond the issues.

donttread
06-02-2014, 07:46 AM
A middle school history teacher in small-town southeastern Michigan has been placed on paid administrative leave because he informed students that white entertainers used to paint their faces black to imitate black people and showed kids a video about it.

The suspension occurred after an assistant principal observed Barron teaching an eighth-grade class. Barron’s topic for the day was racial segregation laws during the Jim Crow era. The lesson included a video which showed how white actors commonly used theatrical makeup known as blackface — a practice which began in the nineteenth century and lasted over 100 years.

The unidentified assistant principal concluded that Barron’s lesson about how entertainers used to be racist was itself racist.

http://news.yahoo.com/middle-school-teacher-suspended-showing-video-white-actors-122027921.html;_ylt=A0LEV1.na4xTRk0A2KhXNyoA;_ylu= X3oDMTEzdTE3cnU0BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dG lkA1ZJUDQwMl8x

So now discussing racism is racist. WTF?

https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608022701895715267&pid=15.1
Freakin idiots. I wonder if the class would have been "racist" if it were taught by a black man or a brown woman?

zelmo1234
06-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Think about it, kids get expelled for pointing there finger at someone in the shape of a gun, I a child's mother forgets and sends a knife to cut the birthday cake in with a child the child is expelled.

A kid during hunting seasons forgets that his rifle is in the trunk goes to the office to confess and gets expelled and arrested

Why would they not go after a History Teacher that was actually teaching history! Racism is part of every nations in the worlds history!

What you are seeing is liberals trying to control speech and education of what is the real history of the USA in favor of their agenda driven rewrite!

This is something that the ACLU could be all over and the State board of Educations should step in and fire the administrator.

Until the people that make these stupid decisions are punished and shamed? It will continue to the ruin of the USA

Mr. Mensch
06-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Freakin idiots. I wonder if the class would have been "racist" if it were taught by a black man or a brown woman?

Of course not! Only non-whites can address issues of racism in this country. It is the trap that Liberals have set.

Alyosha
06-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Public school is a tool of the establishment. Anyone who hates the direction the country is headed in should homeschool or send their kids to private school.

zelmo1234
06-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Public school is a tool of the establishment. Anyone who hates the direction the country is headed in should homeschool or send their kids to private school.

This is why it is imperative that we get a voucher system, state my state!

otherwise those without means will be forced into and indoctrination instead of educational system!

With vouchers, it is possible for everyone to send there kids to a better school

Common Sense
06-02-2014, 08:11 AM
That's just dumb. Bad call by the assistant VP.

Mr. Mensch
06-02-2014, 08:12 AM

And when people want to homeschool their kids, you liberals call them wackos. You can't stand it when people don't want to submit their kids to left wing brainwashing.

If you can't see the issue with this teacher being suspended for having a lesson on racism, then you are beyond all help.

Alyosha
06-02-2014, 08:19 AM
And when people want to homeschool their kids, you liberals call them wackos. You can't stand it when people don't want to submit their kids to left wing brainwashing.

If you can't see the issue with this teacher being suspended for having a lesson on racism, then you are beyond all help.
Mr. Mensch

knock it off. You told me, someone who is an ethnic Jew, that I didn't defend an old white Jewish guy, although if you reread that I did. You just told me that I am a liberal that would protest people who didn't want leftwing brain washing when I am a libertarian.

You should engage people in what they say instead of jumping to conclusions and labeling.

del
06-02-2014, 08:21 AM
@Mr. Mensch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=821)

knock it off. You told me, someone who is an ethnic Jew, that I didn't defend an old white Jewish guy, although if you reread that I did. You just told me that I am a liberal that would protest people who didn't want leftwing brain washing when I am a libertarian.

You should engage people in what they say instead of jumping to conclusions and labeling.

that's just crazy talk

1751_Texan
06-02-2014, 10:02 AM

If one's children and thier education are invloved...why would it matter what anyone calls them?

Please don't tell me you believe that parents don't homeschool because they fear liberals will call them wackos...

Alyosha
06-02-2014, 10:08 AM
If one's children and thier education are invloved...why would it matter what anyone calls them?

