PDA

View Full Version : Gun myths vanish in 5 minutes

Bob
06-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Yes, gun myths die hard but this should be used by those who believe in self defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682JLrsUmEM#t=43​

Redrose
06-12-2014, 02:18 AM
In Florida in 1994 on SR 50, we were returning from DisneyWorld and we were in an expensive new car. Three vehicles boxed us in and forced us off the road. No one else around. 5 young men got out with baseball bats and demanded we get out of the car. As I was getting out one guy raised his bat at me and my deputy sheriff husband pulled out his Glock and announced he was a cop and they fled so fast we were stunned. If we hadn't had that weapon they would have probably killed us and took the car. The chance that people could be armed, or have a gun in their home actually keeps crime down.

Peter1469
06-12-2014, 07:01 AM
That is what the libs either can't comprehend, or just ignore. Until they are on the receiving end of a crime. Then they soil themselves, and some become c.c. holders.

In Florida in 1994 on SR 50, we were returning from DisneyWorld and we were in an expensive new car. Three vehicles boxed us in and forced us off the road. No one else around. 5 young men got out with baseball bats and demanded we get out of the car. As I was getting out one guy raised his bat at me and my deputy sheriff husband pulled out his Glock and announced he was a cop and they fled so fast we were stunned. If we hadn't had that weapon they would have probably killed us and took the car. The chance that people could be armed, or have a gun in their home actually keeps crime down.

Captain Obvious
06-12-2014, 07:39 AM
That is what the libs either can't comprehend, or just ignore. Until they are on the receiving end of a crime. Then they soil themselves, and some become c.c. holders.

Not all liberals though, just the bedshitters.

I think a surprising number of liberal minded people are gun supporters or at the least sympathetic to the cause.

nathanbforrest45
06-12-2014, 10:03 AM
You can not say all of any thing is the same as all other parts. So, you will have liberals who claim to be against gun control (except for "common sense legislation") just as you have conservatives who are pro abortion. However, the ideology is what should be discussed, not individual members of any specific group.

nic34
06-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Not all liberals though, just the bedshitters.

I think a surprising number of liberal minded people are gun supporters or at the least sympathetic to the cause.

Do libs really have guns?

Well.....

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'

del
06-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Do libs really have guns?

Well.....

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'

well, do you......punk?

<click>

lol

Perianne
06-12-2014, 10:12 AM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/105634/3744673-frozen.gif

Polecat
06-12-2014, 10:23 AM
You can not say all of any thing is the same as all other parts. So, you will have liberals who claim to be against gun control (except for "common sense legislation") just as you have conservatives who are pro abortion. However, the ideology is what should be discussed, not individual members of any specific group.

I agree. Our tendency to polarize everything has gotten out of control. Once we dig off all the sensationalized rhetoric the core issue is are we going to be helpless victims or are we going to have a means to protect ourselves should the need arise.

nathanbforrest45
06-12-2014, 11:02 AM
I agree. Our tendency to polarize everything has gotten out of control. Once we dig off all the sensationalized rhetoric the core issue is are we going to be helpless victims or are we going to have a means to protect ourselves should the need arise.

Or just shoot the shit out of tin cans if that floats our boat.

Polecat
06-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Well if you're going to carry a gun you need to stay proficient some how. I like milk jugs half full of water.

PolWatch
06-12-2014, 11:16 AM
First of all, I am licensed gun owner. I don't hunt but enjoyed target shooting as a sport. I carry a gun most of the time for personal protection (its amazing how many people think old folks are easy prey). But, people who think that the possession of a gun is an insurance policy are idiots...ask the guy in the Wal-Mart in Nevada. I believe that anyone who wants a gun needs to be required to learn how to handle one...not only gun safety, but also sensible response to a threat. In the gun-rich South, we hear too often of a nervous gun owner who shot his teenager trying to sneak home after hours and other unnecessary accidents.

Bob
06-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Since such stories are hard to keep statistics on, since many who protect themselves or the family or property, having pulled their gun out, are hesitant to tell authorities what happened. It is easier to brush this off, not reporting it, than to deal with the hassle cops put you through.

