PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Shocked That Obama Would Trade Five Taliban For One American

Cigar
06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/140602-republicans-shocked-that-obama-would-trade-five-prisoners-for-one-captured-american-soldier.jpg

Ronald Reagan Gave Iran 1,500 Missiles for Hostages.

Obama Trades Five Guys? GOP Heads Explode.

I don't want to hear another word about GOP lawmakers chest-thumping and foaming-at-the-mouth about the fact that Obama traded, without the requisite 30-day notice to Congress, five indefinitely detained prisoners for the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

You know why? Because history:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/general-article/reagan-iran/

In 1985, while Iran and Iraq were at war, Iran made a secret request to buy weapons from the United States. McFarlane sought President Reagan's approval, in spite of the embargo against selling arms to Iran. McFarlane explained that the sale of arms would not only improve U.S. relations with Iran, but might in turn lead to improved relations with Lebanon, increasing U.S. influence in the troubled Middle East.

Reagan was driven by a different obsession. He had become frustrated at his inability to secure the release of the seven American hostages being held by Iranian terrorists in Lebanon. As president, Reagan felt that "he had the duty to bring those Americans home."

The arms-for-hostages proposal divided the administration. Longtime policy adversaries Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger and Secretary of State George Shultz opposed the deal, but Reagan, McFarlane and CIA director William Casey supported it. With the backing of the president, the plan progressed. By the time the sales were discovered, more than 1,500 missiles had been shipped to Iran. Three hostages had been released, only to be replaced with three more, in what Secretary of State George Shultz called "a hostage bazaar."

So GOP lawmakers are apoplectic about Obama not giving Congress the 30-day notice required by law before transferring any detainee from Guantanamo Bay, men who have mostly been detained without charge?

But will raise President Reagan upon a pillar, a man who gave Iran over 1,500 missiles for the release of U.S. hostages?

I have one response: shut up and sit down. Class is in session.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/31/1303494/-GOP-Hero-Reagan-Gave-Iran-1-500-Missiles-for-Hostages-Obama-Trades-Five-Guys-GOP-Heads-Explode

:laugh:

Codename Section
06-02-2014, 01:44 PM
And cocaine was exchanged with guns in Iran Contra...no one cares.

keymanjim
06-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Your obama traded 5 osama bin ladens for one john walker lindh.

"Courage mom"

Cigar
06-02-2014, 01:52 PM
And cocaine was exchanged with guns in Iran Contra...no one cares.

Guys sitting in GITMO for Decades... Free Room, Boarding and Health Care ... with US Tax Dollars .... why?

Because Republicans are Afraid :rollseyes:

keymanjim
06-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Guys sitting in GITMO for Decades... Free Room, Boarding and Health Care ... with US Tax Dollars .... why?

Because Republicans are Afraid :rollseyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjerGldHsD8

nic34
06-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Except everyone seems to care now if they can make it Obama's fault....

Remember, Col. North was accused of using money raised in an arms-for-hostages swap with Iran to fund and work with private organizations providing military support to rebel armies in Nicaragua. And is a convicted felon.

Just some perspective, that i think cigar was trying to convey.

Cigar
06-02-2014, 02:03 PM
BTW ... I think Obama didn't ask Congress permission to Kill OBL :grin:

Fuck Congress ... tell them to go back on Vacation :laugh:

keymanjim
06-02-2014, 02:04 PM
BTW ... I think Obama didn't ask Congress permission to Kill OBL :grin:

Fuck Congress ... tell them to go back on Vacation :laugh:
So, that makes it all right to release 5 more OBL's?

Matty
06-02-2014, 02:06 PM
I think you can easily surmise that whatever Obama does will be okay with cigar!

Cigar
06-02-2014, 02:08 PM

Release them, Kill them ... trains them for bag of Skittles ... I don't give a shit.

But Feeding, Housing, Health Care should go to Americans ... don't you think?