Please don't tell me you believe that parents don't homeschool because they fear liberals will call them wackos...

No. He knows it's laziness and the love of money. People don't want to live in a small house so that one parent can stay home. They feel they are entitled to suburban living because television tells them they are.

Everything good comes with a sacrifice.

Captain Obvious
06-02-2014, 10:09 AM
@Mr. Mensch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=821)

You're engaging an intellectual zombie.

Does anyone know the actual context this guy showed this video in? The claim is that he was showing how segments of our society were supposedly racist but maybe he was just being a douchebag wanting attention whore pulling a stunt.

You know, like an ex-member's use of the term "negro" and argument that it's a mainstream term.

Dark Mistress
06-02-2014, 10:09 AM
In a meeting yesterday our discussion turned to schooling and Common Core. The president of the auxillary I am in is a teacher at a charter school and is fairly disgusted with Common Core. Went on about how she has to re-teach and undo the math that students have been learning up to this point. They have been doing the Common Core testing in her classroom and she said it took them 2 1/2 weeks with about an hour to 2 hours everyday just for the testing. She is not allow to know the questions on the tests but her students were a bit dumbfounded as to why they were asked our of 5 constitutional amendments which would they do away with. There were also additional opinion questions on segregation and integration. She says that from what she can see these tests are designed to show the elite students. Those students who stand out and excel.

She then relayed a dream she had had where the President of the CES (Church Education System for the LDS church) had called her saying that they needed teachers for a church run school because we as Members, were no longer safe getting their education in the Public Sector. The LDS church already runs schools down in the Mormon colonies. I do wonder if we will see that expand as time rolls on.

Boy did I get that "look" when I tell people I am home schooling my kids. I live in Mormonville. Almost everyone I know is a stay-at-home mom. Almost all say I just couldn't ever do that. I can't help but think you're their parent who better to teach them. It is entrusted with the parents to teach our children the gospel why not their academics as well? I am not a patient person. I have worked really hard and will have to continue to work hard to teach my kids. I get frustrated easily and my one very tender-hearted child starts crying when he sees me get worked up even if I am not yelling. It breaks my heart to see this. I know that I can do better and improve because I am doing for them. We will start every school session with a prayer and may even need prayers while we go so that I can be calm. We do that now when the need arises.

Alyosha
06-02-2014, 10:12 AM
You're engaging an intellectual zombie.

Does anyone know the actual context this guy showed this video in? The claim is that he was showing how segments of our society were supposedly racist but maybe he was just being a douchebag wanting attention whore pulling a stunt.

You know, like an ex-member's use of the term "negro" and argument that it's a mainstream term.

Actually it used to be a standard lesson in Michigan. We saw old movies where white people put on black face to look black, or drew on "slanty eyes" to be an asian, etc because no one wanted actual blacks or Asians or native Americans in movies.

I don't see the problem with it, but people are always looking to be outraged, I guess.

Dark Mistress
06-02-2014, 10:15 AM

I don't fear liberals, but it is hard to go into something where you feel you may have no support. I daresay I am a fairly weak individual and others opinions tend to get to me. Especially the opinion of those whom I love and whose counsel I seek. Conservatives call homeschoolers wackos as well. I have had those discussions. I have had one of my best friends tell me, "Please, don't homeschool your kids." My mother tells me over and over again how "hard" it's going to be. Yeah, I am sure it will be. She thinks I doing them a disservice by not putting them in public school. I feel I would be doing them the disservice by continuing their education in the Public Education System.

I am sure I would fare much better in life if I didn't care what people think; I am still working on that one.

Codename Section
06-02-2014, 10:16 AM
I don't fear liberals, but it is hard to go into something where you feel you may have no support. I daresay I am a fairly weak individual and others opinions tend to get to me. Especially the opinion of those whom I love and whose counsel I seek. Conservatives call homeschoolers wackos as well. I have had those discussions. I have had one of my best friends tell me, "Please, don't homeschool your kids." My mother tells me over and over again how "hard" it's going to be. Yeah, I am sure it will be. She thinks I doing them a disservice by not putting them in public school. I feel I would be doing them the disservice by continuing their education in the Public Education System.

