PDA

View Full Version : President Obama's imperial presidency

pjohns
06-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Syndicated columnist George Will--who is, broadly speaking, a conservative; but who does not march in lockstep with any group--has recently characterized President Obama's imperial (and imperious) "offenses against the separation of powers" as "egregious in quantity and qualitatively different" from those of his predecessors. (This dovetails rather nicely with the recent observation of left-leaning Georgetown University professor Jonathan Turley that President Obama is "the president Richard Nixon always wanted to be.")

Here is a link to the column by George Will: George F. Will: Stopping a lawless president - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-f-will-stopping-a-lawless-president/2014/06/20/377c4d6e-f7e5-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html)

Oh, and a link to the observations of Jonathan Turley: Liberal Law Prof Delivers Brutal Slam: Obama Is The President Nixon Always Wanted To Be (http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/144440-law-prof-obama-president-nixon-always-wanted/)

Redrose
06-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Well it's obvious to almost everyone, even liberal law professors, so what do we do a out it?

If he isn't stopped soon, he and his pen will completely ruin this country. Left unchecked, the precedents he is establishing will be haunting us for decades.

Redrose
06-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Well it's obvious to almost everyone, even liberal law professors, so what do we do about it?

If he isn't stopped soon, he and his pen will completely ruin this country. Left unchecked, the precedents he is establishing will be haunting us for decades.

Peter1469
06-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Well it's obvious to almost everyone, even liberal law professors, so what do we do about it?

The problem is that Congress should stop him. But they won't. They are rolling over and letting Obama rub their belly.

Matty
06-21-2014, 09:32 PM
The problem is that Congress should stop him. But they won't. They are rolling over and letting Obama rub their belly.
The only thing the house can do is de fund him. The Senate cannot do anything until they the GOP have the majority.

Redrose
06-22-2014, 12:52 AM
The only thing the house can do is de fund him. The Senate cannot do anything until they the GOP have the majority.
I agree totally, but if that ever came to fruition, I fear what the ramifications would be. I fear certain groups in the Black community would riot because "white" America took down the first Black president.
Obama would be elevated to near sainthood by many. His legacy would be rewritten as a martyr not a bad president.

Peter1469
06-22-2014, 07:02 AM
I am not so sure. Other than the activists in the black community, blacks are disappointed in Obama. There would be protests. But they would end up pretty lame.

I agree totally, but if that ever came to fruition, I fear what the ramifications would be. I fear certain groups in the Black community would riot because "white" America took down the first Black president.
Obama would be elevated to near sainthood by many. His legacy would be rewritten as a martyr not a bad president.

Perianne
06-22-2014, 10:58 AM
http://moonbattery.com/graphics/the-blahs.jpg

1751_Texan
06-22-2014, 11:17 AM

That is not correct. It does not take a majority in the house or senate to bring suit against the president's actions.

Suits have been filed in some of the presidents decisions.

Obama's appointments to the NLRB while the Senate was in recess was challenged.
Obama was taken to court on the use of drones to kill americans.
Rand Paul is to file class action suit on Obama's use of NSA spying on Americans.
Hobby Lobby challenged contraception mandate
Obama ACA mandate was challenged

If congress does not act, it is because it does not want to.

Adelaide
06-22-2014, 01:26 PM
That is not correct. It does not take a majority in the house or senate to bring suit against the president's actions.

Suits have been filed in some of the presidents decisions.

Obama's appointments to the NLRB while the Senate was in recess was challenged.
Obama was taken to court on the use of drones to kill americans.
Rand Paul is to file class action suit on Obama's use of NSA spying on Americans.
Hobby Lobby challenged contraception mandate
Obama ACA mandate was challenged

If congress does not act, it is because it does not want to.

Think they're passively allowing it for election purposes for 2014 and 2016? Seems like good ammunition, especially if people don't realise they (people who aren't Obama or Democrats) could have stopped it or at least tried...?

Peter1469
06-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Think they're passively allowing it for election purposes for 2014 and 2016? Seems like good ammunition, especially if people don't realise they (people who aren't Obama or Democrats) could have stopped it or at least tried...?

I think that is a big reason behind most instances of congress ceding authority to the executive branch.

The Xl
06-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Edit:

Wrong thread