Cigar
06-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I think you can easily surmise that whatever Obama does will be okay with cigar!

If you're so afraid of these guys then why don't we just put a bullet in their head.

Bob
06-02-2014, 02:43 PM
You guys always deflect and never tire of blaming G.W. Bush and you shamelessly reach way back to Ronald Reagan's era. Even the lame Carney on TV today never pulled that shitty trick.

And you sling the term missiles around as if that explains anything.

Do you ever look up facts?

Those were battle field anti tank wire guided rockets. Much like the common Bazooka Joe private could carry.

To hear you guys say it, you would think they could eliminate a city with one TOW missile.

You refuse to state all the facts. Such as it was Israel that handed the Iranians many of them and our government honored a request by Israel to replace them.

Just as long as you can excuse Obama and shit on a super great president, you are pleased.

Bob
06-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Release them, Kill them ... trains them for bag of Skittles ... I don't give a shit.

But Feeding, Housing, Health Care should go to Americans ... don't you think?

Why isn't Obama using that as his excuse?

Cigar
06-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Why isn't Obama using that as his excuse?

United States Law, enacted by Congress prohibits Obama from Closing GITMO ... so if you're looking for an excuse ... just ask McScared

Bob
06-02-2014, 02:57 PM
United States Law, enacted by Congress prohibits Obama from Closing GITMO ... so if you're looking for an excuse ... just ask McScared

This is not about closing GITMO

It is similar to we sent them 5 General Eisenhower's for one of their Sgts.

Cigar
06-02-2014, 02:59 PM
This is not about closing GITMO

It is similar to we sent them 5 General Eisenhower's for one of their Sgts.

Oh WTF ... really ... 5 General Eisenhower's for one of their Sgts.

Talk about a Drama Queen :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Chris
06-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Except everyone seems to care now if they can make it Obama's fault....

Remember, Col. North was accused of using money raised in an arms-for-hostages swap with Iran to fund and work with private organizations providing military support to rebel armies in Nicaragua. And is a convicted felon.

Just some perspective, that i think cigar was trying to convey.

I could swear cigar's, and your, message is merely that Obama is an angel who can do no wrong.

Cigar
06-02-2014, 03:09 PM
I could swear cigar's, and your, message is merely that Obama is an angel who can do no wrong.

Nope ... he hasn't done half of what I and many other Voters wanted him to do.

But then again, on night of January 20th, 2009, The Republicans chose to not work with Obama before he even had one night in The White House.

Care to explain that away?

Chris
06-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Nope ... he hasn't done half of what I and many other Voters wanted him to do.

But then again, on night of January 20th, 2009, The Republicans chose to not work with Obama before he even had one night in The White House.

Care to explain that away?

Why would I, it's what opposition does, oppose. Take off the lockstep jackboots.

texan
06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Well I think its fair to say that its a difficult call either way. I am not gonna bag on the president for making that call. BTW if it were anyone of our kids we would all be for it, so lets stop with the politics. It is a tough call some good points can be made in the debate from either side.

Codename Section
06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Obama made a promise to close Gitmo and had eleven months to beg some liberal governor to bring them to their state. Even though it was going to be his first priority after repealing the Patriot Act it did not happen.

He didn't make it a priority and the window passed.

Chris
06-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Well I think its fair to say that its a difficult call either way. I am not gonna bag on the president for making that call. BTW if it were anyone of our kids we would all be for it, so lets stop with the politics. It is a tough call some good points can be made in the debate from either side.

While I'll agree none of us can truly know all the circumstances that lead to such decisions, I don't think they should be emotional decisions.

texan
06-02-2014, 05:03 PM
If anyone here would honestly say I wouldn't want my own kid back in that trade then they can raise hell. Otherwise shut up and stop being a parrot. One other suggestion is think for yourself.

Chris
06-02-2014, 05:05 PM
If anyone here would honestly say I wouldn't want my own kid back in that trade then they can raise hell. Otherwise shut up and stop being a parrot. One other suggestion is think for yourself.