A great book took pains to show guns save lives when all things like your story are taken into account.

http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Save-Lives-Americans-Defending/dp/1559502266

Bob
06-12-2014, 12:24 PM

When I was growing up in what became the infestation of Democrats rule of our lives, we actually carried guns in the open and never feared cops.

We used to, as teens, take our guns up into the hills and plink small game, if we could actually hit the game. LOL

We once actually felt free in CA.

Not now. I fear far more violence in my #4 ranked best city in America than in the past.

Bob
06-12-2014, 12:28 PM
First of all, I am licensed gun owner. I don't hunt but enjoyed target shooting as a sport. I carry a gun most of the time for personal protection (its amazing how many people think old folks are easy prey). But, people who think that the possession of a gun is an insurance policy are idiots...ask the guy in the Wal-Mart in Nevada. I believe that anyone who wants a gun needs to be required to learn how to handle one...not only gun safety, but also sensible response to a threat. In the gun-rich South, we hear too often of a nervous gun owner who shot his teenager trying to sneak home after hours and other unnecessary accidents.

I personally have been extremely well trained in the use of many types of guns. From pistols to machine guns, I was very highly trained.

If the Government really wants to cut down gun deaths, they could, using tax funding, have courses where one is highly trained to use that gun. I would be far happier training them before they get the gun than this other BS they do to us.

CA has to be the worst state of all for gun owners.

I recall when CA was free.

I used to take my rifle into the local hills and not even think about cops stopping me.

The truth is, seldom did teens do that. Some of us had guns and would try to hit squirrels and some birds.

nathanbforrest45
06-12-2014, 12:48 PM
As ex Navy my training with weapons was with the 5 inch 38 guns on a WW2 era Destroyer. Kind of hard to carry around concealed. The "bullets alone weigh 55 lbs and the powder another 38. I have two handguns, a 380 and a 38, two rifles, a 22 and a 1894 Marlin Level Action 38-40 and a Japanese licensed Smith and Wesson 12 guage shot gun. I don't hunt but I do shoot the shit out of tin cans. I have never fired the Marlin since it is an original and is 120 years old. No, I have not had it since it was new!

Bob
06-12-2014, 01:36 PM
As ex Navy my training with weapons was with the 5 inch 38 guns on a WW2 era Destroyer. Kind of hard to carry around concealed. The "bullets alone weigh 55 lbs and the powder another 38. I have two handguns, a 380 and a 38, two rifles, a 22 and a 1894 Marlin Level Action 38-40 and a Japanese licensed Smith and Wesson 12 guage shot gun. I don't hunt but I do shoot the shit out of tin cans. I have never fired the Marlin since it is an original and is 120 years old. No, I have not had it since it was new!

I sold my 1894 Marlin, 32 special several years ago.

I have no idea how to deal with artillery nor cannons on ships.

Redrose
06-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Since such stories are hard to keep statistics on, since many who protect themselves or the family or property, having pulled their gun out, are hesitant to tell authorities what happened. It is easier to brush this off, not reporting it, than to deal with the hassle cops put you through.

A great book took pains to show guns save lives when all things like your story are taken into account.

http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Save-Lives-Americans-Defending/dp/1559502266

Just a footnote. My husband did report the hijacking to the police. I would have to assume they were never caught because we were never called to testify. The men were all fair skinned, looked white, but the one who spoke had a very distinctive latino/Cuban accent. All were well dressed in white dress shirts, ties and dress slacks. Two of their three tags were obscured. We were in a new BMW and the way they were dressed would have looked appropriate in that vehicle. I always felt they were part of a very well organized larger group, not just a bunch of thugs wanting to chop a car. A very scary experience.

An unarmed person is a target. I have a carry permit, and have trained to use my gun properly. If you are going to point a gun at someone, you better know how to use it.

bodisatva
06-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Sorry to hear that but you are 100% correct. The fact of not knowing who is armed reduces crime... many of my ex-students who were in gangs attested to this fact.

