PDA

View Full Version : New York Lawmaker Proposes Letting Illegal Immigrants Vote

Mr. Mensch
06-17-2014, 01:41 PM
New York state Senator Gustavo Rivera has proposed a bill (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/16/us-usa-new-york-votingrights-idUSKBN0ER2KU20140616) that would grant non-citizens (both legally and illegally residing in the state) the right to vote in state and local elections, serve on a jury, and receive a driver's license, among other benefits that were typically reserved for citizens.
The bill is titled the New York Is Home Act, and is the first in the nation that would grant this full slate of benefits to illegal immigrants who can prove that they have lived in the state and paid taxes for a minimum of three years.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2014/06/17/new-york-lawmaker-proposes-letting-illegal-immigrants-vote-n1852520

Uh, No.....................

Green Arrow
06-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Except the bill would require that they prove they have lived in the state of New York and paid taxes for three years and would grant them citizenship.

Mister D
06-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Good grief. Another amnesty proposal but at least this one should have been expected (i.e. Rivera). Well, I'll grant the libertarians this: if the state refuses to distinguish between citizens and non-citizens it has forfeited its raison d'être.

texan
06-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Dumbass

Alyosha
06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
The hypocritical leftists should be against this because "federal law" says one thing and they hate states rights...until its convenient.

Alyosha
06-17-2014, 02:22 PM
This is the bad thing about gay marriage, its setting the precedence that if this goes through courts all over will force states to do the same. States vote against gay marriage, and the courts say its ok.

Interesting times to say the least.

Redrose
06-17-2014, 02:31 PM
New York state Senator Gustavo Rivera has proposed a bill (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/16/us-usa-new-york-votingrights-idUSKBN0ER2KU20140616) that would grant non-citizens (both legally and illegally residing in the state) the right to vote in state and local elections, serve on a jury, and receive a driver's license, among other benefits that were typically reserved for citizens.
The bill is titled the New York Is Home Act, and is the first in the nation that would grant this full slate of benefits to illegal immigrants who can prove that they have lived in the state and paid taxes for a minimum of three years.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2014/06/17/new-york-lawmaker-proposes-letting-illegal-immigrants-vote-n1852520

Uh, No.....................
Some...some on the left have no problem with big government's heavy hand, as long as it's oppressing groups the left opposes. Once that heavy hand doubles back and slaps them upside the head, then they blame the right.....and Bush. They are blind to what horrors they are supporting. Superficial thinkers.

Alyosha
06-17-2014, 02:32 PM
btw, I say that not having a problem with gay marriage or any marriage. We should have more marriage. I just don't like that the Black Robes decided that we should have it.

Green Arrow
06-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Good grief. Another amnesty proposal but at least this one should have been expected (i.e. Rivera). Well, I'll grant the libertarians this: if the state refuses to distinguish between citizens and non-citizens it has forfeited its raison d'être.

At least this one is only giving them these things if they pay taxes. It's certainly better than just giving it to them by virtue of them existing.

Mister D
06-17-2014, 02:59 PM
At least this one is only giving them these things if they pay taxes. It's certainly better than just giving it to them by virtue of them existing.

Someone making minimum wage in NY pays around $1,200 into SS and Medicare. Once that person becomes a citizen and actually files a tax return he'll get a welfare check. That is, the state will actually give him money. This is all moot anyway. Thankfully, it hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of passing. Moreover, how do you prove you paid taxes if you never filed? This is just another step toward obscuring the distinction between citizen and non-citizen. I won't speak of "Americans" because that term has only a legal meaning at this point.

1751_Texan
06-17-2014, 03:00 PM
btw, I say that not having a problem with gay marriage or any marriage. We should have more marriage. I just don't like that the Black Robes decided that we should have it.

Sad when folk don't understand the simple judicial reasoning of affirming rights. No one...not even men in black robes...give you rights.

Women were banned from voting. The supreme court could have ruled that the 14th and 5th amendments affirmed equal protection under the law. Did "black robes" give women the right to vote or affirm that right?

As we know the 19th made that need moot.

The US constitution affirms citizens the right to vote...but in no means prohibits non-citizens from not voting if allowed by the states in which they reside.

voting is a guarrantee right of citizens, but can be afforded non-citizens...and has.

Green Arrow
06-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Sad when folk don't understand the simple judicial reasoning of affirming rights. No one...not even men in black robes...give you rights.

Women were banned from voting. The supreme court could have ruled that the 14th and 5th amendments affirmed equal protection under the law. Did "black robes" give women the right to vote or affirm that right?

As we know the 19th made that need moot.

The US constitution affirms citizens the right to vote...but in no means prohibits non-citizens from not voting if allowed by the states in which they reside.

voting is a guarrantee right of citizens, but can be afforded non-citizens...and has.

Actually, you're technically correct. States can grant anyone they wish the right to vote, citizen or not. Tenth amendment.