PDA

View Full Version : Know Its Place

Perianne
06-27-2014, 01:56 AM
Is government supposed to do things for the people? Is that really government's job?

I say NOT. I say government should get out of the way and let the people live. Protect us from our enemies and things that would harm us as a society, and do the other stuff in the Constitution, but everyone should be responsible for their own and themselves.

Guerilla
06-27-2014, 04:56 AM
Protect us from our enemies? Sounds good the problem is that could be interpreted as many things. The government has interpreted drugs and ideologies to be our enemy, which was a way to manipulate us into allowing them more power. The things that harm society? What are those? They could be interpreted as anything by anyone, easily manipulated for government to overextend, so it kind of scares me when you say that.

Government was never expected to know it's place, everyone including the founding fathers understood that government always grows and takes liberties, thus all the checks and balances and oversight and stress on "we the people". We are the ones that are supposed to put government in it's place. But we can't, and haven't been able to for a while. The constitution sound great, but it didn't work, and hasn't for a while.

Why? Mostly because this is a government that stretches across the continent with around 330 million people. Who in their right mind would think that would be manageable. With that many people, we can't organize well to put the brakes on government.

Another big problem is the differing cultures or subcultures, and subpopulations, that don't have any real control over what's going on at the federal level. None of them will feel completely represented at any one time, causing more division and frustration.

Codename Section
06-27-2014, 07:07 AM
I agree, but the government also protects businesses from themselves, allows the Fed to artificially manipulate inflation, and a bunch of other stuff which makes it difficult for low income people. There aren't, just aren't enough jobs to feed, shelter, and provide vehicles for all the families in America. So what do we do? Tell them that they aren't allowed to have kids or a wife?

I think communities could take care of their own poor if people in that community didn't lose 40%+ of what they make to federal income, federal payroll, state and local taxes. But that's not going to happen.

America is heading towards the cliff. Be prepared to fly.