I am sure I would fare much better in life if I didn't care what people think; I am still working on that one.

Join the marines for four years. It will get knocked out of you in boot camp.

Captain Obvious
06-02-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't think blackface is inherently racist either, it depends on how it's done.

Dark Mistress
06-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Join the marines for four years. It will get knocked out of you in boot camp.

I still want a soul, though. Hehe
Joking aside, I think a lot of other things would get knocked out of me in boot camp. Things that I need. Attributes that I was blessed with. Compassion being one.

There is a voice in my head that I haven't figured out how to evict yet. Trouble is, she is very dear to me.

Bob
06-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Very well put.

How many of you believe that when they are done with their changes, this country will still be free?

I allow an attorney to come to my office on weekends and some Mondays where he does work. I talked to him sunday and told him that in DC, they are up to 2.63 million law books. Can you imagine 2.63 million laws?

Multiply that by books. We are being bound as a spider binds an insect for a snack when the spider wishes a snack.

Who binds us?

Government

What caused that teacher to be suspended.

Government

We have not seen the worst. That is our future.

The Wash
06-02-2014, 11:55 AM

I don't think it does anybody any favors to play this game. There is a lot of racist garbage in the world but this is not an example of it. When you constantly cry wolf people stop listening.

Refugee
06-03-2014, 04:33 AM
I think there are many problems with the way racism is seen and defined. It’s now seen as a political football, with something akin to a competition for who can be the most colour blind. For the ones who remember the story about the ‘King with no clothes’, you’ll know what I mean.

Political correctness forbids the use of the ‘N’ word to a majority group, but allows a minority to use it to describe themselves. That’s cultural Marxism. It also allows a minority to both practice and promote homosexuality, but in disagreement it labels the user as opposing a group, not necessarily a practice and attaches the label, homophobic.

The problem with defining thought is that with it comes politically correct language. In time, not only do we all speak the same, we begin to think the same. We begin to sound like robots, picking and choosing our words carefully, unable to offer our own interpretations of what has been given us.

For instance, when the word slavery is brought up, people automatically now think, black – white. Slavery was a business and America was simply the end user. African blacks themselves sold each other into slavery, transported by the British back to western UK ports and from there shipped to America. Did America really abolish slavery? No, a man called Wilberforce abolished it in the UK long before America did and slavery is still alive and strong in the world today. Although all countries have abolished it, it remains a big problem in countries like India, Pakistan, S. E. Asia, parts of Africa . . . Yet that’s hardly mentioned in passing because it doesn’t suit the black – white agenda.

Slavery isn’t anything new and definitely not black – white. The Romans two thousand years ago had slaves from the UK, there’s nothing racist about it; it was always the natural order of affairs in the world. Blaming a minority group’s misfortunes today on racism is like white Americans blaming their transportation to the colonies two hundred years ago. Yet it suits progressive ideology to separate into groups and blame the dominant group for the misfortune of others. Separate and divide, introduce a political slant, get consensual conformity through peer pressure and you can re-write history and apportion blame.

That I think will be the problem with home schooling. You may set the curriculum, but a liberal establishment will set the examinations. You wouldn’t be able to pass examinations today from what we were taught 50 years ago; Nationalism has moved to patriotism and onto globalism. Colonialism is now a dirty word and Mandella is a role model, not a former terrorist. The world is changing and liberal history along with it.

kilgram
06-03-2014, 04:55 AM
I've been educated my whole life in public schools and I am anti-establishment :)

kilgram
06-03-2014, 04:57 AM
This is why it is imperative that we get a voucher system, state my state!

otherwise those without means will be forced into and indoctrination instead of educational system!

With vouchers, it is possible for everyone to send there kids to a better school
And do you think that they will be not indoctrinating? LOL

In Spain we have voucher system. And you know what? There is where the indoctrination is greater.