Of course we all would probably, but decisions that affect everyone generally shouldn't be so special.

Who are you parrotting?

texan
06-02-2014, 05:13 PM
You mean why am I thinking for myself?

Chris
06-02-2014, 05:16 PM
You mean why am I thinking for myself?

You seem to be echoing Obama's thinking. Or is he echoing yours?

Mainecoons
06-02-2014, 05:39 PM

You don't strike me as particularly naive, at least not until now.

Don't you find it curious that this happened right in the middle of the latest Obama administration fuck up and scandal?

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/207856-bergdahl-bumps-va-from-spotlight

Wag the Dog

Common Sense
06-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Not everything is a conspiracy.

Mainecoons
06-02-2014, 05:45 PM
And when it involves Obama, nothing is for you.

Right. We got it. Carry on.

:grin:

Common Sense
06-02-2014, 06:56 PM
And when it involves Obama, nothing is for you.

Right. We got it. Carry on.

:grin:

You know what it must have been? Obama has access to that time machine and went back in time to make the Qataris broker the deal to release him from the Taliban three years ago, when the deal first started.

Common Sense
06-02-2014, 07:27 PM
You know what it must have been? Obama has access to that time machine and went back in time to make the Qataris broker the deal to release him from the Taliban three years ago, when the deal first started.

No?

Mainecoons
06-02-2014, 07:34 PM
You're hanging out there again on this one, genius.

We traded a deserter for five real big time terrorists who are going to kill a lot more folks and we timed the announcement to try and take the VA off the front page.

Neither painting this joker as some kind of hero or using this lousy deal to take the VA off the front burner is trying again.

You're doing well here, right up there with the Carn(e)y. Keep working at it.

:rofl:

Common Sense
06-02-2014, 07:42 PM
You're hanging out there again on this one, genius.

We traded a deserter for five real big time terrorists who are going to kill a lot more folks and we timed the announcement to try and take the VA off the front page.

Neither painting this joker as some kind of hero or using this lousy deal to take the VA off the front burner is trying again.

You're doing well here, right up there with the Carn(e)y. Keep working at it.

How is this "using this lousy deal"? The deal was brokered over three years. Certainly there is no connection (outside of your imagination), genius.

He hasn't been tried as a deserter...but I know facts are meaningless when emotion rules over logic.

"Big time terrorists"? You don't even know who they are. You're also probably not aware of their release conditions.

Mainecoons
06-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Uh huh, brokered over three years and suddenly happened while the Obamanation is getting killed in the press for the VA.

P.T. Barnum would have loved you, sucker.

Watch the movie, genius, it might teach you something.

Common Sense
06-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Uh huh, brokered over three years and suddenly happened while the Obamanation is getting killed in the press for the VA.

P.T. Barnum would have loved you, sucker.

Watch the movie, genius, it might teach you something.

OMG...I think you put the tinfoil hat on a little too tight.

Mainecoons
06-02-2014, 07:47 PM
I think it wouldn't matter how tight your tinfoil hat was. There's nothing there to squeeze.

momsapplepie
06-02-2014, 07:49 PM
3 years in the works but no time to tell congress until the prisoners were released. Yeah right! Even Kharzi is pissed. Obama should be impeached for blatantly breaking the law!

Common Sense
06-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Lame...

Night night, nut case.
Mainecoons

Mainecoons
06-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Aww, whatsamatter NoCommon Sense?

Can't stick up for your boy in his latest caper?

I feel for you. As the lies and increasingly transparent attempts to cover the tracks of this corrupt and stupid administration pile up it must be really getting tough for you true believers.

Chris
06-02-2014, 07:58 PM
3 years in the works but no time to tell congress until the prisoners were released. Yeah right! Even Kharzi is pissed. Obama should be impeached for blatantly breaking the law!

IOW, Obama broke the law not telling Congress. Rule of man, not rule of law.