PDA

View Full Version : Obama to Unaccompanied Minors: Don't Try to Cross the Border

Mr. Mensch
06-27-2014, 10:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOXdDnyS9AE

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2014/06/27/obama-to-unaccompanied-minors-dont-try-to-cross-the-border-n1856521

Problem solved! Good job Barry!

Kalkin
06-27-2014, 10:57 AM
EOing the dream act gives a contrary message. Obama is a fool.

exotix
06-27-2014, 11:13 AM
If Obama is for it ... conservatives are against it ... so let the children in and Let Freedom Ring !

Kalkin
06-27-2014, 11:17 AM
If Obama is for it ... conservatives are against it ... so let the children in and Let Freedom Ring !
If Obama is for it, lovers of freedom are against it. That's what happens when a Marxist is in the oval office. Suck it up, exo, it's not going to get any easier for his dimwitted base.

Matty
06-27-2014, 11:24 AM
He's a joke. Period.

Common Sense
06-27-2014, 12:34 PM
It's amazing that few people are focusing on why they are coming in mass numbers this year. A long history of American interventionism has something to do with it.

Mainecoons
06-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Oh really? You mean these central American states were wonderful places for their people before?

What nonsense. They're coming because Obama basically told them to come. So they did. He started shooting off his yap and handicapping the border patrol, the papers down there picked it up along with the grapevine, and the stampede started. You have to be so in denial about the direct connection between Obama's actions and words and this stampede that said denial qualifies as a mental illness.

Easy for a Canadian to be in favor of open borders in the U.S. When can we expect Canada to join in?

Adelaide
06-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Oh really? You mean these central American states were wonderful places for their people before?

What nonsense. They're coming because Obama basically told them to come. So they did. He started shooting off his yap and handicapping the border patrol, the papers down there picked it up along with the grapevine, and the stampede started. You have to be so in denial about the direct connection between Obama's actions and words and this stampede that said denial qualifies as a mental illness.

Easy for a Canadian to be in favor of open borders in the U.S. When can we expect Canada to join in?

No, they were not utopian societies before US intervention. But could they have been...? Could they have been better off today without US intervention? Nobody will ever know - probably not is the reality, but it doesn't change that the US did a lot of screwed up things in Central America. That doesn't make illegal immigration alright, though. But I can't really blame people for doing anything they can to live a better life in a better place, it's just not good that it's being gone about illegally rather than through legal means.

I personally don't understand what is wrong with the DREAM Act. The main requirement is to do something that will contribute to society positively; military service or higher education.

I don't think he was advocating for open borders. What does Canada have to do with this?

Matty
06-27-2014, 05:45 PM
No, they were not utopian societies before US intervention. But could they have been...? Could they have been better off today without US intervention? Nobody will ever know - probably not is the reality, but it doesn't change that the US did a lot of screwed up things in Central America. That doesn't make illegal immigration alright, though. But I can't really blame people for doing anything they can to live a better life in a better place, it's just not good that it's being gone about illegally rather than through legal means.

I personally don't understand what is wrong with the DREAM Act. The main requirement is to do something that will contribute to society positively; military service or higher education.

I don't think he was advocating for open borders. What does Canada have to do with this?
Nothing. That's the point.

Mainecoons
06-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Canada is much more strict about illegal immigration, in case you haven't noticed.

It gets tiresome to some of us for Canadians to come to this board and be cheerleaders and/or apologists for the border chaos Obama has created while at the same time your own government pursues a much more Canada centric policy.

It smacks of hypocrisy.

Adelaide
06-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Canada is much more strict about illegal immigration, in case you haven't noticed.

It gets tiresome to some of us for Canadians to come to this board and be cheerleaders and/or apologists for the border chaos Obama has created while at the same time your own government pursues a much more Canada centric policy.

It smacks of hypocrisy.

I readily admit the United States has a much different situation, which is harder to manage. We have basically oceans on all sides and then the US. It's more difficult to immigrate illegally here, although we have an extremely high rate of immigration (legal), services for immigrants, and policies in place to bring about 'smart' immigration that will improve the country in theory by targeting things like specific employment skills.

If you'd like to suggest opinions on how we should manage our illegal immigration population, or if we should have immigration reform, knock your socks off. Problem is, for most Canadian issues it is a discussion between me and 3 other people who know something about Canadian politics and then by page 3 we are discussing Obama. I don't complain about that when I start a thread on Canada...

We're constantly watching US news, US media in general. We learn about it in school. As our biggest trading partner and our neighbour, we take a vested interest. I think we're allowed our opinions, just as you're allowed yours on any country you'd like to discuss.

Mainecoons
06-27-2014, 06:01 PM
You have a very small illegal immigration problem. Microscopic compared to ours.

You simply do not have the first hand experience with this problem.

Adelaide
06-27-2014, 06:05 PM
You have a very small illegal immigration problem. Microscopic compared to ours.

You simply do not have the first hand experience with this problem.

I was going to make a smart ass comment, but it's not worth it. I'll continue to debate US politics and social issues and you can continue telling me I have to live on the US/Mexico border to know what immigration policy is or should be. Sound good?

Matty
06-27-2014, 06:11 PM
I was going to make a smart ass comment, but it's not worth it. I'll continue to debate US politics and social issues and you can continue telling me I have to live on the US/Mexico border to know what immigration policy is or should be. Sound good?
It's true though. While you have an opinion you don't live it. It doesn't cost you a dime. It costs us billions. It costs us jobs, it degrades our schools we've lost hospitals, so while you have an opinion you cannot really know because you don't live it. As I tell commonsense, you have no skin in the game. I like hearing about your country's politics but I would never take sides in your political arguments. That's for you folks to work out.

