PDA

View Full Version : The Big Questions

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 11:00 AM
A british show where various debates take place. I find it amazing that this particular debate was so ordered and cordial...in this country the Bishop would have shouted down everyone else and taken over. I've seen it too many times. It's a bullies tactic but in England there are still expectations of civility which I find refreshing.

In this debate..they're talking about the Bible and I enjoyed it so I thought others here might as well.

I like Dawkins and find him thoughtful and informed. He is just one member of a panel and there are members of the audience that contribute as well.

The Big Questions - Is the bible still relevant today - With Richard Dawkins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hxR0lQzNSI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WBRvNjdKq4&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx6H16Y3eFE&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPR_vYepork&feature=relmfu

It's not very long but in my view something worth watching.

Mister D
04-08-2012, 11:02 AM
You do realize that numerous and cordial debates have been held in this country on this and similar topics? Fool.

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 11:03 AM
I would hope so but not that I've seen...your referencing me as a fool without providing anything to back yourself up speaks volumes and is as usual a fail.

Mister D
04-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I would hope so but not that I've seen...your referencing me as a fool without providing anything to back yourself up speaks volumes and is as usual a fail.

If you haven't seen them it simply illustrates your complete lack of knowledge and prior interest in such debates/discussions yet you make statements like this:

I find it amazing that this particular debate was so ordered and cordial...in this country the Bishop would have shouted down everyone else and taken over.

Fool.

dadakarma
04-08-2012, 11:09 AM

At least he bumped your thread, though. ;)

Mister D
04-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Hey, weren't you bumping a 'Holocaust denial' thread? :shocked: Sick old bag. :rollseyes:

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Yes and I should be polite and thank him. Thanks for the bump Mr D! Hope you enjoy the videos if you should decide to watch them.

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Hey, weren't you bumping a 'Holocaust denial' thread? :shocked: Sick old bag. :rollseyes:
Are you cruzin for the rubber room? Is there any point in your being in this thread other than to be insulting? I said what I think about the quality of discussion of such topics in this country and immediately you appear to illustrate it.

Alias
04-08-2012, 11:33 AM
A thorough knowledge of the bible is worth more than a college education.
Teddy Roosevelt.

They put his face on Mt. Rushmore so he must know what he's talkin' about.

Mister D
04-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Are you cruzin for the rubber room? Is there any point in your being in this thread other than to be insulting? I said what I think about the quality of discussion of such topics in this country and immediately you appear to illustrate it.

You start by insulting American Christians and then you complain about insults? :laugh: Rubber room time, son.

Alias
04-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Are there some Christophobes here? Outstanding.

Mister D
04-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Are there some Christophobes here? Outstanding.

Don't go bumping their thread! I hear if a thread is long enough at thepoliticalforums.com you get invited to a BO beer summit! :shocked: :laugh:

wingrider
04-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Dawkins is an atheist,, need I say more.

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 11:39 AM
I didn't insult anyone. If you bothered to watch the videos you'd know that.

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Dawkins is an atheist,, need I say more.
He's on the panel with many others. If your tender ears and eyes are that threatened by hearing different views and a discussion on the topic then please don't say more.... Thank You....have a nice day.

wingrider
04-08-2012, 11:41 AM
kinda like you going to my thread on white slavery and bumping it to rant and rave about the author of the article being a so called holocaust denier,, you trash my thread and then expect different actions from others? unbelievable

Mister D
I didn't insult anyone. If you bothered to watch the videos you'd know that.

Sure you did. I quoted you twice. Better still, I'm on topic. Your comment displayed your ignorance for all to see. Fool.

Mister D
kinda like you going to my thread on white slavery and bumping it to rant and rave about the author of the article being a so called holocaust denier,, you trash my thread and then expect different actions from others? unbelievable

Don't bump the thread! They'll get the beer summit invite instead of us!

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Sure you did. I quoted you twice. Better still, I'm on topic. Your comment displayed your ignorance for all to see. Fool.
You're easily insulted.

wingrider
04-08-2012, 11:43 AM
He's on the panel with many others. If your tender ears and eyes are that threatened by hearing different views and a discussion on the topic then please don't say more.... Thank You....have a nice day. Dawkins is an atheist why would I want to pay any attention to him.. ? I do not suffer fools gladly. and i will post in any thread I feel like posting in, and by the way.. you are not the boss of me neener neener

wingrider
04-08-2012, 11:44 AM
your right.. i am gone.. thanks

MMC
04-08-2012, 11:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49ELXpzyHE

Cmon now D.....I at least want to Get Mickey in here. I mean it is a bump.

wingrider
04-08-2012, 11:50 AM
perhaps we can get admin to close this thread as it does nothing for the forum content but is a waste of band space. I will PM him and ask

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Please do...I'm sure Admin would love to hear about your petty concerns. Watch the videos or don't it's no skin off my nose however it is a good discussion and not one sided. Exercise in free speech.

dadakarma
04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Please do...I'm sure Admin would love to hear about your petty concerns. Watch the videos or don't it's no skin off my nose however it is a good discussion and not one sided. Exercise in free speech.