Bob
06-30-2014, 11:13 PM
Just a footnote. My husband did report the hijacking to the police. I would have to assume they were never caught because we were never called to testify. The men were all fair skinned, looked white, but the one who spoke had a very distinctive latino/Cuban accent. All were well dressed in white dress shirts, ties and dress slacks. Two of their three tags were obscured. We were in a new BMW and the way they were dressed would have looked appropriate in that vehicle. I always felt they were part of a very well organized larger group, not just a bunch of thugs wanting to chop a car. A very scary experience.

An unarmed person is a target. I have a carry permit, and have trained to use my gun properly. If you are going to point a gun at someone, you better know how to use it.

Thugs could get plenty of cash for a Beemer. That story came close to scaring me.

Frater
07-21-2014, 03:19 AM

The only time people try to enact gun control is to control the people. Criminals never obey the laws.

zelmo1234
07-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Well if you're going to carry a gun you need to stay proficient some how. I like milk jugs half full of water.

Go to your local bowling ally and they will sell their damaged pins cheap. they are a lot of fun and they take a beating

zelmo1234
07-21-2014, 07:36 AM
There are a lot of people that love to shoot and are very proficient. with a gun shooting targets and would be totally worthless in a combat situation.

I really like the CCW and CPL laws, I believe that they reduce crime, but I wish they had more practical training when it comes to defending yourself.

We just had one of my CPL graduates that used his gun and missed 10 times. Now he did scar the robber off, but if the find a way to charge him I will be called as a professional to testify against him.
As far as I know he only took the CPL class! They will ask me if this qualifies him to use a gun for defense, in which I wall be forced to say NO

Ethereal
07-21-2014, 10:46 AM
There are a lot of people that love to shoot and are very proficient. with a gun shooting targets and would be totally worthless in a combat situation.

I really like the CCW and CPL laws, I believe that they reduce crime, but I wish they had more practical training when it comes to defending yourself.

We just had one of my CPL graduates that used his gun and missed 10 times. Now he did scar the robber off, but if the find a way to charge him I will be called as a professional to testify against him.
As far as I know he only took the CPL class! They will ask me if this qualifies him to use a gun for defense, in which I wall be forced to say NO

Which will make you a liar. The only thing that "qualifies" a person to use a gun in self-defense is the second amendment.

CreepyOldDude
07-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Which will make you a liar. The only thing that "qualifies" a person to use a gun in self-defense is the second amendment.

That's nonsense. The Second Amendment gives them the right to own a gun. It doesn't make them qualified to use it. Hell, I have the right to own a jumbo jet, if I can afford one. Doesn't mean I'm qualified to fly the damned thing.

The mere fact that he fired ten rounds, and missed every time, marks him as not qualified in its use.

CreepyOldDude
07-21-2014, 03:09 PM
When I was growing up in what became the infestation of Democrats rule of our lives, we actually carried guns in the open and never feared cops.

We used to, as teens, take our guns up into the hills and plink small game, if we could actually hit the game. LOL

We once actually felt free in CA.

Not now. I fear far more violence in my #4 ranked best city in America than in the past.

When I was a youngster, I wanted a Red Ryder BB Gun so much I could taste it. I started asking when I was six years old. My dad always said no, bb guns were too dangerous. For my tenth birthday, I got a Remington 870 20 gauge pump shotgun.

I understand now what my dad meant. I was thinking of the Red Ryder as a toy gun. Which meant I'd point it at people, and pull the trigger. The same year, one of my friends got a Red Ryder for Christmas. Damned if he didn't put out his little brother's eye before Christmas Vacation was over.

zelmo1234
07-21-2014, 04:34 PM

NO the second amendment give one the right to own it, It takes skill to be able to deploy it effectively and safely!

You already know that!