Mainecoons
06-27-2014, 06:13 PM
You can debate them all you want but that doesn't change the fact that they aren't your issues. And that you have a government that is a great deal wiser than ours, and wiser than many Canadian liberals as well like Common. Otherwise, if the leftist point of view prevailed in Canada you'd be in the same mess the U.S. is in.

Consider yourselves fortunate and don't presume to understand or advise Americans who aren't fortunate enough to live under consistent, conservative government. You are a small country population wise, you haven't tossed your basic idea of primacy at the province level, you're not squandering your resources on trying to police the world or on climate wackoism.

Your government isn't chasing you around the world trying to tax the few bucks a Canadian expat might make on a foreign bank account. As a consequence, Canadians aren't being tossed out wholesale by the world banking community because no one in their right mind would want to deal with the U.S. IRS.

It is far better these days to be a Canadian citizen. I live with a bunch of them and most of the dual citizens (U.S. vs. Canada) are tossing the former as fast as they can.

Adelaide
06-27-2014, 06:20 PM
It's true though. While you have an opinion you don't live it. It doesn't cost you a dime. It costs us billions. It costs us jobs, it degrades our schools we've lost hospitals, so while you have an opinion you cannot really know because you don't live it. As I tell commonsense, you have no skin in the game. I like hearing about your country's politics but I would never take sides in your political arguments. That's for you folks to work out.

Different societies have different strengths and weaknesses. Common or I might bring something up that is thought provoking or a good idea worth discussing, or draw a comparison to another country facing similar problems (Germany is a reasonably good example). Everyone should feel free to discuss any issue that is raised on this forum regardless of who they are.

And how do you know we don't have a stake in it? Many Canadians have relatives in the US. Many have previously lived in the US or studied in the US. Personally, my family owns real estate in the US so certain US policies directly impact my family.

Matty
06-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Different societies have different strengths and weaknesses. Common or I might bring something up that is thought provoking or a good idea worth discussing, or draw a comparison to another country facing similar problems (Germany is a reasonably good example). Everyone should feel free to discuss any issue that is raised on this forum regardless of who they are.

And how do you know we don't have a stake in it? Many Canadians have relatives in the US. Many have previously lived in the US or studied in the US. Personally, my family owns real estate in the US so certain US policies directly impact my family.
Do they vote and pay taxes? Then yes, they have skin in the game. I don't reside in Canada, nor pay taxes, I would not take sides. I think the difference in your discussions and those of commonsense's is that he acts just like a democrat. We have enough democrats down here, we don't need imported ones. :). That's what I mean when I say I love hearing about your politics. I learn. But since I don't live in your country I would never take sides politically. I might comment and ask questions but that is all.

Mainecoons
06-27-2014, 07:12 PM
What I am trying to get you Canadians to understand is that you can't relate to what is going on in the U.S. on a personal level. You simply don't have the dysfunctional, oppressive, corrupt government that Americans are saddled with now. You have no NSA spying on you, OK maybe ours is. You don't have the IRS oppressing you around the globe and causing banks to regard you as pariahs. You don't have the lying, the blatant working against your interests from your government that Americans do from theirs.

You have nothing more than a theoretical grasp of American issues. Because of that, your real understanding of what is going on below you is fatally deficient.

If I were a Canadian, I'd be pushing for my own border fence to keep the American government out of my country.

Matty
06-27-2014, 07:20 PM
What I am trying to get you Canadians to understand is that you can't relate to what is going on in the U.S. on a personal level. You simply don't have the dysfunctional, oppressive, corrupt government that Americans are saddled with now. You have no NSA spying on you, OK maybe ours is. You don't have the IRS oppressing you around the globe and causing banks to regard you as pariahs. You don't have the lying, the blatant working against your interests from your government that Americans do from theirs.

You have nothing more than a theoretical grasp of American issues. Because of that, your real understanding of what is going on below you is fatally deficient.

If I were a Canadian, I'd be pushing for my own border fence to keep the American government out of my country.
Don't give them ideas. We need them to take the overflow.

Peter1469
06-27-2014, 07:43 PM
The Canadian intel services are in bed with the NSA, just as most western nations' intel services are.

Adelaide
06-27-2014, 11:47 PM

Ever think that is a good reason for us to comment on US issues? We have a government who is doing some things really right, some things sort of right and some things are debatable.

Peter is right - our version of the CIA/NSA spies on us probably as much as your NSA or they wouldn't be building the most expensive government building in history to do it from (for my country). We do not know the extent, but they work with the NSA regularly, as well as the British GCHQ, Australia's DSD and New Zealand's GCSB under ECHELON.

I don't have to live somewhere else to have a firm grasp on American politics. We are inundated with it daily. Canadians probably know more about American politics than Canadian. And many Canadians probably know more about US politics than some Americans. It's just a fact that we see and read your news every day. We watch your entertainment. We read your books. We study your history. We listen to your music. So on, and so forth. I can name every president since before my country was a country, but I forget some Canadian prime ministers. We're overexposed to your politics and culture. Those of us paying attention can debate it, and will. What you do, impacts us. I was reading Chomsky, Woodward, John Perkins and the like by the time I was 14. Why? Because of 9/11 and Bush. We have 158 dead soldiers to show for it.

Maybe the Canadian government could help with your immigration issues. I don't see why we could not come to an agreement to take some of your illegal immigrants and grant them legal status here.

Kalkin
06-28-2014, 01:41 AM
Has Canada stepped up and offered to take the thousands of illegal minors streaming across our southern border, or do we just have a few Canucks telling us they think it's our fault and we should be more compassionate?

Compassion is easy on someone else's dime.