Close the thread? OMG, the thin skin around here is off the hook. :rofl:

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Failed threats. It is never ending and pretty amusing actually. They demonstrate my initial OP perfectly!

dadakarma
04-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Failed threats. It is never ending and pretty amusing actually. They demonstrate my initial OP perfectly!

Oh no! Someone got called a name! Report it! More whining about how we post or the games we're playing - it's grade-school silly.

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Did I call someone a name? I don't remember....

Alias
04-08-2012, 01:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9CkhBb18E

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 01:27 PM
I didn't call anyone a name...have you done anything in this thread but try to derail it?

dadakarma
04-08-2012, 01:51 PM
I didn't call anyone a name...have you done anything in this thread but try to derail it?

Of course you haven't but it doesn't matter whether you do or don't. They will whine about you, anyway. :)

keyser soze
04-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Very true :rofl:

Here is more info about the videos...

here is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5hxR0lQzNSI#%21) of a much more serious discussion of the relevancy of the Bible today, which includes host Nicky Campbell, Michael Nazir Ali, Bishop of Rochester, Richard Dawkins, Rabbi Laura Janner-Klausner, and Bible scholar Francesca Stavrakopoulou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesca_Stavrakopoulou).

2Ts
04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
You do realize that numerous and cordial debates have been held in this country on this and similar topics? Fool.

why don't you share some?

wingrider
04-08-2012, 07:58 PM
If the King James Bible is the word of God; then surely, God was an Englishman named Francis Bacon. jewish carpenter

Mister D
04-08-2012, 08:08 PM
why don't you share some?

Because you can all find numerous examples yourself in less than a minute.

roadmaster
04-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Demnuts knows nothing. Dawkins is not interested in the truth as such but is primarily concerned to discredit an ideological opponent by any available means.

dadakarma
04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Demnuts knows nothing. Dawkins is not interested in the truth as such but is primarily concerned to discredit an ideological opponent by any available means.

Who is Demnuts?

roadmaster
04-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Who is Demnuts?

That's what I call Dawkins

dadakarma
04-08-2012, 09:19 PM
That's what I call Dawkins

Why's that?

keyser soze
04-09-2012, 05:42 AM
I think the question is relevant and that the bible is given way too much weight in our society. The dialog in the debates was informative to me and I took note of the fact that in England they endured the horrors of theology gone wild. I view that as an inoculation. They also sent all their religious fanatics to America but we're returning the favor by exporting our American Taliban all over the world....lucky them.

Alias
04-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I think the question is relevant and that the bible is given way too much weight in our society. The dialog in the debates was informative to me and I took note of the fact that in England they endured the horrors of theology gone wild. I view that as an inoculation. They also sent all their religious fanatics to America but we're returning the favor by exporting our American Taliban all over the world....lucky them.

Christians are the "American Taliban". Can you explain that?

keyser soze
04-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I didn't say 'christians' I said dominionists...they are busily swallowing up churches across the country and elsewhere...they're very radical and they're sneaky.

http://godsownparty.com/blog/2010/03/christian-dominionism-101/

Mister D
04-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't it be more helpful to link to the websites run by the accused instead of their enemies?

Mister D
04-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Christians are the "American Taliban". Can you explain that?

I can. See, Islamism has it's equivalent in Christianity. Yeah...:rollseyes:

keyser soze
04-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Wouldn't it be more helpful to link to the websites run by the accused instead of their enemies?
Why so you can read their propaganda?

keyser soze
04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
I can. See, Islamism has it's equivalent in Christianity. Yeah...:rollseyes:
It does have it's equivalent...these are theocrats and given power they will be every bit as bad...this christianity is a political movement like Islamist muslims are political.

Mister D
04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
It does have it's equivalent...these are theocrats and given power they will be every bit as bad...this christianity is a political movement like Islamist muslims are political.

Scary stuff, Keyser. Watch out for those Christians! Next thing you know they'll be detonating themselves in Starbucks! "Dominionists" are about as threatening to the US as the Italian army.

keyser soze
04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
You don't know anything about this as your scoffing "christians" remark indicates. Stay ignorant...it suits you.