Dangermouse
07-21-2014, 04:36 PM
The irony of using Eastwood as a pro-gun icon, when he favors gun control, and has said "Why would anyone want an assault weapon?" is classic!

zelmo1234
07-21-2014, 04:37 PM
That's nonsense. The Second Amendment gives them the right to own a gun. It doesn't make them qualified to use it. Hell, I have the right to own a jumbo jet, if I can afford one. Doesn't mean I'm qualified to fly the damned thing.

The mere fact that he fired ten rounds, and missed every time, marks him as not qualified in its use.

He is very lucky that his fire did not hit one of the others in the store. So he will likely not be charged.

People that choose to carry a gun, need to be trained in the use of that gun, they are responsible for the results of the use of that weapon.

zelmo1234
07-21-2014, 04:39 PM
When I was a youngster, I wanted a Red Ryder BB Gun so much I could taste it. I started asking when I was six years old. My dad always said no, bb guns were too dangerous. For my tenth birthday, I got a Remington 870 20 gauge pump shotgun.

I understand now what my dad meant. I was thinking of the Red Ryder as a toy gun. Which meant I'd point it at people, and pull the trigger. The same year, one of my friends got a Red Ryder for Christmas. Damned if he didn't put out his little brother's eye before Christmas Vacation was over.

Oh! we can't have that story with out this! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCr8QSGYss

Polecat
07-21-2014, 04:40 PM

We lived in the country so a BB gun was standard issue. We were instructed that it was capable of taking out an eye or penetrating skin at close range and to keep in mind that if we fucked up it would be our ass.

CreepyOldDude
07-21-2014, 04:43 PM
He is very lucky that his fire did not hit one of the others in the store. So he will likely not be charged.

People that choose to carry a gun, need to be trained in the use of that gun, they are responsible for the results of the use of that weapon.

+1 internets to you, sir.

CreepyOldDude
07-21-2014, 04:53 PM
We lived in the country so a BB gun was standard issue. We were instructed that it was capable of taking out an eye or penetrating skin at close range and to keep in mind that if we fucked up it would be our ass.

We lived in the country, too. And BB guns were par for the course. But not in my family. Dad figured that, no matter what, we'd end up shooting our friends with a BB gun. And, considering the number of kids that got shot with BBs, he probably wasn't wrong. (The amazing thing is, my friend's brother is the only one I know of who lost an eye.)

Bob
07-21-2014, 04:53 PM
The irony of using Eastwood as a pro-gun icon, when he favors gun control, and has said "Why would anyone want an assault weapon?" is classic!

Gun control is what we all need.

We were trained to control our guns and steady the aim to hit the target.

Good gun control works.

CreepyOldDude
07-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Gun control is what we all need.

We were trained to control our guns and steady the aim to hit the target.

Good gun control works.

My wife laughs at me when I'm watching TV, sometimes. Once, we were watching some science fiction show, I think it was the original V. The bad guys were shooting lasers at the good guy, who was crouched behind a barred gate like this one:

There were about three or four of them shooting at the guy behind this gate, and hitting the bars, but not the guy.

I couldn't help it, I was getting worked up by what lousy shots they were. :)

Ethereal
07-21-2014, 06:17 PM

My point was there is no "qualification" necessary to wield a firearm in self-defense, as self-defense is a right. Zelmo is not really "qualified" to write proper English, either, but he still has the right to freedom of speech and expression.

Ethereal
07-21-2014, 06:21 PM
NO the second amendment give one the right to own it, It takes skill to be able to deploy it effectively and safely!

You already know that!

Exactly, self defense is a right, which means no "qualification" is necessary to wield one in self-defense. Is it helpful? Certainly. But it's not a prerequisite.

CreepyOldDude
07-22-2014, 12:49 PM
My point was there is no "qualification" necessary to wield a firearm in self-defense, as self-defense is a right. Zelmo is not really "qualified" to write proper English, either, but he still has the right to freedom of speech and expression.

Then you probably should have said that. Yes, he has the right to use a gun for self defense. But, the SC has said that the Second Amendment doesn't preclude some rules in place regarding guns, and gun ownership. I don't see that requiring he know how to shoot is overly burdensome. And ten rounds, ten misses is abysmal.