PDA

View Full Version : Denmark Moves Toward Renewable Energy

Conley
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
The politician wanted to make one thing absolutely clear. "We are not," she said, "just hippies."

Perhaps it sounded a little over-defensive, but then what Lykke Friis was defending was a remarkably bold initiative.

Denmark has announced that by the end of this decade, it will produce a third of its energy from renewable sources - wind power, in particular, but also solar power and the burning of "biomass."

More ambitiously, the Danish Government has set a goal of running the entire country on renewables by 2050.

What makes Denmark's announcement even more unusual is that it has won support from across the country's political spectrum.

Ms Friis, for example, is a front-bench spokeswoman for the opposition Liberal Party, right-of-centre and fiercely pro-business. For her, the decision to ditch fossil fuels is a matter of sound financial planning.

"No matter what we do, we will have an increase in the price of energy, simply because people in India and China want to have a car, want to travel," she says.

"That is why we came out with a clear ambition to be independent of fossil fuels: so we are not vulnerable to great fluctuations in energy price."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17628146

Wouldn't it be great if politicians in the US on both sides of the aisle could also unite behind something like this?

MMC
04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah it would.....but I doubt it will ever come to be here. Maybe if All of Europe was to do the same and quit getting whatever from the Sunni and the ME, then maybe all can tell the Saud to hit the road Jack. Do you think if most of the planet would get away from Oil. That we can send the Goat herders back to doing what they do best. you know.....breeding and taking up space.

Conley
04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Most of the planet will move away from oil eventually...they'll have to. It's just a matter of when it will run out. Even if they keep finding ways to extract from shale and other tough spots it won't be enough.

MMC
04-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Most of the planet will move away from oil eventually...they'll have to. It's just a matter of when it will run out. Even if they keep finding ways to extract from shale and other tough spots it won't be enough.

Well then maybe the rest of the world will finally wake up and make the Saud answer for their crimes against women. Do you ever notice how the left is constantly avoiding Criticizing the Saud. For the atrocities they commit. No one ever says anything about them wiping out Christian communities. Even to this day.

Conley
04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Oh it's not just the left. It's both sides and every country that uses oil, which is most of them.

MMC
04-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Oh it's not just the left. It's both sides and every country that uses oil, which is most of them.

Well truthfully those that are Christians do speak out. I guess I consider them to be more right leaning as in the traditional sense.

Conley
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Well truthfully those that are Christians do speak out. I guess I consider them to be more right leaning as in the traditional sense.

Ah, I thought you were speaking of governments.

keyser soze
04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
With all the can't do talking points it's makes one wonder how we ever made it to the moon. *sigh*...America used to rise to challenges.

Conley
04-09-2012, 08:53 PM
With all the can't do talking points it's makes one wonder how we ever made it to the moon. *sigh*...America used to rise to challenges.

Well Newt has plans for that Moon Base. :laugh: I wonder what he was smoking that day.

MMC
04-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Yeah.....that was before people forgot what John F Kennedy Said. Now it's more like Smith in the Matrix Revolutions. Me, Me, and more Me!

keyser soze
04-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Which started in the Reagan years....

MMC
04-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Which started in the Reagan years....

Actually it became more pronounced.....as evidenced by the Entertainment field, for one.