Alias
04-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I didn't say 'christians' I said dominionists...they are busily swallowing up churches across the country and elsewhere...they're very radical and they're sneaky.

http://godsownparty.com/blog/2010/03/christian-dominionism-101/

Are they chopping off heads and murdering women by hanging them, etc, etc, like the Taliban are?

Mister D
04-09-2012, 10:58 AM
You don't know anything about this as your scoffing "christians" remark indicates. Stay ignorant...it suits you.

Man, it almost seems like you dislike Christians. :wink: :grin:

keyser soze
04-09-2012, 11:11 AM
I dislike theocrats. Don't you?

wingrider
04-09-2012, 11:13 AM
just as Christ said , " if they hated me they will hate you also " seems that some people cannot differentiate between a christian and a false christian,, but its all good I have read the bible and guess what,, Christians win,,

Mister D
04-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I dislike theocrats. Don't you?

The US is in less danger than it ever has been of becoming a theocracy if that's even possible. Change your diapers. Next time, find a real issue to soil yourself over.

keyser soze
04-09-2012, 11:20 AM
No one ever said anything about hating Christ...projection much? And Mister D you live in a bubble.

Mister D
04-09-2012, 11:21 AM
No one ever said anything about hating Christ...projection much? And Mister D you live in a bubble.

You change those pampers yet, son?

wingrider
04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
no just to responding to the Christian taliban statement, I don't believe that is projecting. if you equate Christians with a murderous sect of Islam than what am I supposed to think you are saying?

roadmaster
04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Why's that?

He is arrogant and reminds me a lot of Darwin, Hitler’s hero. His book is filled with smoke and mirrors. His wit and dogmatism will convince and influence many. Even in the end he proclaims “ We have found a plausible series of graded intermediates by which the modern bee dance could have been evolved from simpler beginnings. The story as I have told it may not be the right one. But something a bit like it surely did happen.”
Again, "it happened" only because any other explanation has been disallowed by definition and not by evidence. Too many errors in his book that people chose not to see. Take a look at Darwin, an ex-preacher that lost his family and was determined to find out there was no God. In the end he lost his battle and realized he was wrong but the damage had already been done.

dadakarma
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
He is arrogant and reminds me a lot of Darwin, Hitler’s hero. His book is filled with smoke and mirrors. His wit and dogmatism will convince and influence many. Even in the end he proclaims “ We have found a plausible series of graded intermediates by which the modern bee dance could have been evolved from simpler beginnings. The story as I have told it may not be the right one. But something a bit like it surely did happen.”
Again, "it happened" only because any other explanation has been disallowed by definition and not by evidence. Too many errors in his book that people chose not to see. Take a look at Darwin, an ex-preacher that lost his family and was determined to find out there was no God. In the end he lost his battle and realized he was wrong but the damage had already been done.

So it's his agnosticism you don't like?

roadmaster
04-09-2012, 01:48 PM
So it's his agnosticism you don't like?

No he is leading people astray. Take a look at Jim Jones, and I could name many. Instead of seeking the truth they depend on man to tell them the answers they seek. Where does this purpose on the brain' stuff come from? If the universe were just electrons, there would be no problem of evil or suffering. He continues to sail upstream without a paddle.

I have no use for him or any of them.

Mister D
04-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Yet reason demands answers. Thus philosophy.

Mister D
04-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Tolstoy came up with two main conclusions: first, the church was deceiving people gravely and people themselves should exert effort to know the true faith. Second, one of the most obtuse superstitions was the superstition of the scientists who said that man can exist without faith. Tolstoy gives his definition of what religion is. “Religion is not a belief established once and for all in certain supernatural events that are supposed to have taken place at a particular time, nor is a belief in the necessity of certain prayers and rituals, nor, as the scientist think, is it a survival of the superstitions of ancient ignorance which have no meaning or relevance of life today. Religion is a relationship established between man, everlasting life, and God in conformity with reason and contemporary knowledge, and which alone pushes humanity forwards to its destined aim.”
With peace inside Tolstoy made of his whole life an expression of what he believed; "he frequently reminded people, his mission was service to God among real, living people rather than monastic seclusion; moreover, he rightly did not feel free to abandon his wife and numerous children”. (Vladimir Chertkov: The last days of Leo Tolstoy)
His religious understanding is based on commitment to life rather than withdrawal from it, on participation rather than passivity, on establishing the kingdom of God on earth rather than anticipating it in an after-life