Adelaide
06-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Teachers have a pre-determined curriculum which they are meant to follow, which generally means the same books and movies across the board. This teacher may have had good intentions, but it could have all been avoided had they asked for permission first. It's just the way that it works. I had some pretty whacky history and social science teachers in high school and they got away from the curriculum at times, but I'm positive they asked for permission for some of the shenanigans that took place. I mean, when learning about cult of personality, we had to create our own dictators who had to hate certain groups/minorities and we had to provide reasons and fake propaganda for the reason to hate those people. They basically told us to be as racist and demonstrate as much bigotry as possible to make a point about how easy it is to create propaganda and reasons for a group of people to follow a leader and hate whichever group that leader does not like. Another teacher took a class to NYC to protest Bush (it was a current events class). You can do questionable things, but get permission first.

Peter1469
06-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Why would any school system give a teacher permission to take students to NYC to protest Bush.

Teachers have a pre-determined curriculum which they are meant to follow, which generally means the same books and movies across the board. This teacher may have had good intentions, but it could have all been avoided had they asked for permission first. It's just the way that it works. I had some pretty whacky history and social science teachers in high school and they got away from the curriculum at times, but I'm positive they asked for permission for some of the shenanigans that took place. I mean, when learning about cult of personality, we had to create our own dictators who had to hate certain groups/minorities and we had to provide reasons and fake propaganda for the reason to hate those people. They basically told us to be as racist and demonstrate as much bigotry as possible to make a point about how easy it is to create propaganda and reasons for a group of people to follow a leader and hate whichever group that leader does not like. Another teacher took a class to NYC to protest Bush (it was a current events class). You can do questionable things, but get permission first.

Adelaide
06-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Why would any school system give a teacher permission to take students to NYC to protest Bush.

School board, and because it was also educational.

Peter1469
06-03-2014, 06:48 PM
School board, and because it was also educational.

It sounds political to me.

CreepyOldDude
07-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Think about it, kids get expelled for pointing there finger at someone in the shape of a gun, I a child's mother forgets and sends a knife to cut the birthday cake in with a child the child is expelled.

A kid during hunting seasons forgets that his rifle is in the trunk goes to the office to confess and gets expelled and arrested

Why would they not go after a History Teacher that was actually teaching history! Racism is part of every nations in the worlds history!

What you are seeing is liberals trying to control speech and education of what is the real history of the USA in favor of their agenda driven rewrite!

This is something that the ACLU could be all over and the State board of Educations should step in and fire the administrator.

Until the people that make these stupid decisions are punished and shamed? It will continue to the ruin of the USA

What you're talking about isn't racism. It's Zero Tolerance. ZT, in the short-hand. It's also farking stupid. It lets school administrators get away with not using their heads. They don't have to think, just enforce rules, without any regard to the actual situation.

A few years ago, my granddaughter (she had asthma) let another girl use her inhaler for a bad asthma attack. The principal called her to his office, and called the sheriff, claiming she was pushing drugs. He tried to get her arrested. The sheriff threatened to arrest the principal, if he ever called for something like that again. (The sheriff and I have casually despised each other for going on 43 years now. But he's honest, so I still vote for him every time he comes up for reelection.)

The next morning, I stopped by the diner, where the principal was having breakfast, and explained quietly to him that if he tried to kick her out for the year, I'd be nailing his balls to a tree. He needn't be anywhere nearby, of course. That was pretty much the end of ZT in our school. More vicious old bastards need to talk to principals.

Bob
07-10-2014, 04:42 PM
People say that we need to discuss race, but it is a trap because all some of them want to do is twist your words and trap you. These "witch-hunts" are only going to drive the true racists underground and make people less likely to move beyond the issues.

I too get caught in that same trap.

So where did Codename Section flee to?

Bob
07-10-2014, 04:46 PM

A man who was a school teacher in Iran had to do the same thing you endorse.

Kind of baffles me.

Bob
07-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Every bit of this is coming from the left. Sadly I also learned by posting here, we have some so called Libertarians that approved it too.

They stick by the terms of what the left decides is right and they don't stick up for freedom at all. Freedom of speech to them is only that which a couple of rulers of a forum allow you to have.